Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default What to look for second hand Mondeo

Hey Guys,
Im looking to purchase a second hand Mondeo. 2009 zetec wagon petrol. It has 80k on the clock and full service history. I am going to look at the vehicle and would like some advice on things to focus on whilst inspecting the vehicle.
I am mechanically minded and would rather some advice of Mondeo owners rather then get a Nrma/racv check.
I have already looked at the common problems thread and observed some common problems.
If there is any advice please feel free to shoot it my way.

Regards,

4dlvr
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Default Re: What to look for second hand Mondeo

Suggest paying attention to the steering - make sure there is no knocking when turning lock to lock and no whining from the power steering pump. There have been a fair few globally that have needed power steering and rack replacements (mine included) and it is not a cheap exercise. There's a fairly lengthy thread over at talkford forums.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Binny

Mines about to hit 80k and I no dramas at all to report.
I think a thorough service history is the most essential thing with modern cars these days.

The only thing I can think of that may not have been covered in the common problems is that my lumber support was collapsed on the drivers seat when I bought it. Fixed under warranty. It amazing how fast it stuffs your back when you sink too far into the seat.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
4dlvr
4dlvr

thanks guys, i checked the vehicle out and it seems to be in pretty good nik.
my only concern is the amount of km. at 80k its got to be close to a major service.
the vehicle had excellent brakes so im assuming they have been done fairly recently maybe second time?
does anyone know when a major service is due on the 2.3l petrol and roughly whats involved and price?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90k service
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr View Post
thanks guys, i checked the vehicle out and it seems to be in pretty good nik.
my only concern is the amount of km. at 80k its got to be close to a major service.
the vehicle had excellent brakes so im assuming they have been done fairly recently maybe second time?
does anyone know when a major service is due on the 2.3l petrol and roughly whats involved and price?

Thanks
Majors are every 60k with minors every 15.
Capped service prices are here -
http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myf...rs/cappedprice
Going by this the next service is at 90k and is $290.
Check the books that the major was done at 60k! And take note of who stamped it. If you are suss have a look at the air filter and see what sort of nick its in. If the 60k service wasn't done properly the filter will still be the one that came in it new and will likely be filthy.

The Mondeo has the best standard brakes I have ever used and they will still be biting hard when the rotors are worn past minimum thickness. So don't assume they have just been done. They have metallic pads that wear the rotors out so look for any evidence in the books that they may have been replaced. That's the only real way to tell unless you pull the wheels off and inspect how the pads and rotors look. You should be able to tell if they are fairly new. (Just thought, as its a Zetec you may be able to have a decent look without taking the wheels off. I can't with my povo pack steelies.)

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
4dlvr
4dlvr

That's for that post. Great help.
Any idea when the timing chain needs replacing? I can't seem to find it anywhere
Old 14-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
VF69HARDTOP
Starter Motor

10yrs or 240k as stated in my service book. I wouldn't leave for the 240k though, Im doing mine when it hits 110-120k. Never heard of a timing belt lasting 240k before.
VF69HARDTOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF69HARDTOP View Post
10yrs or 240k as stated in my service book. I wouldn't leave for the 240k though, Im doing mine when it hits 110-120k. Never heard of a timing belt lasting 240k before.
Maybe not a belt, but many chains easily last that distance (km's)
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

If it has visible documentation on servicing (ie written / typed service reports) have a good look through them and see what has been replaced or if there has been an ongoing issue which hasn't been rectified. I have experienced this in the past where a car has had an issue with wheel alignment or tyre scrubbing which was due to suspension damage from an accident :( Nothing that couldn't be repaired but not cheap either. Are you looking at buying the car privately or from a dealer ? If you have any doubts it's worth paying a few dollars for an independent inspection just for peace of mind If it's private and they are reluctant to allow it, then walk away !!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post