Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WS Fiesta Aircon

Well I think mine is dead. My WP Zetec had fantastic aircon, my aunties Swift feels like your living in an ice age even with the Sunshine Coasts heat and humidity. But no matter what I do my aircon is never beyond acceptable. I've tried leaving it in shade, tried using it during the night when it's cool, turning passenger vents off, changing the dirrection of the air, using reverse cycle, blasting it, nothing works. But the second you turn it on the car looses any sence of power below 5000rpm, so it's doing something. Is this a WS Fiesta trait, or perhaps just mine? I'm taking it to the dealer in a few weeks for them to look over. Fingers crossed it works :-)

So how is your aircon? Is it ok, great or poor?

dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I would rate my wifes air-con in her 2007 Fiesta not that good, her previous car Hyundai 2002 accent was better..... and my BF would blow the pair of them away together.

Some say the Euro cars have crap air--con and good heaters it reflects there climate, and the heater in her Fiesta can be like a sauna.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
south21

My ws aircon is hopless as well, mine turns the compressor on and off avery 10 to 15 seconds you can feel it through the cars performance, it starts to get cold then the compressor turns off the air starts to get warm then it turns back on again for another 15 seconds. I dont think this is normal it would be different if I had the temp control up near the warm section on the dial but I have it set to max cold, does anyone else have a problem similar to mine.

regards

south21
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Zetec Dave

Yeah our WS's aircon is hopeless too. No where near acceptable. On recent hot days, I chose to drive the Honda Jazz and VW Polo over the WS Fiesta Zetec. Asides fro its good looks, great handling and good equipment level, its otherwise useless and hopeless. I mean boot space is pointless and can barely put our new pram in it without needing to jam it in and rear passenger space is squashed especially with a baby seat in the centre. Bluetooth doesn't want to work or connect despite putting in the codes etc and its still gutless (although much better than factory tune) even with the ECU tune for 98 octane fuel. Oh and the total lack of rear passenger lights make it problematic at night.

Probably was a mistake in buying the car. Both me and the wifey are now thinking of buying another car in 2010. If that does happen, then its the shortest period we've owned a car.

Last edited by Zetec Dave; 22-11-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it works ok, if I lived in Germany it would be pefect . But like I've said before my car has no air con at all and I like it like that so I probably don't expect much from a air con. Sometimes you just need to toughen up a bit :p. The car is still quite quick with it turned on, of course like all computer controlled cars the air con will switch off when you are accelerating hard anyway
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
doctamick

I wouldn't say that the air-conditioning in my WS Fiesta is brilliant, however I feel that it is acceptable for a small car. However, the air must be set to recirculate to get decent cooling. My experience is that when the car is on the move, it works well, no matter how hot it is. But when the car is stopped and the engine is idling, the air-conditioning doesn't quite keep up.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
StormyKnight
'09 Vision 5 Dr Man Zetec

Well if you have an issue, it should just be a matter of getting the cars tested....

The temperature at the vents should be around 4 degrees centigrade......

If its not, then all it needs is the thermostat adjusted....this would be especially the case if its turning off before it gets cold enough, its simply set too high.

Turning the thermostat down too much will cause the unit to freeze up ironically!

Now I also have a lancer, its got 180,000km on it & yes with the A/C on is is really sluggish from idle to 4000rpm. Its a fact of life with small engines unfortunately. Unfortunately also the lancer doesn't turn the A/C off under full throttle :(

Anyway if its cycling & still not cold enough then its being told to turn off - get FORD to get it adjusted by a professional....or if your savy enough, just go to the A/C repairer yourself & ask them to stick a thermometer in your vent & see what its doing. Quiz them for advice at the same time!

Cheers
Old 22-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we leave the car in the sun all day, and recently on days over 40deg we did that, the whole large plastic dash is, so so very hot.. We fiddle around with a sunshade (no it wont fit perfect) and get it to sit there, and it has made a huge difference.

But that being said, its not as good as you'd think it should be, for a $22K+ car from Germany.

Where are the ford representatives here? Make us a proper sun shade already!!!
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also a quick note, on the 44deg day recently, even the lcd screen had some bleeding in it while it was really hot...

When I saw it I was thinking Im glad I got the 5 year factory warranty! hehe
Old 22-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
StormyKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Also a quick note, on the 44deg day recently, even the lcd screen had some bleeding in it while it was really hot...
Yes this is typical of an LCD screen when hot...
I have a solar watch & sometimes I don't get enough sun so I have to put it outside in the sun to charge. Many times I have found the screen completely black, but once it cools a bit its fine.

BTW its usually still to hot to wear though....
Old 23-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

I would be getting the refrigerant charge checked.
we complained about ours and they recovered .56Kg of gas from it. Its meant to take .39!!!!
After having that done its much cooler and draws less from the engine.
Apparently its a bit of a factory trait to overgas the system.

But still it sucks. I do auto aircon and I haven't seen such high temps in a new car ever.
The condenser is far too small for our conditions. It needs and extra fan to try and increase condenser cooling to allow it to dissipate the heat in the refrigerant that is being take from the cabin (air con transfers hot to cold only. So heat from the cabin is transferred to outside air)

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
StormyKnight

Blownba, 1. Have you measured the vent temperature & 2. Can the thermostat be adjusted?

& 3..... Perhaps an electric fan on the front of the radiator?
Old 23-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a new Golf GTI on the weekend and took a Polo Club for a drive. Hands down the Polo had FREEZING aircon. I drove the new Prado as the parents are looking into it, it's like Antartica inside. Regardless the Polo had wonderful aircon. Thanks for the tip blown ba, will definitly mention it. I parked the car away from the sun today and it made a marked difference. Now gotta find a screen reflector.
Old 23-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
macou

I had a mini cooper before the Fez, also built in Germany and it went through 2 aircon compressors! It just wasn't built for these conditions and I kinda got used to having no Aircon. I haven't had it for 2 summers now and was excited to be able to use the Fez's today on the way home from work. It was 33 degrees and I thought it did ok, bearing in mind I haven't had any for a few years. Mind you I ended up turning it off and opening the windows as I kinda prefer it that way now. I'll wait for the summer to start and we get a few 40 degree days before I really test it.
macou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
But still it sucks. I do auto aircon and I haven't seen such high temps in a new car ever.
Do you think something like a Focus or something else's air con compressor could be made to fit instead?
Old 23-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

I am still yet to dig around in the air con.
If I can get the vent temps down by giving the condenser extra cooling than I know its undersized. (My BMW E30 was the same till I fitted a MUCH bigger condenser)
I would like to think the Fez has a electronic thermostat OR a variable compressor with fixed orifice TX valve.
I will do my homework and let you know.
I think bigger condenser at this stage will be the way to go as this will dramatically reduce loads on the system as it is able to transfer much greater amounts of heat to the atmosphere.
I could be wrong too.
But once I have checked what setup it runs and what its deficiencies are I can make some recommendations.
I can tell you know something is lacking in the air con systems design. that is certain.

Don't expect anything from this system over 35Deg C. You would be better with a mini fan from supercheap.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
But once I have checked what setup it runs and what its deficiencies are I can make some recommendations.
Yeah definitely let us know what you find. If there is a relatively straight forward way to get it crankin better, ill do it!
Old 24-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by macou
I had a mini cooper before the Fez, also built in Germany and it went through 2 aircon compressors! It just wasn't built for these conditions and I kinda got used to having no Aircon. I haven't had it for 2 summers now and was excited to be able to use the Fez's today on the way home from work. It was 33 degrees and I thought it did ok, bearing in mind I haven't had any for a few years. Mind you I ended up turning it off and opening the windows as I kinda prefer it that way now. I'll wait for the summer to start and we get a few 40 degree days before I really test it.

It will be VERY hot since your car is black.

For myself, the best so far I can get is close front windows, and open back windows a little bit and put the Air con on and crank it up to 3 and you're good to go.
Old 24-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Three-Door so I'm screwed, can't open my rear windows! It's funny because the Barina has pop-out rear windows, which I think are quite nifty.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
StormyKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
I have a Three-Door so I'm screwed, can't open my rear windows! It's funny because the Barina has pop-out rear windows, which I think are quite nifty.
he he he...that would be the only thing LOL
Old 26-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The aircon in my WS CL is shithouse, to put it plainly. It takes a while to actually kick in once you first turn it on, then its only mildly cool at best.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

My Mrs WQ aircon is pretty average, she's had it looked at under warranty and they did do something to it, but its still average. As its looking like a long, hot summer we're going to take it back again.

I don't know if its to do with the fact these cars are designed with European winters in mind; but if this was the case surely as the new Fiesta is a 'global' car surely the non-euro models would have beefed up aircon.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:

:evil3:
Old 26-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm lost, what's so funny?
Old 28-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
golden
2009 WS Moondust Silver

My WS LX A/C is great, can't fault it. I also have it tinted.
My prevoius WQ zetec wasn't real flash, the compressor would be constantly clicking on and off. Ford couldn't fix it. It was the main reason why I traded it.
Cheers
golden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
I'm lost, what's so funny?
uhh, my bad if you find it offensive.
Old 29-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't even know what you thought was funny?

Golden I'm happy you got a good aircon. Some have great aircon, some crap. Very patchy.
Old 30-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #28
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
I don't even know what you thought was funny?

Golden I'm happy you got a good aircon. Some have great aircon, some crap. Very patchy.
Sorry, now, I realise it doesn't find funny at all. Despite I own a 3 Door as well :\ it is sitting at home, desperately to get fixed.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #29
EG30

I find my sister's WS zetec's A/C on a sunny warmish day it's a bit marginal already and it's not even hot summer yet here in WA.

The car has tint and glare strip on windscreen, but it's Steel Grey so dark coloured.

I wonder if others share the same view with a white or silver car?

Cos I've been considering a zetec manual for myself, but have doubts about its A/C, quality issues and marginal after sales tech support at the dealers.
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #30
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is Frozen White and the air-con is only just acceptable.

I have had no quality issues, and the one rattle that annoyed seems to have disappeared. My after sales service has been good too, no My Ford magazine or anything overly exciting, but they washed the car when I took it in :-)