Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 27-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Picked up Fiesta Zetec Yesterday

Hi All,

well we added another Ford to our stable yesterday. My cousin (who lives with me) bought a new Fiesta Zetec in Sqeeze. It is the 3 door varient. I confess I had a lot of influence on her decision and am really happy with the car. Just running it in and am met with the constant brake smell every time we get out of the car. It handles really well and the stability control is fun to play with (especially with all the rain we have been having in Sydney). Almost punched a hole in the floor pressing the clutch (I'm used to be XR8)! It is very roomy for such a little car! I'm 6 foot 2" and 90 kilos and fit very comfortably in the car. Even with someone behind me!

The only issue I have with this car over the 5 door is the inability to check your blindspots. The shape is such that you really cannot check your blindspot. I'm trying various combinations of rear view mirror and side mirrors to combat this but its proving to be quite the task.

The Zetec looks so very good in the flesh. The photo's on the website just dont make it look different enough but next to a CL/LX, its much nicer! (Guess also the 5 door Zetec doesnt come with side skirts, dont know whats with that!!). I wish there was an XR4 option (I hope one doesnt come out in the next 12 months either since we just got this!!)

Are there any issues/concerns we should keep our eyes open for that people are aware of?

Cheers.

kypez

Oh I will add pictures this evening when I get home!

kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
glavas

"The Zetec looks so very good in the flesh" are you kidding me its the size of a small bed!!!! looks even worse then the mondeo. congrats anyway i would have bought a wrx or something if i were buying a small car.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
"The Zetec looks so very good in the flesh" are you kidding me its the size of a small bed!!!! looks even worse then the mondeo. congrats anyway i would have bought a wrx or something if i were buying a small car.
WRX is twice the price?!

Only other cars in this group were the Yaris, Jazz, Getz, Polo, etc.

I really like the look of it. Each to their own. Its a girls car.
Old 27-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
XR8putts

Quote:
It looks fantastic for a chick's car! Especially considering it's bland competition.

You'd rather get a WRX? -Well I'd rather get a G6E-Turbo. See why my comment is silly?

Congrats on the purchase Kypez.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
WRX is twice the price?!

Only other cars in this group were the Yaris, Jazz, Getz, Polo, etc.

I really like the look of it. Each to their own. Its a girls car.

okay well if its price your worried about get a lancer? there okay
Old 27-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
okay well if its price your worried about get a lancer? there okay
Now THATS an UGLY CAR!! Especially in Sportsback.

Also, its is 25KW more but almost 300 kilos heavier. I think you're failing to get the picture. We needed and wanted a SMALL car. The Colt is direct competition to the Fiesta. But that again I find ugly.

You're comparing apples with oranges. They might be the same price, but if you want apples, you dont buy the oranges just cause they are the same price!
Old 27-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
UKXR8

I think the Fiesta is a great, good looking car with superb handling.
Congratulations on your choice, so much nicer than some of the depressingly bland, style-free cars that are coming out of the land of the rising sun these days.
Word on the streets over here is that there is a hot Fiesta on the way, should be out in the next year or so.

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

I like the look of them,the fiesta has a very nice layout on the inside and the outside will hold its look for years to come imo,good choice.
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Hi All,

well we added another Ford to our stable yesterday. My cousin (who lives with me) bought a new Fiesta Zetec in Sqeeze. It is the 3 door varient. I confess I had a lot of influence on her decision and am really happy with the car.
Well done kypez, I hope your cousin is equally pleased with her new acquisition.
Getting a nice small car with personality is tricky these days but Ford is on a
winner with the Fiesta, it has a great mix of style and options.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Great purchase.

I'm a 6'4" male, and I bought one as soon as it came out (love my small cars). There will be an XR4, probably in 12-18 months. (which I shall own ...)

No issues/concerns. When you take it in for it's first 3000kms service, make sure they update the software, as there's a reflash which improves fuel economy even further (hard to believe). Although hopefully your dealer has done this pre-delivery (some don't).

Also there's a service recall with a wiring harness around the brake booster hose. Nothing to worry about at all, just check it's been done.

Reverse can be hard to get into with these gearboxes. If you want to make sure every time, depress the clutch, put the box in neutral, release the clutch and then depress again and select reverse.

Fly around corners with it and feel the grip and roadholding ...

Great car.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The Fiesta's a great lil car, well put together. Run it in properly.

And if BOM is right about potentially severe cyclonic activity over NSW (SYD/WOLL/HUNTER etc) this Sunday the 30th, its rear fog might just be handy:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a CL in the same model, its surprisingly roomy for the driver and front passenger, I'm 6 foor 117kg and I'm comfortable driving it.

