Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default Coil overs

Just went looking for a new suspension set up for the MA TDCi as it had done 240,000 km and was very skippy in the rear end. Not many options to choose from and many were very ordinary and very expensive. $1700 fitted which was not a lot more than the other crap that was on offer. They are fully adjustable in height and damping rate (36 points of adjustment I think). I have them on full soft which is just fine and still quite firm.
this is what they look like
http://www.bc-racing.com.au/bc-racin...br-series.html

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
whitetdci

Default Re: Coil overs

Just a note to all out there with similar vintage mondys. They suspension was absolutely shot. The rear dampers you could push in one handed and they did not come out at all, which in laymans terms means they were not working at all. The front strut inserts fared only marginally better. One side was a shot duck and the other worked but was marginal. The difference they made to the car was incredible. Turn in and initiation is almost instantaneous compared to the previous waterbed. Braking also improved with far less diving under heavy braking which takes up valuable time and distance. All together a much safer and more enjoyable package to drive.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

What model struts and springs please?

I've an '09 MB TDCI Zetec and want to fit a complete set too as mine are tired.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Interesting stuff. I'd love to go coil overs but due to state legalities and insurance loopholes it wouldnt pay me to go down that path.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
whitetdci

I have an MA Tdci but I don't think there would be much of any difference between the two. Check with Ford and see. What area are you in?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Binny

Nice! Well done on 240,000ks. Any other issues in that time?
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
whitetdci

The ac had an issue but that is about it.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So did you go with the coil overs shown? and if you did how do find them as far as noise goes over potholes and dodgy road?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
So did you go with the coil overs shown? and if you did how do find them as far as noise goes over potholes and dodgy road?
It is my wife's car and she says it is bumpier but she is over the moon with the changes to it. We have them set on the full soft damper setting and find that this is great for us. The mondy is our tow car so as such we have the set the height to standard. Having said that it is a totally different critter to drive now. The most important and impressive changes are the initiating and turn in and the diving under brakes, the latter of which has been particularly good. I have also fitted some fairly unknown but seemingly well rated tyres to the front to try out. Nexen Nfera SU1. I have only had these on for less than a week but already and pretty impressed with them. Picked them up for $125 a corner for the 235/45/17 which is around half the price of the goodyears that I was running before that. I had a chance last night to take them out for a bit of a drive in one of the passing thunderstorms to see how they went in the wet. I was more than happy with the results. Great lateral grip ( not as good as the Assymet 2s but still very respectable) and very good under heavy braking applications. Also did some slalom work at 100 kph to see how they responded to harsh directional change and again was impressed. Again this was partially testing tyres and partially testing suspension. All came through with flying colours. let me know where you are or possibly PM me and I can find out the details.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good effort mate, sometimes changing suspension or shocks doesn't always have desired results .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
whitetdci

Too true mik and I did take a bit of a risk on the coil overs but I lessened that risk by doing a lot of research about that brand and asking many questions of the people fitting them. There are many coil overs out there that are ridiculously hard and may cause kidney problems down the track. Fortunately these aren't one of them.
Old 29-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
whitetdci

A bit of a side note. The spring rate that I got on ours was fine for a sportier ride and ok on the freeway, but if I was to do it again I would drop the spring rate a bit to make it more comfortable. Also make sure that you get the extenders fitted for the damper adjustment at the rear. It does mean drilling a couple of holes but really what is the point of having adjustable dampers if you cant adjust them. Also had the BR's fitted to our other vehicle and the spring rates supplied are softer and is a much more compliant and comfortable ride whilst still giving a good level of handling. The mondy does handle like it is on rails now even though it hasn't been dropped.
Old 29-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
What model struts and springs please?

I've an '09 MB TDCI Zetec and want to fit a complete set too as mine are tired.
This would have been nice to know.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
whitetdci

Sorry Cobrin, life's been busy. I have just been on the phone to BC australia who didn't have the model on their webpage. I think they are going to change that soon. I can't actually help you with the model number but if you contact them I am sure that they will be able to help you out.
Old 31-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
whitetdci

BC AU reckon the spring rate is 8 at the front and 9 at the rear!!! Like whaaa? I said. You mean the front rates are less than the rear? Yes was the reply. Mmm that is not right. I think someone somewhere is reading something a little wrong.