Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
mowog
Discovery 4

Default Living with FEZ

It’s been almost week since the XR4 arrived; I have had some fairly strong opinions about the Fiesta in the past and got into some flame wars with lovers of the little fella. At the time the XR4 was not available and many of the flamers were living on the glory of a car that wasn’t for sale in our market. Well the XR4 has been with us for a little while now and has developed a real fan base out there.

After a week my opinion hasn’t changed a great deal about the Fiesta, it’s a fine little car and a great run about. On the issue of performance the jury is out on that the engine is still very tight and needs some time to give its best. But I don’t think it will ever be the performance car some here think it is.

Handling I don’t see what all the fuss is about it’s a fine little car that steers well but it still drives like a small FWD hatch, it sure isn’t like its on rails or some giant killer as it’s made out to be by some here. It’s a capable little car against its peers but it’s not really the outstanding handler some people would have you believe it is.

It’s interesting to read about some of the issues people have with the XR4 and one of those is the Aircon cycling. My 18 year old son has told me that he has this problem when he drives the XR4. When I drive it I don’t get the problem, I think this issue must have some root cause in how the car is driven.

Choices… I have a Territory Ghia AWD and an XR6 Turbo Ute as stable mates for the XR4. Each car has its merits I would not fill the back of the XR4 with rubbish for a tip run. And I wouldn’t take the XR4 on an extended road trip simply because I have better cars for that job. The road trip choice comes down to how many people (and dogs) are going. The XR6 is always my first choice it uses less fuel than the Territory on a trip and its overtaking ability is just bloody great. The Territory comes out if a bit of light off road stuff is on the agenda or if I need more seats.

The XR4 well its doing a great job in the fleet as run about. Doing delivery work for the wife’s dressmaking business and going to shops. I would never own an XR4 as my only car the thing is just too limited for my life style. The kids love it, it has a cool factor for Generation Y and it has a great safety package which as parent gives me some piece of mind when the kids are out in it.

To sum up the XR4 is a fine little around town car for shopping duties and day trips. I can see why to Generation Y it has some hero status, but to older buggers like me it’s just a shopping car.

Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

XR4>Bogan mobile
Old 15-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
XR4>Bogan mobile
x2 for me too.

Mowog. The Xr4's Abilities do not shine through completely untill you take it on a bit of twisty roads. then you will notice the cars potential and true ability. Surely you of all people should know that you cannot soley judge a car on how it handles and goes in a suburban area.

Old 15-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Quite a statement from someone that drives a taxi.
Old 15-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
x2 for me too.

Mowog. The Xr4's Abilities do not shine through completely untill you take it on a bit of twisty roads. then you will notice the cars potential and true ability. Surely you of all people should know that you cannot soley judge a car on how it handles and goes in a suburban area.
You are correct to a point...

I have taken it out and done highway speeds and there are some twisty roads where I live. I havent done an extended trip but the observations are based on a range of roads and speeds.

This weekend a day trip is planned I will take it for a run to Toowoomba to get some klms under the wheels.

Dont get me wrong its a fine little car. I just dont see the awesome car some people here talk about.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 15-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLee
Quite a statement from someone that drives a taxi.
A Taxi? Please explain... I have yet to see a Ute used as a Taxi... :
Lotus Trooper.
Old 16-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Oh, you've got a ute. I skim-read the post

I've seen a couple XR6Ts used for taxi though... I was wondering "Umm why?"
Old 16-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Handling I don’t see what all the fuss is about it’s a fine little car that steers well but it still drives like a small FWD hatch, it sure isn’t like its on rails or some giant killer as it’s made out to be by some here. It’s a capable little car against its peers but it’s not really the outstanding handler some people would have you believe it is.
The magazines disagree with you Having said that, I'd still trade up to a quicker car if I could afford to, I'm willing to lose a bit of handling go for RWD + power.
Old 17-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
The magazines disagree with you Having said that, I'd still trade up to a quicker car if I could afford to, I'm willing to lose a bit of handling go for RWD + power.
My observations of the XR4 are just “My” opinion what motoring journalist have to say isn’t really important to me. Besides how many of you have read a review in any of the motoring press and said that’s crap?

