Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

View Poll Results: Rear Headrests
Always up 5 10.87%
Always down (if no-ones in the back) 37 80.43%
What do you mean, they move? 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #31
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Ever heard of bikes? They come up quick and you ain't going to see them
Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
your a good enough driver you should know ware the cars on the road around you are
:sm_drool: : :

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
:sm_drool: : :
Well seeing as though a family friend's life was taken when he innocently overtook a moving car, I'm going to just say... if your mirrors aren't adjusted properly, you WON'T know every car around you, as motorbikes can sometimes come up pretty quick, and considering they are small, you've got a lesser chance of seeing them.

So yea, I hope you know WARE the cars are on the road...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #33
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Photn seriously.

Im with teki on this one. Even if your mirrors are correctly adjusted it is still very easy to miss things (It's called a blind spot for a reason). 99% of the time you can get away with only using your mirrors but it's that 1 time a bike or car catchs you off guard that can turn into the worst day of your life. I don't know about you but I don't wanna live knowing that me being too lazy to turn my head cost someone their life.

I always check me blind spots even coming home from work @ 1am with no one around. If your too lazy or CBF check yourself you shouldn't have a licence.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #34
BAWagonWheels

My car doesn't have rear headrest. Anyways don't think I'd want that cos' it'll obstruct rear vision.

BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #35
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The new Honda Legend automatically lowers the rear headrests when reversing
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #36
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWagonWheels
My car doesn't have rear headrest. Anyways don't think I'd want that cos' it'll obstruct rear vision.
Too bad about your rear passengers! If rear vision is an issue... headrests can be lowered. But if they aren't there - it means extreme injury caused to rear passengers in an accident.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 07-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #37
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
The new Honda Legend automatically lowers the rear headrests when reversing
:lookedat: AWESOME!

Old 07-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #38
photn
AFF Post NAZI

id like to just ask when i said that i always change lanes without looking and change lanes like im in a race car....i said that if your a good enough driver you know where the cars are around you ....meaning you are aware of traffic and other vehicles also you are aware of what other vehicles might do or the dangers they posses...you should also be aware of there speed.......i never said that people should change lanes without checking there blind spots....i am constantly scanning the road looking in all my mirrors and looking at the traffic around me....i note specific cars and what there doing and how fast there going...i even look through the peoples infront of me windscreen to see if the people on front of them are braking so i can break earlier and give me some room between the person infron incase the break like a lonatic ....when ever i see aa motorbike in particular i watch it to see how it is behaving...i do not take my eyes of the road and when i check my blind spot to merge if i feel i need to check it again then i will....believe me i am no reckless driver endagering other drivers on the road....so dont give me this guilt trip **** about whatever it is...i have never had an accident while driving and i dont plan to anytime soon....

if you dont trust my driving then dont get in my car...and dont complain..

Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #39
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
id like to just ask when i said that i always change lanes without looking and change lanes like im in a race car....i said that if your a good enough driver you know where the cars are around you ....meaning you are aware of traffic and other vehicles also you are aware of what other vehicles might do or the dangers they posses...you should also be aware of there speed.......i never said that people should change lanes without checking there blind spots....i am constantly scanning the road looking in all my mirrors and looking at the traffic around me....i note specific cars and what there doing and how fast there going...i even look through the peoples infront of me windscreen to see if the people on front of them are braking so i can break earlier and give me some room between the person infron incase the break like a lonatic ....when ever i see aa motorbike in particular i watch it to see how it is behaving...i do not take my eyes of the road and when i check my blind spot to merge if i feel i need to check it again then i will....believe me i am no reckless driver endagering other drivers on the road....so dont give me this guilt trip **** about whatever it is...i have never had an accident while driving and i dont plan to anytime soon....

if you dont trust my driving then dont get in my car...and dont complain..
Okkkkk then.... I had difficulties reading that. But just to remind you;

Quote:
\mind you when i get out to my local streets....1-redline,2-redline,3-redline 4-skip,5cruze....doing about 130then lol.... but mainly when im at the start of a pack of traffic lights and want to get ahead.... or yesterday as FlaminFiesta saw i was driving in the city... lol maximum gear i reached was 3rd lol..... constantly dropping and raising gears darting in and out of traffic.....twas cool. i mainly love the accelration and the sound that it makes when i maxxx it out and change gears.....especially the *POP* from the exhaust..
NEED I SAY MORE?!

