Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2020, 01:13 AM   #91
Eurotrash

Default Re: 2020 Ford Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Very true, but the lower entry price gets them in the door, then any salesman worth his salt will up sell them to the higher spec cars.

The funniest thing was when I took mum to buy her new Focus, she was banging on about how she’d struggle to afford the Trend (LZ) and maybe she shouldn’t get it. She got in, took it for a drive but still wasn’t sure she could do it. Then she spotted the Sport sitting two cars down and fell in love with it then and there. All of a sudden she didn’t care that it cost a couple of grand more, she’d manage just fine. Salesman didn’t have to do a thing!
And that's my point exactly, people have it in their minds they can only afford one thing and then walking out the door with another. A cheaper entry level price point wouldn't have hurt and maybe brought more people into the showroom. Make it the base model the 'Trend' and the then use the 'Zetec' badge and then ST Line.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #92
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
And that's my point exactly, people have it in their minds they can only afford one thing and then walking out the door with another. A cheaper entry level price point wouldn't have hurt and maybe brought more people into the showroom. Make it the base model the 'Trend' and the then use the 'Zetec' badge and then ST Line.
A lower entry point gets buyers through the door in the first place, it's easier to up sell from
a base model than to entice someone with a discount on a higher trim level or optioned up
base model. I bet Hyundai band Kia do that with most sales, coax buyers to the next level.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #93
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all, can anyone help me, I've googled everywhere and cannot find anything, apparently the new Puma will have a 7 speed DCT auto, however, I cannot find any Ford with a DCT 7 speed except for the GT and Mustang. Is this a new transmission?
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #94
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Hi all, can anyone help me, I've googled everywhere and cannot find anything, apparently the new Puma will have a 7 speed DCT auto, however, I cannot find any Ford with a DCT 7 speed except for the GT and Mustang. Is this a new transmission?
Yes, announced back in June. I didn't use Google to find out, maybe it's not showing on Google?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #95
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Yes, announced back in June. I didn't use Google to find out, maybe it's not showing on Google?
Thank you, if you find an article about it it would be much appreciated!
Old 18-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #96
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a good look around the interwebs (about an hour) for info on this gearbox, and there is very little information. It appears the latest Fiesta will have the same version, which makes sense as the Fiesta and Puma are on the same platform. The only conclusion I can make is that it's available for the hybrid version of both cars, so maybe it was developed for that purpose to help further lower emissions/fuel consumption??

I'm assuming it's not the same 7-speed DCT developed for the Shelby Mustang GT500 (900NM capacity, supposedly) or some co-development with VW...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #97
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m fairly sure it will be the Magna PT 7HDT300 transmission.
Old 18-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #98
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I’m fairly sure it will be the Magna PT 7HDT300 transmission.
Crap, that's Getrag, let's hope that it's a wet clutch this time around.

This is insane after the Focus debacle....

Last edited by jpd80; 18-07-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 18-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #99
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Crap, that's Getrag, let's hope that it's a wet clutch this time around.
It is. I hope Ford isn’t stupid enough to use a dry clutch ever again.
Old 18-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is. I hope Ford isn’t stupid enough to use a dry clutch ever again.
And as soon as buyers hear it's not a proper auto, guess what...
The way focus owners were treated, they would be insane to trust anything with DCT.
Old 18-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #101
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And as soon as buyers hear it's not a proper auto, guess what...
The way focus owners were treated, they would be insane to trust anything with DCT.
True. I read up a bit more and the transmission has the electric motor integrated in the transmission and not engine side which means when the system is using the electric motor it is bypassing the clutches completely which in theory should then make them last longer and make the drive smoother.

Also: "Single oil circuit for cooling and lubrication", I'm hoping this will keep temps cool in our Australian summer and if some take this for some off-roading however mild.

Last edited by stefcio007; 18-07-2020 at 10:23 PM. Reason: grammar
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #102
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It won't be just Ford taking a hit if this one doesn't work: BMW are using it as wellhttps://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...y-History.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYaSIZeFQM

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #103
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
It won't be just Ford taking a hit if this one doesn't work: BMW are using it as wellhttps://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...y-History.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYaSIZeFQM
It's a comfort to know that it's going into BMW as well, over 170 different vehicles no less.
I hope people give it a go but understand if they're gun shy after PowerShift...
Ford could really do with a win in the subcompact SUV segment but it may not happen....
Old 20-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #104
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you to all who have inputted Unfortunately the consumer has forced DCT a lot of the time these days, its all about numbers, I myself am a fan of manuals, if I had to go auto I'd much rather a conventional auto for everyday driving, DCT have their place of course.

I do indeed hope it is a wet clutch set up, like others have said, surely Ford wouldn't be silly enough to go down the same road once again. I have a slight glimmer of hope for Puma in Australia, Ford really need to bump up their passenger numbers and Puma (not Escape) has the ability. Not something I'd drive, but something a lot of others would consider. Ford need a numbers car and this could be it.
2 users like this post: