Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
tbro4123

Default Does Ford Australia allow the use of WDH on Rangers?

Easy question but it seems too hard to get an answer from Ford.

I know that Mazda/Ford stated that to tow with the PJ/K models to get the max weight you must use a WDH to allow the 2500kg Auto/ 3000kg manual.

I've looked in the owners handbook for Rangers PX onwards and can not find anything either for or against.

I don't believe any dealer actually has any knowledge to help me out so I thought I would ask those who work for Ford if they know or can they find out.

Seems someone is spreading that Ford warranty will be voided if WDH is used, and this is from a dealers service dept to avoid a warranty issue.

TIA

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Does Ford Australia allow the use of WDH on Rangers?

I have a recollection that the older laws required a heavier vehicle like a Transit or Landcruiser to tow weights above 2800 kg (?)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

At the end of the day it's the axle weight and the towball downforce that are important. How you achieve that shouldn't matter should it?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #4
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
At the end of the day it's the axle weight and the towball downforce that are important. How you achieve that shouldn't matter should it?
The WDH exerts a considerable rotational force on the tow bar mounts. If not designed for this then damage can result. The genuine Ford Territory heavy duty tow bar had some 44 separate fastening points to cover this.
Toiler is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
Easy question but it seems too hard to get an answer from Ford.

I know that Mazda/Ford stated that to tow with the PJ/K models to get the max weight you must use a WDH to allow the 2500kg Auto/ 3000kg manual.

I've looked in the owners handbook for Rangers PX onwards and can not find anything either for or against.

I don't believe any dealer actually has any knowledge to help me out so I thought I would ask those who work for Ford if they know or can they find out.

Seems someone is spreading that Ford warranty will be voided if WDH is used, and this is from a dealers service dept to avoid a warranty issue.

TIA

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
I cannot speak for late model PX rangers but can certainly say my 2012 XLT model ranger has a label stating not to use a WDH when towing.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 11:51 PM   #6
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I’m pretty sure the sticker on the towbar and the workshop manual both state to only use the hitch provided.
Ford and not be expected to be liable for an untested third party hitch that puts different loads into the towbar and chassis.
It wasn’t a Ranger or even a ford but I have seen these load leveling hitches literally twist the towbar off the car and manufactures reject warranty claims because of it. Go your own way.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
Trevor 57
is now there

I flicked the original fit towbar and fitted a Hayman Reese due to the fact that the Ford towbars won't take a Hayman Reese hitch, for some obscure reason Fod have blocked off the back of the receiver hole
Old 28-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

This may explain to the folk who don't know what WDH means, I had a Hayman Reese originally fitted to my Mazda B50.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...on-systems.htm
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I flicked the original fit towbar and fitted a Hayman Reese due to the fact that the Ford towbars won't take a Hayman Reese hitch, for some obscure reason Fod have blocked off the back of the receiver hole
Being such a short receiver with the ranger towbar is probably why ford prohibits the use of the WDH which makes sense to me, I know of a few ranger owners who's receivers have been flogged out by using longer hitches.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2022, 06:12 AM   #10
Trevor 57
is now there

I had my original Ford towbar replaced under warranty as it was flogged out, then went on to replace it with a HR anyway