Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2022, 12:35 AM   #1
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shannons Design to Driveway Series

Episode 2 - David Ford - Ford Australia Product Planner

The XC Landau design looked interesting - it's at the 17:55 mark:

Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Shannons Design to Driveway Series

I watched this yesterday. Some interesting insights.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I loved this one with Leo Pruneau. No bullsh.t here, he even unloaded on the golden boy Brock.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Episode 3 is now available - on Crysler and Mitsubishi Australia:

This is the link for what will be a 7 part series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KU85PUnWShY5Tx
4 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2022, 12:52 AM   #5
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Episode 2 - David Ford - Ford Australia Product Planner

Fun fact. The P6 LTD vertical grille moulding has "Landau" cast into it. In that, the P6 Landau was definitely well into the production planning phase.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2022, 03:33 AM   #6
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Looking at the rear of the Landau, a dual exhaust would have made the rear look better.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This weeks episode features Holden's Phil Zmood -

Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I loved this one with Leo Pruneau. No bullsh.t here, he even unloaded on the golden boy Brock.
Interesting to hear Leo say the VK Commodore was the first time the local designers just didn't get handed the Opel design and were able to have more input.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Episode 5 - Leyland design

2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Episode 5 - Leyland design

When is a Rover not a Rover.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #11
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Episode 6 - Graham Wadsworth - Ford Australia Designer

Mainly AU to BA design, plus they designed a doomed Aussie Mustang.

4 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Episode 6 - Graham Wadsworth - Ford Australia Designer

Mainly AU to BA design, plus they designed a doomed Aussie Mustang.

This is my favorite episode yet!

Plenty of interesting info with this one, lots of explanation regarding the AU and BA Falcon's, especially comments regarding the design of the first gen Mercedes CLS.

Not surprisingly, more evidence supporting the internal competition and "not invented here" syndrome that hampered Ford Australia's opportunities.
Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is my favorite episode yet!

Plenty of interesting info with this one, lots of explanation regarding the AU and BA Falcon's, especially comments regarding the design of the first gen Mercedes CLS.

Not surprisingly, more evidence supporting the internal competition and "not invented here" syndrome that hampered Ford Australia's opportunities.
I agree.. more divulged here than years of gossip and inuendo...very powerful silo mentality.

Interesting to hear the BA work was well underway before AU first gen was released after the positive feedback initially received at early design stage for AU completely changed by the time it was nearing release....and the knowledge if they got BA wrong there was no second chance.

Made me also think if BA was released before AU and AU followed on say 8 years later what might have been....?
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I agree.. more divulged here than years of gossip and inuendo...very powerful silo mentality.

Interesting to hear the BA work was well underway before AU first gen was released after the positive feedback initially received at early design stage for AU completely changed by the time it was nearing release....and the knowledge if they got BA wrong there was no second chance.

Made me also think if BA was released before AU and AU followed on say 8 years later what might have been....?
I really liked the tapered side profile of the AU sedan, the strong belt line and the arching rear light/boot lid aesthetics. I even liked the waterfall grill, teamed with the central ridge line on the low-series/XR bonnets. The roof line that domes front to back AND left to right is what ruined the design in my opinion.

For me, I would like to see an AU Falcon design drawing that removes the domed roof and ovoid front and back windscreens. In other words, a BA roof and glass on the AU body..........or the Mecedes CLS.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really liked the tapered side profile of the AU sedan, the strong belt line and the arching rear light/boot lid aesthetics. I even liked the waterfall grill, teamed with the central ridge line on the low-series/XR bonnets. The roof line that domes front to back AND left to right is what ruined the design in my opinion.

For me, I would like to see an AU Falcon design drawing that removes the domed roof and ovoid front and back windscreens. In other words, a BA roof and glass on the AU body..........or the Mecedes CLS.
I'm going to rewatch the show and take more note of the designs and mockups shown because ironically the boot deck height and profile you may be referring to was lowered on Nasser's say so straight after he got back to the US having spent the weekend in the local Ford design studio.
And maybe I'm too Ford biased but the pictures and mock-up of the Aussie Mustang looked better than the Monaro as I've always felt the Monaro was too bulbous over the rear arch and quarter panel.
Old 20-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This design caught my eye, check out the variation on the headlamps, a single dip down a nod to the BA XR -

Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2022, 07:19 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Check out this one with XR style headlights.

