Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #31
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vfacts august 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I like the Trax, grunty little 1.4 turbo with proper 6 speed auto rather than CVT that infects most of that class. Much better than the Mitsubishi ASX which sells a hell of a lot more.
I'm not expert on these models but I think ASX is bigger? Mitsi have the eclipse cross
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #32
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see the dad in a Holden loving family getting His daughter a Trax,
the Ford dad wouldn't put his worst enemy in an Ecosport
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #33
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
What Trax does have is advertising, i cannot understand why people would buy that god awful vehicle for other than the 'im so cool im driving a Trax' ads. 495? God the average IQ of Australians must have dropped or they are giving them away in Cornflakes sorry organic muesli packets.

Average IQs are dropping. Be thankful most of the nuclear reactors are in the other hemisphere.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the love affair with the Mustang is well and truly over... in the 100's by the end of the year?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #35
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Looks like the love affair with the Mustang is well and truly over... in the 100's by the end of the year?
It’s “flatlining”,in need of a defibrillater!Its poor old heart has stopped pumping.RIP!⚰️
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #36
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I'm not expert on these models but I think ASX is bigger? Mitsi have the eclipse cross
ASX is slightly bigger but is the same price as trax (before discount), eclipse cross is at least $5k more expensive.
Trax is now picking up the fleet customers that would have looked at astra sedan/wagon which are NLA, I saw one with SA Govt plates on it the other day.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #37
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Volumes could increase with a 4 door version, wagon, ute, panel van and LWB

Old 06-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Volumes could increase with a 4 door version, wagon, ute, panel van and LWB
The punters surely want factory LPG?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 AM   #39
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Mustang was never gonna be a long term big numbers car, those who wanted 1 went out and brought them, hell there are 6 mustangs in my work carpark, only 1 of them is the current model, they will pick up new buyers in the future as those who have them upgrade or when a new generational fan base comes up,
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2019, 04:21 AM   #40
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Mustang might pickup if they drop a supercharger on it.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #41
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Mustang might pickup if they drop a supercharger on it.
Yup,that is the “key” word,”might”.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Talking Re: Vfacts august 2019

The economy is halal as well which isn't helping and Ford appears to be attempting a rebrand to be a premium manufacturer given their pricing movements.

The problem with our low sales figures is they'll start cutting models soon from our lineup.

We've literally gone from being the Falcon company to the Ranger company

Ranger 4x2 sales are absolutely terrible, are they low spec vehicles?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Mustang looks like an indicator of buyer confidence, maybe people are just holding their $$$ and watching.
There are more second hand cars around now and perhaps a low km Mustang is all that most people want.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The economy is halal as well which isn't helping and Ford appears to be attempting a rebrand to be a premium manufacturer given their pricing movements.

The problem with our low sales figures is they'll start cutting models soon from our lineup.

We've literally gone from being the Falcon company to the Ranger company

Ranger 4x2 sales are absolutely terrible, are they low spec vehicles?
No, quite the opposite actually, the cheapest 4x2 Ranger is about $10K more than Hilux Tradie Ute...
Ford just refuses to deal in the bargain basement 4x2 realm, quite sad as a 2.5 petrol Ranger would
probably see Ranger getting a lot more of those 4x2 sales. Ford simply doesn't realise what its missing
with those easy sales, maybe it just can't be bothered putting in the effort (imagines marketing lying on banana lounge)

I would hope that Ecosport dies and gets replaced with something like "Puma" it's like a CX-3
So the marketing genius think tank at Ford will probably pass on it because they can't charge $50K.

Last edited by jpd80; 07-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
No, quite the opposite actually, the cheapest 4x2 Ranger is about $10K more than Hilux Tradie Ute...
Ford just refuses to deal in the bargain basement 4x2 realm, quite sad as a 2.5 petrol Ranger would
probably see Ranger getting a lot more of those 4x2 sales. Ford simply doesn't realise what its missing
with those easy sales, maybe it just can't be bothered putting in the effort (imagines marketing lying on banana lounge)

I would hope that Ecosport dies and gets replaced with something like "Puma" it's like a CX-3
So the marketing genius think tank at Ford will probably pass on it because they can't charge $50K.
With all the drama around DPF issues it makes you wonder if they'd get buyers for a high spec 4x2 Ranger dual cab with 2.3L Ecoboost?

Aggressive kit, wheels, lowered, XLT/Wildtrak interior - think Chevrolet C/K1500 454SS and SVT F150 Lightning of the 1990s

I'm anti dual cab only because of the wheezy diesel engines, something like that would be a winner for me, you don't NEED 4x4 capability.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and zero deals /offers on Mustang at the moment wouldn't help sales,
Ford would sooner move less cars at higher prices because of their main
metric being profit as a percentage of revenue (IMO, absolutely crazy).
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #47
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’d take a Ecoboost Ranger 4wd. Will not touch a POS diesel (nowadays).

Last edited by Brazen; 07-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With all the drama around DPF issues it makes you wonder if they'd get buyers for a high spec 4x2 Ranger dual cab with 2.3L Ecoboost?
Toyota offered a V6 Hilux for years before dropping, so too tiny V6 Colorado sales so any performance Ranger
would have to be streets better like say 2.7 EBV6 or even the new 3.0 EB V6 and of course 3.0 EB V6 PHEV...

DPF is not an issue for the new 2.0 Panther diesel, it has a lot of really up to date thinking.
I think that Ford is slowly winning the displacement perception war as buyers give the 2.0 a go.
but you are right, Ford really needs to think next level stuff for the performance ute buyer

Ford me, anyone paying $75K for a performance ute has a right to expect something in the
realm of a 3.0 EB V6 and PHEV as per the current HP Lincoln Aviator with 495 HP and 600 lb ft
available on launch and near 19 miles of pure electric range. Go twirk that one in Toyota's face.

2.3 EB is anchored to US Ranger and cannot/will not be extended for just two years production
before we go to NG Ranger, the issues with fuel economy may also preclude it from our market..

Last edited by jpd80; 07-09-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Toyota offered a V6 Hilux for years before dropping, so too tiny V6 Colorado sales so any performance Ranger
would have to be streets better like say 2.7 EBV6 or even the new 3.0 EB V6 and of course 3.0 EB V6 PHEV...

DPF is not an issue for the new 2.0 Panther diesel, it has a lot of really up to date thinking.
I think that Ford is slowly winning the displacement perception war as buyers give the 2.0 a go.
but you are right, Ford really needs to think next level stuff for the performance ute buyer

Ford me, anyone paying $75K for a performance ute has a right to expect something in the
realm of a 3.0 EB V6 and PHEV as per the current HP Lincoln Aviator with 495 HP and 600 lb ft
available on launch and near 19 miles of pure electric range. Go twirk that one in Toyota's face.

2.3 EB is anchored to US Ranger and cannot/will not be extended for just two years production
before we go to NG Ranger, the issues with fuel economy may also preclude it from our market..
Keep in mind the years they were selling V6 engine Thailand special utes was when you had Falcon/Commodore utes available and diesels weren't addled by rediculous emissions crapola like DPF.

There's now no $45K XR6T/SS Commodore ute anymore and it feels like everyone's asleep at the wheel on an opportunity here.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #50
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus there are heaps who have tried the diesel experiment and want back to petrol. I know a couple guys who have bought their first diesel and it will be their last.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #51
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Plus there are heaps who have tried the diesel experiment and want back to petrol. I know a couple guys who have bought their first diesel and it will be their last.
And then there are plenty (of us) who have owned them since the early 80's and still own them........................

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
And then there are plenty (of us) who have owned them since the early 80's and still own them........................
Yeah there are heaps who will prefer diesel in this segment. It will probably always be at least 50% and probably a lot more than that. For many diesel still makes sense

But if say Holden chucked in their GM 5.3 petrol V8 8 speed auto combo in a Colorado at $48,990 driveaway they wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand. Good profits as the v8 is cheaper to make than a turbo diesel. They won’t do that as no one wants to be the first

With the tide turning against diesel due to complexity, repair costs, growing sensitivity to moisture in fuel, reliability and worsening consumption (while petrol is getting significantly better) I cannot imagine Hilux and Ranger remaining no1 and no.2 sellers, they will probably stay in the top 10 though. But I guess we’ll see. They could stay there for the next decade!

