Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #6391
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 
Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Ford have some what backed themselves into a corner with the V8 based on the decisions they have gone with in recent years. In my opinion binning the XR8 in 2010 was a bad decision and then canning the GT is another clanger. The whole reason for killing the GT was the added expense of body kits and making the FPV special but they cant expect customers to the stump up north of $55k for a "Premium" model when its not that. It will be a XR spec which is essentially rental car spec. The only way they can charge $50k+ for me is them delivering 2 V8 models like Holden. $45k for an XR8, $55k for XR8+ (GT spec or so). If Ford want to compete with HSV then they should not have closed FPV. Not delivering a sub $50k V8 option will be another mistake in my opinion.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #6392
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Not delivering a sub $50k V8 option will be another mistake in my opinion.
Maybe, maybe not. IIRC, the SSV redline outsells the regular SS by a fair margin, so there's a market for it. It will come down to whether the XR8 gets enough tech to compete with the VF. Holden buyers have been happy with the slower and lower-powered SS for years, so its obvious what the market's priorities are. Sadly, I suspect that once again, Ford are going to try and convince buyers they are wrong to want what they want.....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #6393
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
the G6E looks like a sleek shark ready to attack.
Reminds me more of a catfish. Not liking the look, the mouth is just too big.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #6394
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongt4me View Post
An interesting comment Professor because in hindsight (which is yet to come for this model) all the new shapes of each series could well fall into the category of 'not looking like a Falcon'.

Each model series is different from the previous...XR-T differed from the XK-P, XA-C differed from the XR-T, etc etc...yet we still relish them as being true Falcons.

If the Falcon was to continue past 2016, it was always going to replicate and be part of the 'One Ford' design phase and this model is just that.
To me it was expected to carry a similar design to the Fusion/Mustang/Taurus grills, just as the Ecosport, Fiesta, Focus and Everest do.

I think in time we will look back on this FH and go 'yeah its a Falcon'.
I think you missed my point, and yet backed it up toward the end.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #6395
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Ford already has a "working mans V8" ...... Its called the XR6Turbo. Trumps the SS on everying and it fills the performance sedan at a bargain price segment well!

The XR8 will be a premium price because it will be a premium product.
Unfortunately, as good as it is, being two cylinders shy of an eight will continue to be a deal breaker for a lot of people- you just can't get the soundtrack and throttle response out of an I6T (even though the turbo 6's soundtrack does have its own charm IMO). And these days it only trumps the V8 Holdens in a straight line (and not by much), in every other department it comes in second (based off experience of owning both). Most people seem to be hung up on styling, big whoop- I couldn't care less what it looks like, just give the thing some decent suspension and brakes for the final model and I'll buy one.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #6396
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Ford already has a "working mans V8" ...... Its called the XR6Turbo. Trumps the SS on everying and it fills the performance sedan at a bargain price segment well!

The XR8 will be a premium price because it will be a premium product.
XR6t is SS money ($46k), it may trump the SS in speed (debatable), but it certainly sadly doesn't in spec level that's for sure.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #6397
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Ford have some what backed themselves into a corner with the V8 based on the decisions they have gone with in recent years. In my opinion binning the XR8 in 2010 was a bad decision and then canning the GT is another clanger. The whole reason for killing the GT was the added expense of body kits and making the FPV special but they cant expect customers to the stump up north of $55k for a "Premium" model when its not that. It will be a XR spec which is essentially rental car spec. The only way they can charge $50k+ for me is them delivering 2 V8 models like Holden. $45k for an XR8, $55k for XR8+ (GT spec or so). If Ford want to compete with HSV then they should not have closed FPV. Not delivering a sub $50k V8 option will be another mistake in my opinion.
Ahh slow down mate!!

The first lot of BA XR8s were about 55 kay back in 2003, once you added premium sound and 18 inch wheels.

The new XR8 will be a premium product!

the SS competitor is XR6 T, the SSV competitor is the XR6 T Luxury pack (which will be an option).

Ford have done pretty well to get to where they have with such little money or prospect of income based on less then 2 years production and limited parts supply.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #6398
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
XR6t is SS money ($46k), it may trump the SS in speed (debatable), but it certainly sadly doesn't in spec level that's for sure.

Even if FG2 guise the XR6 T is pretty close to SS, both wear 18's, both have camera / sensors, both have ipod / colour screen. The SS gets dual zone and pretend leather, and ofcourse it can park itself but really there not miles away.

