Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #151
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The bakery thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
Does it still exist?

Wouldn't have a clue - haven't lived in Sydney since then.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #152
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Following this theme......

As I haven't been to Adders for many years do Balfours still exist and do they still make Kitchener Buns?
Is "Darby pies' still around from Darby st, Newcastle.
Went franchise and started to go downhill.

Might have to start a whatever happened to thread...........

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #153
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Their pies are um...not so good though
Hence why I didnt mention them

I only go for the Cornish pasties
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #154
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Following this theme......

As I haven't been to Adders for many years do Balfours still exist and do they still make Kitchener Buns?
Yes and yes. Despite being so mass produced, I really like the custard tarts. They sell mainly wholesale now to servos and cafes and the like but have a few of their own cafes in shopping centers etc. They make a frog cake unique to SA but its a diabetes risk with every mouthful.

https://balfours.com.au/
Old 22-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #155
leesa

I'm seeing a lot of claims being made but I'm not seeing much evidence. Show your hand, boys!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #156
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I'm seeing a lot of claims being made but I'm not seeing much evidence. Show your hand, boys!

It's actually quite difficult to take a photo of a pie when it's already in your stomach...
Perhaps an after one will do?
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #157
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

For those that live on the north side of Brissy. I can recommend Bazzas Bakehouse at Kallangur, Frenches Forrest and Bray park for a great dogs eye, and no dead horse required.
My Favourite is the curry. Also family size, hard to beat.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #158
prydey
Rob

Bake Bakery @ Coromandel valley.

I mentioned the recommendation by xahh to my daughter and she went for a visit on Sunday. She's a big vanilla slice fan. She rated it. Looks pretty good to me too.

hosting picture
Old 22-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #159
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Bake Bakery @ Coromandel valley.

I mentioned the recommendation by xahh to my daughter and she went for a visit on Sunday. She's a big vanilla slice fan. She rated it. Looks pretty good to me too.

imagehosting picture
Thanks for the feedback!

On another note, the family sized quiches there were the biggest I've ever seen. You can see them in one of my previously posted photos in the fridge.

I'm also a fan of the granny slice which is only available at a few bakeries. Its a vanilla slice but instead of icing on top, just a light dusting of icing sugar instead.
Old 22-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #160
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Have any of you tried Joans Pantry in Coromandel Valley?

Sorry, its not a bakery. I thought it was
Old 22-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #161
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Have any of you tried Joans Pantry in Coromandel Valley?

Sorry, its not a bakery. I thought it was
I'll allow it since its food related and they sell cakes
I tried it with the family about 18 months ago after a recommendation. It was Sunday morning and quite busy so the service and food delivery was extremely slow. Can't recall anything outstanding about the experience though. Maybe wrong day/time?
Old 22-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #162
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I'll allow it since its food related and they sell cakes
I tried it with the family about 18 months ago after a recommendation. It was Sunday morning and quite busy so the service and food delivery was extremely slow. Can't recall anything outstanding about the experience though. Maybe wrong day/time?
I know some of the local rate it, but I went there once and it didnt really inspire also.

I used to go to the Bakery in Blackwood behind Coles and that wasnt bad years ago. Not sure what its like now. I remember they did a pretty tasty Shepherds Pie back in the day.
Old 23-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #163
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Did you all know that it costs $2.50 for a pie in Jamaica but only 1.80 in Cuba?

It's not really important, I'm just letting you all know about the pie rates of the Caribbean.

Bakery humour
Old 23-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #164
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Bourke Street bakery Surry Hills/Barangaroo.. super rich pastries
Fire Station pies Union st Newcastle.... pies pies pies
I was working in the Surry Hills area in the second half of last year and wasn’t aware that bakery was there.

I agree with your recommendation on the pies from the Fire Station pie shop in Cooks Hill / Newcastle. It’s been many years since I last bought one, but they are memorable for a few reasons.

Firstly, they have the highest gravy to meat ratio of any pie I’ve ever eaten. The shop’s heating oven is set at maximum temperature, and the pies are served scalding hot.

If you’re eating the pie out of the paper bag rather than taking it home or whatever, it’s a big mistake to take a large bite first up. If you do you’ll have a sore tongue for the rest of the meal. After taking a small nibble to open it up and vent the heat, you have to hold the pie at least at a 45 degree angle or the contents will pour out. If you’re careful you can get through the rest of the pie over the next 15 minutes without a burned tongue. They’re too hot to eat any faster.

On one occasion I had taken the first nibble and was letting it cool when two small leaks appeared in the pastry around the top, and the piping hot gravy started oozing out like lava from a volcano. After attempting to slurp it up and stop the leaks, turning the pie in my hands caused a small breach in the base, and from there the situation went downhill fast.

