Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

Default Speed camera's getting shiftier!

Was driving down one of my local roads the other day and BANG, on the MEDIAN strip between the two directions of traffic was a bloody stationary speed camera vehicle looking at me! I was in so much damn shock I didn't even think to check my speed (doing 85km/h in a 70 zone)

What's worse is I never speed on this road, just needed check that, wanted to overtake a moron driver doing 55, and smart me decided to get in front of the car next to me rather than wait for it to pass and get in behind it... and BANG, it was just there!

Has anyone seen or heard of the operators facing you??? -for only your direction of traffic (like I said, this thing was on the median strip between the two directions of traffic) rather than on the side of the road...

But the Munch will wear the fine, unless I feel like taking it to court to contest on some random law... But i'd have to speak with the traffic guys at the Firm first.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

that's a regular occurrence in QLD.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

same in sa, i see them all the time, on median strip, usually hidden in with trees etc. sux too here they are not putting the signs down the road after the cameras anymore like they used to. we could usually spot the signs up the road first.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Lion Slayer
Is Ford, Is Good

Just the other day in Nambour there were 2 policemen hiding inside a bus shelter trying to get people going down a steep hill where the speed limit goes from 80 to 70. They were only noticable as you drove right up to them, I wasn't speeding but there were a few cars around gaining speed down the hill.

Herrod Camshafts-Pacemaker ceramic coated 4-1 extractors-100 cpsi cats-X-Force dual 2.5 inch stainless catback exhaust-Bluepower CAI-Mellings oil pump-4.11 diff with truetrac-Lowered on SL / SSL-TSW Nurburgring 20x9.5/8.0

Custom tuned by RDP 260 rwkw
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last speeding fine I got was from a speed camera facing me, and that was about 5 years ago in Melbourne.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
Was driving down one of my local roads the other day and BANG, on the MEDIAN strip between the two directions of traffic was a bloody stationary speed camera vehicle looking at me! I was in so much damn shock I didn't even think to check my speed (doing 85km/h in a 70 zone)

What's worse is I never speed on this road, just needed check that, wanted to overtake a moron driver doing 55, and smart me decided to get in front of the car next to me rather than wait for it to pass and get in behind it... and BANG, it was just there!

Has anyone seen or heard of the operators facing you??? -for only your direction of traffic (like I said, this thing was on the median strip between the two directions of traffic) rather than on the side of the road...

But the Munch will wear the fine, unless I feel like taking it to court to contest on some random law... But i'd have to speak with the traffic guys at the Firm first.

I miss victorian speed cameras. You just look for the new car with black tint parked somewhere obvious. Frustrating thing was there seeming to be no rules in regards to what laws they can break in order to get those money shots! I've been booked twice for having 2 wheels up on nature strips, but i frequently used to see camera cars around melbourne on the footpath.

I'm in WA now, all on tripods hidden in the bushes. Sometimes you might see an X-trail (what all the operators seem to drive) parked somewhere stupid like in the median or trying to shove it in some bushes out of sight, but most of the time all that gets seen is the flash.

If you get done, they send you 3 photos, one of the rego plate, one of the whole vehice, and 1 zoomed right in on the drivers face. All the cameras i've ever seen over here bar 1 are facing towards you.

Police have been really hitting things hard over here lately, and i for 1 am glad. WA seems to be one of the most out of control places in Aus that i've driven in regards to drink driving culture, unlicensed driving, and i hate to use the term, but "Hoon" drivers. I'm all for a bit of fun and enjoying the drive, but i'm sick to death of p!$$ head cutting donuts around my area and racing their $#!^ box commodores through estates. Quite a few of us are at the point of being ready to take matters into our own hands.

Geez, i went off on a tangeant then! :
Old 05-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I miss victorian speed cameras. You just look for the new car with black tint parked somewhere obvious.