(Its also up for sale )
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
G6E Turbo 2

My wife has a new Zetec Fiesta but an Auto so you have to row
it down the road with the gear stick up hill it's pretty sad
But then I get into my G6ET and I feel much better

She loves it though and thats all that matters
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
My wife has a new Zetec Fiesta but an Auto so you have to row
it down the road with the gear stick up hill it's pretty sad
But then I get into my G6ET and I feel much better

She loves it though and thats all that matters
Yeah, I'd imagine the Auto being a little gutless. Dont know why ford are offering two motors. I really cant see the logic behind it.

Thanks for the replies. I havent had much trouble with reverse on it (mind you I'm used to my XR8 with the 3650 box that is pure EVIL!). Now I just have to teach my cousin to stop stalling the car on hills.

Oh and she loves the car. Had to drag her out of it last night to get her to sleep in the house! The colour has grown on me as well.

The XR4 version should be interesting. Imagine if they fit the ecoboost 4 into it with the DSG box!! (wakes up from dream! I'd prefer manual, but those DSG's make for some quick sprint times)

Only thing I dont get is why they are using drums for the rear? Cost saving?
Old 27-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Only thing I dont get is why they are using drums for the rear? Cost saving?
Most if not all cars in the same segment have the same, discs on the front and drums in the rear, probably because they don't really need rear discs to stop well.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #16
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Hmm...you do realise this is a FORD forum? Just saying, its hardly a good start to bag someone that has just got a brand new Ford.....especially by suggesting a frankly inapropriate alternative.....

In addition, the 'size of a bed claim' is quite funny given its one of the larger light cars out there (not 'small' segment at all really). Based on your assessment, this entire class of car would not exist, given the yaris, getz, swift, mazda 2 et all are all as small if not smaller. Bit closed minded no?

I say, each to their own. Moreover, given the Fiesta is the widely accepted class leader (in manual at least) based on quality, drive, features and dollars, i think its a great purchase by kypez's cousin. Oh, and you have the dubious honour of being the first person i have ever had call the new fiesta Ugly..... Everyone i've spoken to loves it, especially in the squeeze colour....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
Fled74
The Thread Killa

What about labelling the Fiesta a "girl's car"? Now THAT's closed-minded.

Assigning gender to vehicles is pointless and condescending. A lot of women drive sixes and eights too (utes even) - and you don't hear people calling them girl cars.

People need to realise that there are manly men out there who happen to be small car enthusiasts.
To disregard a great car like the Fiesta because of its size or some sexist notion is to miss out on a great driving experience.

In case you're wondering, yes, I'm a small car enthusiast. I'm a burly, skinheaded, goateed bloke, and I drive my Fiesta with pride. I'd happily drive a six or an eight, but small cars float my boat.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Last edited by Fled74; 28-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I think squeeze is a femine colour. Heck in Europe they have the lipstick colour one. A pink Ferrari in my eyes is similarly a girls car.

Just a personal opinion.

Last edited by kypez; 28-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
I think squeeze is a femine colour. Heck in Europe they have the lipstick colour one. A pink Ferrari in my eyes is similarly a girls car.
I agree, but I've seen girls driving V8s in "manly" colours too.

Anyway, congrats on the new Fez. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I agree, but I've seen girls driving V8s in "manly" colours too.

Anyway, congrats on the new Fez. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

That is true. I guess its strange but it doesnt work both ways. I think even lambo advertised its white gallardo as feminie and the black as masculine. (the ads they had a little while ago, youtube has them).

As I said, its not the car I calling a girls car, its the colour combination in my opinion (an opinion that no one else needs to agree with, but its my view and reasoning behind the influence on the purchase with my cousin). The Squeeze colour seems to scream "girls just want to have fun" in my head!

I'd take a black XR4, lowered, good size wheels and brake upgrades in a heartbeat. Its just so much fun to drive. The XR8 feels like a boat now.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

the XR4s have the disc rear, maybe look at some wreckers or something for a rear brake setup off one

it is a girls car. due to majority of owners/drivers being females.
thats how cars etc get a reputation of gender based cars. and so forth.
anybody getting upset over anything is just insecure... cos end of the day, who gives a ****** what somebody says, its your car, you buy it because you like it and enjoy it.

and who cares if somebody mentioned a WRX, having a forum of complete Ford bias is worse than people with open minds on it.