The new XR6T should lift the bar a little and I would reckon will have dual zone, front sensors and a better interior standard.
Old 29-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #6399
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Unfortunately, as good as it is, being two cylinders shy of an eight will continue to be a deal breaker for a lot of people- you just can't get the soundtrack and throttle response out of an I6T (even though the turbo 6's soundtrack does have its own charm IMO). And these days it only trumps the V8 Holdens in a straight line (and not by much), in every other department it comes in second (based off experience of owning both). Most people seem to be hung up on styling, big whoop- I couldn't care less what it looks like, just give the thing some decent suspension and brakes for the final model and I'll buy one.
Only trumps an SS in a straightline? *** the one I drove about a month ago was like driving an XR6 NA with a tune and air filter... it was a gutless pig!

Must have been a bad example but it was no where as lively as the old VE 270, plus it did not sound anywhere near as good as a v8 should under full tilt.
Old 29-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #6400
Bobman
Regulator

I'd love to see a suede option in the XR8 luxury pack, like the FPVs had. Much nicer material IMHO and something even the last new F10 BMW got too.

Chunky steering wheel would be good too, but guess we'll wait and see if any interior surprises reveal themselves in time.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #6401
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
I'd love to see a suede option in the XR8 luxury pack, like the FPVs had. Much nicer material IMHO and something even the last new F10 BMW got too.

Chunky steering wheel would be good too, but guess we'll wait and see if any interior surprises reveal themselves in time.
The best leather option Ford ever had was the BA MKII sports leather? Remember it? It was suede with little bubbles in it. Cars with that still look like new 10 years on!
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #6402
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

XR6T pricing will be interesting as since you were able to get one for an advertised driveaway price under 40k for 18 months or more.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #6403
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
The best leather option Ford ever had was the BA MKII sports leather? Remember it? It was suede with little bubbles in it. Cars with that still look like new 10 years on!
The best steering wheel Ford ever had was the BA GT steering wheel. It looked as good as it felt. So much better than the poxy FG item...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #6404
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Only trumps an SS in a straightline? *** the one I drove about a month ago was like driving an XR6 NA with a tune and air filter... it was a gutless pig!

Must have been a bad example but it was no where as lively as the old VE 270, plus it did not sound anywhere near as good as a v8 should under full tilt.
Yeah they're pretty sensitive to fuel, particularly when they've got a tank mixed with part E85 and part unleaded (dealers seem to love Caltex E85 because they'll run it and it's cheap), they turn into an absolute slug (feels like it loses 50kw) until the flex fuel tune can make up its mind. NA XR6s also feel like they have more torque from rest in general, the big LS needs revs and the XR6T needs boost to build while the NA XR6s are a great thing out of the blocks. Remember Drive ran their VF SS at WSID and it pulled a 13.1, that's a very respectable time.

But yes as a complete car (handling, braking, throttle response, interior etc) it's all over the current XR6Ts.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #6405
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's what my ute has, with matching Breeze stitching. Loved the look of it as soon as I saw it...!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #6406
Guzz226

Quote:
Ahh slow down mate!!

The first lot of BA XR8s were about 55 kay back in 2003, once you added premium sound and 18 inch wheels.

the SS competitor is XR6 T, the SSV competitor is the XR6 T Luxury pack (which will be an option).

Ford have done pretty well to get to where they have with such little money or prospect of income based on less then 2 years production and limited parts supply.
This model XR8 is likely similar spec to the FPV FG GS or thereabouts so mid 50s is probably about right. Ford will be trying to get the most ROI on the limited number of transmissions available for the I6T and V8SC models combined that constrains how many they can build so they have no rush to heavily discount and will wait for all those to pay a premium for the "last ever" - factor in dealer margins too as all Ford Dealers will get the XR8 not just the 30% FPV so those that haven't been able to cash in of v8 sales for a while will now do so.

In short anyone expecting a price in the 40s maybe bitterly disappointed I feel.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #6407
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The best steering wheel Ford ever had was the BA GT steering wheel. It looked as good as it felt. So much better than the poxy FG item...
I think the fg XR wheel is a fantastic thing to use.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #6408
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Had this on my BF XR6t, was a good pack with dual zone climate and premo sound etc...

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #6409
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

If you are truly worried about value for money and think that it should be sub $50K then look at it this way. FG2 GS was not below $50K. If you picked up one of them between $50-55K you were doing well. Now add the 335 motor and Brembo's just for starters that is already value for money. Depending on what suspension package they are running with the value just keeps adding up.

