Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-07-2019, 04:01 AM   #1
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Default Ford AU 2 ute Drivebelt loose

Hi to all Ford Fans im an proud owner of Ford Aussie Landau 73 for the last 29years.. anyway my issue/problem lies on a Ford au 2 ute 4.0 litre 5 speed Drivebelt loose when acceleration applied the belt just slips spins screams and ute doesn't go far. Had issue with dash instrument cluster when purchased ute so repaired cluster works perfect New drivebelt new battery. New alternator and coil. What can the problem the water pump? The drivebelt is that loose i can almost take it off with my hands and this of course is draining battery , charging system not operating properly forgot to mention new drivebelt tensioner/idler and belt still slipping when accelerating , frustrating

Last edited by FLandau351; 18-07-2019 at 04:08 AM.
FLandau351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 04:05 AM   #2
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford AU 2 ute Drivebelt loose

Sorry forgot to mention new drivebelt tensioner/idler and belt still slipping when accelerating Thanks
Old 18-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Did the new tensioner come with a holdback pin that’s still fitted?
Is the belt length correct?
Is the harmonic balancer slipping?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Tensioner pin location? Not sure to be honest
Old 18-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Well, to put it another way, is the tensioner nearly hitting its stop?
Old 18-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
FLandau351
Starter Motor

About 1inch off
Old 18-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It should be pretty tight so far as the belt goes. Could well be your damper slipping.

Can you mark it across the rubber insert from hub to outer ring with a stripe of liquid paper or similar, then make the belt squeal to see if the stripe is “broken”?
Old 18-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Sorry I'll take mechanics tomorrow cheers
Old 18-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

AU VCT belt is different to the INTECH. Sure you have the correct belt ??.Cheers
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Thank you very much solved Ford has sold me a BA belt , i normally check but bought together with tensioner and pre ordered Fords spare parts error not mine also didn't know this about xr6 vct belt difference Cheers for steering me in the right direction . Im still replacing water pump pulley is warped most likely from belt I assume thanks again XC50077
6 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLandau351 View Post
Hi to all Ford Fans im an proud owner of Ford Aussie Landau 73 for the last 29years.. anyway my issue/problem lies on a Ford au 2 ute 4.0 litre 5 speed Drivebelt loose when acceleration applied the belt just slips spins screams and ute doesn't go far. Had issue with dash instrument cluster when purchased ute so repaired cluster works perfect New drivebelt new battery. New alternator and coil. What can the problem the water pump? The drivebelt is that loose i can almost take it off with my hands and this of course is draining battery , charging system not operating properly forgot to mention new drivebelt tensioner/idler and belt still slipping when accelerating , frustrating
After all the problem still exists with the new correct drive belt so i was hoping somebody could help Thanks
Old 26-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I still say check your harmonic balancer.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #13
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by citroënbender View Post
^^^ This
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
We have double checked the harmonic balancer its ok , leaning towards accessories, water pump making noise Can air con pulley be a problem and how to test? Air con works fine with no noise while operatong .
On acceleration battery symbol charging light flickers
Old 26-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

OK, if you’re certain the harmo is good, next two checks are water pump - look to see if it’s cockeyed relative to the belt flats, and AC clutch. Your compressor could be commencing internal digestion.

Alternator bearings are usually long lived, but that would be check 3.
Old 31-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
It should be pretty tight so far as the belt goes. Could well be your damper slipping.

Can you mark it across the rubber insert from hub to outer ring with a stripe of liquid paper or similar, then make the belt squeal to see if the stripe is “broken”?
Sorry don't fully understand The rubber insert your stating is this on the face of the hub/ cranck pulley? I think you might be correct leaning towards harmonic balancer due to a shuddering on acceleration take off , previously wasnt shuddering , now u accelerate it spinninig bad vehicle slowly takes off ,haven't been driving vehicle this performed up down the driveway not attempting worried going to do more damage Thanks
Old 31-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The arrow indicates the bonded rubber ring. This is a Dayco balancer for the AU six.

You should make a clear, straight line, paint mark that starts from the metal inside this rubber ring and crosses it to the outer metal part.

After the car has run and squealed a bit, see if the mark is unchanged.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
The arrow indicates the bonded rubber ring. This is a Dayco balancer for the AU six.

