Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
FordGeezer

Default Ford Falcon Au1 H2Os Lean?

G'Day
So I've just changed the fuel pump and also put on new 5/16 EFI fuel hose
for the pump and my utes going haywire!,it splutters and dies at low and high speed if I can even get to high speed,it will sometimes start straight up where other times it takes a good few starts to get it going,but it seems to idles fine?

So I grabbed the old laptop out and hooked up the ELM and it gave me a lean H2o code.
I checked all the new hose I hooked up no fuel leaks anywhere.
Its never done anything like this in the past.
Anyone have any theory's?

I've mucked up bad somewhere...
FordGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford Falcon Au1 H2Os Lean?

Have you put the fuel hoses back on the correct way? IIRC two of the hoses have the same fitting to the pump and can be put on visa versa.

Mine were on the wrong way when I bought it and was showing the same symptoms as you describe. Also, it had too much fuel pressure and the carbon canister started leaking out fuel.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Have you put the fuel hoses back on the correct way? IIRC two of the hoses have the same fitting to the pump and can be put on visa versa.

Mine were on the wrong way when I bought it and was showing the same symptoms as you describe. Also, it had too much fuel pressure and the carbon canister started leaking out fuel.
Eeeh say I just got 5/16 size EFI hose and hooked all the same size hose up to the three connectors on the pump using hose clamps,would this give me the pressure issues you mentioned?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGeezer View Post
Eeeh say I just got 5/16 size EFI hose and hooked all the same size hose up to the three connectors on the pump using hose clamps,would this give me the pressure issues you mentioned?
You may have inadvertently swapped the hoses over. Did you take all three hoses off at once or do one at a time?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
FordGeezer

Quote:
You may have inadvertently swapped the hoses over. Did you take all three hoses off at once or do one at a time?
I swapped all the hoses connected to the pump at the same time and replaced them all with the 5/16 sized hose,might that be my problem I didn't think it would affect it so much
Old 07-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

If you put the return line on the breather line and the breather line on the return line you get problems.

Is the tank pressurising? Is it making a hissing sound when you undo the petrol cap after driving it?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
FordGeezer

Quote:
If you put the return line on the breather line and the breather line on the return line you get problems.

Is the tank pressurising? Is it making a hissing sound when you undo the petrol cap after driving it?
Just went and checked after running the car for a while no hiss sound and it does hiss when ever I go to top up fuel...Reckon I haven't tightened a clamp enough on one of the hose lines?
Also I was pretty careful when putting on the lines so they shouldn't be mixed up.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just went and checked after running the car for a while no hiss sound and it does hiss when ever I go to top up fuel...Reckon I haven't tightened a clamp enough on one of the hose lines?
Also I was pretty careful when putting on the lines so they shouldn't be mixed up.
So does it hiss or not? It will not make that hissing sound if the tank has not emptied out to a point. Letting it idle for a while will not empty out the fuel tank enough to make it pressurise.

Take it for a good drive, at least a 100k or so to empty out the tank a little. If is hisses when you take the cap off then you have a pressurising problem and I would say that you have put the breather line and return line on back to front.

Keep in mind how the lines run along the chassis rail of the car are not the way they hook up to the fuel pump. They essentially cross over just before the fuel tank.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I could have helped with this problem but I see that PG2 fat cat bloke beat me to it.
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
FordGeezer

Quote:
So does it hiss or not? It will not make that hissing sound if the tank has not emptied out to a point. Letting it idle for a while will not empty out the fuel tank enough to make it pressurise.

Take it for a good drive, at least a 100k or so to empty out the tank a little. If is hisses when you take the cap off then you have a pressurising problem and I would say that you have put the breather line and return line on back to front.

Keep in mind how the lines run along the chassis rail of the car are not the way they hook up to the fuel pump. They essentially cross over just before the fuel tank.
G'day
I double checked the hoses and I've even had my local mechanic check it out and hes scratching his head as well...my mechanic said it might be best to get the 3 Oem hoses off another ute,I've had little luck in finding any but only hoses I've come across are off Au1 sedans and no one is sure if they will fit on my ute I've asked so far.
Might you know if they will fit?
As for going for a 100k trip I'm lucky if it will make it 1k down the road cuts out pretty fast
Cheers for your replys by the way

Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #11
FordGeezer

Quote:

Well this is embarrassing........
I replied to fast and just realized what you said about the the lines crossing over....DUH!
I'll be riiiight back....
Old 10-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Also have a look at this...

http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%2010-2A.html

Scroll down to the last page and take note not only of the which line is which but also the line sizes.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
FordGeezer

Quote:
Also have a look at this...

http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%2010-2A.html

Scroll down to the last page and take note not only of the which line is which but also the line sizes.
You are too good!,exactly what I need
Old 10-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
FordGeezer

Welp...yep I had them straight connecting instead of crossing...Jesus christ...
Thanks for your help PG2!
One of my biggest automotive blunders and I've only just getting into it...
Stay tuned folks I'm sure there's going to be more,all part of the fun I suppose hahaha
Cheers!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #15
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Stay tuned folks I'm sure there's going to be more,all part of the fun I suppose hahaha
Cheers!
All good mate, that is what these forums are for - not only to help people but laugh at each other's blunders!

Is it going good now? You may need to dry out the carbon canister as well.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Cheers!
Don't forget to tell your head scratching mechanic where he can look for advice as well
Old 10-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #17
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Don't forget to tell your head scratching mechanic where he can look for advice as well
Haha you bet I will