Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
bucknbuzz

Default dpf and engine malfunction light

our focus has a blocked dpf and the engine malfunction light (EML) comes on just after starting. The code, 2463, tells us the dfp has a soot build up. I was reading online that if the EML comes on, the car will not conduct a regen burn. Is this the case? If so, how can this problem be treated, as the EML comes on only because the dpf problem is there? Can someone tell me what course of action, other than burning the car and buying a petrol one, I can take?
thanks
bucknbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: dpf and engine malfunction light

You may be able to force a regen with a diagnostic tool. Does Forscan offer this?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you asked the manufacturer of the car ?
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dealer or a reputable mechanic should be able to force a regeneration on the dpf.
Just be wary that it could be a fault of a sensor or something that has caused the dpf to not perform a regen.
That or not driving the car at high speeds for 20+ minutes at one time each week.

We've got a 2006 Peugeot 307 which had a EGR sensor fault that caused the DPF (or FAP in French) to not perform a regen.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
IanC

It may be full of ash. In theory when that happens you are supposed to buy a new one at exorbitant cost. I have heard of people getting them cleaned. In the UK there are companies which will do that but I haven't heard of them out here. Another reason for not getting a diesel car.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

normal reasonable heavy driving should generate temperatures that are high enough to burn the soot off. The risk of this when the MIL light is on and the filter is already blocked is that the exhaust back pressure will be high and may cause other issues. The sheer amount of soot to burn may also cause problems

All dealers will know of the service regen procedure. I suggest you do this through them rather than plug forscan in and force it yourself - just in case! it does get bloody hot.

in future, moderate to heavy driving on a reasonable regular basis will prevent soot buildup.

Of course - this assumes no underlying issue like sensor malfunction etc
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
bucknbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cop View Post
Have you asked the manufacturer of the car ?
yes i have and all i got was 'book it in with our service team and they can look at it'. from all else I have read I don't think its the best 1st option, so my query here is to help me establish what options are out there before dishing out $$$ to ford in the first instance.
bucknbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post