Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
GTHOXR8

Default Changing Diff Oil

I am about to change to oil in my diff. According to the manual I just loosen the bottom bolts on the plate and let the oil leak out.(seems messy)

Would I need a new gasket gasket?

If I'm having a good look at the diff then I remove the watts linkage and remove the whole plate, then I would need a new gasket.

Any suggestions/tips on changing dif oil before I start!!

Any help greatly appreciated

GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Just take out the very bottom bolt and let it drain but before that check the breather is clear otherwise the same thing will happen to you as me, the oil instead of draining slow the diff must have had a pressure build up and when i loosend the bolt the oil shot out about a meter straight back lucky its a ute and spare tyre was out of way. my breather was that blocked compressed air wasn't able to budge it so i drilled it out a tad bigger. make sure you use the castrol oil the SAF-XA it works wonders and it doesnt need any additives it is already added.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

to slow what he said lol

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
GTHOXR8

Thanks Neishaxr8, great tip, so need for a new gasket then if just changing oil?
Old 28-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

well mine hasnt leaked, that bottom bolt is the actual drain plug they specify in my book. i wouldn't look inside unless the oil coming out is all full of metal grit (heaps) or metal chucks are coming out. if its a quiet diff then just change oil. after all when you change your engine oil you dont take the sump off to have a peak so unless you see a problem in the lubricating oil then just leave it. thats my opinion.
Old 28-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do the utes use a gasket or sealant on the diff cover? Mine is a LSD on a XR6 AUII and its weeping at the bottom
thanks in advance,
Bill.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
GTHOXR8

All done
Bottom bolt is the drain hole. Oil came out thick and sludgy after 110 000km.
Filled it up until it started to flow out the fill hole, tighten it up and test drove and all is good.

Pretty simple but the repair manual made it out to be a bit more difficult.
Thanks for all advice
Old 28-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

good to hear it went well gthoxr8, bill m im not sure if they use gaskets neva pulled on down yet but someone on here would have and will prob reply.
Old 28-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When I did mine, I found it to be a bit messy, and the overflow when refilling annoyed me too.

I thought that next time, I'd jack up the front of the car a bit, to aid extraction of old fluid, then jack up the back a little and simply add the specified amount. The fill hole will be a tad higher and the oil wouldn't leak out. Well, that's the plan anyway! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Good thread this, I am planning to do my transmission and diff oil tomorrow.
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had mine drained .... and it came out like water .... BAAAAAD.
also flushed it through as well with new fluid and topped up ... also put the additive it.
Felt much better in the rear end when it come to powering out of corners, etc.

Mind you I don't know if the previous owner had it done .... I did it about 20,000km ago and it still feels good (I had mine checked as it was feeling a little "weird" when turning).

It's an easier job than the transmission ... but diff oil stinks to high heaven ... one tip from me ... don't get it on you ... you will smell for a while ... LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
but diff oil stinks to high heaven ... one tip from me ... don't get it on you ... you will smell for a while ... LOL
Very true, a shocking stench indeed! My hands smelled like diff oil for a few days, and I didn't really get much on them. Disgusting stuff!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had to replace an axle seal and bearing on the ute (had to take the axle out) ... and had no choice in regards with getting diff oil on me ... was bloody awful.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for the last 2 months i have been rebuilding CAT dumptruck diffs, and i can tell you the stench that comes from them is 10 times worse than your car diffs!! (and 10 times as big)

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I wouldn't be surprised either ... that'd be a hell of a crap job.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Horrible job, glad it's you. I hope you get good money to smell so horrible! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 08-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
bazz
Melbourne Lad

What size is the top nut on the diff? I tried 24mm on my ratchet, but it was still too big for me to open.
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

What oil for a whining diff???, not a bad whine, but constant and annoying, what do you guys use to quiet them down?
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think Nulon G70 is the additive to reduce this whine.
In a white tube ... can't remember the rating for the diff oil that I had put in though ... seeing as my mehanic did it while I was doing other work on my car ... so i didn't get to see what went it (I know it was thicker than the water that came out though ... LOL)
Old 18-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #20
terry11
Starter Motor

Default Re: Changing Diff Oil

Is there any technical guide in the forums on how to change diff oil on a SZ diesel territory ?
terry11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post