Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default cars ....New Zealand v Australia

many moons ago NZ gov stopped supporting vehicle assembly and then sold licences to one and all for importing late model low milage Japanese vehicles. more strange units than we ever see in Aus. Now you can import from Asia & Europe so Audi, Mercs and Bimmers are in abundance.

My bro this weekend purchased a 2009 Totoya Landcruiser, V8, 105k on the clock, immaculate condition, $22,000 I would have thought a flamin good price but I don't follow Landcruisers.

When will we ever see the likes here? if not why not? who the hell in power is getting their pockets lined to keep used prices high.
Old 20-02-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: cars ....New Zealand v Australia

So they’ve moved on from Standard Vanguard utes?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2023, 07:17 PM   #3
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have it on good authority that when stat write off requirements were updated, these vehicles often end up in NZ when the write off is due flooding.

I think the requirement is anything over the door sill !
i.e. as a write off in Australia by law, only applies in Australia, a lot of "flood" vehicles (Landcruiser's were specifically mentioned) end up in UnZed..
I'm also told that Tasmania are not hooked into the national system (yet)

Lobbying will ensure that, despite the fact we have no real vehicle manufacturing left, we'll never likely see the low km japanese vehicles, they see over the ditch which is a real shame, they're a terrific value proposition.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
many moons ago NZ gov stopped supporting vehicle assembly and then sold licences to one and all for importing late model low milage Japanese vehicles. more strange units than we ever see in Aus. Now you can import from Asia & Europe so Audi, Mercs and Bimmers are in abundance.

My bro this weekend purchased a 2009 Totoya Landcruiser, V8, 105k on the clock, immaculate condition, $22,000 I would have thought a flamin good price but I don't follow Landcruisers.

When will we ever see the likes here? if not why not? who the hell in power is getting their pockets lined to keep used prices high.
The automotive industry has been protesting legislation changes to make it easier to get grey imports into our market - there has been significant changes and updates but its still hobbled to protect the status quo as per usual.

Quote:
Proposed Changes to Import Legislation: A Turd Rolled in Glitter

There is plenty of stuff not mentioned.

Will the pre-1989 rule become a 25 year rule? No idea. Will variants of cars sold in Australia be eligible? Not sure. Will cars be allowed in if the manufacturer doesn’t sell a model in the same vehicle category? Don’t know. As is often the case, legislation is broad. It’s the structure on which the building (the regulations) is built. But with so many pieces of the puzzle still not in place, it’s not hard to understand why many are nervous about what the future holds for the industry.

The Personal New Import Scheme is dead and buried.

This is a backflip so impressive that Olympic gymnasts would even give the ‘not-bad.jpg’ face. The Harper Review recommended it. The Productivity Commission review recommended it. A cost-benefit analysis commissioned by the Department of Infrastructure even showed data that Australians would save between $850m and $1.1b over the next ten years if it was introduced. Paul Fletcher announced that it was coming at the start of 2016. And yet PeNIS (as I have called it ever since it was first announced) has now been shot down in flames.

Why? In short, politics and vested interests. The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (representing overseas manufacturers now that there are no local manufacturers to defend), and the Australian Automotive Dealers Association (representing the new car dealers) waged a long, hard campaign against PeNIS so that they could protect their sandpit and continue extorting Aussie car buyers without external market forces pushing their retail prices down. A couple of politicians were so nervous about losing votes that they were prepared to cross the floor and vote against their own party to block it.

The scheme was a classic case of ‘death by a thousand cuts’. By the time it had been pared back, it was virtually unworkable, and its demise came as no surprise to those on our side. More on this one in a separate article later.
https://www.ironchefimports.com/2017...ed-in-glitter/

There's an hour and 30 minute video on the new legislation introduced 2019 from the perspective of an importer:

https://www.facebook.com/ironchefimp...40685432945736

It should go further IMO - we have no light vehicle manufacturing industry left anymore and they still have ADRs in place from yonks ago to protect an industry which no longer exists.

We should just simplify the bull**** red tape and **** off the ADRs I reckon - accept any automotive standards in first world countries with automotive manufacturing industries.

South Korea, Japan, Europe, US, et al - if its good enough for their local markets then its sure as **** good enough for Australia, no need for ADRs anymore.

It would give us a greater range of vehicles to choose from as well as they don't have to design a car specifically for Australian market to meet our unique ADRs for our tiny market.

Between Australia/NZ we're a RHD market on the *** end of the world with only 30 million people between us, so why would you bother specifically designing a vehicle that must meet our unique design rules? The only thing they'd bother with is Thailand Specials and high volume SUVs.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-02-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been calling for the abolition of ADR's for a long time...as you said if a vehicle meets US/Japan/EU regs then its good enough for here unless there is something so dangerously unique we would all wipe ourselves off the roads without it...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2023, 07:56 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I've been calling for the abolition of ADR's for a long time...as you said if a vehicle meets US/Japan/EU regs then its good enough for here unless there is something so dangerously unique we would all wipe ourselves off the roads without it...
Its a protection racket without a racket to protect - it all died in 2017, at least specifically talking about light vehicle manufacturing anyway.

The ADRs should have gone with Holden out the door.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2023, 08:05 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
mostly gone unfortunately, although there was an AP5 Valiant around the corner that looked like its was just out of showroom.
Old 20-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Didn't they move on to MkIII Zephyr's ?
Old 20-02-2023, 08:54 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that they did. I have owned a Mk1 & Mk2 Zepher convertible, For the Mk2 I had to sell Mini Cooper S, 2 cameras and mortgaged my body to buy it. Along with leopard skin pattern rugs and possum tail from the ariel.
I was a wild one. What Id give for them today.
Old 20-02-2023, 09:51 PM   #10
Swordie

I wonder what would be popular to bring in if the red tape was reduced. There's still the cost to bring here, government taxes and exchange rates. If something goes wrong is there a part and how much it costs to fix.

When I was visiting NZ years ago. I was talking to a guy who purchased an imported Gallant Turbo (the predecessor to the Lancer). He had to replace an exhaust manifold. The cost for the part was more than the car. He needed to source the part from Japan.

The 1990s and 2000s seemed like a golden era for importing cars. There were cars such as Skyline, Silvia, Soarer and the Supra.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 11:02 PM   #11
stock1991
Limited supply

I remember back in the 2000's NZ got nice Jap cars we never saw in Australia
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 11:24 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've had stat write-off vehicles at work end up in the middle east, Africa and even Mongolia.
Never seen any turn up in NZ.
(our vehicles have trackers) unless it's because NZ's mobile coverage is worse than Mongolia
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 08:50 AM   #13
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here are 168 pages of toyotas with "damage" exported to NZ (113 Land cruisers with water damage) compiled by NZ gov to protect the buyer if they do their due dilligence from sources such as ppsr etc:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/ch...in=&start=3340

And the "guidelines" for SA

https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/...e-Register.pdf

Last edited by 383hq; 21-02-2023 at 08:55 AM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Our crap roads.....Imported Euro type single rear wheeled motorhomes on Aussie roads. Blow a rear tyre and over you go.

When we are talking about GVM / GCM, gas, AUX battery banks, water and sewerage tanks, weight distribution, I'm all for ADR in the RV world.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

off topic but, crap roads are not unique to Aus, not hard to find the same complaints in NZ, USA, UK .
what can we learn from that?
Old 21-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #16
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post

Your brother did well,just waded through the many landcruisers listed on Trademe and closest to his i could find was a 2008 done 186k for $58000 or a 2009 done 339k for $46000.
Old 21-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #17
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
I remember back in the 2000's NZ got nice Jap cars we never saw in Australia
Was working for Cable Price Toyota when the imports first started arriving in big numbers,people made fortunes replacing all the f#cked cv joints and fixing the aircon which in most cars didnt work,speedo numbers were up n down like a whores drawers but people bought the things in big numbers,crazy times.
Old 21-02-2023, 10:16 AM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Your brother did well,just waded through the many landcruisers listed on Trademe and closest to his i could find was a 2008 done 186k for $58000 or a 2009 done 339k for $46000.
Ah, the trick was his being a “Totoya”. Chinese knockoff, I’d say. Like Mike shoes, the Dolce&Banana fashion label and Nokla phones.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 10:46 AM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Our crap roads.....Imported Euro type single rear wheeled motorhomes on Aussie roads. Blow a rear tyre and over you go.

When we are talking about GVM / GCM, gas, AUX battery banks, water and sewerage tanks, weight distribution, I'm all for ADR in the RV world.
Experience.
100%
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 04:50 PM   #20
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Theres one on Market place if you're that way inclined..... a mere $10k.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #21
HIPO
Al

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8740452343558/
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post