Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Would you buy a discounted Holden?

I thought this deserved it's own thread as I'm semi genuine about the thought of buying one.

Possible discounts are just rumour at this stage via a confidential dealer memo leaked to a car news outlet.

If we believe that Holden (GM) are serious about keeping some dealerships open for servicing and honouring the 10 year parts supply and also the service and warranty agreements, then there seems very little risk (on the surface) in buying a 'fire sale' car.

Obviously the resale will suck but I was thinking more of a long term purchase. A new Astra rumoured to be about $13k drive away would be a good buy I think. Good little shopping trolley for the wife or first car for the daughter.

It all hinges on whether or not GM will honour their word, and their track record isn't great in this regard.

Would you?

This is not about bagging the brand or what could have been. Keep that for the other thread.
Old 20-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Would you buy a discounted Holden?

As an economical daily driver, i tend to think the idea has merit. Youve already covered the lack of resale issue, but for the cheaper runabouts its of less relevance. A much cheaper purchase price cuts the depreciation cost, which is one of the biggest elements of total ownership cost.

Servicing may require some travel, but that depends entirely on where you live in relation to the nearest service centre, which likely hasnt been determined yet.

Might be a gamble worth taking.

Ute tragic.

Last edited by anobserver; 20-02-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I thought this deserved it's own thread as I'm semi genuine about the thought of buying one.

Possible discounts are just rumour at this stage via a confidential dealer memo leaked to a car news outlet.

If we believe that Holden (GM) are serious about keeping some dealerships open for servicing and honouring the 10 year parts supply and also the service and warranty agreements, then there seems very little risk (on the surface) in buying a 'fire sale' car.

Obviously the resale will suck but I was thinking more of a long term purchase. A new Astra rumoured to be about $13k drive away would be a good buy I think. Good little shopping trolley for the wife or first car for the daughter.

It all hinges on whether or not GM will honour their word, and their track record isn't great in this regard.

Would you?

This is not about bagging the brand or what could have been. Keep that for the other thread.
if you dont mind holdens then $13000 is a great price for an astra
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

What i see happening is similar to when daewoo left. Any parts, warrenties etc were honored by holden. Granted both brands were under the same umbrella. So gm effectively backing out of the country i can see them striking a deal with another manufacturer just for parts, service and warrenty issues. As for the discounted vehicles, for the private buyer who sells up when the warrenty is up, i see it not a bad deal. Companies who update their fleets every few years will snap up the cheap colorados etc. As for people like myself who keep a car until it costs more in repairs per year then rego and insurance costs, i personally would not take the risk as the car will probably be fine until all support like parts etc dry up and with a lot of models not really selling well in the first place, wrecker parts will be few and far between.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Log book servicing doesn't need a dealer to keep warranty but even still it's generally only once a year on most cars these days.

Not sure what stock levels are like at most dealerships but I'd imagine at these rumoured deals they won't last long.
Old 20-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I spoke to the Wife about it, she said she'd be happy to move the Picanto on for a Trax.
I wonder if their doing deals now or closer to the end of the year.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I spoke to the Wife about it, she said she'd be happy to move the Picanto on for a Trax.
I wonder if their doing deals now or closer to the end of the year.
March onwards I heard.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/827940/holden-discounts-2/
Old 20-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will probably auction them with no warranty.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
They will probably auction them with no warranty.
I didn't think buying at auction absolved the manufacturer of their warranty obligations. Only the seller.
Old 20-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #10
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of holdens range are not bad cars. Pretty good in fact. Special mention for Colorado, Astra and commodore. So why not, you’ll get a decent car, cheap, warranty, and it will last a long time. It’s not like they are the rubbish Daewoos of the past anymore.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I didn't think buying at auction absolved the manufacturer of their warranty obligations. Only the seller.
Who in their right mind would buy 1 do you think the dealers are going to buy them after being craped on by gm and then warrant them for 7 years. Within 12 months they will just be a memory no parts and warranty and what legal recourse will you have under consumer law if they have gone out of business they would have to be almost giving them away to take the risk.
Old 20-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #12
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be, if I needed a new car, which I don't.
Resale/trade-in value for somebody who changes cars often is going to be terrible, but for some-one who drives their car into the ground over a long period, good value, if (insert many reasons here...………….)
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Who in their right mind would buy 1 do you think the dealers are going to buy them after being craped on by gm and then warrant them for 7 years. Within 12 months they will just be a memory no parts and warranty and what legal recourse will you have under consumer law if they have gone out of business they would have to be almost giving them away to take the risk.
So can we assume you won't be interested in one then?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would watch the youtube video on AutoExpert before making a decision to purchase a discounted Holden.
John Cadogan is mad as a meat axe but he does dissect the whole thing very well.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Knee jerk reaction is that I've liked the Astra since it was released, the styling really appeals. If I was looking in that class, I'd go have a look. Then I heard about the deals a year or two ago. Now the media saying a 12K Astra - seems incredible.
Old 20-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So can we assume you won't be interested in one then?
I didn't think I was being that obvious but yes
Old 20-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

As a private buyer, id have no issue holding a car the length of the warranty period. A stock of consumable items is mandated required by the seller.

