Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #31
Danny
GT4.

Hahahahah
Ker-AZY!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #32
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Warm up

It depends on each individual as to whether they want to warm their car up.
Oils claim to protect your engine as soon as you turn the key, but they actualy have to reach a certain temp before they operate at their best.
In my opinion and with the two cars ive owned ive always warmed them up completely before driving and i have always dumped the oil out every 3-5 thousand kms.
In regards to fuel. You could leave a fiesta turned on for 3 days idling and it most likely wouldnt even go through a full tank. What harm is 7 minutes going to do.
Anyway my is over
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #33
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Each to their own mitch...we all have to do what we feel is best for our cars.

Yes you are correct about the oils not working as well until they reach the optimal operating temp but we all agree oils today are better than what they were years ago.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #34
Tripe

FYI - please refer to the below topic regarding more info/possible solution to engine idle problem (misfire).

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=16161

It's easy to check, just make sure it's dark enough to see a blue spark and be sure to keep the air box connected (just swing it around and rest it on a rag on top of the coolant resevoir/fender - upside down!) because I had to let the car reach operating temperature before it started tracking.

The spark/tracking should correspond to the sound of the rough idle. I would take a photo, but it's just too dark lol.

Good Luck! _2:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 AM   #35
RedStar71

Tripe great work! I think you worked out what may be wrong with mine. I took it into Ford today for the 15000km service and they told me they would fix the misfire. I got the car back and as I was sitting in their driveway it was misfiring away... They seem to think that the new calibration software will fix everything...wrong.
I will contact them tomorrow and ask them to get to the bottom of the problem.

Jason
Mods: "Zetec S" badges, Zetec driving lights, stereo remote Ghia Gear stick surround and metal door handels. Factory EGA Sports Body Kit and Sports Leather Gear Knob. ST Rear Wing, Clear Indicators, Racing Pedals, Door Pulls, Door Sill Strips and Piano Black ICE Bezel.

2007 WQ Colorado Red Fiesta XR4
Mods: Smooth Rear Wiper
RedStar71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #36
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

since theres talk about premium fuels ... ive been pumping unleaded petrol into the fiesta .. should i start filling it with the high octane fuel?

is it alright to use normal unleaded? also .. if i have a 1/4 tank of unleaded can i just pump the high octane fuel? or do i need to wait for it till its near empty?
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #37
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
since theres talk about premium fuels ... ive been pumping unleaded petrol into the fiesta .. should i start filling it with the high octane fuel?

is it alright to use normal unleaded? also .. if i have a 1/4 tank of unleaded can i just pump the high octane fuel? or do i need to wait for it till its near empty?
No dramas unless your engine is specifically tuned for Premium (if your car is a Zetec it probably is tuned for premium). You can use it as much or as little as you like. No need to worry about how much fuel you have in the tank when you fill it up, it'll all mix in fine with no issues.

I personally always use Premium, I find I get better performance and more milage from a tank.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #38
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah thank you ^___^ ill refill it next week :p
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:30 AM   #39
Tripe

hi xurbanx!

It says in the manual for the Fiesta that it has been optimised for 95 RON ulp (aka premium ulp). It also states that 98 RON (aka ultra premium? ulp) may be used but offers no significant advantages???

It then goes on to say you may have a minor loss of performance, economy and increased engine noise if you use 91 RON (aka regular ulp).
Old 05-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #40
Chuckyh

Unhappy Idle Problem

I have only had my ST for 3 months and I have a major idle problem when the aircon is turned on. The idle does not settle it hunts between 1000 and 600 RPM .Has anybody else experienced this. O this is my second ST because the first one I had the dear ship said they could not fix it so they gave a new one with the exact same problem as the first one CRAZY. Can anybody give some ideas please please please……
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #41
b2tf
not here much anymore

ST as in Focus ST170 or Fiesta ST? Fiesta ST's aren't out in Oz......
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #42
GROOV3
Rollin

zetec and lx fiesta's have the same engine not tuned any different,

i run mine on prem all the time runs fine. had one trouble where on idle it started hunting around they re mapped the ecu and was fine.
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #43
joshf2
striped

ive heard about this hunting business at idle, and i personally dont mind it. adds a bit of aggression to the exhaust note at idle, and with the loud pipe on, it sounds pretty vulgur
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #44
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only sometimes notice a slight idle problem when the car is cold but never when at operational temperature. The car was worse at first but I havn't had this problem in over a year.

Come to think of it the car sorted itself out after I put in the race fuel (110RON) :
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #45
Chuckyh

Thanks for the imput does anybody have any ideas on what could case this hunting idle. The highest octane fuel I can use is 95 and this seems to make no real difference
Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #46
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta Idle

LMAO Pie!!!!!!! where on earth apart from japan did you get 110 ron fuel? :P

im guessing the car loved it. like going from Target to Gucci.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #47
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Talking

I had some small problems at first, rough idle esp. with the A/C on, but over time it seems to have sorted itself out. :

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #48
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
LMAO Pie!!!!!!! where on earth apart from japan did you get 110 ron fuel? :P

im guessing the car loved it. like going from Target to Gucci.
HAHHAHAH, top stuff. I want some. :
Old 07-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #49
FlaminFiesta

get ur software updated it happened to me recently as well (about 6 months)
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #50
fryad
Starter Motor

Default Rough Idle

My Jan 07 WQ Zetec was OK for the first month then stalled upon every start when cold (OK when warm) and needed two or three attempts (more rarely) to get it going. Even then it would stutter for the first few kms. I had it back to Ford last week for an ECU check and was told that the "computer was not set."

I questioned this and it seems that the ECU was simply not turned on (?). They said the main issue with this was that there was no fuel type specified which meant that it didn't know how to idle (and Aust spec is different to Euro spec in this regard). I'm not sure if I believe that excuse as the Fiesta can supposedly take 91RON upward so why would fuel type differ? I would say the ECU was simnply not working!

Anyway, the problem is now gone...almost. The car doesn't stall now, instead it starts hesitantly and three seconds later will rev itself a little then settle to a gentle idle. Not sure if that's right but it's a big improvement.

I will watch with interest.
fryad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #51
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i think they might of meant that the addaptive learning of the ECU wasnt "switched on" as in its settings didnt allow to adapt and learn from every start that you do. hencce why it was so terrible. That and it probably had flaws.

i know that Every ECU manufactured is installed with a Basic set of instructions(code) and then later on when there destination is determined they are installed with a Full system software designed for the specific location. ie AUS or UK. the final imprint may have been corrrupt code or just plain old fualty. the good thing is that ford fixed it to a degree which allows you to drive your car.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #52
fryad
Starter Motor

That makes sense photn and in our discussion something came up about AUS specs. Strange way to deliver a new car, but yeah, at least they picked it up and so far, still going well.
fryad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #53
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thats good to hear. hope it improves.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #54
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone with rough idling problem... have yous tried putting in full-synthetic oil (made by any major brands) and run 98RON PULP (from any major brand)? Those are what I got in my car ever since I got it and I've never had problems with rough idling.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post