Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
TeamSAXON

Default Is this another actuator post? Probably.

Hey au fans

I have an issue with my s3 xr6 locking.

I can't actually get into the car without a great deal of trouble.

Neither the key fob or the actual key unlock the car. When I press the unlock button, the door lock will cycle, come up, then it goes back down and it won't actually unlock. I put the key in and try to unlock it that way and the same thing happens.

Is this a shagged actuator motor?

I replaced the actuator cog in my forte but that caused a different issue which would allow the car to be unlocked by pulling on the rear door handles.

I can't actually get into my xr6. Not without pulling the door handle and interrupting the unlocking/locking cycle that it's in. And I learned the hard way that doing this displaces the inside door handle cable leaving the door unable to be shut properly. Although it does actually let me get into the car. This is obviously not ideal, as I can't drive it with a door that won't stay shut!
TeamSAXON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Is this another actuator post? Probably.

It does sound like an actuator although it's the reverse of what normally happens when they fail as they usually don't lock.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Could be a bent snipper rod - the push rod that goes from the button on top of the driver's door sill to the actuator or the button on top of the snipper rod not sitting correctly in it's sill surround so that it can't be pushed all the way up by the actuator so returns immediately to the lock position. These fault typically cause the locks to continually recycle. Same deal if the plastic button on top of the rod is broken, has lost its thread or is screwed on too far or too little.

Last edited by aussiblue; 28-09-2019 at 12:04 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this problem and the solution aussiblue mentioned did the trick. I was changing over locks at the time.
Old 28-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
TeamSAXON

I took the card off today and snipper rod looked ok but I could be wrong.

I replaced the actuator motor, and the cog inside was in good condition, so I now know it's definitely not those two things.

When I press unlock with the remote the lock jumps up but then returns to the locked position.

It is luck as to whether the door will unlock or not. If I lift the handle and then go through a process of unlocking twice (all doors), locking, and then unlocking again it seems to open. That's the only idea I have.

If it is indeed the snipper rod- I'm just a dummy and don't know it's bent or not-, are they easy to source?

Last edited by TeamSAXON; 28-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 28-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
If it is indeed the snipper rod- I'm just a dummy and don't know it's bent or not-, are they easy to source?
You just bend them back. The tell-tale sign of a bent snipper rod is if the button on the sill doesn't appear to be moving total vertically and at right angles to the window sill at the top. The button also doesn't pull up and down with virtually no resistance when the rod is bent.
Old 29-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
TeamSAXON

I'll have another look at it when I can get the card off again. The door opens itself slightly when it does actually decide to unlock properly, I don't know if that's another sign of what is going wrong?
Old 29-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
The door opens itself slightly when it does actually decide to unlock properly, I don't know if that's another sign of what is going wrong?
Sound like the lock latch on the door jamb may have come loose and or moved and needs adjustment. If this is the case the door will usually not be exactly flush with body as it should be. Was the car ever in accident where the door was hit? Are the rubber door seals in good condition?
Old 29-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rule in or out rear doors by disconnecting rear doors at the B pillars
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
TeamSAXON

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Sound like the lock latch on the door jamb may have come loose and or moved and needs adjustment. If this is the case the door will usually not be exactly flush with body as it should be. Was the car ever in accident where the door was hit? Are the rubber door seals in good condition?

Don't know if it ever was in an accident. Had it since Jan with no issues. Door seal rubber isn't great the rear rubber often falls out. The rear drivers side door is maybe 1 mm out when closed because of that rubber.

May just move the latch a little if I can get it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Rule in or out rear doors by disconnecting rear doors at the B pillars

Just the electrics or the whole door?
Old 30-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just electrical
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
TeamSAXON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Just electrical
Right I'll try that.

Someone asked me if the dash button operates properly. I tried the dash button to lock the car today while inside and it locked and unlocked like a door was left open. I tried a couple of times and locked the car. The drivers door handle was hard to pull when the car was locked.

I can video what's going on if that makes it easier to diagnose. I'm pretty close to taking it to a locksmith or my mechanic!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
macxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try opening the drivers door and using a screwdriver or similar to flick the latch in the door lock then see how hard it is to unlock. will help eliminate potential alignment issue
AUII XR6, BF Built Turbo engine, SOON TO BE FG ENGINE... FG head and inlet manifold. GTX3582R, KPM 1500cc injectors, Process west rail and internal pump surge, Tuned by CMS, 370rwkw. 6 speed manual, NPC twin plate clutch, mal wood under dash hydraulic clutch. 4 pot brembos and territory rears
macxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #14
TeamSAXON

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxr8 View Post
Try opening the drivers door and using a screwdriver or similar to flick the latch in the door lock then see how hard it is to unlock. will help eliminate potential alignment issue

Ok this gives me something to go on, it is easy to unlock with the inside handle when the latch has been flicked as you described. So guessing I need to undo and move the pillar latch?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
TeamSAXON

Took out the snipper rod, not sure if it is normal or bent. Photos of it here since my picture links keep breaking: http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...ppuser=2393509