Sandtrap Motorsport's BF XR6T wagon -- to tow around the Capri ^^^

www.facebook.com/SandtrapMotorsport
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
But it is a girls car thats why my wife bought one In saying that shes probably driven more ball tearing v8s then any girl ive ever met.

I think they are great for a small car handling wise, The engines are underdone but appropriate for the class. They are roomy for the size and im a big guy.

Dont comprehend how they are in the same realm as a wrx as suggested earlier in the thread though, i guess some people are just not that bright.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #23
WASP
Whipple Induced

Great little car and if you grabbed the manual, it's the best option from my experience. I bought my wife a beautiful pather black Zetec with the optional 17" wheels. One year later I still consider this to be a very smart looking and well built vehicle. Ours is an auto however and is terribly under powered. Apart from the power and thus economy penality, we have very few compliants about it so far.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #24
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Great little car and if you grabbed the manual, it's the best option from my experience. I bought my wife a beautiful pather black Zetec with the optional 17" wheels. One year later I still consider this to be a very smart looking and well built vehicle. Ours is an auto however and is terribly under powered. Apart from the power and thus economy penality, we have very few compliants about it so far.
Thought about the 17's but aftermarket ones were better value. (read cheaper!!)

She got the manual. She didnt like the sound of a 1.4L motor. I didnt test drive it (the auto), but we had 4 people in the maunal car and it stuggled in 4th up a hill (admittedly, i was really in the wrong gear at the time for the car, I'm used to the XR8). I'd image the auto would be slower still. I really wish the DSG box gets here quick. I think Ford would lose some sales given the 1.4 auto combination.
Old 28-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
glavas

i dont understand how they can be a great driving experience people there SLOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just cant fathom it.
Old 28-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
i dont understand how they can be a great driving experience people there SLOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just cant fathom it.
To me, Its about being able to corner well with the car, flick it between corners, let it slide a little without ever feeling that the car is going to do something unexpected. A responsive chassis will be far more rewarding than mere hp. Also, Being ball tearingly fast isnt always the best. I think Top Gear (or was it 5th Gear) did that with a Swift and a GTR. Given the twisty's and nature of the road, the GTR didnt really leave the Swift for dead, it couldnt get itself going, where the Swift was great fun.

The Fiesta does this without you having to wrestle the car or have to be acutely careful. There is a fun factor to be had with this car. I know sliding (all 4 wheels) the XR8 is not fun and given the size of the boat, room for error is very little. its harder to recover and tends to slide off the surface rather than a progressive slide you get from a lighter car.
Old 28-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
Keyan
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Most if not all cars in the same segment have the same, discs on the front and drums in the rear, probably because they don't really need rear discs to stop well.

Agree! Economy car are all small, and wheels are small, (mostly), hence the rear disc (if fitted) is small, which mean the contact area is limited, and the stopping power is little. so the advantage of disc brake is not there, plus disc brake cost more.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #28
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan
Agree! Economy car are all small, and wheels are small, (mostly), hence the rear disc (if fitted) is small, which mean the contact area is limited, and the stopping power is little. so the advantage of disc brake is not there, plus disc brake cost more.
Yeah, I believe you're right. There isnt that much mass on them nor do people usually drive them out of the skins to warrant the need for 4 disks. The models that are dedicated to that do get the brake upgrade (XR4).

Though, it couldnt have hurt. I know my sisters old 206cc had rear disks. They were small, but boy did that car pull up!!
Old 28-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #29
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
They are painfully slow but get the spped up then hit the corners and they go well. My wifes is embaressingly just as quick on my favourite road as my 340rwkw xr6t as the turbo smashes the straights but you spend more time braking and accelerating again compared to the fiesta i just leave in third and barely have a need for the brakes.

Kypez how do you get it to slide at all, my wifes dsc is so aggressive it cuts in before anything can happen in that regards and i cant find a way to switch it off.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #30
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_by_ford
They are painfully slow but get the spped up then hit the corners and they go well. My wifes is embaressingly just as quick on my favourite road as my 340rwkw xr6t as the turbo smashes the straights but you spend more time braking and accelerating again compared to the fiesta i just leave in third and barely have a need for the brakes.

Kypez how do you get it to slide at all, my wifes dsc is so aggressive it cuts in before anything can happen in that regards and i cant find a way to switch it off.
Exactly! My XR8 is such a pain as well with the little cars have a 700 kilo weight advantage.

I have to admit, I've only ever driven the car when slightly damp so that helped slide it before the mentioned DSC kicks in. I gotta find the fuse for it. But hopefully that doesnt cause the car to not drive (failsafes).