I haven’t said the XR4 is a bad car it just doesn’t match the hype that is out there. In fact the more I drive it the less I like it. But I guess that’s because I get out of the XR6 and get in the XR4 to go on some errand, and what I get is a noisy small car with an uncomfortable ride. But the kids love it and they drive it the most. But you know what given a choice the kids would take the XR6…
Lotus Trooper.
Old 17-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
My observations of the XR4 are just “My” opinion what motoring journalist have to say isn’t really important to me. Besides how many of you have read a review in any of the motoring press and said that’s crap?

I haven’t said the XR4 is a bad car it just doesn’t match the hype that is out there. In fact the more I drive it the less I like it. But I guess that’s because I get out of the XR6 and get in the XR4 to go on some errand, and what I get is a noisy small car with an uncomfortable ride. But the kids love it and they drive it the most. But you know what given a choice the kids would take the XR6…
Agree with you wholeheartedly here mowog, and IMO it's good to hear all kinds of feedback

I have one and love it, but can also name a gazillion cars that are better. Hype says one thing, bums in seats and resale says another....

I too, must say that if I had bought the car soley on hype, I'd be severely disappointed - it is a noisy small car, although I don't mind the harder than usual ride.... but it's a good fun car that floats my boat........

Of course most "kids" will like the XR6 / Territory better, but bang for your back I couldn't find anything comparible for 25k that ticked my boxes...... I have an XR8 ute, another V8 ford plus a few dattos in the garage (1 is a race car), and am realist enough to know that it ain't perfect, but it'll do me.......

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Old 17-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
XR4>Bogan mobile
that's bogan-ette to you..... :

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Old 17-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

[quote]Very few women reveal their age................and even fewer men act it[/quote HAHAHAAH thats so true hahahahah

Old 17-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Sorry to come out ubrupt but I dont understand why in the wolrd you would by the Fiesta XR4 if (going by our comments) no one in the family has any interest in it besides it being a shopping cart?? You seemed to be happy with the beep beep barina's, maybe you should have stuck with the badge.....

I own one and will defend it to death and have my reasons for buying it. Shopping cart is not one of them. Yes its not a 100% perfect car and does have a few rough edges but i honestly think if you come from a single minded metality you wont appreciate such a great car like the XR4.
Old 17-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Sorry to come out ubrupt but I dont understand why in the wolrd you would by the Fiesta XR4 if (going by our comments) no one in the family has any interest in it besides it being a shopping cart?? You seemed to be happy with the beep beep barina's, maybe you should have stuck with the badge.....

I own one and will defend it to death and have my reasons for buying it. Shopping cart is not one of them. Yes its not a 100% perfect car and does have a few rough edges but i honestly think if you come from a single minded metality you wont appreciate such a great car like the XR4.
I think I said earlier if Holden hadn't done the Daewoo thing my choice would have been different the current Corsa is great little car.

I have said as a parent why I like the car but I could never own a car in this class as my only car there are just to many limitations.

Fact is the XR4 in this family is a run about and a shopping car. If you brought it as a sports car well thats fine and I wont challenge your reasons. As I said these are my observations and they are here for anyone to read if they are thinking about buying an XR4.

I love the hot hatch formular and I have owned a few...

A MKI Morris Cooper S
A Suzuki Swift GTi (series 1)
2 Barina SRi's
And a string of modified Mini Mokes one of which would challenge most hot hatches today.

