Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 205/40/17 Tyres

Hey fellas. So I've finally taken the bullet and will be getting some new 17" alloys for my car in the next few weeks. I've been doing a fair bit of research into brands, sizes, speed ratings and so on. I've read the expert reviews in the car magazines and asked a few tyre places but I can't help but feel they're a little biased, so I guess the best way to get an opinion is to ask. I'm happy to spend more if it means I get a superior tyre. As a few here have upgraded to 17" and there are XR4 members here, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
InnerDevil
Owner Of The Evil ST

Mine are Falken ZE912 205/40RZ17, Ive read on the Ford Fiesta XR4 Forums that there one of the best tyres out there on the market

I haven't encountered any wheel spin at all with these, i have a few times in the wet while testing it... (thrashing it) around corners but never in a straight line or while moving off uphill in the wet

I can't give u a price as i got them with my rims as a package
Panther Black

17" Lenso Type M ~ Wrapped w/ Falken Tyres
Pedders Sports Ryder Lowered Springs
St Rear Spoiler
InnerDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

I've had great experience with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo ... not as expensive as the Euro premium tyres, but in my opinion a great everyday and performance tyre combination ... a little noisy for some people, but really good grip through corners, and never had a problem in the wet.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyo Teo Plus .. cannot recommend them highly enough, top quality Japanese made silica tyre at a reasonable price, extremely quiet, handle very well, good wear, good grip .. got them on the wife's Lancer, very impressed.

They are not available however in 205/40R17 as you stated but are available in 205/45R17 which is next to no difference of course .. in fact the 45 series profile is perhaps even better as you will have slightly more sidewall which would increase the comfort level a touch .. 40 series tyres can be a bit hard and crashy!

http://www.toyo.com.au/TEO%20plus.htm
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I still love the Uniroyal Rainsports I have, and a bargain (although not sure whether they are still available) at $135 a corner.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Toyo Proxe T1R. You won't regret it.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so far everyone has a different tyre... hahahaha

is it easier now danny? hahahaha
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
trento
Audiophile

I'm loving my Nexen N6000's only 150each and comparable to the conti contact2's I had previously.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys. A lot of different ones there, but I'm really liking the sound of those Toyo tyres Rob. I'm getting a lot of Toyo suggestions, as my mate says a great no compromise tyre at a cheaper price that other big brands. Falken has popped up a few times too. Thanks heaps fellas, and keep the suggestions flowing. Am making a list and hitting the shops in a week or so and pricing them up. The Fez is gonna look ace with some 17's on it!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you getting the ford factory 17's from euro danny?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i have toyo T1R's on my focus......they have been the perfect tyre, top of the line,

will be getting Bridgestone Potenza RE001 when they are due, an even much better tyre. It all comes down to what you will use it for. Cause the bridgestones are 245 a corner. Then again the focus is SC'd lol.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably don't need the $245 tyres, seeing as it's only a Zetec Fiesta hahaha! Still, it'd make it stick to the road like glue. I'm really leaning towards the Toyo tyres hey guys. Am reading lots of reviews from people who have had them, and all positive. Plus they seem well priced? Got two or my rims today, so fingers crossed the others come into the dealer soon enough and I can get some tyres on!
Old 14-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
terryk
When Only The Best WillDo

Hi Danny what did you end up paying for the factory rims?
98 AU1 XR8-347, 12.20@115
74 XB/C Ute-572, 9.06@147
69 Mustang Mach1-390, 13.5@104

Old 14-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enough! They look absolutely horn sitting in my lounge room, but they are so bloody over priced. I paid $1600 for them, a mate of mine used to work at the local Ford dealer and got them at cost IIRC. Hopefully they look great (have never seen them fitted in real life) so it makes it somewhat worth the dosh.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome... Hurry up and put them on so I can see some pictures... I want a set now!
Old 15-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I only have the factory 16" mp3 rims but the Toyo Proxes T1Rs I have are excellent. I sometimes get a little wheelspin in the wet when starting off (even gently) but they're nice and grippy in the corners.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not too long now

Awesome, I think I'll stick with the Toyo tyres. Getting prices tomorrow
Old 19-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I've been on the blower for a fair amount of time. Basic pricing I have gotten:

Toyo Proxes 4 - $800 for a set of four, fitted and balanced.
Bridgestone RE001 - $1000 for a set of four, fitted and balanced.
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - $980 for a set of four, fitted and balanced.

So there is quite a difference between the Toyo tyres and the other two brands that have been suggested to me by mates or you guys. All three though are supposed to be a great tyre so I'm told. One thing I did look into was the Toyo Teo Plus, but as it's a different thread rating RACQ said they would not insure my car, saying I must fit the exact specified tyre size and tread by the manufacturer? Weird, especially considering it's just the tread that's different, the size is fine. One thing I found is that JAX Quickfits are bloody fast to reply, were really nice and seemed to be quite cheap.

Suggestions?
Old 19-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't help myself, the rims look fantastic!

Old 19-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
msnealo
Zetec with 17's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Couldn't help myself, the rims look fantastic!
Yes they do. ;)

msnealo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So I've been on the blower for a fair amount of time. Basic pricing I have gotten:

Toyo Proxes 4 - $800 for a set of four, fitted and balanced.
Bridgestone RE001 - $1000 for a set of four, fitted and balanced.
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - $980 for a set of four, fitted and balanced.
Lots of the XR4 guys rave on about the RE001 tyres, quite a few have them on their cars and rate them very highly.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx are a very good tyre, they have won quite a few awards over the years, I had them on my Lancer VRX .. very soft compound though, don't expect them to last too long!

