Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 27-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Default Aftermarket wheels 16" Wheels on Fiesta WS

Hey guys,

My girlfriends Fiesta has now got a Third Rim that is buckled, and unable to be repaired. We have already spent over 1000.00 on rims, and are sick of it.

Has anyone put on aftermarket rims on their Fiesta WS Zetec, and have you got a photo of what they look like on. The MRS is very fussy. I know there isn't a lot of choice, but I refuse to pay another 900.00 for another rim that will be buckled in 6 months. Terrible product those rims, so many people have problems with them buckling so I have read.

Anyway, if you guys could help that'd be great!

*her car is sea grey by the way, so not looking for black rims.

Cheers,

Sam

No mods yet.
Samtheband is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Fez WQ

Default Re: Aftermarket wheels 16" Wheels on Fiesta WS

Check ebay they have 2nd hand ones all the time... Rims of any sorts buckle these days , china makes most of them at budget prices .... Keep away from curbs
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had all four of the WS rims buckle, 2 so bad they were not drivable and the other 2 slightly and are usable with balancing, all four on very minor pot holes. There is a semi serious movement in the UK to take Ford to a class action over the sub par quality of those rims and I really hope that kicks off because those wheels were not good enough to be sold. Everyone is is the same situation and most the WS Zetecs that ever get outside of the city have had the original rims replaced.

We replaced them with the Team Dynamic Pro race 1.2's in 17x7 and have had no problems since. Being careful as you can be but still hit a few minor holes, so far these Team Dynamic wheels have taken it just fine. They hardened alloy and are made in England and will cost you about $1300 to get a set here. The exact same rim in a forged version is used on all the V8 supercars. (but the road version is still plenty strong with it's 12 spokes).

There are a couple of threads where we have talked about wheels

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=pro+race+1.2

There's a picture of our car at the end of this one, wasn't sure about the dark rim for a while but happy with it now that it's become just about the standard fashion with new cars. (You can get the same wheel in silver)

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=pro+race+1.2

Last edited by greenfoam; 28-10-2012 at 06:26 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez WQ
Check ebay they have 2nd hand ones all the time... Rims of any sorts buckle these days , china makes most of them at budget prices .... Keep away from curbs

Thanks for the 'keep away from curbs advice.....' super useful.

IF you actually read what I originally posted, I said we haven't hit any curbs. The rims are notoriously weak. I don't want a second hand rim and will be buckled later on anyway.

No mods yet.
Old 28-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you want cheap wheels? I got some CSA wheels on the Focus, had no trouble. You can get them from about $70 each on flea-bay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/csa_direc...&_trksid=p3686

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Put 16" CSA Sword rims on, cost $1100 from the local Jax including decent tyres (Pirellis).

Two weeks after I did it hit a massive pothole. Thought I would have buckled a rim.

No damage whatsoever. Rims still perfect. Much better than the Ford ones.

3 or 5 year warranty on them as well, so any structural damage during that time and they are replaced for free.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully no one is as insensitive to you if ever you are unlucky enough to have such a frustrating problem with your Fiesta.

To the OP, just go aftermarket - I had aftermarket (non Zetec/Fiesta range) 17s fitted by the dealer and they have been fine. There have been several threads on this issue - the conclusion: the standard Ford items are very poor, anything else is an improvement. Should be able to get 4 rims and (cheap) tyres for around a grand and you shouldn't have any more worries... Good luck.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

I have only found that since the WS they have buckled easy. My LX 15" wheels had one buckle and my optional 17" wheels has a slight buckle in one. However the 16" Zetec WQ wheels I use with track treads haven't had a problem and the Xr4 ones I had before didn't either. They must of made them softer for some reason when the WS began production.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Thanks for the helpful comments guys. I will pass all this on to my girlfriend. But appreciate the help.

No mods yet.
Old 29-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
Fez WQ

mmmm Not sure what you mean .... Insensitive

Get over yourself

These rims are possibly made in China and the fact that I mentioned curb hitting did'nt imply that I was accusing anyone of this... Other than past history with my cars and total life experience.

I had my rims on my WQ damaged by a pot hole, I paid to have them fixed. There was NOTHING insensitive about my comment. Really Mate get over yourself and stop creating trouble in every thread!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Hopefully no one is as insensitive to you if ever you are unlucky enough to have such a frustrating problem with your Fiesta.

To the OP, just go aftermarket - I had aftermarket (non Zetec/Fiesta range) 17s fitted by the dealer and they have been fine. There have been several threads on this issue - the conclusion: the standard Ford items are very poor, anything else is an improvement. Should be able to get 4 rims and (cheap) tyres for around a grand and you shouldn't have any more worries... Good luck.
Old 29-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Mate, your comment lets be honest was less than helpful. It's a design flaw nothing to do with curbs.