Old 07-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #40
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Okkkkk then.... I had difficulties reading that. But just to remind you;

NEED I SAY MORE?!

whats that got to do with anything....all it says was that i was moving in and out of traffic..did i say i wasnt checking my mirrors did i say that i wasnt checking my blind spot...did i say that i was cutting ppl off and endagering other peoples lives NO! so dont put bloody words in my mouth you self richous *****.....if you didnt know which you should cause you claimed to a drivers edd course you can move in and out of traffic without being a pain in the aRRss to everyone else on the road....Sure i was darting in and out of traffic but i wasnt being reckless or endagering ppl.....as ive said at least 2 times now im sure....if you know ware people on the road are then you should at least be able to make decisions regarding the changing of lanes....now get off your high horse and get over the topic....if your so upset about my driving the report me to the Cops or the RTA or Wat the *** ever....just build a bridge and get the *** over it.......

if you want to talk about how people drive then start another god damn thread.....

Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #41
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
......that way when you change lanes you know if you have to look or not.....
There. Sometimes you don't look.

I'm basically saying that it doesn't matter if you have looked around. You should always look for cars before changing lanes. Bikes can come from ANYWHERE, such as side streets etc. They can also accelerate much quicker then any car, hence sometimes you don't even know they are there, and then WHAM.

I wasn't getting all fired up mate. Was just saying to becareful; have you mirrors adjusted and check ALL the time.

I'm sure others would agree, such as Pie. Why are you flaming at just me?

Calm down buddy

Old 07-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #42
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

As a cyclist as well as a motorist I can not stress how important it is to check blind spots etc. It doesnt take long on a bicycle before you realise how vulnerable you are and if someone does make a mistake, you are going to be the one coming off second best.
Also the attitude cyclists get from some motorists is appalling, yes cyclists can hold you up every now and then, and yes some cyclists have shocking bike control but seriously, it is not hard to give them a bit of room.
I suppose the best way to think of it is how would you feel if you were on the bike.
Thats just my two cents, im not having a go at anyone, I am just giving a perspective from a different road user. I dont know if anyone else cycles on here but if any one does im sure they will back me up.
timmyTTjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #43
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i used to ride my bike around my street timmy....and its not just any street i live semi rural and my street is a loop street which is about 8-9 k long...i used to ra lap every afternoon while i was at school untill one day one of the hoons was doing 180 down the flat....as i was just comming out of my drive way.....i decided from then on that i was not going to ride my bike while that guy lived in the street....i know what your getting at timmy....in cobbity there are ppl that ride there bikes all the time and i often see people honking there horns at them to get out of the way...i simple just move to the far right of my lane ans slowly go around them....

Teki i do admit that while driving in the city/any CBD you need to be more vigilant and be constantly looking over your sholder for phantom cars and bikes....all i am saying is that through werombi ...through cobbity....on narrellan road in the morning b4 peak there are lease amounts of traffic as there normally would be....and i am able to keep my eye on the traffic and know where the cars around me are. i can also see if there is a bike approaching from the rear..i am a very cautios person driving in the city...but on the streets i know, i am very confident.. if i am in doubt then i check i never change lanes while there is a bike near me and if there is enough room i still dont change i always wait for the bike to pass....

Old 07-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #44
melbzetec

I think the other factor in this discussion, is making sure YOU stay out of the blind spot when you are behind another car. That is, stay out of the other cars blind spot. I am constantly aware of whether the other car can see me. I think it is just plain dumb to travel in the lane next to another car, and sit just behind so you're in their blind spot. Either pull back, or go past, but just don't sit there!!!! But so many idiots do.

