Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 
Default Changing IRS outer joints on car

The rear outer spherical joints (both upper and lower) on my XR8 have seen better days and I'd like to change them without removing the arms if possible. Has anyone tried using a tool like the one below? I have read of people using these sucessfully on front lower ball joints. Do the rear joints come easily enough or is it a case of put it in a big hydraulic press and pray?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pc-Bal...4AAOSwf~Jaj9ai

I am not sure if this tool would be long enough or strong enough, but it would be useful to have anyway.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Changing IRS outer joints on car

Sorry only done lower ball joint
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve done uppers on the car just moved the hub out the way
I used a ports power g clamp though
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
The rear outer spherical joints (both upper and lower) on my XR8 have seen better days and I'd like to change them without removing the arms if possible. Has anyone tried using a tool like the one below? I have read of people using these sucessfully on front lower ball joints. Do the rear joints come easily enough or is it a case of put it in a big hydraulic press and pray?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pc-Bal...4AAOSwf~Jaj9ai

I am not sure if this tool would be long enough or strong enough, but it would be useful to have anyway.
You can make up your own tool, I have done it before.

Soak the bushes with penetrant at least 30 mins before job.
Use a high tensile bolt and nut lubed with oil or grease and some sockets and washers as spacers to pull and push the bushes, works well- especially with a rattle gun.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Thanks, the bolt and sockets is a good idea. Probably stronger than the cheapo clamp tool.

Nolothane's website tells me the lowers are 14.2mm ID, 47mm OD and uppers 12.2mm ID, 40.2mm OD. So I'm thinking a nice long grade 12.9 M12 bolt should do for both. Will need to buy a massive socket for a receiver. Can you remember which size sockets you used to pull the new ones in? Don't want to pull on the inner part.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rose-Swi...YAAOSwU9xUTIA~

Have used it on both my Au's to remove the bushes in the car. Just undid the top bush and moved the hub forward, then did the bottom one by lifting the hub up.

I think it took me about 3hrs all up, that was replacing the upper and lower units, sway bar links and toe links.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
undertow

That looks like a nice item. I ended up ordering the cheapo tool after looking into the sizes. The adaptors will suit and the tool should be big enough. Even if it snaps in half it is worth $60 for the receivers/adaptors which I can then use with a high tensile bolt etc. A big 50mm stocket would cost as much as the tool and I don't have any other use for it.

Will post back with results - might be a few weeks till I get to the job though.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
That looks like a nice item. I ended up ordering the cheapo tool after looking into the sizes. The adaptors will suit and the tool should be big enough. Even if it snaps in half it is worth $60 for the receivers/adaptors which I can then use with a high tensile bolt etc. A big 50mm stocket would cost as much as the tool and I don't have any other use for it.

Will post back with results - might be a few weeks till I get to the job though.
Hi Undertow, any chance of a photo of the tool etc you'll be using when posting back the results?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

I don't think that a press is the right tool for the job anyway, as space is too tight. I used a cheap eBay clamp similar to the one in your first picture. I had the arms off anyway to do the inner bushes, but if anything that might have made it more difficult, not less.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post