Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #571
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

The history is http://rac.com.au/about-us/about-rac/our-history :
Quote:
It was in 1905 that RAC - or Automobile Club of Western Australia as it was then known - was formed by a small group of enthusiastic car owners.

They established the club partly for social purposes, such as picnic runs and reliability trials, and also to overcome the hostility of a community that still depended on the horse for road transport.

Since then the organisation has grown considerably and well over half a million vehicles are now covered under RAC membership.
. ... so I expect at least the original objects were about promoting the interests of motorists. The cyclists in WA already have influential lobby groups so I don't thing the RAC needs to help lobby on their behave. I do agree that the RAC and the cyclist lobby should work together to promote mutual understanding, safety and other mutual interests but I think it is going somewhat further with this latest initiative and survey. I think it should be spending membership funds on initiatives that more directly benefit motoring members not promoting the desires of the cycling lobby.

Last edited by aussiblue; 31-01-2015 at 12:17 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #572
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
The history is http://rac.com.au/about-us/about-rac/our-history :

. ... so I expect at least the original objects were about promoting the interests of motorists. The cyclists in WA already have influential lobby groups so I don't thing the RAC needs to help lobby on their behave.
They would be lobbing on the behalf of motorists. If there are recommendations that would be getting made to govco then the RAC need to have their input. From different points of view better laws should arise. If the RAC doesn't talk to the state government then there could be some silly changes made.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #573
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Does anyone here ride in Sydney City?

Over time I've read about Clover Moore's bike lanes in newspapers, which are usually accompanied by remarks such as 'no one uses them' or 'they take up too much space' etc etc

Are they worthwhile, or is it just political grandstanding ?

(Please keep in mind AFF's political policy if replying )
Hardly see them being used, and I'm in the CBD every week.

I don't think the percentage of cyclists justify the lanes, especially when they replace lanes for cars / buses etc.

I park at Broadway centre all the time, be it for the cinema or for some shopping when leaving / entering the city and right near the side exit they have a dedicated place for bike parking - these green looking things with some sort of locking mechanism. Probably 30 or 40 of them.

Empty 95% of the time.. I think the most bikes I have seen there parked is 2....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #574
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Various RACs/NRMA have also been lobbying for public transport improvements. I think the underlying agenda would be freeing up more road space for motorists. Something along these lines!

I imagine any advocacy for cycling would similarly be to ensure that they are safely out of the way of motorists.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #575
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-0...848?section=wa
Quote:
Auditor-general to investigate adequacy of WA's metropolitan cycle path network
Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #576
5_speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Does anyone here ride in Sydney City?

Over time I've read about Clover Moore's bike lanes in newspapers, which are usually accompanied by remarks such as 'no one uses them' or 'they take up too much space' etc etc

Are they worthwhile, or is it just political grandstanding ?

(Please keep in mind AFF's political policy if replying )
I ride through the city for my daily to commute to work and back and the cycle lanes work really well for the route I take.

I see a fair few other cyclist using them at the time I use them too.

I think the cycle lanes are more heavily used early in the morning (I'm going through the city at 7:15am) when there's less people around to notice them in use.
5_speed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #577
Rowdy Fitment
Armbar Assassin

Bicycle registration isn't the answer, just like with cars people will ride unregistered. Though it would give people in situations like this some monetary help though, the fact that the dbag cyclist in question was only fined $67 is a joke. See it all the time with cyclists running red lights and generally acting like they own the roads.
Rowdy Fitment is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #578
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
just like with cars people will ride unregistered
Yes; but I can't see them outrunning the police.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #579
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

and the circle goes round again

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #580
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Fitment View Post
Bicycle registration isn't the answer, just like with cars people will ride unregistered. Though it would give people in situations like this some monetary help though, the fact that the dbag cyclist in question was only fined $67 is a joke. See it all the time with cyclists running red lights and generally acting like they own the roads.
Is that you tempted?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #581
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

... but I can see the headline now "Pedestrians seriously injured in Police chase by drunken cyclist on unregistered bike."
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #582
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Is that you tempted?
that's the first thing I thought when I read that and saw the join date

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #583
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Is that a Volvo ? http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cy...16-ghpboq.html
Old 16-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #584
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

That's a blatant hit and run if Ive ever seen one.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #585
prydey
Rob

i don't think it was malicious by the driver, however there is no excuse for leaving the scene. there is no way the driver wouldn't have known what he had done.

looking at the footage it would appear they were approaching another pinch point (concrete island in the median), and the driver has sped up to beat them, rather than apply the brakes and fall in behind. common 'one upmanship' by motorists who don't want to be 'beaten' by a pesky cyclist. happens often at roundabouts.

hopefully he is tracked down and charged with 'leaving the scene' as a minimum.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post