Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: New and 2nd hand car prices in Australia... Why so expensive?

things are over priced in Australia just look at apple products or most electronics we get gouged all the time simply because they can you can claim tax, freight, the new popes white robes, gouging is gouging and its about time people stood up to it. The only people who wouldnt complain is people getting rich of it.
Old 14-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Lets just arrive here on a boat, govco will look after us.

Corrected for truth.
Old 14-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Try living in NZ then see how expensive you think Aus really is....
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
Corrected for truth.
Sometimes I joke with my mates and say we should go over there and jump on a boat. We'll be better educated, we'll be housed, clothed and fed, all for nothing. Then they'll find us jobs and still look after us.
Old 14-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #35
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
Corrected for truth.
Crock of **** mate, try turning that knob away from 2GB once in a while.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
strobe

No "grew ere" aussie was ever a bludger right?
Old 14-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #37
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Because we get paid too much money.
I found the median wage in the US was about $45,000 while Australia was about $65,000.

Still many of our cars are overpriced, even for our income.
I dont know about you guys but I dont get even close to $65,000 a year so there must be a heap of people getting paid more than that
Old 14-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #38
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I predict thread lock after page 3... Any other takers?
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
I dont know about you guys but I dont get even close to $65,000 a year so there must be a heap of people getting paid more than that
When calculating your wage make sure you use the pre tax figure not what you take home, then add 9% for super, then add any denefits you get like maybe a phone or use of a car or equipment etc.

This is how they calculate the number not just by multiplying you pay packet by 52.
Old 14-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #40
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that tip, but still about 20 grand short
Old 14-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its our own fault - its what we are willing to pay.

If the Yanks got charged our prices they would simply not buy the product.

its like house prices - paying $500,000 for an average house is simply retarded, but 99% of australian home owners do it.
Old 14-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true, IMO I think new cars are getting cheaper but at the end of the da if you dont want to spend that much you dont have to. I buy second hand cars because unless you keep a new car for a long time you loose too much money on them.

Same goes for houses, I cant afford a house in Sydney so I moved out west where the prices are more realistic.
Old 14-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
its our own fault - its what we are willing to pay.

If the Yanks got charged our prices they would simply not buy the product.

its like house prices - paying $500,000 for an average house is simply retarded, but 99% of australian home owners do it.
Really?

I just did a quick search for 3+ bedroom houses in NSW under $200,000 and only found 4,389 available.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pro...erredState=nsw
Old 14-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #44
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
302XC I would expect $60 to be a reasonable price difference not $90........
You mentioned you pay $40 and retail is $90, thats fairly normal, actually a tad under what many retailers could charge
$90 mark up on a $40 product,probably is a stretch ,
But,add it up
$40 manufacture,plus GST $4 =$44
Then freight say $10 ,plus GST = $11
Retailer mark up of 100 % = $110 ,plus another GST slice =$121

Thats what many larger retailers work with and the margins they have
You wonder why manufacturers,wholesalers are trying to sell direct to cut the massive mark ups, that many larger stores cant get anymore
The greedy are screaming loud.ask gerry harvey

I bought new brake pads for the patrol
1 on line wholesaler $60 an end, fancy retail store $130 an end
Both places in brissie and both places within 20 Ks from each other
Same brand,same part number ,crazy hey
Old 14-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #45
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Really?

I just did a quick search for 3+ bedroom houses in NSW under $200,000 and only found 4,389 available.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pro...erredState=nsw
So you have accounted for 4389 out of the 10 million residences in Australia. That's .04%, identify another 96,000 and your attempt at absurdity may have a point.
Old 14-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
So you have accounted for 4389 out of the 10 million residences in Australia. That's .04%, identify another 96,000 and your attempt at absurdity may have a point.
My original search was for 3 bedroom detached houses on land in NSW only. As you appear to be such an intelligent and polite person I will look for all types of residences under $200,000 that are actually advertised for sale on one of many real estate sites for you.

NSW: 16,152
QLD: 22,494
VIC: 17,535
SA: 7919
WA: 5275
TAS: 5541

Not 100,000 but 75,0000 is pretty close and it does not include anything above $200k and only those advertised on realestate.com.au.

If you bump it to 300,000 just in NSW the number jumps to 30,562.

Now you show us all where the 10,000,000 that are actually advertised for sale are situated.......
Old 15-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #47
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the number of dwellings in Australia will only reach 10million by 2026
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 15-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
You mentioned you pay $40 and retail is $90, thats fairly normal, actually a tad under what many retailers could charge
$90 mark up on a $40 product,probably is a stretch ,
But,add it up
$40 manufacture,plus GST $4 =$44
Then freight say $10 ,plus GST = $11
Retailer mark up of 100 % = $110 ,plus another GST slice =$121

Thats what many larger retailers work with and the margins they have
You wonder why manufacturers,wholesalers are trying to sell direct to cut the massive mark ups, that many larger stores cant get anymore
The greedy are screaming loud.ask gerry harvey

