Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #61
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Chinese cars make record sales in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Bloody ridiculous. Have you not heard of protests Chinese people have held, Do you not know history at all? Plenty of Chinese born people here and elsewhere in Asia want nothing to do with the CCP, that's why they (or their ancestors) moved out of China.

The way you write you would suggest chinese prisons are empty because everyone follows the party line, no one ever emigrated - except to be a spy - not for excape.
Learn a bit of history and the protests in 1976 - 1979. The democracy wall, the people jailed. Tiannanmen Sq, Hong Kong (not just recent but 2014 too)

Opinions like yours are what often led to their persecution in Australia in our history as well, even pre CCP. EG "All chinese are like this..."

Not to mention simple minded people calling all asians "chinese" and treating asians all the same.
BossXR8 is correct, they’re brainwashed from birth 👎
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #62
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I remember the term JAPCRAP used a lot when I was a kid. The Koreans and the Chinese are lucky as I don't believe KORCRAP or CHINCRAP will ever be used.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #63
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all, hope you are having a good holiday and enjoyed Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I should have bought a VN/VP SS or the R34 Skyline I was looking at

1990s JDM is drug money now
Yes, you should have. If the JDM is now drug money, you will have to go get the SS. Also, go original, I know you love to improve them Franco (and have the skills), but the original ones appreciate better. 90's price appreciation is the sweetest of the lot. It's extra ripe. Btw, saw a nice VS Statesman today, part of the huge migration down to the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel
I noticed you've talked about this before and had that video linked. That woman at the end had that attitude of "kids aren't buying the cheap cars because they feel entitled". Kind of like the real estate agent that blames low numbers of recent gens buying a house on spending their money on avo toast!

Not many young people buy new cars, historically only ones with upper middle class or higher parents that either subsidized it, bought them outright, or got their kids into a good paying job ever bought a new car - even a cheap one.
Most normal younger people spent under $5k and bought s/h.
I don't know any young person who got a new car, I've only seen the rich person buying their kid a BMW or merc for graduation in hollywood movies. Realistically the person who bought a new car was statring a proper well paid career -A full time career with prospects, not a casual gig - were in their mid to late 20s, and a house -not local but far away in a far flung new outer suburb that was worth moving to - cost under $200k.
All that opportunity (career in a secure full time job and affordable housing) has disappeared along with the cheap first new car buyer market.

These days it's even worse, maybe many kids deciding to do without due to draconian laws making it harder to get a licence, making it less useful to even have one (curfews on passengers), harder to keep it (extended P plate time with higher fines and penalties). I know if the cops could impound my car I'd rather be driving a sh!tbox than a new car I paid 20k+ for.

On top of that higher rents or if they are ambitious doing without a car in order to save for a house deposit. Or they live at home longer in an older suburb close to public transport unlike back when young people moved out at 18y/o to the sticks and needed a cheap car.
All that plus if you like playing on your phone like younger people do then PT suits better and the worse place to do it is in your car. But you'd had to have a real pressing interest in cars to put the phone down and many younger people are more interested in social media than spark plugs.

Everyone wants their captive market: manufacturers, gov coffers/looking like doing something (100hr L plates, 3 year probation, higher penalties for P platers, curfews). But eventually a target market switches off and don't want any of that. Houses and rent are too expensive to spend money on a car the gov is only going to penalise you for E: Not to mention insurance rates. If you spend 20K on a new car these days i hope you are willing to pay $5k a year insurance. - Nah, save the fines, save the car loan, save the insurance costs and save up for a house.

I'm not blaming this on manufacturers, they have to price something that as you said, hooks new customers but doesn't lose money. It's not their fault - they removed cheap cars because no one was buying anyway. Due to all the other crap they've removed 'first car ever' to concentrate on 30s and older market ie 'first new family car ever because we're having a baby and need a suv'
Really good post and I'd say true for our kids and their friends. Where did Australia's cheap, quality life go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
I'm certainly not from 'upper middle class' or 'rich', I just landed a job at 15 and managed to save up a ****load by the time I was 17

I don't think it's that uncommon to see young kids/adults getting around in nice cars around Melbourne.

Maybe it's on the hook for finance, maybe they're just doing what I did, or as you say have parents with some money behind them.

Maybe younger millennials (millennials at their oldest are nearly 40) and Gen Z prefer to travel rather than spend money on expensive things like cars (pre COVID shenanigans), they go to universities and rent in the inner suburbs close to public transport to get to and from school.

I'm noticing a trend from the younger employees where I work, the professional ones in the office won't consider work that's not located near public transport or that's in outer metropolitan suburbs due to requiring cars.

Same with where they live, they're choosing to live in inner suburbia or the CBD and won't consider outside of a 10KM radius of the CBD.

It would be interesting to compare the spending habits of regional millennials and Gen Z compared to their metropolitan counterparts.

I suspect the ones staying out regional will have cars and nicer ones than their metropolitan counterparts.

Asking our resident millennials or Gen Z here (do we even have Gen Z members?) probably would return skewed results, we're on a car enthusiast forum.

Our resident Boomers and Gen X, be interesting to see what your (non car enthusiast) kids think
Resident X here describing regional Gen Z kids thoughts: eldest hasn't got a licence yet, sees cars as a massive waste of money. Type 1 also hindered, and when added to all the cost bullsh.. so licence wasn't got. The amount of lifts bribed off friends, siblings, and parents over the last few years has been phenomenal - you really do need a car if you want to be independent out here. Uni sucked in winter as it was a connecting bus trip and sometimes eldest would just walk a suburb as that was easier. Not fun.

A move to another city and finishing uni is on the cards, so a licence is a 2021 goal. Wants manual, like youngest got. So I will service the ED and manual V8 it will be for Ls, and that should be fun. I like how they both have been adamant they will learn a manual. Eldest is not a city fan (neither are tbh) - regards Melbourne as the 7th level of hell. Is happy to spend big on interests, which cars aren't. Not even electric or connectivity can create an interest in cars. Saved and spent big on Euro travel, rued missing a snow season and copping a summer heatwave there, is determined to spend next spare money purely on snowboarding. If eldest gets a car, they are open to something reliable and is prepared for extra fuel cost to forego expensive repairs. As eldest loves memes, I suggested an AU, the most meme-able vehicle in the universe. (Partly a joke: I'd want as recent crash protection as possible for them)

Youngest got manual licence, then got an auto FG XR6 with lux pack interior. It's a seriously nice car. Immediately, 30-something women in professional atire were eyeing youngest off. Friend group got a variety of cars, and after their transmissions died (Cruze, Mazda 6) or they rolled it (Hilux) or their engines broke down (Alfa!) or they crashed it (Commodore ute) - the friends gravitated to FGs. One friend bought a new Suby, and remarked that the interior of youngest's FG was on par with the new car. Youngest's thoughts on the car: likes it and likes the freedom it gives to hang out, get to work, go to parties, sleep over (in it at times - comfy back seat), take surfboards, take snowboards, travel up to snow. Costs are high, but this is seen as being Australia. The bus just wouldn't be an alternative at all. My advice was to buy one very good car in good condition with what you need/like, don't modify it and keep it well until needs change (ie family, or a ute for a trade) - rather than swapping them round and fixing them up often. Youngest thinks the FG will hold its value and eventually go up, and it already has during corona and with Aussie cars no longer being produced.
Old 29-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #64
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because its recognising the difference and acknowledging the issues and problems are being caused by their government (who they don't have a choice in) rather than Chinese people.

The 'average' Chinese person or person of Chinese heritage in Melbourne or Sydney has nothing to do with whats going on with their government back home.

Wrongly targeting these innocent people is a massive own goal and a victory for the CCP - they WANT you to start acting out against our Chinese community in Australia.

Its absolutely ridiculous and ironic that its me who is explaining this concept given I'm probably the least tolerant Millennial (and most typecast as a 'racist') to the short sighted monoculturalism (we're not a 'multicultural' society like thats advertised, see 'ethnic ghetto') that's plagued Melbourne for the past 80+ years and yet I can see what the CCP is trying to achieve here.
Pfft!
What are you on about???

As I said, if an Australian chooses to be identified as Chinese, then **** them too. That's a not a characterisation I make, it's their choice.

As for making a distinction between China, its people, and its rulers, again WTF are you on about???
My house has walls, a roof, and many other components. We all understand that, but I can still refer to them all collectively as "my house."

Obviously anyone with half a brain can make a distinction between an individual and their country. So what?
Do think they're only penalising the Australian farmers who are ****s? But hey we won't tax the Barley grown by Fred cos he's a Good bloke??

Nah, **** the Chinese, and **** the pos Great Wally ute they road in on.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Pfft!
What are you on about???

As I said, if an Australian chooses to be identified as Chinese, then **** them too. That's a not a characterisation I make, it's their choice.

As for making a distinction between China, its people, and its rulers, again WTF are you on about???
My house has walls, a roof, and many other components. We all understand that, but I can still refer to them all collectively as "my house."

Obviously anyone with half a brain can make a distinction between an individual and their country. So what?
Do think they're only penalising the Australian farmers who are ****s? But hey we won't tax the Barley grown by Fred cos he's a Good bloke??

Nah, **** the Chinese, and **** the pos Great Wally ute they road in on.
You don't get it, you're not picking up what I'm putting down, nor do you have the capability to understand what I'm saying and that's ok Grand Wizard Dazz
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Bloody ridiculous. Have you not heard of protests Chinese people have held, Do you not know history at all? Plenty of Chinese born people here and elsewhere in Asia want nothing to do with the CCP, that's why they (or their ancestors) moved out of China.

The way you write you would suggest chinese prisons are empty because everyone follows the party line, no one ever emigrated - except to be a spy - not for excape.
Learn a bit of history and the protests in 1976 - 1979. The democracy wall, the people jailed. Tiannanmen Sq, Hong Kong (not just recent but 2014 too)

Opinions like yours are what often led to their persecution in Australia in our history as well, even pre CCP. EG "All chinese are like this..."

Not to mention simple minded people calling all asians "chinese" and treating asians all the same.
Did you miss the part where i said if they don’t agree and speak out, they don’t last long?

Dissenters get dealt with. So follow the line like a good little sheep. Your social credit score has been added to you good little brainwashed sheep. Your ccp masters praise you for being like 99.99% of them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You don't get it, you're not picking up what I'm putting down, nor do you have the capability to understand what I'm saying and that's ok Grand Wizard Dazz
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-australia-54595120

Quote:
But experts say the security dangers are complex and should not be solely focused on Chinese-Australians.

"The greater risks to Australian sovereignty and independent decision-making come not from Chinese-Australian communities, but from people involved in or influencing politics, business and research," said Michael Shoebridge, a security expert at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (Aspi). "This is where Beijing is focusing attention to silence critics and cultivate advocates."

But Ms Jiang and others fear that Australia - especially its media - often wrongly conflate the ordinary Chinese-Australian community with alleged nefarious interference by China.

"The focus should be on actions… instead of guilt by association," she told the Senate inquiry.
If I chased away what I determined to be African kid from our work car park because profiling them as Sudanese and thought they were scoping out our cars, I'd make the news.

Have to be careful about influencing people with incorrect assumptions particularly on behalf of the media, they have significant power to shape public opinion - I enjoy dabbling in creating fake news and crafting narratives here and there and people who are unaware or don't look into things a little deeper fall for it hook line and sucker.

