Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #8431
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It would be makings, not ciggies. You clearly haven’t dated enough Shazzas.

One of the weaknesses in NSW’s current predicament is that it’s location driven, there is no adjunct of association with people from Greater Sydney. I’ll be meeting the gay nomads in a country town around Christmas, this saves them from quarantine on return to the ACT - which would be necessary if they came to Sydney.
Isn't the NSW govco health telling people NOT to leave $ydney. ?

This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #8432
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Considering I am staying in Chiltern and was in Wodonga when you posted what you said, saw the long queues first hand and later on the local border news, I think you are FOS.
I couldn't care less what you think. I sit at my desk all day listening to ABC Radio and I typed it as I heard it.

But I'm sure there will be a Facebook site out there somewhere which will fit your narrative.
Old 22-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #8433
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I couldn't care less what you think. I sit at my desk all day listening to ABC Radio and I typed it as I heard it.

But I'm sure there will be a Facebook site out there somewhere which will fit your narrative.
Not could I about you, I was there. Facebook, whats that.

2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #8434
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Facebook, whats that.
A place where you'll find others that will affirm your opinions.

Meanwhile... but don't worry, you were there...

Hume Freeway a '24-hour free-for-all' after police checkpoint delays

Premier Daniel Andrews has expressed frustration at the Australian Defence Force’s refusal to help man the NSW border as it was revealed it took police until Monday afternoon to set up a checkpoint on the busy Hume Freeway.

Albury mayor Kevin Mack said there were long queues at the newly set-up checkpoint on the Hume Freeway late on Monday afternoon.

But he said many people had travelled from NSW into Victoria before it went up.

"Ostensibly it's been a free-for-all for probably 24 hours," Cr Mack said.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...21-p56p7h.html

Last edited by FairmontGS; 22-12-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 22-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #8435
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
I honestly wouldn’t know. The overhead signs on major roads are so typically plastered in hectoring nonsense that most people ignore them. (They could warn of four metre floodwaters across the road ahead, and people would keep driving.) I don’t do TV, or listen to the radio.
Old 22-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #8436
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
I read the article you posted, and he didn’t skip quarantine. He paid extra to have the resources to quarantine elsewhere. That costs money to enforce. He paid extra to have law enforcement oversee his entourage during the quarantine period.

It’s not like Shazza coming back from Bali, “I promise I’ll stay at home for two weeks!” Next minute, “Just ducking down to Coles for some ciggies.”
Fair is fair, if you are going to quote someone, do it right. He said "skip hotel quarantine". There is a key word in there.

Anyhow here is a summary on hotel exemptions.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...akes-the-rules

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 22-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #8437
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry.
The government are hard at work trying to figure out how this happened.
It will be all sorted.

3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #8438
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Don't worry.
The government are hard at work trying to figure out how this happened.
It will be all sorted.

You know the saying - when you point your finger at someone, there are usually three pointing back.
Old 22-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #8439
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

More countries close borders to the UK as new coronavirus strain breeds panic

British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the strain was "out of control" around London and south eastern England, though experts have said it was not clear whether it is more lethal.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...covid/13005500
Old 22-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #8440
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
That's a very early crow, but I hope they are right. I think Vic had similar numbers, up a couple of days, down the next, then up, then down, then BOOM.

The saving grace might be demographics. I heard the people that seeded the Vic outbreak lived in houses with an average size of 6. The Vic average house size overall is 2.3. The Northern Beaches is 2, and also Northern Beaches residents are less likely to be in casual jobs working in more than one venue.
The biggest difference is that they have a list of over 70 specific places, Vic got about as specific as the meatworks and the McDonalds, but nothing about were those people went. People in NSW have a great idea of if they were at a higher risk or not, and they have the ability to test huge numbers of those targeted people.

The posters here that keep carrying on about "gold standard contact tracing"......if they cannot see the difference nothing will help them understand. Dumb decisions on allowing Flight crews to stay in their own hotels have nothing to do with contact tracing.

3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #8441
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
A place where you'll find others that will affirm your opinions.

Hume Freeway a '24-hour free-for-all' after police checkpoint delays

Premier Daniel Andrews has expressed frustration at the Australian Defence Force’s refusal to help man the NSW border as it was revealed it took police until Monday afternoon to set up a checkpoint on the busy Hume Freeway.

Albury mayor Kevin Mack said there were long queues at the newly set-up checkpoint on the Hume Freeway late on Monday afternoon.

But he said many people had travelled from NSW into Victoria before it went up.

"Ostensibly it's been a free-for-all for probably 24 hours," Cr Mack said.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...21-p56p7h.html
Not good enough that the defence force has not provided the help required.

I can't help think that it is a time of year thing, unavailability of manpower due to XMas.

Lets hope we only get invaded on a weekday..........

4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #8442
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Not good enough that the defence force has not provided the help required.

I can't help think that it is a time of year thing, unavailability of manpower due to XMas.

Lets hope we only get invaded on a weekday..........
It is odd. Most likely as you say they've already furloughed their people off on holiday leave and it's logistically too hard to undo.
Old 22-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #8443
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
It is odd. Most likely as you say they've already furloughed their people off on holiday leave and it's logistically too hard to undo.
I’d like to think that international events like the Yom Kippur War might have stopped such inclinations.

Just tried to wade through the NSW gumnut advice on travel, there is no dissuasion in respect of leaving Sydney (or coming into it from elsewhere!) - save for staying out of the “insular peninsula”.

Been pondering whether I’m legally allowed to check on a car I have garaged in the Red Zone. :-/
Old 22-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #8444
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Been pondering whether I’m legally allowed to check on a car I have garaged in the Red Zone. :-/
Garaged on the Northern Beaches? I doubt they'd let you in for that reason and if they did, you wouldn't be coming back out.
Old 22-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #8445
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I’d like to think that international events like the Yom Kippur War might have stopped such inclinations.

