Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
extrajuicy
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo 97 gear Box Problem

Hi - the 2nd and 4th gears have gone in my Ford moneo 97.. Do I need to replace the entire transmission? Is this a common fault.\
Thanks

extrajuicy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
XW_GS
Paulie

sister in law had issues with her tranny also, it began jerking when it warmed up,it was some sort of sensor..
if you are lucky it may be an adjustment, but hope to god your tranny isnt stuffed as they are quite fragile, also very very expensive, she paid something like 4 - 4 and a half thousand

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
sandgroper
Starter Motor

Default Engine jerking like a kanga

Hi All, new member from WA here,just read about the sensor may be causing jerking in the engine,I have just bought a 1995 mondeo hatch with an auto box,it has a really bad shudder even when it warms up,the mechanic said it was an airflow sensor not working,had a look at a British Mondeo site & they seemed to think it was a vacuum hose under the coil packs thats a common problem with these cars.Has anyone heard of this before???any help would be useful,The car goes to the mechanic tomorrow to get the problem looked at,I will let you know how it goes and how much my wallet gets emptied!!!
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrajuicy
Hi - the 2nd and 4th gears have gone in my Ford moneo 97.. Do I need to replace the entire transmission? Is this a common fault.\
Thanks
If it does turn out be needing a new transmission, with the price of the HC mondeo's these days it would be better to just sell the car on something like ebay as a non running car, get what you can for it, and look around for another modeo of the same year/series, if you particularly want that series mondeo again. That's the main reason I bought my HC series mondeo, for 3-4k you can get a great little car for the money you spend. Just need to ensure its been well looked after, as most HC series mondeo's I find are getting close to the 200,000km mark, and you dont want to go for something that's half shot. Look out for a manual glx variant, it comes with cruise which the lx doesn't have. Whilst the clutch can be tricky to repalce in the manuals, they're a lot cheaper to repalce than an auto box. I've had my HC series glx now for just on six months, have driven from Brisbane to Port Douglas and back in it, as well as general Brisbane suburban driving, and it hasn't missed a beat. Have also fitted a blaupunkt sat nav system in it, as well as a decent sound system, and there's nothing more I could need in a car really.

Anyway, let us know what the problem ends up being.

Last edited by Simon_Koala; 05-09-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Simon_Koala is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
sandgroper
Starter Motor

Default engine probs fixed

Hi all again,Had the mondeo looked at today,mechanic charged me for 3 hrs labour to locate the problem,went thru vacuum hoses,air sensors and all,turned out to be the ignition leads were shot.I now have a sweet running car and am $250 poorer!!!!The mondeo that I bought has got 172000km on it and the last owner drove it with a broken water pump,which in the end they had to replace the engine,Which means I scored a car with a rebuilt engine with 71000km on it ,alll for $3500.It is a glx auto with alloys and all electrics but no cruise control.I had a full service done on the transmission when I bought it and the verdict was that it was fine,hope it stays that way!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

good news, well done sandgroper. $250 is a lot of cash for leads though, but at least the cars fixed.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgroper
Hi all again,Had the mondeo looked at today,mechanic charged me for 3 hrs labour to locate the problem,went thru vacuum hoses,air sensors and all,turned out to be the ignition leads were shot.I now have a sweet running car and am $250 poorer!!!!The mondeo that I bought has got 172000km on it and the last owner drove it with a broken water pump,which in the end they had to replace the engine,Which means I scored a car with a rebuilt engine with 71000km on it ,alll for $3500.It is a glx auto with alloys and all electrics but no cruise control.I had a full service done on the transmission when I bought it and the verdict was that it was fine,hope it stays that way!!!
I thought all glx's had cruise as standard ??? It doesn't have the control buttons on either side of the steering wheel ?

Interestingly, re mine, the previous owner had also replaced the engine, although unsure as to why, I'd always assumed it was because the timing belt had snapped and wrecked the engine, but maybe the water pump issue is a common problem with this model and the same thing happened to them. But anyway, enjoy yours, be it auto or manual its still a great car ....
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
sandgroper
Starter Motor

Default no buttons

I thought the cruise control may have been an option when the cars were new,but mine has no buttons around the steering wheel for the cruise.You're right that they are a good car ,I had a 94 honda accord before and the mondeo is more comfortable and quiter on the highway!!!