Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #121
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: EV policy by federal government and the states

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
so a side note to this "fossil sh!t" is running out and we need to go ev

so doesn't a lot of oil base stuff go in to making tyres ?

and if fossil is gone what we going to make tyres from ?

no fossil no tyres , no tyres no need for ev's
If you're not using it for fuel, there will be a lot left for other industries and manufacturing. Till we get a substitute. Be silly to think we will still be making things like we do now in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #122
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
If you're not using it for fuel, there will be a lot left for other industries and manufacturing. Till we get a substitute.
All that carbon was at one point on the surface, so it seems silly not to keep drilling for it.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #123
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
If you're not using it for fuel, there will be a lot left for other industries and manufacturing. Till we get a substitute. Be silly to think we will still be making things like we do now in the future.

What do you mean? Everything will be the same forever, we must never look past 5 years. /s
Old 14-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #124
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs
Plastics as well. There is a hell of a lot of stuff in EV's made with oil products. Even if we stop using petrol there will still be a lot of demand for oil to make things.

Only difference is they don't burn it to run.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #125
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
clothes, feed stock...

fuel will get dearer, some will think less demand lower price..
drilling expensive hard to amortize the investment cost..

the ones that need it (the planet) "shipping" with over one million shaft horsepower engine's, may have to go nuclear powered...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #126
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Plastics as well. There is a hell of a lot of stuff in EV's made with oil products. Even if we stop using petrol there will still be a lot of demand for oil to make things.

Only difference is they don't burn it to run.
It's not even comparable in the EV equation. It's about 3.3 litres of crude to make 1kg of plastic. If you're saying EVs will need oil, I agree. If you're saying the EVs will need even remotely similar amounts of oil, you're very mistaken.

Old 15-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #127
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It's not even comparable in the EV equation. It's about 3.3 litres of crude to make 1kg of plastic. If you're saying EVs will need oil, I agree. If you're saying the EVs will need even remotely similar amounts of oil, you're very mistaken.

In terms of building the cars main materials, sans oils in driveline, they should be pretty similar. Why do you always need to get your back up?
Old 15-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #128
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
In terms of building the cars main materials, sans oils in driveline, they should be pretty similar. Why do you always need to get your back up?
It was a question. Surely we can ask questions without thinking it's some kind of negative thought.

And whilst you are on point, many will take what you said to think that EVs use the same amount of oil across a lifetime. We've seen those comments time and again.

Old 15-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #129
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It was a question. Surely we can ask questions without thinking it's some kind of negative thought.

And whilst you are on point, many will take what you said to think that EVs use the same amount of oil across a lifetime. We've seen those comments time and again.

Never even mentioned anything about how much oil any of those cars use. If you could actually read properly you will see I was solely talking about the plastics etc that require oil to build the cars. Never once mentioned anything else.

Now you are putting words in my mouth. What happened to you man? Always so hostile now. Everything ok?
Old 15-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #130
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Never even mentioned anything about how much oil any of those cars use. If you could actually read properly you will see I was solely talking about the plastics etc that require oil to build the cars. Never once mentioned anything else.

Now you are putting words in my mouth. What happened to you man? Always so hostile now. Everything ok?
Gee, you really are hyperbolic in your responses. You really don't like a discussion, do you? I never said you said any of those things. I said others might misinterpret your post and hence I questioned it to clear it up.

You need a comprehension lesson and something to calm down.

Old 15-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #131
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I think we all accept that the number of parts in the EV will reduce a lot or rather converted to more compact electrical type stuff when compared to ICE. Of course I thought - yeh that makes sense - but never really sunk in until I watched a YouTube video of the water pump being replaced in a Ford 3.5 Eco boost - I think on an F150 - in the US of A of course. They had to lift the cab from the chassis to get access then the amount of "stuff" that was around that motor that had to be removed to get TO the water pump . . . shudder . . . so much stuff. This highlighted a few facts to me. The sheer complex nature of modern ICE vehicles and how in heck we get the reliability today in ICE is simply amazing. We should expect grand things for EV's but I suspect that shortcuts will be taken and a lot of this reliability experience will be lost. Some reviews of EV build processes have shown this to be occurring now. But this also highlights what will happen to the parts suppliers. It is not going to be good. The addressable market will shrink. After the closure of Aus built vehicles they adapted to an import based market but I am not sure how they will adapt to this. Sure, there will be a new EV specific parts market but the number of parts in that market will be the issue. I do not expect any policy by the pollies to consider effects on local industry.
Toiler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #132
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiler View Post
I think we all accept that the number of parts in the EV will reduce a lot or rather converted to more compact electrical type stuff when compared to ICE. Of course I thought - yeh that makes sense - but never really sunk in until I watched a YouTube video of the water pump being replaced in a Ford 3.5 Eco boost - I think on an F150 - in the US of A of course. They had to lift the cab from the chassis to get access then the amount of "stuff" that was around that motor that had to be removed to get TO the water pump . . . shudder . . . so much stuff. This highlighted a few facts to me. The sheer complex nature of modern ICE vehicles and how in heck we get the reliability today in ICE is simply amazing. We should expect grand things for EV's but I suspect that shortcuts will be taken and a lot of this reliability experience will be lost. Some reviews of EV build processes have shown this to be occurring now. But this also highlights what will happen to the parts suppliers. It is not going to be good. The addressable market will shrink. After the closure of Aus built vehicles they adapted to an import based market but I am not sure how they will adapt to this. Sure, there will be a new EV specific parts market but the number of parts in that market will be the issue. I do not expect any policy by the pollies to consider effects on local industry.
EVs are mechanically simple in comparison to a normal ICE car, but they still have cooling systems, braking, steering and suspension components typical of normal cars.

Cost of ownership will be cheaper assuming battery technology makes the generational leap required, might be doing your first service at 120,000km for a coolant change for example.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 11:22 PM   #133
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

12,058 Tealas sold last year. Mostly Model 3's if not only Model 3's. That's a decent number and shuts up the fake news articles that say more RAMs were sold.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/exclus...tate-by-state/