So I am no stranger to this class of car and I have enjoyed driving them over the years. Based on my past experiance the XR4 is a good car but very much over hyped.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 17-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Just wondering, before buying the XR4, have you checked out and test drove other warm superminis like SwiftSport, PuntoSport, Ralliart Colt, Polo GTI, C2 VTS etc?
Old 17-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLee
Just wondering, before buying the XR4, have you checked out and test drove other warm superminis like SwiftSport, PuntoSport, Ralliart Colt, Polo GTI, C2 VTS etc?
The swift was considered... Wife and kids didnt like it... Didn't like the Colt the Fiat was just plain un-interesting. And I will never buy a french car.

The Polo was close but insurance issues because of it being a Turbo killed it off as a choice.

I wanted a car in this class for the kids to drive I didn't buy the XR4 because its a hot hatch or a performance car. I brought it because it has a good level of safety features and a reasonable level of performance. All the Fiesta's below it were excluded because none were the total package I was looking for.

To all you guys who love this car, fine I can understand that because I feel the same way about my XR6 Turbo. I am not putting the XR4 down or challenging your choice I am just say for me it does not meet the Hype it has been given here or in the press.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 17-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Oh I'm just wondering. I love too many cars to be an extreme fanatic of a certain brand or certain model of car. I love the XR6T as much as XR4, Gallardo, XR5T, F430, etc.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People buy cars to satisfy a cetain need or desire. These needs or desires will vary from person to person. I can see the reasoning behind buying an XR4 as a 'run about' car...... Cheap to run, a bit of fun to drive and safe for all passengers. I can also see how it wins alot of respect among people for being the capable little car that it is.

I once purchased a BF xr6 with a six speed auto based soley on the hype and rave revews it was getting, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be... other people think they are the ducks guts! It all comes down to personal taste people.

Lets also not forget that the XR4 is aimed at a certain age bracket. The XR4 is NOT a sports car.....but it is a bit sporty.
Old 18-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #19
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

So what is your point? Do you like it?
Are you bagging it?
Are you bagging people who like it?
It's been known all along it could handle more power, & it is getting long in the tooth now. It's just another small sporty hatch amongst about 4 or 5 at that price. It's not a 205 GTI, but no-one makes anything like that anymore.
Personally, I wouldn't mind one with the 185bhp Mountune upgrade. Then again, a Polo GTI might be more tunable.
Not really sure what will be available when I'm ready to buy a new car.
Anyway, your kids have a much nicer car than what I got to run around in, Hillman Avenger wagon.
Old 18-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #20
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
So what is your point? Do you like it?
Are you bagging it?
Are you bagging people who like it?
Do I like it... I buy food I dont like all the time but that is for others in the house. I buy appliances that no male would ever use I dont dislike them but I have to buy them to keep the ladies in the family looking pretty. The XR4 would never be my only choice as a car. I can spend $26k and not be pleased with the result because I just wont be using it that much. My reasons for buying are very different to the Gen Y group this car is marketed at.

I am not bagging the car I am giving my point of view and if you read the posts you will see that. Lots of people on this forum give feedback on their cars I am doing the same.

Bagging the people well they do that to themseleves by being over sensitive to feedback they dont like they just need to get over it.

The XR4 is not a bad car simple... "For Me" it does not match the hype, if you were to ask my 18 year old son who manages to get the keys most of time he will have a different opinion.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 18-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

I wholeheartedly agree with mowog that the XR4 is a tad overrated, and while it is a decent car I think its not that much of a bump over the Fiesta Zetec I owned to warrant its purchase.

However, when he talks about it being "too slow for him," I can't help but burst out in a fit of laughter when I remember the tales of his Corolla Slowtivo... sorry, Sportivo and how thrilled with it he was! Seriously.... 2ZZ Sportivo with fart pipe lines me up in Sport Clio... 4th gear 60km/h, he goes 2nd gear 60km/h, we gun it... Sportivo hangs with me until 75 and then gets put behind.