You should make a clear, straight line, paint mark that starts from the metal inside this rubber ring and crosses it to the outer metal part.

After the car has run and squealed a bit, see if the mark is unchanged.
Hi did as you stated above theres no change in marked straight line
Old 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s good, glad you were able to check it thoroughly. Keep an eye on that mark as the car continues to age.

Now - does it still squeal with the AC turned off?
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
That’s good, glad you were able to check it thoroughly. Keep an eye on that mark as the car continues to age.

Now - does it still squeal with the AC turned off?
No it doesn't on or off i have tried
Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #21
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Serpentine belt slipping badly now worse than before in saying this belt has never once come off the pulleys while driving On take off belt slips badly as au ute crawls along up to 20km in first gear then into 2nd ute slowly drives light acceleration
Note pressing the accelerator a tad more the belt starts slipping Sorry never stated au2 ute is 5spd manual if that helps At first i thought it was clutch slipping. Concerned about driving 10km to mechanics
Old 04-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Hang on...

If you wanted to accelerate hard, you could without a problem, right? Just that it would be squealing it's whatchamacallits off?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #23
FLandau351
Starter Motor

No u can not accelerate hard only lightly to take off . Does not squeal , slips , with the use of a stethoscope water pump noisy replace tomorrow let u know thanks appreciate your effort/time
I know a bit abt cars , this has puzzled me
Old 07-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I'm now thinking there is no problem at the front, but a transmission issue.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #25
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm now thinking there is no problem at the front, but a transmission issue.
It's a 5 speed manual keep in mind.

I've read over this thread several times trying to work out what's happening and there's definitely some confusion about the function of some components. For example I think the term "drive belt" is throwing the diagnosis off.

I don't think the serpentine belt (drive belt) is actually anything to do with the symptoms and I think the name of this component is being taken too literally by the OP.

It sounds to me like the clutch could be slipping or damaged. But there could also be something going on with the throttle.

With the "screaming" I'm still not sure if he's referring to revving it's nuts off in neutral effectively (because of the possible clutch failure) or if it's literally making a screaming noise (unrelated noisy pulley, back to the "drive belt" thinking).

But really, there's a few things it could be, but still being unable to determine what the actual symptoms are, he might be better off getting a mechanic to take a look.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #26
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Yes like my initial thought was the clutch hope not gears... inspection today let u know citroenbender appreciate your effort and times thanks
Old 08-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #27
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
It's a 5 speed manual keep in mind.

I've read over this thread several times trying to work out what's happening and there's definitely some confusion about the function of some components. For example I think the term "drive belt" is throwing the diagnosis off.

I don't think the serpentine belt (drive belt) is actually anything to do with the symptoms and I think the name of this component is being taken too literally by the OP.

It sounds to me like the clutch could be slipping or damaged. But there could also be something going on with the throttle.

With the "screaming" I'm still not sure if he's referring to revving it's nuts off in neutral effectively (because of the possible clutch failure) or if it's literally making a screaming noise (unrelated noisy pulley, back to the "drive belt" thinking).

But really, there's a few things it could be, but still being unable to determine what the actual symptoms are, he might be better off getting a mechanic to take a look.
Sorry its not a screaming noise its revving out on take off then slowly drives off so its slipping pointing to clutch find out soon I stated numerous times slipping not screaming regarding serpentine drivebelt seems stretched is that loose i can take it off with my hands with force Now does a bad clutch stretch the drivebelt? Thanks
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #28
FLandau351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Serpentine belt slipping badly now worse than before in saying this belt has never once come off the pulleys while driving On take off belt slips badly as au ute crawls along up to 20km in first gear then into 2nd ute slowly drives light acceleration
Note pressing the accelerator a tad more the belt starts slipping Sorry never stated au2 ute is 5spd manual if that helps At first i thought it was clutch slipping. Concerned about driving 10km to mechanics
Please read this quote even if you have already read several times .
Old 11-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #29
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like the clutch is cactus and slipping mate , if the car rev's but barely moves that is a sure sign that the clutch is knackered.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #30
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Please read this quote even if you have already read several times .
Thanks for the clarification. I've read your quote again and I still stand by my suggestions.

Hopefully you've got to the bottom of it now though. Have you had a mechanic look over it and diagnose it?

What was the outcome?
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post