Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #31
kocho
The Futuriser

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Good to see some people showing their true blue oval bias here. If it were a Ford....

Anyway, ripping value for this car. Will be interesting to see how much more (I assume) the BRZ will be.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
The automatic is a $2500 option! seriously in this day and age to charge that much extra???

I know many will say but this car was meant for manual only ... but the reality is that most people will still be ordering the Auto and this is how Toyota will be crawling the price back up ...
If you buy this style of car in auto, and are not disabled in some way, then they should charge you for it so people that want the manual don't have to pay a premium to keep the auto price down for the ******* that buy a sports can in auto :-)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Now to drop a Lexus V8 in it ... like has already been done in Japan.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #34
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Now to drop a Lexus V8 in it ... like has already been done in Japan.

This ^^^

It will sell like hotcakes at that pricing. Wheels rated it higher than the outgoing Cayman for pure driving experience vs price. Gotta love that

Going to be a tuners dream!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
If you buy this style of car in auto, and are not disabled in some way, then they should charge you for it so people that want the manual don't have to pay a premium to keep the auto price down for the ******* that buy a sports can in auto :-)
Trev I recall you where looking into a sportscar, have the balls to buy a Toyota?

I know I sure as heck will, why buy a little hatch for daily duties when you can have this.

Im interested to see Subarus pricing, and if STi will have a play. This is a great car on paper. Do want very much!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #36
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

Looks alot like a younger version of the Lexus LFA
http://www.lexus.com/LFA/images/LFA_noflash.jpg
1975 XB Falcon Sedan
Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice as how rare toyota brought a car out that isn't comparable to the normal "white goods" we cop from them. can't wait to see what numbers this thing will pull with a turbo kit....
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #38
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Fantastic value there!..
Re: the auto being extra $2500, Nissan's 7 speed auto on the 370Z is $3000 and worth every cent.. paddles, blips downchanging, and the most precise auto I've driven. If the 86 auto is on par, it should be great.
BTW.. the 370Z (which you'd have to compare the 86 to) is double the price!
Pity no ragtop?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Specs look like Honda engines in the late 90s/mid 2000s, of course there is going to be little torque. You have 6 gears, use them.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

nice car at a good price. Mate at work owns an older mr2 and has been going on about this thing for a while now. Once I showed my brother he is keen as well now. He will be looking at getting out of the FG T and into one of these if he enjoys the drive. I think he will miss the power though.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Fantastic value there!..
Re: the auto being extra $2500, Nissan's 7 speed auto on the 370Z is $3000 and worth every cent.. paddles, blips downchanging, and the most precise auto I've driven. If the 86 auto is on par, it should be great.
Pity no ragtop?
I think its a good move to have the auto extra, no disrespect because its a personal choice but a car like this (and the Z cars) are about driver involvement so perhaps that is dulled (ever so slightly) with an auto.

Convertible..maybe because of its size it might be restricted. I would think the Z is a bigger coupe. Maybe soft top but I dont think they could manage a folding hard top. Still its going to be popular so I dont think they will be short of a quid to do it if the demand is there.

Will Subaru's pricing be similar? Is the interior the same or different?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Trev I recall you where looking into a sportscar, have the balls to buy a Toyota?
I know I sure as heck will, why buy a little hatch for daily duties when you can have this.
Im interested to see Subarus pricing, and if STi will have a play. This is a great car on paper. Do want very much!
I definitely have been following the reviews with interest, and it is a contender perhaps. A bit more grunt would be nice but I know in the hills around here the Toyota would be just epic. (actually my 1am this morning run through The Black Spur in the F6 was pretty epic this morning too, but in a different sort of rotate the earth backwards type of way).

I think 370Z might be the front runner at the moment. Although that doesn't really move me that much either.

The GT or GT-P is not out of the question, and the one I drove recently looked quite special (seduce with silver stripes, very unusual, and a bit classy, although the boot spoiler spoils it a bit and the bonnet bulge I do dislike from the drivers eye as you see it bob up and down, gee they are nose heavy), and almost gave me that bit of want in an attractive way that I just have never got with a modern Falcon. The badge on a modern car means nothing to me. I do struggle with the price they ask. And it is just more of the same really, so no real change for me.

The Nissan is just sensational inside, but I do want to get up close and personal with the Toyota.

In some ways my ideal would be the smart packaging inside of the RX8, but with a latest tech 4-pot or small capacity 6-pot and slick box, that would be awesome. The rotary is great fun but tiresome when not going bananas, so you go hard all the time :-) And they do drink fuel, and oil. I do miss it though, an absolutely sensational car with some incredibly clever design. Just needs a new engine...

I think I have just been forever ruined by a couple of days with a 911. I shouldn't have done it. Everything else just feels pox now...

Last edited by mcnews; 04-06-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #43
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Wow that is just amazing value for money from what I've read! Bit like the FJ Cruiser!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Fantastic value there!..
Pity no ragtop?
Funny how autos can be seen as sacrilege in a sports car.

Probably get hounded for saying this, but if I was to get a 370Z I would probably get the auto - the manual and clutch is too brutal and heavy for me to enjoy driving - especially as you are concentrating enough to see out of the bloody thing. Maybe the one I drove was a bit abused but it was a chore.