Recently i have seen a VY crewman. In Vic theyre not all that new anymore, theyre getting sneaky and using older cars.
To bad on my mums street they park in the one spot so i always know its them =P
Old 05-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I miss victorian speed cameras. You just look for the new car with black tint parked somewhere obvious.
Ahh, the good old days, when camera cars were brand new BA's VY's or new Magnas, with heavy tinting, a rear louver, and SA Government Plates!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is there portable speed cameras? Because coming home from school I noticed a cop sitting on the corner, with some box with buttons and knobs, with wires running into one of the big gum trees.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Is there portable speed cameras? Because coming home from school I noticed a cop sitting on the corner, with some box with buttons and knobs, with wires running into one of the big gum trees.
Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I haven't seen any older cars, the ones I usually see, are late model wagons, and smaller (x trail/ forrester type) SUVs. I've never seen them sitting in the Median strip (except the odd highway copper with the radar) And usually they are forward facing. The ticket I copped (doing 66 in a 60 zone) did not include any photo's, but I am sure had I requested them I would have had access to them.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
ford_maiden
5lt fairmont ghia

here they now have the new merc vans and they can set the camera up in the front, side or back and can catch you up to 400m back or foward, they still post the signs up on the road but they sit just about anywhere thay can park it, even behind the concrete barriers on the side of the freeway so you dont see them till your on them.
this generation of car enthusiasts didnt invent the art of 'cruising' , 'cutting bog laps' , 'racing' and 'burnouts'. its funny how the past generation or two stardted it and now are the ones handing out the fines

AU II FAIMONT GHIA " TIX35" 5.0lt
Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was doing some work on the Vic infringement system not long ago and the sample data I was provided included test photos of oncoming traffic.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
China

Take it to court if the speed camera was on the median strip fine will have to be dropped the camera must be on the same level as the rest of the traffic
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Lately I've seen these sneaky buggers sitting in the Medium strip facing you on Childs Road Mill Park, the problem is that you don't see them until you get quite close because of a curve in the road. Interesting what China says that they must be at the same level as the rest of the Traffic cause out here they are always on nature strips, footpaths etc. I was walking once and there was one parked over the footpath, I advised the guy he was blocking the footpath and he got out and wanted to go me. He was a big dude so I didn't pursue the argument. Im sure though someone would have stopped to help me....well I hope they would have.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
XRQTR
TBA Customs

I actually stopped to take phone cam pics of one guy parked at the top of a hill on the down side, how's that for sneaky, well needless to say he started packing up as soon as he realised what I was doing.

But ye anywhere in the Western suburbs of melbourne keep a look out for a green Rodeo with a canopy and a black Rav4, these 2 seem to do the rounds more often than most. It's the guy in the Rodeo that's the fink, I often see him around dips and anywhere the road might tend to travel downhill, and yes he was the one I was taking the pics of.

If you see any of them doing what you think is the wrong thing get your phone cam out and take pics, see how they like it, if they have a go at you record it and forward it on to their superior. Also send any pics of them doing the wrong thing to their superior as well as any regulatory body (if their is one), these guys aren't doing us any favors so why should we do them any, maybe send it on to the state opposition, they always love a good reason for a "spirited debate". Especially the guys parked over the walkways and foot paths, this is a health and safety issue particularly for kids and the elderly who may have to walk around them on the road side and risk being hit by a vehicle.

Let the pic wars begin :
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once saw a camera vehicle parked on the footpath. I stopped and started taking photos. A cop jumped out and asked what I was doing. I told him I was taking photos of an illegaly parked vehicle and was going to forward them to the police minister. He packed up and left and I found out later through police contacts that all photos taken from that vehicle that day were deleted "due to camera malfunction".
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
I actually stopped to take phone cam pics of one guy parked at the top of a hill on the down side, how's that for sneaky, well needless to say he started packing up as soon as he realised what I was doing.:
? what is wrong with having the camera on a downhill part of the road, think carefully before answering.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbirdie
? what is wrong with having the camera on a downhill part of the road, think carefully before answering.
Hey! I just noticed something. Do you only come on here to pick fights? It's just every thread you post in, you whinge and nitpick and don't really contribute...just a thought..think carefully before answering!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
and don't really contribute...just a thought!
Really, if an opinion or thought differs from the mainstream here, its not contributing?
Or was this thread only for those that have negative things to say about the police, speed cameras etc?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

No, opinion and input is welcomed in this forum. Yours is very rarely constructive and often negative or critical of other users. I won't reply to your next comment, but one glance at your reputation should answer any questions you might have..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly it appears to be the society we are living in, that has let the powers that be rob us blind with such back handed tactics.

I am sure that every member on here would agree that the sight of visible and marked law enforcement slows people down. This hidden camera garbage has proven to do nothing except raise revenue, an issue I have taken issue with and proven time and time again with my local member for federal parliament in both NSW and QLD.

I believe that in Britain and in other European countries, the population has begun a revolt against speed cameras, both fixed and mobile and is having some effect in telling their elected leaders, that what they are doing does not reflect the will of their population.