Soon the meat and gravy began to flow from the base and the pastry started collapsing like concrete under an uncooled nuclear core. The whole molten mess then hit the paper bag underneath and it was about to go the full China syndrome meltdown and pour off the paper and into my lap. I had to move quickly to the bin and let it go much to the amusement of the other guys I was having lunch with.

Despite that one mishap I recommend their pies. Take a plastic plate and fork just in case.
Old 23-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #165
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Sounds more like you need a straw first, then a fork.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #166
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Trendseeker, yep that's what happened to me at the Fire station, you soon learn the better option is to take it on a cooling ride first. Maybe eating it, admiring the passing whales.
The original Bourke st Bakery is tiny and probably why its hard to spot.

2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #167
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
I was working in the Surry Hills area in the second half of last year and wasn’t aware that bakery was there.

I agree with your recommendation on the pies from the Fire Station pie shop in Cooks Hill / Newcastle. It’s been many years since I last bought one, but they are memorable for a few reasons.

Firstly, they have the highest gravy to meat ratio of any pie I’ve ever eaten. The shop’s heating oven is set at maximum temperature, and the pies are served scalding hot.

If you’re eating the pie out of the paper bag rather than taking it home or whatever, it’s a big mistake to take a large bite first up. If you do you’ll have a sore tongue for the rest of the meal. After taking a small nibble to open it up and vent the heat, you have to hold the pie at least at a 45 degree angle or the contents will pour out. If you’re careful you can get through the rest of the pie over the next 15 minutes without a burned tongue. They’re too hot to eat any faster.

On one occasion I had taken the first nibble and was letting it cool when two small leaks appeared in the pastry around the top, and the piping hot gravy started oozing out like lava from a volcano. After attempting to slurp it up and stop the leaks, turning the pie in my hands caused a small breach in the base, and from there the situation went downhill fast.

Soon the meat and gravy began to flow from the base and the pastry started collapsing like concrete under an uncooled nuclear core. The whole molten mess then hit the paper bag underneath and it was about to go the full China syndrome meltdown and pour off the paper and into my lap. I had to move quickly to the bin and let it go much to the amusement of the other guys I was having lunch with.

Despite that one mishap I recommend their pies. Take a plastic plate and fork just in case.
Reminds me of this
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/wil...is-mouth-82919
Old 24-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #168
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Parker's.....Sorry no pie pics, I had to get vital supplies from over the road.

2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #169
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post

Yeah bakeries have been making party pies just like that for about 50 years that I can remember!cool on the outside and somewhere around 1000 deg celsius inside.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #170
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I reckon I was buying bacon and cheese pull apart bread from bakeries long before bakers delight started

Probably were. I was pointing him in the direction of a place where he can get some.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #171
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

https://flourandstone.com.au/

This place is legit and reassuringly expensive
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #172
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

There's no substitute for hand made breads. I've made it several times over the years and the taste is much nicer than the mass produced varieties. Having said that, I've never experienced this kind of popularity.

https://youtu.be/SU-CPkKw5lY

What's everyone's favorite bread?
Old 27-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #173
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
There's no substitute for hand made breads. I've made it several times over the years and the taste is much nicer than the mass produced varieties. Having said that, I've never experienced this kind of popularity.

https://youtu.be/SU-CPkKw5lY

What's everyone's favorite bread?
Pumpkin bread. Particularly with scrambled eggs.

2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #174
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How wide is the scope, and can it be made from a dry mix? If you allow these aspects, most Indian breads hot off the stove are scrumptious!

Unrelated, sometimes when buying challah I’d count the number on the shelf and if it was an even number I’d just buy one instead of the mandated pair.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #175
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Exclamation Re: The bakery thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How wide is the scope, and can it be made from a dry mix? If you allow these aspects, most Indian breads hot off the stove are scrumptious!

Unrelated, sometimes when buying challah I’d count the number on the shelf and if it was an even number I’d just buy one instead of the mandated pair.
Any breads, no restrictions. It would be great to cover the whole spectrum.
Old 27-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #176
leesa

toasted sultana bread with butter please and thankyou
4 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #177
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

How hard is it to buy “sultana bread” now? Or “fruit bread” with sultanas and mixed peel?

We became Americanised and it morphed into “raisin bread”.

I see leesa is a butter fan also. Cultured unsalted is my preference.
Old 27-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #178
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
How hard is it to buy “sultana bread” now? Or “fruit bread” with sultanas and mixed peel?

We became Americanised and it morphed into “raisin bread”.

Only proper Western Star Butter made in Cobden, Victoria.

There was a cafe in the Strand Arcade (Sydney) that made and sold fruit Turkish bread.
beautiful, toasted with real butter.

2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #179
leesa

Quote:
yup, mainland buttersoft. just cream and salt, no other additives and from grassfed cows
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #180
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Only proper Western Star Butter made in Cobden, Victoria.
.......And Kiwi owned!

Also... Don’t forget to cut the star out of the wrapper and send to “Uncle Norman’s Western Star Club, C/o; GTV9
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: