Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #1
Cadge

Default Heat shield or not on extractors

Hey guys

Just bought some pacemaker extractors for the Fairmont. After doing a little bit of research am confused as to if I need to put the heat shield back on over them or not? I've seen people say yes and no - any advice?
Old 25-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
Tiger57

Default Re: Heat shield or not on extractors

When I had the Pacemakers fitted to my XR6 the bloke who fitted them said not to fit a Heatshield. His reasoning was that it would hold to much heat near the extractors and crack the welds. Apparently Pacemaker have that problem and will void the Warranty if a Heatshield is fitted. So far I've done 70.000km with no problems. It even has the Gas Converter mounted about 2 inches away from the Primaries.

Last edited by Tiger57; 25-02-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Tiger57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 02:14 AM   #3
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On my EL XR6. I put on a AU Series heatshield over my Pacemakers

Needed a bit of encouragement and such but fitted them perfectly

As for extracters, if you install them, make sure all intakes snorkel (au xr8), airboxes (two hole mod), airbox to throttle body piping, cat converters (200 cell metallic core) and exhaust are also done as well so there is no bottleneck

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
Cadge

Ah, so not as easy as bolt on and away you go :P

I've already got the exhaust up and the others should be easy enough for me to get sorted. As for my original question, the two different responses is exactly what the rest of the Internet gives me ;P
Old 25-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadge View Post
Ah, so not as easy as bolt on and away you go :P

I've already got the exhaust up and the others should be easy enough for me to get sorted. As for my original question, the two different responses is exactly what the rest of the Internet gives me ;P
You could get them ceramic coated. The Genie's I have were made to fit all the original parts with them (Clevo). Things like choke tubes and hot air riser. The sticker that came with them says "street legal performance".
As for your heat shield, I work on the theory that if Ford spent the money to put it there then it must be serving some purpose. Modifications are not always improvements. The 4 into 1's I had used to toast my toes so bad I had to fit insulation under the carpet.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

For what it's worth I have been running the same set of ceramic coated Pacemaker headers, no heat shield, on my BA for over 6 years/160,000km.... no problems, still going great.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
macxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the EF/EL they used to melt the booster without a shield. I have run them in a AU with no shield and no probs
macxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Header manufacturers will always list lower under bonnet temperatures as one of their benefits. But then you hear about melted boosters and read instructions for eurathane steering couplings that say fit a heat shield if you have extractors. Makes it sound like marketing BS.
Disclaimer: I don't work on anything newer than a Cleveland.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Spurious

Years ago I had an XF with headers, the motor overheated & the overall engine bay temp' caused the accelerator cable to melt!

With that in mind, when I bought my AUII (with pace makers already fitted) I sliced some fuel hose length ways & encapsulated the acel' & kickdown cables, & topped it off by wrapping some cloth heat shield around both.
I have not fitted a factory heat shield to, or above the headers & I confess the engine bay remains a lot cooler than I would expect.

Also make sure the heat shield panel is still fitted to the under side of the bonnet as sometimes it'll cause the paint on top to crack if engine bay temp soars.

Make sure power steer hoses have a few inches clearance, as with any other components, battery positive cable, 02 censor plug/wiring etc. Just as a precaution.

Other than that, you shouldn't have any heat issues. I don't !
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

I have pacemakers on my AU2 xr8 and no heat sheild, It gets hot under the bonnet but nothing has melted. Found these on ebay and been thinking if trying them. What do you think?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2015-New-WR...309?nav=SEARCH
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

Consider this, paint them black with high temp paint. Reason being, black may absorb more radiant heat, however if its hotter then the ambient air it will dissapate heat faster then bare steel or silver. It kind of explains why black cars sitting in the sun get hotter when you jump into them as opposed to a white one, and why a lot of high temp items in race cars etc are black. A heat sheald is effectively a a heat sink. With enough air flow it will remove heat into the air, but without air flow, once it heats up to the temp of the heat source it will be of no help. Dunno how much air flows through the engine bay but its something to scratch your noggin.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Yeah, thats what I was thinking about the air flow. It gets blown away when driving and if stationary the fans kick in any way. Ive never had any issues with overheating or melting parts and the leads are close to the exhaust with heat sheilds so ill just leave it alone I think.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
zdenko
2002 XR6 VCT Owner

I can't believe no one has pointed out the obvious here.

The heat shield is there to reduce the heat radiating up to the heads, air intakes, radiator hoses etc which in turn gives lower combustion temps which benefits efficiency and power.

Manufacturers don't just put them there for fun, if they didn't need to they would save the money.
Have a look at any proper race car(not a backyard job) and they will have heat reflectors or shields as well.
Air Hog Air Filter + 2.5 Inch Sterling Mandrel Bent Exhaust + Supercheap Oval Tip.
Carbon Fibre Style Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Boot
zdenko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #14
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

I put mine on over my lukey extractors. But I did it so no one notices they are there and it appears stock.

Tight fit, but also got the lpg converter mounted there too.
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

Awaiting Wife Approval Mods:

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #15
DjRedcap
2003 BA Egas Noob!

I also just had pacemakers installed on my BA and am a little worried about melting hoses. I did put effort into painting and curing the extractors and cat but since they sit so close to the lpg factory converter makes me cringe. Hoses are tied back and fingers crossed no further issues. (May try to install heat shield, will keep an eye on it!)
DjRedcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would look at putting something there..
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #17
DjRedcap
2003 BA Egas Noob!

Smile Re: Heat shield or not on extractors

Ok, cheers for the heads up mate.

Thinking maybe heat wrap the hoses and extractors... hopefully enough.

Last edited by DjRedcap; 02-12-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #18
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The heat wrap is the worst product to use on a street car., as the wrap cools over night it absorbs moisture and holds it against the pipes making them rust from the outside. best things are ceramic coating (inside and outside the pipes followed by open pipes then a metal shield or barrier about 25mm clear of the pipe. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #19
DjRedcap
2003 BA Egas Noob!

Ah, duely noted. I'll make an attempt to refit the heat shield. I did VHT flameproof and cured the outside just not the inside. Thanks for the help all.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #20
DjRedcap
2003 BA Egas Noob!

Thanks for the previous help all, bit of an update for anyone interested.

I decided on buying some designer engineering titanium dry wrap for the extractors, water hoses and another can of VHT nu cast flame proof for the lpg converter. Maybe a bit of overkill but should solve any heat troubles with pacemaker extractors.

Did go to the effort of cutting, bending and installing old heat shield but in the end just looked ugly so some tidy wrap and curing should help. This coupled with K'N cold air intake and a 20% underdrive harmonic balancer with pulleys, damn, she feels like a new car. Fingers crossed and any opinions please feel free.

Cheers all!

Last edited by DjRedcap; 03-12-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #21
sgj66

Ya can buy stick on heat shield if any spots worry you just stick it onto whatevers close and getting hot. Just not the pipes.
sgj66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
DjRedcap
2003 BA Egas Noob!

Thanks mate,

pretty much what I'm going to do with the dry wrap but thanks for the input, i'll remember that one in future.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:28 AM   #23
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with car builders ti wrap.

I use it on my 4" dump pipe.
Mild steel dump pipe ceramic coated by Ceramic Coat Australia (Pacemaker) inside and out with turbo ex is no where near enough to prevent melting things on a turbo setup.
Turbine is ceramic coated with a beanie on it to and no issues of eating through the coating, yes the moisture stains it but it dosent compromise the coating.

That being said if you have room for ally heat shields with a glass based heat liner with space to create a barrier; this will be far more effective and its the reason OEM does it this way.

Ti wrap is good for tight spaces, no doubt about it.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2021, 12:34 AM   #24
DjRedcap
2003 BA Egas Noob!

Unfortunately its very tight. Factory converter sits about 10cm away from the closest extractor pipe so afraid this will have to do for now. I'll experiment over time. 👍