2ZZ Celica has a go from a stop, from a roll, trying to take me by "surprise," gets put behind each time. 2ZZ Corolla Sportivo tries a mate's Megane 225 on with five people in the car, four of them 100kg blokes, and one 45-50kg chick... and gets put car lengths behind. They're extremley slow cars. They're bang on level with an XR4 in a drag, worse under brakes and worse under corners. By that logic, you should be chuffed with the XR4? The 2.0 Duratec craps all over the 2ZZ-GE from any technical standpoint you care to mention, the car brakes and handles better...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 18-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

So you don't believe the hype? Thanks for telling the Fiesta forum that, what sort of response did you expect from that statement?
Pretty sure I know what kind of response I'd get if I told the XR6T forum I thought they were over-rated.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #23
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
So you don't believe the hype? Thanks for telling the Fiesta forum that, what sort of response did you expect from that statement?
Pretty sure I know what kind of response I'd get if I told the XR6T forum I thought they were over-rated.
Mate there are plenty of people in the Performance section and the Territory section who given honest opinions. The problem here the target group is mostly Generation "Y" who cant be told anything they dont dont believe to be true.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I wholeheartedly agree with mowog that the XR4 is a tad overrated, and while it is a decent car I think its not that much of a bump over the Fiesta Zetec I owned to warrant its purchase.

However, when he talks about it being "too slow for him," I can't help but burst out in a fit of laughter when I remember the tales of his Corolla Slowtivo... sorry, Sportivo and how thrilled with it he was! Seriously.... 2ZZ Sportivo with fart pipe lines me up in Sport Clio... 4th gear 60km/h, he goes 2nd gear 60km/h, we gun it... Sportivo hangs with me until 75 and then gets put behind.

2ZZ Celica has a go from a stop, from a roll, trying to take me by "surprise," gets put behind each time. 2ZZ Corolla Sportivo tries a mate's Megane 225 on with five people in the car, four of them 100kg blokes, and one 45-50kg chick... and gets put car lengths behind. They're extremley slow cars. They're bang on level with an XR4 in a drag, worse under brakes and worse under corners. By that logic, you should be chuffed with the XR4? The 2.0 Duratec craps all over the 2ZZ-GE from any technical standpoint you care to mention, the car brakes and handles better...

We all move on (Time you did as well) mate while I had it the Corolla was a good car I have no complaints. But I wouldnt own one again.

The 2ZZ-GE producded 141kw from 1.8l thats not a bad effort. It was let down by the factory exhaust which chokes the mid range but a simple rear muffler change fixes that.

Anyway you have made your point re-sportivo a number of times move on and find something new to carry on about.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 18-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

This thread is sounding like a broken record. I will move on and will just be complacent that you have a XR4 in the family weather you like it or not. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 18-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #26
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
This thread is sounding like a broken record. I will move on and will just be complacent that you have a XR4 in the family weather you like it or not. Congrats on the purchase.
Yup I am done...
Lotus Trooper.
Old 23-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

lol....

XR4 is a good car for what it is, but its no competitor to an XR6 Turbo ute, or Territory Ghia Wagon...

Ive driven one and while it was FUN and pulled some looks, it became boring rather fast... As for its huge handling capabilities, most small cars that size with decent rubber handle pretty well thanks to their weight, doesnt mean you can drive them up a mountain 10 times faster then an XR6 Turbo ute...

The car suits some people really well, but to try and compare it to a bigger more expensive car really isnt proving much... Its still a good car and it still caters for many people, as per the ones here who love it.. For 25 kay what comes close??
Old 24-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #28
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

once you've driven a clio sport, the fiesta feels so so so so...

i want a clio sport

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
Old 24-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinw3e
once you've driven a clio sport, the fiesta feels so so so so...

i want a clio sport
OMG another teki/steffo/danny!!

Old 24-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
mowog
Discovery 4

There is a guy on the drive blog claiming that the Clio is a super car and better than the FG XR6 Turbo. The guy has most certainly driven over to many rough roads in his Clio because he has a brain injury.
Lotus Trooper.
Closed Thread