The lighter and more simple 86 would I bet have a very nice light gearchange and clutch.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #45
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I definitely have been following the reviews with interest, and it is a contender perhaps. A bit more grunt would be nice but I know in the hills around here the Toyota would be just epic. (actually my 1am this morning run through The Black Spur in the F6 was pretty epic this morning too, but in a different sort of rotate the earth backwards type of way).

I think 370Z might be the front runner at the moment. Although that doesn't really move me that much either.

The GT or GT-P is not out of the question, and the one I drove recently looked quite special (seduce with silver stripes, very unusual, and a bit classy, although the boot spoiler spoils it a bit and the bonnet bulge I do dislike from the drivers eye as you see it bob up and down, gee they are nose heavy), and almost gave me that bit of want in an attractive way that I just have never got with a modern Falcon. But still I struggle with the price they ask. And it is just more of the same really, so no real change for me.

The Nissan is just sensational inside, but I do want to get up close and personal with the Toyota.

In some ways my ideal would be the smart packaging inside of the RX8, but with a latest tech 4-pot or small capacity 6-pot and slick box, that would be awesome.

I think I have just been forever ruined by a couple of days with a 911. I shouldn't have done it. Everything else just feels pox now...
Ah spoilt for choice. Im the kind of person though that would look at the 86 and think yeah, thats a ripper car and an awesome price....but...

I could get a S7/8 RX7 for $25k easy, fresh import etc. Get the Sprint R or a Bathurst model.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #46
mcnews
Trev

After growing up with top loaders and single rails anything modern these days feels too smooth to be true, lol. Even the six-speed in the FPV that people whinge about feels like a smooth little japanese toy box compared to the stuff we used to punt around in. Try an A833 four-speed in a big block Chrysler :-)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #47
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
yeah, its just the sort of thing everyone's been missing

First shippment of 400 has sold out - not bad for something noone appearantly wants :-)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #48
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There will be turbo kits and all kinds of aftermarket mods available for this car almost immediately.

Aftermarket tuners & developers were given access by Toyota and allowed input throughout the whole devlelopment phase. The idea being this car is a blank canvas designed to be modded, allowing Toyota to sell it ridiculously cheap.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly! An auto would transform a car like this, and not for the better. Call the $2.5k cost a tax on stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
So its another hairdressers car? Would of been a bit more interesting with a turbo engine.
Clearly this is in no way a hairdressers car. Its a sports car in the purest sense of the term
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #49
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
First shippment of 400 has sold out - not bad for something noone appearantly wants :-)

Hence the alleged $10k above RRP quotes. In a supply/demand driven world there will always be opportunists.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #50
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Clearly this is in no way a hairdressers car. Its a sports car in the purest sense of the term
So is a MX5.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Hence the alleged $10k above RRP quotes. In a supply/demand driven world there will always be opportunists.
That price may have been a GTS on road which would be approaching 40. Either way I dont think you will see discounting.

GT manual for me, I like the idea of 16 inch rims - all you need on a car that size and weight.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
So is a MX5.
Hmm seems people are not quite sure of what a hair dressers car is, typically a FWD sports car (not hot hatch) like the previous Celica's (non AWD/RWD).

MX5 is a sports car, 100%, and a very good one, just like the 86/BRZ.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #53
Kryton

Cant wait to see the first "rice" version...........

/sarcasm off.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #54
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So is a MX5.
Yep, the MX5 is a sports car - not a hairdressers car.

A hairdresser car buyer would be looking at a convertible Focus, Golf, and all those other horrible overweight, disproportioned pieces of utter garbage - not an MX5.

A hairdressr car buyer would be looking at a Hyundai Velostar or Kia Koup before a Toyota 86. Although with so little competition in the small coupe class a few will definitely end up with one - auto of course.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #55
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Im not saying its underpowered, but id love to see it with 240-250bhp stock
Might drive one when they arrive.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #56
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Hairdressers car is an underpowered sports car usually driven by women or gay guys. The MX5 is the hairdresser car icon and has been for some time. Audi TT is another popular one.

Im not saying the new 86 wont be a fun car to drive but it will mainly be bought by women who want something a bit stylish/sporty.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #57
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Im not saying its underpowered, but id love to see it with 240-250bhp stock
Might drive one when they arrive.
Be nice with the five-pot Volvo donk like your Focus has in it.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hairdressers car is an underpowered sports car usually driven by women or gay guys. The MX5 is the hairdresser car icon and has been for some time. Audi TT is another popular one.

Just because a car might appeal to that market, doesn't mean its actually a hairdressers car. The only people who would call an MX5 that are people who see the types who might often drive them, then base their factless conclusion on that alone - with no real knowlege of the car.

The MX5 is a brilliant car from an enthusiast perspective, regardless of who drives them.

Quote:
Im not saying the new 86 wont be a fun car to drive but it will mainly be bought by women who want something a bit stylish/sporty.
You need to learn the difference between a sports car and a sporty car. They are worlds apart. The Toyota 86 is a sports car regardless of who buys one for whatever reason.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #59
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Be nice with the five-pot Volvo donk like your Focus has in it.
Yeah something to that effect would be good i reckon.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #60
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Hey it wasn't me that gave them the tag.
Closed Thread