Last edited by Brazen; 07-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #53
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Mustang looks like an indicator of buyer confidence, maybe people are just holding their $$$ and watching.
There are more second hand cars around now and perhaps a low km Mustang is all that most people want.
like all buyers, there is a % of buyers that see it as the dream performance model & there are those who see it as just a 2 door v8

Most of those that see it as a dream performance model have bitten the bullet & got one, they are modifying them & probably are not looking to move them on too quickly

for someone like me its not a aspirational vehicle, it would be a fun daily so to drop $75 or so grand on it compared to $40 ish or so is a no brainer...
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yeah there are heaps who will prefer diesel in this segment. It will probably always be at least 50% and probably a lot more than that. For many diesel still makes sense

But if say Holden chucked in their GM 5.3 petrol V8 8 speed auto combo in a Colorado at $48,990 driveaway they wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand. Good profits as the v8 is cheaper to make than a turbo diesel. They won’t do that as no one wants to be the first

With the tide turning against diesel due to complexity, repair costs, growing sensitivity to moisture in fuel, reliability and worsening consumption (while petrol is getting significantly better) I cannot imagine Hilux and Ranger remaining no1 and no.2 sellers, they will probably stay in the top 10 though. But I guess we’ll see. They could stay there for the next decade!
Diesel is a joke in smaller passenger vehicles like hatches - I've got a pre DPF Diesel Focus, does 5.5L/100km on the highway.

Old man has a Fiesta ST - makes 59KW more, the same amount of torque and does 6L/100km (has mountune package)

Uses 500ml more fuel to 100km for over 50% more power, makes the same torque, is a hell of a lot faster and the oil filter is $8 for the genuine Ford one.

It has its uses in large vehicles used for pulling heavy loads but the school run?

The only reason I have a diesel Focus was I bought it on my Ps when Victoria introduced blanket bans on forced induction vehicles aside from diesels - which they finally relaxed eventually because it banned kids from driving modern fuel efficient cars.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-09-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #55
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Diesel is a joke in smaller passenger vehicles like hatches - I've got a pre DPF Diesel Focus, does 5.5L/100km on the highway.

Old man has a Fiesta ST - makes 59KW more, the same amount of torque and does 6L/100km (has mountune package)

Uses 500ml more fuel to 100km for over 50% more power, makes the same torque, is a hell of a lot faster and the oil filter is $8 for the genuine Ford one.

It has its uses in large vehicles used for pulling heavy loads but the school run?

The only reason I have a diesel Focus was I bought it on my Ps when Victoria introduced blanket bans on forced induction vehicles aside from diesels - which they finally relaxed eventually because it banned kids from driving modern fuel efficient cars.

I had a LT diesel Focus 2008 kept it from 3000kms (demo) to 278000 kms averaged 5.2 litres per 100km or 5.3 with air con on. Went like a train. Did shocks at 130000 brakes at 150000 timing chain /water pump at 180000 the air dam fell off replaced it at 220000km redid seat base at 240000 nothing else went wrong with it.

one night I was chasing a turbo petrol (150kw vs my 100kw) up a steep winding mountain rd he got away on the corners but I rounded him up with the 320nm of torque on the straights. Could load it up with 5 people went the same as 1 person. Great car only got rid of it as I thought my luck was going to run out.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #56
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The MG is selling by the ship load. Why ? price and 7 year warranty. And doesnt look too bad. The people I work with who have one are pleased with it. The Essence has a 1l turbo 3 pot. Ford do need an entry level model. I drove , priced the Focus Active with option packs 1 and 2 $38k drive away. There is a lot of competition in that price range. The Button Plan didnt work....
"Ford’s all-important 2021 Ranger update is likely to answer the prayers of many enthusiasts, with both petrol and diesel turbocharged V6 engines to be used.

A source within Ford’s You Yangs proving ground has confirmed that along with significantly updated bodywork, the Ranger’s engine line-up will be getting an extensive rework for its next update.

Read next: 2021 Ford ranger scooped!

While the future of the 3.2-litre five-cylinder, and 2.0-litre four-pot that is currently fitted to the Ranger remains unclear, Ford will add a pair of V6 turbo engines to the range.

Wheels can reveal that both a 3.0-litre single turbo Power Stroke diesel and 2.7-litre twin-turbo ‘Nano’ Ecoboost petrol are currently being tested in Australia.

The second generation of the ‘Nano’ Ecoboost made its debut in 2018, and features a number of changes carried over from the 3.5-litre Ecoboost that is fitted to the F-150 Raptor.

When fitted to the regular F-150 the twin-turbo V6 produces its peak power of 242kW at 5000rpm, while all 542Nm worth of torque is delivered at just 2750rpm.

If Ford sells the petrol V6 Ranger in Australia, it would be the most powerful traditional dual-cab you can buy, by a significant margin.

However, it’s likely this engine is being developed with the North American market front of mind. That’s not to say that Australians will miss out, but a high-power petrol dual-cab has yet to be offered by any manufacturer locally.

Read next: Ford Ranger goes sub-five seconds to 100km/h

Much more likely to be offered in Australia is the 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine. The Power Stroke family of engines isn’t exactly in its youth, having first gone into production in 1994.

The 3.0-litre single-turbo V6 Power Stroke diesel was first introduced last year in the Ford F-150, generating 186kW and 597Nm. When fitted to the F-150, the engine has a claimed towing capacity of 5189kg.

With a graphite iron engine block and aluminium alloy cylinder heads, the 3.0 Power Stroke is designed to save weight.

Remember that Ford Ranger Raptor mule that was spotted earlier this week? One of the readers of our sister magazine, 4x4 Australia, claims to have seen the same vehicle being filled with fuel. The catch being that the Ford Engineer was pumping 98 octane petrol.

Read next: Next Ford Ranger Raptor spotted testing

Originally it was believed that Ford was evaluating a tuned version of the 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder Ecoboost engine as an option for US Ranger Raptors. However, it seems that the Blue Oval has put this on the backburner, instead opting for more cylinders in order to get the power levels it desires.

Wheels scooped the 2021 Ford Ranger earlier this year, when a design model was photographed while in transit, giving us a clear indicator of the dual-cab’s appearance.

Ford Australia refrained from confirming the news when contacted by Wheels, instead stating that the company is always looking to improve its vehicles.

“We’re really proud of how much Australians have embraced Ranger," Matt Moran, Ford Australia Communications Director, said.

"We’re always looking to continuously improve the product - like the addition of the heavy duty suspension option and the FX4 for the MY2020 lineup. We have nothing to share just yet about what’s next.”

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2021-ford-ranger-this-is-definitely-it"
Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The punters surely want factory LPG?
They sure will when the Straits of Malacca get blockaded.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel will still be required for remote areas, its economy and the restrictions on taking petrol into some areas will see to that. Toyota has said they will keep doing diesel on LC and Prado, too.

However, it will be legislated out of common occurrence starting out in Euro cities and expanding outward. Because of particulates (and going on in the background, maybe because of peak diesel production). Petrol is improving too, and until electric there are two paths: one, the hybrid and two, what Mazda is trying.

Hybrid 3.5V6 will be in LC300 and similar is in the big Ford Expeditions and F series - here you have diesel economy, zero low speed/local emissions and fuel consumption. Toyota's RAV4 hybrid is hitting it out of the park at present - this is the big market shift right now.

Mazda have now released their Skyactiv X, which seems to be a mix between petrol and diesel motors, able to run on 91. Review follows, I reckon there is room for significant improvement on the consumption the journos have got.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/772224/...iv-x-review-2/

Also, for those of you wanting a petrol V6 commercial vehicle, in the meantime there is the dragstrip HiAce, with 3.5V6!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #59
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
The MG is selling by the ship load. Why ? price and 7 year warranty. And doesnt look too bad. The people I work with who have one are pleased with it. The Essence has a 1l turbo 3 pot. Ford do need an entry level model. I drove , priced the Focus Active with option packs 1 and 2 $38k drive away. There is a lot of competition in that price range. The Button Plan didnt work....
That's the other thing that has happened since closure of local factories.

Brands "going premium", so you see base onroads for Corolla, 3 and Focus 27 or 28K? Is that about right?
75K top dual cab utes
75K Mustang for V8 RWD.

Amazing what we used to get for 40-45K...
Old 07-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #60
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s a lot easier to sell Corollas for 30k when the mob across the road are no longer selling large 6 cylinder rear wheel drive cars for 35k

One of the benefits of local manufacturing, it kept a check on prices