The length of the warranty, nothing else should be needed.......### crosses fingers#### Near or at warranty end, trade and start again.

The biggest threat to this plan is accident or unexpected wear and tear not covered by warranty. Some parts may be hard or expensive to find...and then the cost advantage is lost.

Ute tragic.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #18
MercuryT
Banned

Yes if a Ford Territory
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #19
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
I would watch the youtube video on AutoExpert before making a decision to purchase a discounted Holden.
John Cadogan is mad as a meat axe but he does dissect the whole thing very well.
Can I choose to repeatedly slam my cock in a car door instead of watch one of his videos?
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #20
MercuryT
Banned

Oh sorry. Wrong thread.

Thought good car chat
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #21
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Further thought - we tend to keep them for a long time, and pay in cash. Depreciation (JC dissected this well in his yt video, I get what he is saying) in % terms, you can do better with a Kluger compared to an Acadia, yep, I get that too.

However, a 13K Astra? I'd say this would appeal to many people who are cash buyers. New car of Corolla size, 13K instead of 26 onroad (but the 26K Corolla will retain value far better, understand this too). Imagine a world where auto loans didn't exist, loans which have enabled purchase prices to be far inflated from what people having in actual savings... a 13K Astra would be plausible in a loan-free world.

A 13K purchase price risk, you'd suffer that loss driving many cars off the lot.
Old 20-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #22
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Can I choose to repeatedly slam my cock in a car door instead of watch one of his videos?
It's a free world
Old 20-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #23
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is law that a manufacturer must back a car for parts for 10 years. This includes GM in this situation.
It has also been said that Holden will still have an office open for customer service/warranty for the next 10 years.

Their hand is forced here, so a buyer is still covered.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #24
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More thinking - at 13K Astra, buy a second one as a parts car...

There was someone on one of the CA articles, he bought Saabs in the firesale, $400 each he said, bought 9 of them. "Shall we take the blue Saab today?"
Old 20-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yes, "Leaked"
Keep in mind that dealers are the masters at turning anything into a profit...

I'm sure that the media and advertising will abound with tales of the great deals they're doing, but then when you get there you'll find the "massive savings" are off the list price, that nobody has been selling them at anyway. And then they'll tell you how they have no stock left, and will have to work extra hard to try and find you a car, and of course you have to sign today or you will miss out.

A lot of dealers are part of groups. If its a good yard and showrooms, it will simply be repurposed, and even at worts if the yard closes they'll just move their stock to another yard. Most of these groups are holding squillions in used-car stocks, so the last thing they want to do is crap all-over that.

I suspect the only way you will get a decent genuine savings is if Holden offers "cash back", otherwise any discount they offer on stock will be mostly snaffled by the dealers.

But, like anything, shop around.
If the best deal you can get on a similarly equipt i30 is $X, and you can get the Astra for $2k less, go for it.

Warranty wise, I imagine they will contract those out to another network. (When Saab went under, their warranty obligations were assigned to Holden.)

As for Parts, meh. If there is demand for parts, somebody will stock them. And worst case, hop on the interwebs and buy them from Europe.
Old 20-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #26
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Dealer: we're clearing the last of these Astras for a one-off price of $12990.

Buyer: how much less tradein for my one-owner Saab?

Ute tragic.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #27
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carsguide has calais tourer with under 2k on the clock for 30
thats tempting
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Oh yes, "Leaked"
Keep in mind that dealers are the masters at turning anything into a profit...

I'm sure that the media and advertising will abound with tales of the great deals they're doing, but then when you get there you'll find the "massive savings" are off the list price, that nobody has been selling them at anyway. And then they'll tell you how they have no stock left, and will have to work extra hard to try and find you a car, and of course you have to sign today or you will miss out.

A lot of dealers are part of groups. If its a good yard and showrooms, it will simply be repurposed, and even at worts if the yard closes they'll just move their stock to another yard. Most of these groups are holding squillions in used-car stocks, so the last thing they want to do is crap all-over that.

I suspect the only way you will get a decent genuine savings is if Holden offers "cash back", otherwise any discount they offer on stock will be mostly snaffled by the dealers.

But, like anything, shop around.
If the best deal you can get on a similarly equipt i30 is $X, and you can get the Astra for $2k less, go for it.

Warranty wise, I imagine they will contract those out to another network. (When Saab went under, their warranty obligations were assigned to Holden.)

As for Parts, meh. If there is demand for parts, somebody will stock them. And worst case, hop on the interwebs and buy them from Europe.
Even if it’s off the list price, if the rumoured $17,500 saving off a Colorado is true that would take an auto LTZ to around $40,000. That’s not bad buying at all.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #29
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
It is law that a manufacturer must back a car for parts for 10 years. This includes GM in this situation.
It has also been said that Holden will still have an office open for customer service/warranty for the next 10 years.

Their hand is forced here, so a buyer is still covered.

It is not 10 years, it does not state that anywhere in legislation. That was just the industry's "unwritten" rule. The law actually states something along the lines "for an acceptable period." From memory someone on here provided a link to it, buggered if I can find it again...
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #30
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone ever found where the stash of non sold vehicles is, and how many are there?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post