Did you get a price on the Toyo T1R tyres?
Old 19-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had the dunlop sp's on bigger cars ive had in the past, and they were fantastic!!! But like rob said, they are really soft and dont last long...

If you take off pretty hard even without wheelspin, I swear I could see rubber on the road.. haha
Old 19-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Lots of the XR4 guys rave on about the RE001 tyres, quite a few have them on their cars and rate them very highly.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx are a very good tyre, they have won quite a few awards over the years, I had them on my Lancer VRX .. very soft compound though, don't expect them to last too long!

Did you get a price on the Toyo T1R tyres?
Thanks for your input Rob. I'm liking the sound of those Bridgestones, and for only $200 more than the Toyo tyres, it's not a whole lot if it's a great tyre. I haven't got a price on the T1R yet however, it'll be two weeks before I put the rims on, got to get iPhone 4 first

The Dunlops are a no go then haha, I want them to last!
Old 22-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I’ve done a bit more research and these are my findings:

Yokohama S Drive - $1160
Toyo Proxes 4 - $748
Toyo Proxes T1R - $960
Bridgestone RE001 - $1000
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - $980
Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 - $656

Somehow I just thought picking a tyre would be a walk in the park, but the amount of different brands, tyre shops, opinions and reviews, wow. Picking the rims was easy as pie! I’ve come to the conclusion for the money (was able to get them cheaper) the Proxes 4 seem like the best bet. I do like driving my car and love corners but I’m not a performance driver, and the Proxes seem to be a more performance based all round, all season winner. There is some great reviews out there, some bad too, but for the money they seem like the best compromise, like it appears an all season tyre is, a compromise. I love the look of some of the other tyres, especially the Bridgestone RE001, but they seem more performance car orientated, I drive a humble Fiesta. I'm sure a Summer tyre would be a blast, I just wish I could drive them both and really compare, because some of the Summer tyres could be superior, and if I actually knew that I'd be happy to fork out the extra dollars.

What I’m more surprised to discover is the rubber on my car now, 195/45R16 Hankooks are calssified as a Summer tyre!

Quote:
The Ventus S1 evo is Hankook's Max Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and high performance sedans
I’m no expert, but for a Summer tyre they feel awful. The sidewalls feel mushy, they lose grip easily (especially around round a bouts), are not very flash in the wet. My old Maxxis tyres on the old Fiesta were superior. I guess the puddings in the tyres tread so to speak.
Old 23-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #25
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So I’ve done a bit more research and these are my findings:

Yokohama S Drive - $1160
Toyo Proxes 4 - $748
Toyo Proxes T1R - $960
Bridgestone RE001 - $1000
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - $980
Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 - $656
Iv'e got a pair of Maxxis MA-V1 tyres on the front of my Fez at the moment, had them for ages, they seem to last forever ... I'm still waiting for the damn things to wear out so I can replace them with something else!

They are an "OK budget tyre" but leave a lot to be desired in road grip or braking performance, but the worst part about them is the noise they give off .. particularly when they get a few kilometres on them .. it drives ya nuts! .. it's like a high pitched constant whirring noise, I can't stand it!
I won't be getting another pair that's for sure ... trouble is I think these things are going to outlast me!
Old 23-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
MotherNature
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure why your having so much trouble with your MAXXIS tyres. I love them and am waiting for the soft compund tyres on my Fiesta to wear out (happening quickly doing 180 K's a day) so I can get MAXXIS on.

I have used MAXXIS for all of our vehicles rangeing from my XR8 Sprint to the Cruisers to my other girley car (laser) and have found them long lasting, great to drive on & cost effective

The current tyres I have on the Fiesta are noisy, soft & give me no confidence under hard breaking, something I do almost daily with the roo's and emus that seem to have suicidal tendancies ;)
MotherNature is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Iv'e got a pair of Maxxis MA-V1 tyres on the front of my Fez at the moment, had them for ages, they seem to last forever ... I'm still waiting for the damn things to wear out so I can replace them with something else!
I've ordered the Proxes 4. Thank you very much for your help Rob, and the other members here who have offered their opinions, suggestions and advice. It's been an important part of my descison, and I appreciate all your responses. Will post pictures and review of my new babies when i can confrim a date with the local tyre shop.

Old 27-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #28
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyres and new 17" Fiesta alloys get put on tomorrow morning! Very excited to see what my baby is going to look like. This is a good week, new rims and tyres and iPhone 4!
Old 28-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #29
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new wheels and tyres are on...And they look bloody sensational! Took a few snaps on a trip this afternoon, not the best quality, but you get the idea. Definitely a fantastic looking rim, IMHo worth the outlay! As for the Toyo Proxies 4? They seem like a very good tyre. They have an aggressive tread pattern, they do have a little more noise than the 16" Hankooks did, and the ride is slightly harsher with the 17's on. But the tyres seem great, decent in the wet (was ****ing down all afternoon) and pretty grippy. Will wait to see what they are like a few hundred kilometres before saying they are fantastic, but they seem great so far. Will post up more when my internet wants to work (damn you Virgin Broadband!).

Again, thanks for all your input re the tyres
Old 28-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #30
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take two, try this link...