That's all.

Quote:
mmmm Not sure what you mean .... Insensitive

Get over yourself

These rims are possibly made in China and the fact that I mentioned curb hitting did'nt imply that I was accusing anyone of this... Other than past history with my cars and total life experience.

I had my rims on my WQ damaged by a pot hole, I paid to have them fixed. There was NOTHING insensitive about my comment. Really Mate get over yourself and stop creating trouble in every thread!!!!!!!!

No mods yet.
Old 29-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
trumpy73

Can someone please explain what a 'buckle' looks like? Is it confined to a particular batch? Is it something to do with people's driving? I've had the fiesta for 3 years now and hit a fair few potholes (Sydney). At some point one of the tyres burst but haven't had any issues with the rims.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The Zetec rims are inherently weak - effectively a decent pothole 'buckles' them - causes a flat spot/goes out of round/compromise of the rim. Can get minor ones repaired, major ones you need a new rim. Seems to isolated to the zetec alloys - even cheap aftermarket Chinese stuff is stronger. If you haven't had any issues in 3 years you'll be right.
Old 29-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
trumpy73

ah thanks, mine isn't a zetec (good). I probably didn't read the posts carefully.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
Fez WQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtheband
Thanks for the 'keep away from curbs advice.....' super useful.

IF you actually read what I originally posted, I said we haven't hit any curbs. The rims are notoriously weak. I don't want a second hand rim and will be buckled later on anyway.

Am Sorry mate.... The whole deal about my post was not a big deal

The curb thing..... I didnt notice you had mentioned that you had not hit curbs in you post!!

I have seen so many cars with rim damage caused by curbs. I destoryed my WQ rims with a huge pot hole also did in my wheel rear right bearing at the same time. I ended up with new (second hand rims) that I bought on ebay. Thats my deal not ment to cause offence.
Old 30-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #16
kesa32

Angry Re: Aftermarket wheels 16" Wheels on Fiesta WS

Hi, my daughters 2010 zetec wheels are buckled/couple of flat spots ......Ford responded the same as everyone else has copped around the world........." not our problem, you must be hitting big potholes , blah blah "

We're going to replace them with after makets and keep the old mags as l'm going to make some enquiries with small claims etc as she's very upset about this ( can't blame, she worked hard to buy this car )

Also l'll try Ford customer care.......but l prettywell know what the answer will be there
kesa32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Yeh it is frustrating. Doubt you will get far with ford, but good luck to you.
Amazing that such a great little car has such flawed rims.

No mods yet.
Old 30-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesa32
Hi, my daughters 2010 zetec wheels are buckled/couple of flat spots ......Ford responded the same as everyone else has copped around the world........." not our problem, you must be hitting big potholes , blah blah "

We're going to replace them with after makets and keep the old mags as l'm going to make some enquiries with small claims etc as she's very upset about this ( can't blame, she worked hard to buy this car )

Also l'll try Ford customer care.......but l prettywell know what the answer will be there
Feel free to read up on Ford customer care in my thread "WS Alternative Review". Also check out the "Focus Lemon Help" thread in the Focus section of this forum.

Wouldn't waste a second with Ford CRC. Instead take the wheel back to the dealership, say youre a member of this forum, you're aware it's a widespread problem - in fact a class action is being considered in Europe over this issue - and you might get lucky... but I wouldn't hold my breath.. Good luck.
Old 30-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
kesa32

Thanks guys, yeah l know we're going to struggle to get an outcome ( l'll go class action if we could )
l've printed off the Auto Express article to take in with me today when we pick it up ( in for a warranty issue, "k " frame bolt missing etc )
It's a shame, great little car otherwise
Old 31-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesa32
when we pick it up ( in for a warranty issue, "k " frame bolt missing etc )
wtf? Just "missing"? Forgotten at the assembly line?
Old 31-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
kesa32

Hi, yeah l don't know the full details yet , but apparently it was making "knocking" noises and when her boyfriend( who is a fitter/manager at a place here that makes v8 supercar gearboxes/parts and other stuff ) took it to his dad's workshop , they come to the conclusion that this paticular part/bolt had been overtightened and broke and had rusted......as l said l don't know the details as l'm on nightshift and have'nt talked personally to her boyfriend yet......anyway whatever Ford did to rectify it took a couple of days ( waiting on parts etc )

As for the wheels.......no go ...l showed the service mananger the printout of the "Autoreview" article, and he was suprised it was such a big issue ...he got onto head office , they said no it wasn't the wheels faulty blah blah

Being on nights l'm like a bear with a sore head, so next week when l get my head together l'm going to smallclaims and whoever else l can find that l can raise the issue with ( l hate big corporations standing on the " joe averages "

Cheers Ken
Old 31-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Yep, that sucks. It's telling when members of a forum are better informed than Ford management as to issues with their vehicles....