Just tried to wade through the NSW gumnut advice on travel, there is no dissuasion in respect of leaving Sydney (or coming into it from elsewhere!) - save for staying out of the “insular peninsula”.

its been in the news/radio feeds to venture out and about more so for essentials etcetc and obviously Nth Beachs is a NO GO zone and has been quoted as such for days now not sure how you could ponder going there period.
Gumnut is about right, why would you bother looking there, gum bloody nuts.
Everywhere I've been in Sydney is half as busy as it was last week, school hols have contributed to less traffic and more this week to date.
Alot more people are wearing masks when I have gone to any shop BUT there is always the exceptions.
Overall its pretty good in general from my observations.
You'd have to be a off the grid with NO tv/radio etc fail to understand any of your interstate travel plans have been scuppered (the border restrictions fix that up) and if your a good citizen you'd change plans doing the right thing.
Nothing wrong just travelling around NSW its a big Gold State why bother elsewhere
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #8446
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Over 100 from NSW turned back from Queensland border after hard closures enforced

https://www.9news.com.au/national/qu...er-chec_221220

Quote:
More than one hundred New South Wales residents have been turned back from Queensland border checkpoints, in the hours after a hard border was imposed.

Queensland Police confirmed they had intercepted 57 cars carrying a total of 115 people allegedly trying to cross the border illegally.

Chief Superintendent Mark Wheeler said one Sydney woman, in particular, had left checkpoint officers infuriated.

"She turned up at our checkpoint here at the Gold Coast Highway (and) lied to us about where she had been, so our diligent police turned her around.

"She then attended the M1 checkpoint and attempted to gain entry there."
Mr Wheeler said police knew she had already tried to unsuccessfully cross the border and so she was fined $4000.

He said anyone planning to cross from New South Wales would be caught.

"The Queensland Police Service will be waiting for you with an unwanted Christmas gift of $4000 that you won't be able to return. Don't do it."

This morning multiple NSW-Queensland border crossings were already heavily congested.

Hundreds of metres of bright barricades were rolled out overnight in the closure, which has set the Queensland government back $250 million, after Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced all road entry points with NSW will be policed from 6am today.

The return to a hard border means every travellers' border declaration pass will be checked before they enter the state.

The number of open roads from Tweed Heads in NSW to the Gold Coast in Queensland has been cut from 17 to just three.

Ms Palaszczuk said the tough measures were needed because people were doing the wrong thing.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #8447
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
No, they are not telling people not to leave Sydney.

They are asking people not to leave Sydney. They also used the word "please".

Because imposing a law which bans all travel out of Sydney will make "that state" look like hypocrites for what they said about the VIC lockdown. Can't have that now can we?
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #8448
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Here we go again.... the US consulate in Sydney, together with state government, granted exemptions for US workers to fly into Australia (Sydney) and work on the air conditioning system at the US consulate.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/break...579b8567a466fd

Did I mention this is a US based strain?
Old 22-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #8449
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

I like it, someone 600km away telling me what I didn't see.

5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #8450
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

And... VIC now has the northern beaches virus.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/heal...410iocynzwxon6

Here. We. Go.
Old 22-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #8451
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Garaged on the Northern Beaches? I doubt they'd let you in for that reason and if they did, you wouldn't be coming back out.
He could just say his pet cat is trapped in the boot and be granted an exemption on compassionate grounds. It's that easy.
Old 22-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #8452
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW records only 8 new Zombies against record testing of 54,000.

All from known sources with one Healthcare worker infected.
Old 22-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #8453
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
And... VIC now has the northern beaches virus.
…Here. We. Go.
Two points, two flats and a packet of gravel.
Old 22-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #8454
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:

Might want to re-check your numbers.

This is why you shouldn't get information from Facebook posts.

edit: Added correct data.

Old 22-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #8455
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

from 9news 11.36am FGS
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...f-7d6463815ff6

have there been any deaths reported to date ?
Old 22-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #8456
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Might want to re-check your numbers.

This is why you shouldn't get information from Facebook posts.

edit: Added correct data.

Cheers, yes I had 54,000 versus actual 44,000 tested.

I know how much importance you place on accuracy

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=8414
Old 22-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #8457
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
from 9news 11.36am FGS
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...f-7d6463815ff6

have there been any deaths reported to date ?
Not that I've heard. I'm sure it would/will be big news when/if it does happen.
Old 22-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #8458
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Pretty good news out of sydney. Let’s hope it’s contained

I think Christmas and NYE will be a risky time.
Old 22-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #8459
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 21st, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

26 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR is 3.220%. NSW recorded 23 cases, Vic, Queensland, WA & ACT recorded 1 each.

5 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.179% and active cases 59.

The UK had a lower 33,364 cases yesterday and 215 deaths.

Just over 189k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,476 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.778% and active cases at 40.1% with the raw numbers rising and now over 7.3M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 1.7M with the last 50k in 5 days;
North America passes 21M cases;
The USA completes 236M, India 162M, Russia 86M, UK 50M, France 31M, Spain 25M, Iran 7M, Chile 6M and Azerbaijan 2M tests.

Only:
Namibia (585) - 35% above the previous high; and
Russia (29,350)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 22-12-2020 at 02:17 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #8460
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Pretty good news out of sydney. Let’s hope it’s contained

I think Christmas and NYE will be a risky time.
Christmas and NY + holidays was always going to be risky even without the recent outbreak, human is human.
Some just don't respect whats doing the right thing.
Closed Thread