Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default how to replace alternator help

ok so i had a power sterring problem and one thing led to another and boom got my alternator coverd in power steering fluid a few days ago and now it doesnt work, i checked all the conections were clean, wiped down the alterantor it just doesnt charge (havent voltege tested) and the battery is only a few months old (less then a year) so lead me to belive its screwed haha

so my question is How do u remove and replace the alternator? im new to this kinda DIY stuff so any pics, tips or guids would be fantastic, also is it worth changing the Belt while the alternator is out since it has to be removed ne way?

cheers
brad`

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: how to replace alternator help

degrease LIKE CRAZY
leave to dry for *ages*
working alt

do a search, i think ronwest or AMB or one of them good ole boys did something like this a while back
Old 14-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
brad`
The Monty

would say 13 hrs be long enuff? lol

Old 14-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spray contact cleaner in it while it is running, might do a better job pulling it off and splitting it if you can, just mark the casings. Works a charm after I get mud and s. stuck in my Jeeps alternator after a good days 4wding.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
degrease LIKE CRAZY
leave to dry for *ages*
working alt

do a search, i think ronwest or AMB or one of them good ole boys did something like this a while back
Yeah, mine is still going strong after a couple of years.

I drowned it in degreaser, washed it out with hose and blew it out with compressed air. Certainly worth a try...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Yeah, mine is still going strong after a couple of years.

I drowned it in degreaser, washed it out with hose and blew it out with compressed air. Certainly worth a try...
Yep that's what I did except washed it with a pressure cleaner. Worth a try, new alt aint cheap. Removing the thermofans takes 5 min and gives you a lot more room, alt drops out the bottom.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
brad`
The Monty

might give that ago then, i degreased it last night so its been a few at least 14hrs ill give it a wash soon and then compress air it dry, and see where it gets me, if not time to find some spare cash for an alt :(

thanks for the tips/tricks and help people

ill let you know how i go

brad`

Old 15-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
brad`
The Monty

update: ok so degreaser, wash and dry = FAIL

no go people im going to head down to the auto-elecs 2moro morning and hope like hell its the battery its still under warrenty and if its the alternator like i think it is... damn... on the bright side i do have a connection were i can get one for 50 bucks 2nd hand so thats a back up

just a little update

Old 16-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
brad`
The Monty

ok new update, i re cleaned all the terminals on the battery and lubed them up. I un bolted the terminals on the alternator and cleaned the harnesses and the bolts and re fitted. jump started the car and let it run for about 5 mins before disconnecting the jumper cables, only to find it didnt get past 13v via the indash battery guage, and soon as the car was disconected from the jumper cables it started to drop slowly.

i gave it a little juice 2.5-3k revs and nothing didnt even hold its charge just kept droping

hope that helps someone further idenify if its the batter or the alter'. i still cant get my hands on a Voltage metere thing to check the volts on n e thing

cheers
brad`