There. I got that off my chest. Resume what you were doing.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #45
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
I think the other factor in this discussion, is making sure YOU stay out of the blind spot when you are behind another car. That is, stay out of the other cars blind spot. I am constantly aware of whether the other car can see me. I think it is just plain dumb to travel in the lane next to another car, and sit just behind so you're in their blind spot. Either pull back, or go past, but just don't sit there!!!! But so many idiots do.

There. I got that off my chest. Resume what you were doing.
i am constantly aware of that too melb.....i am always afraid that when i change lanes and move up that the other person may not see me and try to merge....i am especially afraid of truckss i hate them and dont pass them untill there is enough room for me to get away with them...had a very bad experience with them when i was young.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #46
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

I am glad you can see where I am coming from photn regarding cycling.
I think with road safety it is all about realising that no matter how good you might think you are as a driver, you are still human. Add in other road users, and you have an unpredictable environment. So i suppose no matter how confident you are in your driving ability, you can not stop other road users from doing unpredictable things.
The best you can do is be vigilant and behave in a predictable manner... whilst other people are on the road around you.
timmyTTjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #47
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I know how I feel when I'm on a bike in traffic, super alert, thats how. But I also don't break the rules, get out of the way if I can, move it if I can't. Some of the riders I see in the morning are accidents waiting to happen, bimbling along in the middle of the road in rush hour.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #48
Al...

Headrests are down if nobody is in the back... I have 5% tint so I am not worried too much about fading interior and nobody can really see if I have them or not.
As far as mirrors are concerned, they should be adjusted to where you are comfortable and maximum vision. But I am also believe that no matter how well they are adjusted there will always be a blind spot, I never fail to turn my head and check.
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #49
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al...
As far as mirrors are concerned, they should be adjusted to where you are comfortable and maximum vision. But I am also believe that no matter how well they are adjusted there will always be a blind spot, I never fail to turn my head and check.
Absolutly.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #50
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Is he the same height as you? Is his vision as good as yours?
He's 187cm (6'1") and I'm 190cm (6'2"). We generally sit in the same position in most cars etc etc.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #51
Imolator
Quad Cam

Well when I finally get the car the headrests will be down unless someone is in the back. I really liked that the fiesta's headrests could be lowered to be totally unobtrusive, I test drove a Jazz and its headrests almost made the rearview mirror usless.

My 2 cents anyway.

Cheers

Michael
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #52
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

headrests down for shiz
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #53
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

When they are up they obstruct to much of the view.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #54
melbzetec

Quote:
..i have never had an accident while driving and i dont plan to anytime soon..if you dont trust my driving then dont get in my car...and dont complain..
Funny how things look different months later!!!!!!! hehehe. Sorry Sean....had to post this when I saw it

Old 06-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #55
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Funny how things look different months later!!!!!!! hehehe. Sorry Sean....had to post this when I saw it
Thanks steve!...good old times aye....well i didnt plan this one HAHA

Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #56
FRD6RL
Go Frosty!

I keep mine all the way down. I think it looks better and I'm a shortie so if they were up I wouldn't be able to see out the back window properly . When I picked my car up from the dealership they were up so the first thing I did was put them down!

:newangel:

:newangel: Mine:
06 WQ Fiesta Zetec
Sea Grey Duco
17" ST Wheels. Pirelli P-Zero-Nero Tyres. Leather ST Interior. Spoiler. Scuff Plates.

:evilking: His:
00 AU2 Falcon XR8
Liquid Silver Duco.
Bodykit. Bi-Plane Spoiler. Manual. 17" XR Wheels. Hankook K104 Tyres. Leather Interior.

P.S I LOVE Smilies :
FRD6RL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #57
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
i have never had an accident while driving and i dont plan to anytime soon....

: