Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
1998galaxyforte

Default au falcon questions

Hi all,

Just got my L's and I've just got a OCT 1998 build au falcon forte sedan with 98K kms on it. It also has Tickford factory lpg, factory electric windows front + back and the other normal forte stuff.

1. Just wondering is it possible to do a manual conversion with the cars that run with the tickford lpg system.

2. I am thinking of doing a full exhaust, any recommendations.

3. To go with the exhaust I would also like to run an enclosed pod filter, also any recommendations. ( most likely in the standard airbox or a with a uniflow Ram pod)

4. The forte has spent most of its life near the sea and it has rust in the engine bay near the ID tags and engine number, any one experienced this?

5. It has the territory 17"s on them where it has gutter rash theres a tiny bit of surface rust, would be ok to get them powder coated, would the rust stop?

6. Also thinking of doing suspension and brake mods, is the king spring and monroe gt sport kit any good also a front whiteline swaybar and finally would it be ok getting some good slotted rotors and pads rather than upgrading to the series 2 front conversion?

thanks Chris.

1998galaxyforte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

G"day and welcome .Most of the answers to your Questions can be found at the top of the page In Here or in many of the build threads that can be found Here

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Day-mow
rexnet

Good to hear bout your buy. For an exhaust depends on what you want to spend you can get a red back 2.5 exhaust for like $200 +p&h on eBay. I personally went a custom it sounds pretty sweet and possibly has more performance.

A pod in a box isnt to hard to set up you just need a drill and some hose clamps BA intake. 90mm PVC and silicone to create something special. I'd also suggest you get a bigger snorkel these can be found on eBay for about $50.

I've herd the series 2 up grade is a super idea. Much bigger brakeing surface but a bit of work involved. One of the pluses of the s2 upgrade is getting discs machined means that you don't need to change seals because you don't have any.

Munroe shocks id steer clear off get a minimum of Pedders. King springs are ok there are better brands. Blistien I think there called.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Welcome to the forums!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998galaxyforte
Hi all,

Just got my L's and I've just got a OCT 1998 build au falcon forte sedan with 98K kms on it. It also has Tickford factory lpg, factory electric windows front + back and the other normal forte stuff.

1. Just wondering is it possible to do a manual conversion with the cars that run with the tickford lpg system.
Don't know for sure, but why wouldn't it be possible? Anything is these days lol...

2. I am thinking of doing a full exhaust, any recommendations.
Keep it simple, you're young and there's plenty of other things to spend your $$$ on - just go a 2.5" Redback sports system with a centre muffler and rear resonator.

3. To go with the exhaust I would also like to run an enclosed pod filter, also any recommendations. ( most likely in the standard airbox or a with a uniflow Ram pod)
To be legal it will need to be inside the airbox...

4. The forte has spent most of its life near the sea and it has rust in the engine bay near the ID tags and engine number, any one experienced this?
Can't help you with this sorry...

5. It has the territory 17"s on them where it has gutter rash theres a tiny bit of surface rust, would be ok to get them powder coated, would the rust stop?
If the rust is only on the surface, try some metal polish on the rims to remove it!

6. Also thinking of doing suspension and brake mods, is the king spring and monroe gt sport kit any good also a front whiteline swaybar and finally would it be ok getting some good slotted rotors and pads rather than upgrading to the series 2 front conversion?
Depends how you're going to drive it?? This question popped up a while ago, and the consensus was split between both options - but S1 brakes are not great, so an upgrade of some sort is worthwhile!
Monroe's are OK - but you can do better. Wouldn't bother with Bilstein's unless you have $000's just lying around. Have a look at KYB or BOGE shocks.
Springs - check out the Eibach's - $265 delivered, halfway between 'low' and 'super low'...
Whiteline swaybar - again, how are you going to use the car? First I'd be getting it lowered and upgrading shocks....that's if you are going to!

thanks Chris.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

1 Yes you are able to put a manual behind the factory gas motor. They'll run with anything behind them.
2 What dave987654321 said
3 Don't waste too much time, an airhog panel filter will be enough. Plus the real restriction is your throttle body anyway
4 All AU's have rust, some owners just don't know it. (Generalising, there are some mint examples around.)
5. Are they just the standard territory steel wheels? If so, maybe it'd be better just to get another one?
6. Yes upgrade the brakes. As much as i dearly love the twin piston brakes in the AUII, i found when I had my AU1 going from worn rotors and pads to new ones made a big difference. Don't spend $700 or anything like that though.
IMO don't lower it too much. Yeah king lows will be good, you probably won't even need to change shocks if the 98K is genuine.

Also galaxy blue is possibly the best colour the AU's came in
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
2 What dave987654321 said
LOL I really should change my name
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
IMO don't lower it too much. Yeah king lows will be good, you probably won't even need to change shocks if the 98K is genuine.
Given it's an AU1, and already an inch higher than AU2/3 stock, I would say lows as an absolute minimum...even if the shocks are only 98K old, they're also 12 years old, I'd change them for peace of mind...