Doing it online with a limited audience is one thing, the media doing it that influences public opinion on a national scale in this particular context will cause issues like racial profiling, like what has already happened in here, in this thread, or even lay the groundwork for an event like the Cronulla riots.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-01-2021 at 01:06 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #68
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-australia-54595120
or even lay the groundwork for an event like the Cronulla riots.
The Cronulla riots was a complete media sideline, what actually happened wasn't racial motivated originally.
It started out as a few surfers and beachgoers teaching a bunch of guys hanging around not to hassle girls on the beach/boardwalk.

The locals got sick of this happening every weekend. I'm sure it would have happened to any gang doing the same thing no matter what race they were.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 10:36 PM   #69
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I was wondering what took them so long? I wonder how many unique parts for other manufacturers does China make? Must be in the hundreds of thousands?!?

How long did it take someone to say? Hang on, we are making all these parts - lets learn from all the RD others have done and adapt it for our own cars!

The MG3 is the modern day bubble Hyundai Excel - not because it was cheap and cheerful, but because it got people into a NEW car for the first time that wasn't a tiny city run about.

I bet they are still making money on those at $16.5k DA as well.

I do see a lot of them around actually - and they appear to be well optioned, even for the base model, and not bad to look at as well.

Another thing to add - I wonder if this has pumped some fresh, younger blood into the car clubs?

I'm a member of the Fiat club and there is a ton of the modern day models on the register. Did that happen with Citroen and Renault etc when became popular again here?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I was wondering what took them so long? I wonder how many unique parts for other manufacturers does China make? Must be in the hundreds of thousands?!?

How long did it take someone to say? Hang on, we are making all these parts - lets learn from all the RD others have done and adapt it for our own cars!

The MG3 is the modern day bubble Hyundai Excel - not because it was cheap and cheerful, but because it got people into a NEW car for the first time that wasn't a tiny city run about.

I bet they are still making money on those at $16.5k DA as well.

I do see a lot of them around actually - and they appear to be well optioned, even for the base model, and not bad to look at as well.

Another thing to add - I wonder if this has pumped some fresh, younger blood into the car clubs?

I'm a member of the Fiat club and there is a ton of the modern day models on the register. Did that happen with Citroen and Renault etc when became popular again here?
They don’t learn, they steal. Speaking to engineers i know, they are just flatout blatant trying to steal info and data they aren’t entitled to have. They aren’t even ashamed to do it, cause it’s regarded as normal business practice over there.

The ccp requiring non-chinese manufacturers to have a chinese joint venture partner, before they were allowed to do business in china, was just a government mandated way to steal ip and knowledge to build the chinese business’s.

I think they have just changed that rule within the last year or so though. Probably because the parasites have already stolen all they needed to establish themselves.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #71
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They don’t learn, they steal. Speaking to engineers i know, they are just flatout blatant trying to steal info and data they aren’t entitled to have. They aren’t even ashamed to do it, cause it’s regarded as normal business practice over there.

The ccp requiring non-chinese manufacturers to have a chinese joint venture partner, before they were allowed to do business in china, was just a government mandated way to steal ip and knowledge to build the chinese business’s.

I think they have just changed that rule within the last year or so though. Probably because the parasites have already stolen all they needed to establish themselves.
true,
but how do you think the mighty USA developed nuclear weapons/rocket tech circa WW2 ?
It wasn't through "learning"

Did you know a Trump was tasked with "sourcing" technology via the "alien property office".

Regarding Cars, Chinese cars will eventually be fine, just like the Koreans before them, and the Japanese before the Koreans.

Plenty of people now actually prefer Japanese cars even though it was the Japanese that invaded Australia.

The Japanese Bombed Darwin, and had Bondi residents fleeing to Blue mountains, selling their beachside properties very cheap due fear of invasion after a sub or two turned up. We won't talk about the unspeakable acts of cruelty on Nurses/POW

What have the Chinese done to you? bought iron ore at top prices and stopped buying wine and crayfish.

As with the Japanese, attitude to Chinese will change, most likely once the media/political reporting subsides.

As I type on my Asian / Chinese built computer/phone I realise that one day I will have to replace the mighty Falcon. It won't be replaced with an Australian car, For many reasons, this country is unable to provide/grow a car making business.

Last edited by 383hq; 04-01-2021 at 08:46 AM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #72
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
The Japanese Bombed Darwin, and had Bondi residents fleeing to Blue mountains, selling their beachside properties very cheap due fear of invasion after a sub or two turned up. We won't talk about the unspeakable acts of cruelty on Nurses/POW

What have the Chinese done? bought iron ore at top prices and stopped buying wine and crayfish.
A few residents of Tibet might debate that point.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #73
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
A few residents of Tibet might debate that point.

Dr Terry
As might any Aboriginal or Maori

To the victor goes the spoils
Old 04-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #74
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
true,
but how do you think the mighty USA developed nuclear weapons/rocket tech circa WW2 ?
It wasn't through "learning"

Did you know a Trump was tasked with "sourcing" technology via the "alien property office".

Regarding Cars, Chinese cars will eventually be fine, just like the Koreans before them, and the Japanese before the Koreans.

Plenty of people now actually prefer Japanese cars even though it was the Japanese that invaded Australia.

What have the Chinese done to you? bought iron ore at top prices and stopped buying wine and crayfish.

As with the Japanese, attitude to Chinese will change, most likely once the media/political reporting subsides.

As I type on my Asian / Chinese built computer/phone I realise that one day I will have to replace the mighty Falcon. It won't be replaced with an Australian car, For many reasons, this country is unable to provide/grow a car making business.
German nuclear scientists mostly defected, and brought the knowledge with them.

I see your point about the japanese, but by the stage their products started hitting our shores they were a different country, completely pacified after wwII.

The chinese are just getting more blatant, dodgy and throwing their weight around bullying others. Not even comparable to what the japanese became. They are deceptive, unwilling to admit fault and are infiltrating foreign institutions, nations and governments to spy, steal and influence. While controlling their citizens, executing dissidents, enslaving certain religious groups, and forcing nations that are supposed to be autonomous like hk into their control, and threatening to invade and take control of taiwan. Who they see as theirs. They are the enemy of freedom and democracy.

The world needs to move away from china before it’s too late.
9 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #75
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Well, I never bought an Auto FGX (was going to upgrade our G6E back in 2016) because the gearbox was Chinese made. We got the Sprint because they were still the Euro box.

People just don't research and sadly, unlike America, there is no culture of Pride to buy Australian. The Camry had more local components than the Commodore since VE (52% just allowing it to be called Australian Made).

I'd never buy one but sadly, people who can't afford anything else will just be happy to have a car that's within their price budget. Govt should slug Chinese cars with a 30% tax or something like that but unfortunately, we need China more than China needs us. We have almost zero manufacturing.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #76
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yep, don't even make nails here anymore.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #77
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did you miss the part where i said if they don’t agree and speak out, they don’t last long?

Dissenters get dealt with. So follow the line like a good little sheep.
... or move overseas. Which is where the Chinese-Australian community comes from, and they shouldn't be lumped into one group because there are people of Chinese origin who want nothing to do with the CCP.

I share your disdain for the CCP and Chinese business practices. But I find your assertion that Chinese people are automatically pro-CCP offensive. While you're right in that the education system over in mainland China has a definite pro-CCP slant, some Chinese people are educated overseas and have a different worldview.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #78
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
we need China more than China needs us
Nah. Screw them.

Form a new trading bloc with Canada, New Zealand and the UK. We may take a hit in the short to medium term, but if enough countries stop trading with China, their power will wane. We need to diversify to stop being so reliant on China. Right now, they know we need them so they're going to dictate terms, and we can't let that happen.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #79
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Nah. Screw them.

Form a new trading bloc with Canada, New Zealand and the UK. We may take a hit in the short to medium term, but if enough countries stop trading with China, their power will wane. We need to diversify to stop being so reliant on China. Right now, they know we need them so they're going to dictate terms, and we can't let that happen.
I wish! Those 3 together make up the population of maybe 3-5 Chinese cities or less than 1/14th the population of China.

Better off trying to deal with India or change what we export to better suit countries we want to do business with.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #80
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
German nuclear scientists mostly defected, and brought the knowledge with them.

I see your point about the japanese, but by the stage their products started hitting our shores they were a different country, completely pacified after wwII.
The world needs to move away from china before it’s too late.
The victor also gets to write history, Operation paperclip / overcast saw that most "defectors" who weren't captured, were offered an alternate life time in prison if they didn't defect...

Fun Fact, Ford stamping plant in Geelong had a Russian nuclear scientist working on the 1000 Tonners :- No real nuclear industry in Oz aside from Lucas Heights.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #81
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually see a new ldv in the bunnings trade centre or mitre 10 yard. I always wonder why? Imagine being that bloke in the friendship group, always having to justify it to your mates, and boy oh boy i bet your wife is proud.

Youre getting finance anyway, go get something half decent for 10 grand more.

I just really dont get it. Needs to be a big change in all of society really. As a tradesman, i run on "buy the best you can afford borrow if you have to". If this was a more common approach, china wouldn't have a hold in Australia. My effies glove box lid can hold more than the tray of a t60
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #82
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I wish! Those 3 together make up the population of maybe 3-5 Chinese cities or less than 1/14th the population of China.

Better off trying to deal with India or change what we export to better suit countries we want to do business with.
This is the thing, it's more than just those countries. Trade with countries that value democracy and a degree of individual freedom and liberty.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #83
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
i run on "buy the best you can afford borrow if you have to". If this was a more common approach, china wouldn't have a hold in Australia.
LOL, this is how the world wants you to work. Makes the rich richer and enslaves people to debt.
Classic capitalist problem is they want all the money but need customers. Wages stay low or jobs are lost but they want to sell us expensive, unnecessary things.

The solution is debt and forcing people to work for whatever they can get and pay that debt. That's why they all moved manufacturing to China and lost jobs in the west but can still make a lot of money; debt.

Last edited by oldel; 04-01-2021 at 09:14 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #84
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just "buy the best you can afford" + "save up if you can't afford it today"

is all that's required.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
Nah. Screw them.

Many business’s are moving out of china for cheaper manufacturing in places like vietnam etc. Moving on to the next cheaper place to manufacture. Let’s hope the chinese end up being priced out of the market, and business moves on elsewhere.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:16 PM   #86
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're at an exciting point in time. I'd say that when the UK abandoned the Commonwealth to get into the European single market in the early 1970s (mistake!) was more of a shock - although that is before my time.

Now it can reforge those old trade ties. Australian iron ore can go to other places. I wouldn't complain if it came back with the quality of my grandfather's old hand tools, with "Made in Sheffield" on them.

Biden has sounded out a coalition of democracies, so it looks like alliances will be strengthened and dual economies/supply chains will develop. This is nothing new, it's what was going on from the 1950s to 1980s with the Soviet Union and the West. It has happened before.

(If you take a look at the supply chains for lithium, rare earths, cobalt etc, you will see the two sides scrambling to access them - in the case of the West, scramble to set up an independent supply chain. That's where we are headed).

If I look at my recent big ticket purchases over Corona, I bought and built a German CNC (superbly solid) and run it with British software (very capable, well supported). I can now make stuff here - Made in Australia - from raw materials.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:34 PM   #87
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Many business’s are moving out of china for cheaper manufacturing in places like vietnam etc. Moving on to the next cheaper place to manufacture. Let’s hope the chinese end up being priced out of the market, and business moves on elsewhere.
I have no idea why more isn't done in Philippines.

They have an ultra low average income and seem to be quite stable?

India seems to have already started getting into gear for manufacturing.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2021, 02:29 AM   #88
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL, this is how the world wants you to work. Makes the rich richer and enslaves people to debt.
Classic capitalist problem is they want all the money but need customers. Wages stay low or jobs are lost but they want to sell us expensive, unnecessary things.

The solution is debt and forcing people to work for whatever they can get and pay that debt. That's why they all moved manufacturing to China and lost jobs in the west but can still make a lot of money; debt.
You get what you pay for.
When you rely on things to work to make a living, or maybe for them to save your bacon, your ideology goes straight out the window.
Manufacturing only moved overseas because so many cheapskates didnt shell out and buy the good stuff when they could, and hands were forced by factory workers that expected ridiculous wages for nothing. Now its almost impossible to buy quality stuff, especially tools. You'll be ordering from the usa for heavy tools, or japan for precision. Cordless tools are a non event too, thanks to tti forcing dewalt into Stanley, which is garbage now aswell, and now just about every dewalt tool is made in china. But when bunnings sells an aeg kit for half the price or less, and the bloke in the ldv with a hectic weekend of picture frame hanging buys it, what can they do?
Perhaps if people in the 80s and 90s werent so greedy we'd still have some industry here. Im surprised places like bendix still are. Bloke mowing the lawn once a week is probably pushing 100k a year.
I bet there is some corporate greed as well, but the proof is in the pudding right in this thread. People are short sighted, selfish and stupid.
And so it goes, you buy a $50 tool 10 times, I buy a $400 ,tool once, who wins?

Last edited by Jack91; 05-01-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2021, 03:43 AM   #89
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everything you said has truth to it, including short sighted and stupid people, but the greed comes from the top down, not the bottom up. So corporations moved to cheaper overseas factories first, before buyers bought cheap form overseas.
It couldn't be any other way, as buyers don't set up logistics or set rents do they?
Your opinion of some corporate greed but it's the buyers fault mostly is backwards.

E: We've taken care of our own, as in taken care of 50-70% of income goes to the roof over our head and there's not much left and we live in debt. The only winners were people that bought housing before the mid 90s.

Last edited by oldel; 05-01-2021 at 03:55 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
You get what you pay for.
When you rely on things to work to make a living, or maybe for them to save your bacon, your ideology goes straight out the window.
Manufacturing only moved overseas because so many cheapskates didnt shell out and buy the good stuff when they could, and hands were forced by factory workers that expected ridiculous wages for nothing. Now its almost impossible to buy quality stuff, especially tools. You'll be ordering from the usa for heavy tools, or japan for precision. Cordless tools are a non event too, thanks to tti forcing dewalt into Stanley, which is garbage now aswell, and now just about every dewalt tool is made in china. But when bunnings sells an aeg kit for half the price or less, and the bloke in the ldv with a hectic weekend of picture frame hanging buys it, what can they do?
Perhaps if people in the 80s and 90s werent so greedy we'd still have some industry here. Im surprised places like bendix still are. Bloke mowing the lawn once a week is probably pushing 100k a year.
I bet there is some corporate greed as well, but the proof is in the pudding right in this thread. People are short sighted, selfish and stupid.
And so it goes, you buy a $50 tool 10 times, I buy a $400 ,tool once, who wins?
Bendix only still operates at a token level because it's cheaper to continue their tiny manufacturing operations rather than pay for the cleanup of all the environmental damage they've caused after they close down.

Bendix is a marketing company these days, they mostly slap their name on cheap **** ex overseas and people are under the impression it's coming out of their local manufacturing operation.

Junk product at extortion prices, if you're buying brake pads buy anything that comes out of Friction Material Group like TRW/Remsa, better value and much better product without Bendix tax.

Looks like MG is going to release another EV based on the MG3

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...is-year-report

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-01-2021 at 07:34 AM.