I have been lucky (if you can call it that) to have never recieved a speeding fine, but have been given two parking tickets that I have fought and won based on the fact the tickets were unlawfully issued. Going to court to fight for my rights as a citizen was embarrassing and inconvenient, but thats of no concern to the people who go around flaunting their authority on the public.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #23
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good old NSW.

3 big, wait make that gigantic, signs before a speed camera
Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast the signs are a preventetive measure which in my book is much more effective then there being No camera's.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
terri tx

Quote:
Really, if an opinion or thought differs from the mainstream here, its not contributing?
Or was this thread only for those that have negative things to say about the police, speed cameras etc?
their right, you just pick fights.
Ssshhhh, you better hurry, I can hear an ice cap melting.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I was once driving down childs road (after getting off plenty road) and in the middle medium strip (grass area) there was a camera car facing me... right around the corner, by the time you got around the corner, you would done speeding before you could blink.

thankfully, i wasn't speeding, because we all know 1KM/h over the limit will kill an entire family.

i moderate my speed to suit the conditions, exceeding or not, obviously speed signs are the absolute maximum legally allowed to be driven on that stretch of road, for all conditions.

The old farts are just hanging on the road, no wonder :P
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #27
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:

Perhaps when you learn to use common sense you will not need to ask silly questions.

First of all there is a maximum angle of descent where cameras can't be used, secondly and regardless of any maximum angle, we all know that a cars speed will creep up a couple of km's where the road dips.

you keeping up so far??

now had this been on the top on the up side of the hill, no problem as most cars would probably be doing between 5-10 km/h less than the prescribed speed.

not going to fast for you am I??

So, in conclusion, it's far easier to "trap" yes that's right I used the "t" word here, an unsuspecting motorist whilst their car gains speed slightly rather than being a deterant on the other side. This is a quiet suburban street where very little speeding actually occurs, oops, my mistake, the speed demons come there to see how quickly they can go downhill.

If you have any further questions don't bother as you're obviously a traffic cop/inspector god forbid you're a parking inspector, in which case I have the linch mob at the ready, who has very little else to do but find arguments over minor matters, as has been mentioned by other members, other "long standing" members I might add that actually contribute to these forums in a constructive manner.

So how about you think before asking another ridiculous question.

Have a nice day :
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #28
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ummmmmmmmm the fact it is illegal for a speed camera to be set up at the bottom of a hill (at least here in vic )

my other comment here is best said by the below pic

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Hmmm.. I see that my point was not made in vain. My argument also xrqtor, but I think you delivered it better than I did. Hopefully the petty fights and nitpicking stops now.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Perhaps when you learn to use common sense you will not need to ask silly questions.

First of all there is a maximum angle of descent where cameras can't be used, secondly and regardless of any maximum angle, we all know that a cars speed will creep up a couple of km's where the road dips.

you keeping up so far??

now had this been on the top on the up side of the hill, no problem as most cars would probably be doing between 5-10 km/h less than the prescribed speed.

not going to fast for you am I??

So, in conclusion, it's far easier to "trap" yes that's right I used the "t" word here, an unsuspecting motorist whilst their car gains speed slightly rather than being a deterant on the other side. This is a quiet suburban street where very little speeding actually occurs, oops, my mistake, the speed demons come there to see how quickly they can go downhill.

If you have any further questions don't bother as you're obviously a traffic cop/inspector god forbid you're a parking inspector, in which case I have the linch mob at the ready, who has very little else to do but find arguments over minor matters, as has been mentioned by other members, other "long standing" members I might add that actually contribute to these forums in a constructive manner.

So how about you think before asking another ridiculous question.

Have a nice day :
Cars speed up going down hills, thanks for that, but Im puzzled as to why we shouldnt enforce speed limits down hills. If we can get pinned for doing 65km/h in a 60km/h zone on the flat why not on a downhill section where it is inherently more difficult to stop and manoeuvre.

Going downhill increases stopping distance markedly for the same speed, a gradient of only 5 degrees will increase stopping distances by 12%. Hardly a reason to justify larger speeds on downhill sections.

Certainly, most are strong advocates for driver concentration and attention.....if a driver doesnt notice they are going down an incline , they really need help(an inclinometer perhaps) or perhaps shouldnt have got a licence in the 1st place.

no speed cameras at bottom of hills, if they can put pedestrian crossings and intersections there, why not.
Closed Thread