Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 22-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
STEVE.82

Default Xc Gxl

Hi i recently bought myself a 1977 xc fairmont gxl its a 302 clevo, well the bloke i bought it off said it was a clevo and it has the blue rocker covers. its on gas, and petrol. i haven't had it running on petrol yet as one of the seals leaks. all matching numbers. car is pretty straight from what i can see. i'm pretty sure xc gxl's all came out with the square headlights but this 1 has the twin headlight grill. am i right and all gxl's came out with the square headlights or could it be optioned for the twin grill? it needs some tlc most of the rust is in the end around the tail lights. will be rust free in a few wks though. i'm missing a few bits like the square headlight grill, centre console lid, armrest for passenger side gxl power windows type, chrome around wheel arches and the passenger side rear plastic vent next to the back window is broken. i've pulled all the interior out of it. gonna redo it all in black with orange highlights as i am planning on painting the car burnt orange. might make it a metallic burnt orange haven't made my mind up yet. any help chasing up parts and any feedback would be great thanx.

these are the only pics i have before i got the car, i have some of my own but can't put them on the computer atm. when i can i will.

STEVE.82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
STEVE.82

actually i'm pretty sure it won't b the original grill anyway cause pre 1978 xc's didn't have the ford badge on the front from what i've read.
Old 22-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
XC_Lizzard

In the XC all Fairmonts (GXL or otherwise) came with the rectangular headlights, Falcon GS came with twin round light grill, base falcon with single round light grill. I'm not sure if anything falcon other than GS could be optioned with (or came with) the built in driving lights (possibly falcon 500).
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
xwboss

What is the chassis no and what option codes are on the plate

XW GS Fairmont 351C toploader 9inch

Mazda Bravo 4 X 4
xwboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
STEVE.82

chassis number - JG32TA44780K
where do i look for options codes
thanks steve
Old 23-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
xwboss

Chassis number says it is a fairmont GXL bulit July 77

The ‘R/PACK’ is an interesting option. It was also know as the ‘GS Rallye Pack’ and was a series of upgrades fitted to XC model Falcons and Fairmonts.

Pic shows option tag for this pack on radiator support panel

XW GS Fairmont 351C toploader 9inch

Mazda Bravo 4 X 4
xwboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
STEVE.82

Thanx mate but i don't think it has any tags like that. it used to have a vinyl roof 2 but there is no tag there for that either. i guess it should have the rectangular headlights then.

Last edited by STEVE.82; 24-08-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 24-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
STEVE.82

swapped my twin headlight grill which was in pretty bad condition plus $120 for some bonnet chrome and 2 rectangular headlight grills in reasonable condition just need the chrome headlight surrounds for them.
Old 26-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
unclefarty

What colour is the interior & what colour was the vinyl roof when you got it?
And where did you buy it from?
Cheers
unclefarty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
STEVE.82

interior is z on compliance plate, it is a tan colour. orignal paint was 5 or s a really light brown. there was no vinyl roof when i got it but the bloke i bought it off said it used to have 1. i got it from strathpine brisbane.
Old 31-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
oldmate

go to swap meets mate find in parts trader and ebay i have seen good parts for xc
oldmate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
STEVE.82

here are the pics as promised

progress is slow at this stage, the mate that was gonna cut the rust out for me is a bit busy so looks like its goin to be put off for a bit, gotta mate who works at a sandblasting place, he mayb able to sandblast it for me as he has work he wants me to do for him, thanks for ur interest.

steve