$55K is quite reasonable in the end. If it is around this mark and they keep Vixen then sign me up March next year. It doesn't have to compete with the SS. This car will blow an SS away in performance and looks any day. Ford don't have to worry about volume because there is a limited amount that they can make available. It's no longer about market share with the Falcon. It's about making enough to see through to 2016. Given how good the photo's have been to date, can't really see an issue with that. Get on board.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #6410
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
My BA mk1 turbo with luxury pack had the same....

Seats that were dead comfortable and didn't quit. Actually I had that car the full 4 year leave and it was as unmarked the day i sold it as when i bought it. Interior materials were excellent in general (though i did have the black fascia and FPV wheel on it.)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #6411
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
I think you missed my point, and yet backed it up toward the end.
Mmm..did I? maybe I did.
I got the impression when you said the FG is the last authentic Falcon, that this FH model has lost its DNA, if you will.
What I am saying is that, given time I don't think we would look back and say that it did. I think we would embrace it as the next step in its evolution.
Sure it looks like the "one ford" designs, but then the XA still had similarities to the American LTDs front end, the XD was similar to the Granada yet we still think of them as 'authentic' Falcons...don't we ???

If I've still missed the point...just wait I'll have another Rum!

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #6412
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Ahh slow down mate!!

THIS.
If you look at the XR6 and XR8 images from last week, you can see things like the wing mirror indicators and front park sensors that indicate Ford have moved the XR8's spec to perhaps mirror the G-Series.

Then factor in a hand built V8 using many imported parts (ie not the locally manufactured I6), Brembo Brakes, 19'' Wheels and potentially standard leather it think it deserves to command a price premium.

Just because the XR8 has TRADITIONALY been aligned with other XR models in terms of spec, doesn't mean Ford will do the same for the last model. They have stated it will be the flagship performance model.

Would I rather pay SS money for a XR8.....Yes......but it will be a better car than the SS......certainly better than the still a common crate engine SS-V..... maybe even better than a the HSV product that will cost more.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #6413
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko View Post

$55K is quite reasonable in the end. If it is around this mark and they keep Vixen then sign me up March next year..
For some reason Ford have discontinued Vixen leading up to the last Falcon.
Vixen was on my short list of colours.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #6414
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Yeah, remember it well and loved those seats.

Current Cars:
Previous Cars:
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
Old 29-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #6415
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Yep I have a red EB XR8. Was going to park this next to it.

By the sounds of it not a chance. So will have to grab Smoke.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #6416
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko View Post
Yep I have a red EB XR8. Was going to park this next to it.

By the sounds of it not a chance. So will have to grab Smoke.
That is beautiful !

I want one .... Now please.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #6417
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Next thing they will say that we can't buy a red Mustang. I'll defend Ford to the end, but not offering red in the new range....well...I'm speechless.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #6418
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongt4me View Post
Mmm..did I? maybe I did.
I got the impression when you said the FG is the last authentic Falcon, that this FH model has lost its DNA, if you will.
What I am saying is that, given time I don't think we would look back and say that it did. I think we would embrace it as the next step in its evolution.
Sure it looks like the "one ford" designs, but then the XA still had similarities to the American LTDs front end, the XD was similar to the Granada yet we still think of them as 'authentic' Falcons...don't we ???

If I've still missed the point...just wait I'll have another Rum!
lol.

Yeah but those models weren't being intentionally blended into a new international standard car. To the untrained eye, a non car-person from Australia may well confuse the Taurus or Fusion as being the new Falcon, and it's easy to see why. They're so similar now it's disturbing. XR Falcons for example (XR6/8 that is) have had twin headlight accentuations since the ED XR series. That has been carried on all the way until the current FG2. With 201X, the only sign of this is the XR series DRLs separating the two lamps, the light itself is exactly the same shape as the other models from what i can see. Why? because that's what the global models look like.

I could go on for hours, and quite often do, but to me it is a crossover model and as such yes, has lost some of its DNA. I'll still give it the credit for what it is, i just personally don't consider it to be a true FALCON design when it was obliged to be based on the existing one ford image.
Old 29-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #6419
Bobman
Regulator

I guess it's no different to Holden and their global design. It's not uncommon to confuse a Malibu for a VF Commodore from afar.

As for no 'Vixen', that does suck! Had a quick look at the current colours on offer and most are very plain with only two or three colours that are decent.

Bring back the BA palette!

Current Cars:
Previous Cars:
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
Old 29-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #6420
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah as soon as i saw Malibu for the first time it freaked me out how similar they are especially from the back