You can see a Ford Europe influence with these ones -

These have shades of Ford US / Lincoln -

Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Some AU proposels -

Alternative XR headlight treatment -

This AU design is almost identical to the 2005 CLS, note the straighter rear glass -

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I'm going to rewatch the show and take more note of the designs and mockups shown because ironically the boot deck height and profile you may be referring to was lowered on Nasser's say so straight after he got back to the US having spent the weekend in the local Ford design studio.
And maybe I'm too Ford biased but the pictures and mock-up of the Aussie Mustang looked better than the Monaro as I've always felt the Monaro was too bulbous over the rear arch and quarter panel.
Sounded like Jac the knife had a lot to answer for. I really don't get what happened with him, he was great when he was Ford Australia President, bringing back the V8 and setting things up for the future. Then he ended up at the top at Ford HQ in Dearborn, and completely bottled it, and well as making adjustments to the AU that made it much worse than it could have been.

I wonder what it would have looked like without his negative styling influences. Seems like the more he got envolved, the worse the styling clinic reactions were.

Definitely some S-Max and Mondeo influences in the front ends of those early E265 clays.
Old 21-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Sounded like Jac the knife had a lot to answer for. I really don't get what happened with him, he was great when he was Ford Australia President, bringing back the V8 and setting things up for the future. Then he ended up at the top at Ford HQ in Dearborn, and completely bottled it, and well as making adjustments to the AU that made it much worse than it could have been.

I wonder what it would have looked like without his negative styling influences. Seems like the more he got envolved, the worse the styling clinic reactions were.

Definitely some S-Max and Mondeo influences in the front ends of those early E265 clays.
I think he also became the fall guy for the "Exploder saga" and wasn't it around his time Ford bought Volvo, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover etc. or merged them into the Premier group with Lincoln etc.......maybe it was a case of "stick to your Knitting" as while the company made probably the biggest profits it's ever achieved in many areas including car manufacturing things changed later.
Old 21-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #21
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

I have always thought that it would have made logical sense for the BA Falcon to have followed the EF/EL Falcon. There are enough stylistic themes for that to have been a logical progression.

Having watched that video, it sort of makes sense owing to the fact they started designing the BA Falcon while the EL was still on sale.
Mustang GT

Old 21-11-2022, 05:31 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I think he also became the fall guy for the "Exploder saga" and wasn't it around his time Ford bought Volvo, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover etc. or merged them into the Premier group with Lincoln etc.......maybe it was a case of "stick to your Knitting" as while the company made probably the biggest profits it's ever achieved in many areas including car manufacturing things changed later.
I think Jac Nasser ended up being the sacrificial lamb. Going from past examples, I'm guessing there was also a bit of not-invented-here syndrome going on there too, as in a dumb "Aussie" running an American car company.
Mustang GT

Old 22-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
I have always thought that it would have made logical sense for the BA Falcon to have followed the EF/EL Falcon. There are enough stylistic themes for that to have been a logical progression.

Having watched that video, it sort of makes sense owing to the fact they started designing the BA Falcon while the EL was still on sale.
The styling themes for Falcon are there in BA for sure, a natural progression. Headlights etc have that similar sort of shape.

That was probably the AU's problem, it didn't carry any themes through and was way too different.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #24
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Final episode 7 - Holden Chief Designer Richard Ferlazzo

2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #25
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tried to get as many of the Australian designed Mustang as possible but some are covered by the Shannons logo. A few aren't too bad considering they are from the mid 90s. Second last is my fav. Would have loved to have seen what the model looked like.

remove repeated lines
Old 28-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Can see a lot of Mercedes SL and CL in a few of those.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:05 PM   #27
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Episode 3 is now available - on Crysler and Mitsubishi Australia:

This Chrysler vid focuses on Dennis Nicolle.
In the 70's, when I was just a lad, Dennis rented a flat from my Parents.

Over about 8yrs, I had struck up a friendship with Dennis and he would show me design drawings and other stuff he was working on at Chrysler.

As I've always been such a car nut, I was fascinated by the stories he would tell me of how a car would come to be, from sketch to production, and everything in between.

Dennis took the time to teach me how to draw cars and share some of his techniques etc.
I used those to make some cash by drawing the cars that kids wanted to get, when they left school

Even though I'm a Ford dude through & through, I love all sorts of cars in general... and I was really happy to see that Dennis was getting some deserved recognition in this Shannons series !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: