Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
TEUTE
Starter Motor

Default 220kw engine swap electrical issues/ au series engine looms - are they different?

Hey guys,

So, I have put an AU3 220kw engine into my AU1 ute. I swapped ECU's and have had it tuned and the smartshield bypassed. I used my AU1 engine loom as the one on the 220kw engine was buggered.

Since I swapped engines, I have had intermittent electrical faults.
Gauges on the dash are playing up even though I had it send away and "repaired", (coolant gauge doesn't work at all).
I keep getting a P0350 code, even though the coil packs, leads and plugs are brand new.
All the grounds have been double checked and are good.

After reading a couple of posts it got me thinking. Are the engine looms different between the AU1 and AU3. Is this where my electrical problems are starting from?
TEUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2021, 02:33 AM   #2
SILENT_RAPTOR

Default Re: 220kw engine swap electrical issues/ au series engine looms - are they different?

If you can go back over all of your connectors try that, i had a similar issue and i forgot to tighten down the big square connector that clips to the throttle cable bracket(on back of throttle body, its a 10mm head).

As far as looms go, i used the s3 4ltr loom (car is an SR) that runs from drivers side into the car down to the fuse box, headlights and across, to the passenger's side headlight.

My loom came out of my old s1 xr8 (that was run into by a p plater) that plugs into the connector at the passenger's headlight and back up into the dash(back into ecu).

Now what could be a problem for you is if that Ute is a base model, knowing the xr8's all had the overflow bottle with the level sender in them, most 6's didn't and I'm not 100% sure the wiring is even in the loom to connect it because i never found it when i did mine.

The cluster could also be the issue in regards to if you are using the xr one (which sounds like you are) because the xr cluster wiring is slightly different to base model, you will need to re pin around four odd wires (for the life of me i cant remember which ones they are because i did the job around two years ago now).
TFS 185 heads setup
13.853@100mph
Baby 60-1 t4
11.7@121mph 12psi

Last edited by SILENT_RAPTOR; 22-11-2021 at 02:38 AM. Reason: I'm illiterate.
SILENT_RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post