At least you shouldn't have any issues with aftermarket stuff...

Try consumer affairs but at the end of the day don't hold your breath... Try writing to Carsguides Graham Smith: maybe once he contacts Ford for a response they might change their tune...

I know about Ford stepping all over Joe Average, unfortunately. That's why as a Ford fan I won't be buying any Ford from a dealer ever again: a low kay used private sale is my only option..

Let's hope it's all fixed for you guys soon at the least expense possible... You shouldn't have to continually "fix" a newish car under warranty at your own expense..,
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buckled the crap out of one rim on a "hole" no more than a few cm deep at 70 km/h . All it took was a shaper than normal edge on the front of the hole. So badly I had to change to my less buckled spare right there and then... The real spare was allready on the car because of the other badly buckled wheel! Lol, total failure. No way in the world these rims pass any Australian rim standards. I'm all in for class action, .I've still got the rims just in case. Even though two are usable and definitely repaable I'm not selling them because sooner out later Ford should compensate for all the replaced wheels. Im not buying the ST without my substantial "sorry about the ws zetec wheels" good deal anyway.

Last edited by greenfoam; 02-11-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
kesa32

Back again, well l went around the tyre joints/looked on the net a bit , looks like it'll be around $1600 give or take to replace wheels and tyres with some 17"x7"s ......just got to find a style she likes , next week she'll have a look and make a decision
Would running a 45 profile be ok gearing wise or should we go to a 40 ? ( l'd rather she had a 45 to help with impact of potholes etc )

The tyre joints have all done replacements for these ....1 even had a stuffed wheel sitting in the office
Old 02-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

45 will fit, obviously your speed will be slightly out but it will be with 40 anyway. I buckled a WS LX wheel with 55's so I don't know what 45's will do.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The tyres won't make a huge difference to keep a rim from buckling... It'll improve the ride comfort... The 215 40 17s I have work fine.

Let us know how you go if you get a response from Ford CRC.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #27
Pursya

I would claim the damaged rims as "not fit for purpose".
If Ford refuses to come to the party, then Consumer Affairs would be an option under the "not fit for purpose" argument.
If you can prove this is a common problem with these particular rims, then Ford has an obligation to ensure the rims are safe and fit for Australian roads.
But you will need to prove this is a common problem for this model vehicle fitted with these particular rims.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm running 205 40 17 and the speedo is for all effect spot on (actual speed 99 when displaying 100), with the 16's the speedo read 100 when you were actually doing 94 os so, it was pretty much 10ks out at 110 on the standard 16's.

I was also worried about the lower profile tyre after having bent the original wheels but I've hit the same small potholes I did to ruin the originals with the new wheels and they are still all perfectly straight so I'm no longer so paranoid about it. I still avoid them of course but even at your best you are always going to hit one for every 1000 and it doesn't take a lot of road in country Victoria to go past 1000 holes. I always ask in the spare parts joint of any Ford dealer about how many people have bent Zetec rims and they all tell you "you aren't the only one" and things like "A girl from here bent 3 in the first month and she wasn't at all happy". Another guy told told me some guy in town bent 2 rims on the same hole (front and back). I've also seen on the Ballarat news a women getting 4 grand from Vicroads from hitting a hole.. guess what the car was??? a WS Zetec lol! she had bent all 4 rims in ONE hole, that must a have been some hole.. but still it was always going to be a Zetec. Quite funny to see it on TV actually, my whole family had a giggle and said "#@$@# sh i t rims"

Last edited by greenfoam; 03-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
kesa32

Hi , that's interesting about the Ballarat Vicoads case , we live just out of Ballarat ( 7 k's) , how long ago was that on tv ?

l got a "case/job" number off Ford here in Ballarat to qoute when l ring CC ........this no doubt will be a total waste of time

l'm considering legal advice and will see what needs to be done to fight Ford for compensation for these dodgy wheels that they fitted throughout the world on this particular model car......l'll ask about class actions etc while l'm at it

On a happier note , it's good to hear people with aftermarket replacements are'nt having issues
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #30
brydie76
Moff-fan

Don't want to jinx myself, but my Zetec alloys are going good so far, and whilst I am careful, I do occasionally hit a bump/pothole as I have no other choice. Don't know what people define as a big/small one though. An starting a slush fund to cover this when/if it happens (and new tyres- Conti's/Pirellis are exxy!!). so maybe the later runs got better alloys? (Mine's a December 2010 build)

Probably one of the few things on the car going well at the moment- inside of line sounds like a can of marbles with all the rattles of late, need to figure out how to fix them : /

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post