Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 14-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
ZeLittleRedCar
Starter Motor

Smile KN Laser swirl plate actuator missing. ?:-|

Hi All.

Bought a very tidy KN a few months ago. 1600 DOHC ZM.
Seemed to perform well on the highway; a bit slow on long uphills ... yeah - OK - not a turbo or V8.

BUT ... one day (after freezing outside in a couple of zero degree nights) ... it began to absolutely fly up the same hills ... like it suddenly found another 20kW. OMG. }}}:-O

A few weeks later it was back to crawling over the top of same hills at 80. Grrrr.

Hmmm ... dig dig dig ... engine has an MTIS system = for inducing intake air swirl below 3000 rpm via a movable butterfly plate in each intake port, ganged together on a common spindle.

These plates are opened/closed via a vac operated pushrod actuator connected to this spindle..

Still with me?

OK - actuator must be a bit stuck (tech term). WD40 should fix.
I thought ...

Under engine with a flood light ... ... ... ... ?

What actuator? Nothing there resembling this pushrod actuator. ???

And no evidence of a full width butterfly spindle across all ports ... ?:-|

SOOO --- what is in there that can change to improve engine performance ... GRRRRRR.

Has there been some sort of a mid-production change?

Over to the KN KQ Grand Wizards ... :-D

Last edited by ZeLittleRedCar; 14-09-2019 at 09:35 PM.
ZeLittleRedCar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: KN Laser swirl plate actuator missing. ?:-|

Only KN KQ Laser with the 1.8L engine had the inlet manifold with the actuator. The 1.6 did not. See the difference between the two in the images below. The actuator is number 20 in the 1.8 engine image.

KN Laser Inlet Manifold 1.6.pdf

KN Laser Inlet Manifold 1.8.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
ZeLittleRedCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Only KN KQ Laser with the 1.8L engine had the inlet manifold with the actuator. The 1.6 did not. See the difference between the two in the images below. The actuator is number 20 in the 1.8 engine image.

Attachment 102033

Attachment 102034
Thanks GTLEGEND.

As I've dug deeper I've opened a real can of worms for myself.

The diagram I posted comes from the workshop manual for the 1600 ZM engine. Ahhh - but which ZM is it? Many variants, as it happens.
Depends on the car maker, the country, used in later cars - eg the Focus.

So - my car never had tumbler butterflies, but I can see in the head casting where provision had been made for the butterfly spindle.

Back to my original performance/lack-of issue:

What is in the intake path that can suddenly change and produce the extra performance?

As mentioned earlier, the car spent a couple of nights in zero deg. temps.
Next time I drove it .... whooosh ... over tall buildings in a single bound ...

Obviously something had changed ie contracted c/- the cold, allowing 'everything' to work properly again.

A few weeks later - back to crawling up those same hills.

Arrrgggh.

Suspecting vacuum related.

Cheers.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
chris.j

I've sold EFI parts for many years and the most common part for these is the airflow meter. They don't throw codes generally, but cause lack of power issues.
The genuine unit has ZL01 embossed on it.
You can purchase a genuine unit from Burson auto parts, AFM-003 is the part number.
chris.j is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeLittleRedCar View Post

Back to my original performance/lack-of issue:

What is in the intake path that can suddenly change and produce the extra performance?

As mentioned earlier, the car spent a couple of nights in zero deg. temps.
Next time I drove it .... whooosh ... over tall buildings in a single bound ...

Obviously something had changed ie contracted c/- the cold, allowing 'everything' to work properly again.

A few weeks later - back to crawling up those same hills.

Arrrgggh.

Suspecting vacuum related.

Cheers.
Hi. What changed? The temperature of the air. Cold air is more dense so that means it sucks in more oxygen and that means a bigger burn and that means moooore power. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #6
ZeLittleRedCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. What changed? The temperature of the air. Cold air is more dense so that means it sucks in more oxygen and that means a bigger burn and that means moooore power. Cheers MD
In theory - yes. Practically - no. Was good in warmish weather fo the next few weeks. Then it died. :-(
Old 18-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
ZeLittleRedCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.j View Post
I've sold EFI parts for many years and the most common part for these is the airflow meter. They don't throw codes generally, but cause lack of power issues.
The genuine unit has ZL01 embossed on it.
You can purchase a genuine unit from Burson auto parts, AFM-003 is the part number.
Thanks Chris. Will dig further re vacuum leaks first. Cheers.