I bought new brake pads for the patrol
1 on line wholesaler $60 an end, fancy retail store $130 an end
Both places in brissie and both places within 20 Ks from each other
Same brand,same part number ,crazy hey
probably all true, but the fancy retail store probably caters for a hell of a lot more stock on the floor with many different items and a lot more warehouse footage to pay fixed costs on,
where the on line retailer has selected items shipped in bulk order that he gets very very cheap, the fancy retailer probably has more people that are actually supplying a service and at a hell of a lot more cost to him.
the fancy retailer supply`s you with goods there and then on the spot, the fancy retailer supplies you with an address and shop front to take items back if they are faulty immediately,
while i will agree there probably is a certain amount of profiteering, but you can`t just blame the retailer, many people get a slice of the pie(especially govco, many times over). at the end of the day one is suppling a service , the other goods and services.
Old 15-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #49
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
probably all true, but the fancy retail store probably caters for a hell of a lot more stock on the floor with many different items and a lot more warehouse footage to pay fixed costs on,
where the on line retailer has selected items shipped in bulk order that he gets very very cheap, the fancy retailer probably has more people that are actually supplying a service and at a hell of a lot more cost to him.
the fancy retailer supply`s you with goods there and then on the spot, the fancy retailer supplies you with an address and shop front to take items back if they are faulty immediately,
while i will agree there probably is a certain amount of profiteering, but you can`t just blame the retailer, many people get a slice of the pie(especially govco, many times over). at the end of the day one is suppling a service , the other goods and services.
Absolutely,
Many retail stores rent is thousands if not tens of thousands a month,plus their insurance,and body corperate fees, if any, plus huge power bills,fone bills, theres more to a store than the wages, hell some councils now charge an air tax,or space tax for billboard signs ........
Many parade they save money buying direct from O/S,but in the next breath complain their kids or family members got laid off,because their place of business shut due to not selling enuf
Ive resorted to online, had to, many of my retail customers have shut due this very reason, people will shop around for the best price and many tho complain of lack of service,only care for the bottom line,the $$$
Old 15-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #50
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Cars are expensive in Australia, I dont know if I can afford to get my third one or not.....
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
My original search was for 3 bedroom detached houses on land in NSW only. As you appear to be such an intelligent and polite person I will look for all types of residences under $200,000 that are actually advertised for sale on one of many real estate sites for you.

NSW: 16,152
QLD: 22,494
VIC: 17,535
SA: 7919
WA: 5275
TAS: 5541

Not 100,000 but 75,0000 is pretty close and it does not include anything above $200k and only those advertised on realestate.com.au.

If you bump it to 300,000 just in NSW the number jumps to 30,562.

Now you show us all where the 10,000,000 that are actually advertised for sale are situated.......
Steves original post was "its like house prices - paying $500,000 for an average house is simply retarded". It says average.

So, to work out the average, you dont grab a few hundred thousand low priced properties, you "AVERAGE" them with the high priced properties. Thus you look at articles like -
http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/P.../Price-History

And you think if the 8 capital cities have an average price of $532,000 and they contain a vast majority of the housing stock in Australia (and it could be adjusted a little due to higher average prices in mining towns, but lower prices in small country towns), then you would safely assume that $500,000 is a fair call. And you wouldnt even contemplate highlighting that someone can still buy a house for $200,000 because its not an "AVERAGE"
Old 15-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #52
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Steves original post was "its like house prices - paying $500,000 for an average house is simply retarded". It says average.

So, to work out the average, you dont grab a few hundred thousand low priced properties, you "AVERAGE" them with the high priced properties. Thus you look at articles like -
http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/P.../Price-History

And you think if the 8 capital cities have an average price of $532,000 and they contain a vast majority of the housing stock in Australia (and it could be adjusted a little due to higher average prices in mining towns, but lower prices in small country towns), then you would safely assume that $500,000 is a fair call. And you wouldnt even contemplate highlighting that someone can still buy a house for $200,000 because its not an "AVERAGE"
Wow - and here I was thinking we were talking about 2nd hand cars....... ;)
Old 15-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #53
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Absolutely,
Many retail stores rent is thousands if not tens of thousands a month,plus their insurance,and body corperate fees, if any, plus huge power bills,fone bills, theres more to a store than the wages, hell some councils now charge an air tax,or space tax for billboard signs ........
Many parade they save money buying direct from O/S,but in the next breath complain their kids or family members got laid off,because their place of business shut due to not selling enuf
Ive resorted to online, had to, many of my retail customers have shut due this very reason, people will shop around for the best price and many tho complain of lack of service,only care for the bottom line,the $$$
again very true and a sad state of affairs, and it`s happening more and more, in my own eye`s, i look at how Australia is changing and it makes me wonder what the country will be like in 20/30 years time .
Old 15-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #54
stevethepom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
they might pay well for stuff like motoring costs , but i`ll bet they probably don`t pay 8 buks for a hamburger, or 500+ dollars each time the electricity bill comes in for an average 3 bedroom home, or 70 buks or upwards for a decent pair of shoes.
look at the price of housing here,
just did a google, The average cost of a UK home is now £162,245.

the average for an Australian property at july 2012 had come down to $550,000.
it`s expensive to live here, it`s expensive to do business.
You are right mate nowhere near $500 every 3 month for the leccy bill my last one in UK was around the equivelant of $90 for 3 months and that was a winter bill and a summer one could quite easily knock $20 off that figure !
Old 15-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotGT View Post
Wow - and here I was thinking we were talking about 2nd hand cars....... ;)
Well yes it was but it seems to have wandered off away from the topic as so many of these do.
Closed Thread