Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
josh79
Starter Motor

Default Radar/Laser detectors

Hey All

Just wondering whats the best laser/radar detectors avialable on the market these days is it still the valentine 1? or any other recommendations?

Cheers

josh79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Read the page below first dude

http://www.australianradar.com.au/news.htm
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh79
Hey All

Just wondering whats the best laser/radar detectors avialable on the market these days is it still the valentine 1? or any other recommendations?

Cheers
The V1 is still the best detector out there. Even does a decent job picking up laser scatter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgIHZPLWgAk

I got mine from these guys...
http://www.dontgetcaught.com.au/home.html

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
josh79
Starter Motor

i been learning towards the valentine one but radarshop in morely reckons the whistler pro 78(www.radars.com.au) is just as good anyone had much experience with laser jammers as in the GF100(or any other model) they are selling or are they a bit of a gimmick
josh79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
htrdmstng

IMO all radar/laser detectors are useless. Doesn't matter if they are legal or not in your area usually by the time they go off and you react your caught anyways, especially at higher speeds.
htrdmstng is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by htrdmstng
IMO all radar/laser detectors are useless. Doesn't matter if they are legal or not in your area usually by the time they go off and you react your caught anyways, especially at higher speeds.
When you live is a country that will fine you for travelling 2 MPH over the speed limit, where every state except 2 is bigger than Texas and uses speed cameras as a form of taxation you will understand.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
htrdmstng

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
When you live is a country that will fine you for travelling 2 MPH over the speed limit, where every state except 2 is bigger than Texas and uses speed cameras as a form of taxation you will understand.
I can see where they might help as far as speed cameras go but still useless to me. If you like driving fast you should come to Salt Lake City. The speed limit on I-15 is 65mph most people drive 80, If you get caught driving 65 in the fast lane you get ticketed for obstruction of traffic.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
I don't think you could have ever used one. Car mounted radars on country roads are sometimes picked up many kilometres away.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can see where they might help as far as speed cameras go but still useless to me. If you like driving fast you should come to Salt Lake City. The speed limit on I-15 is 65mph most people drive 80, If you get caught driving 65 in the fast lane you get ticketed for obstruction of traffic.
No I will have an accident, you all drive on the wrong side of the road....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
htrdmstng

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I don't think you could have ever used one. Car mounted radars on country roads are sometimes picked up many kilometres away.
I have had plenty of experience with them still got pulled over 90 percent of the time. I gave up on them when they came out with laser.

The cops in my area would leave their radar switch off until you were in range then switch it on and check your speed.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
I have had plenty of experience with them still got pulled over 90 percent of the time. I gave up on them when they came out with laser.

The cops in my area would leave their radar switch off until you were in range then switch it on and check your speed.
Generally they are not that clever here. Although I do agree nothing will save you from Laser.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

so who thinks its worth the $900? that being said ive only ever been flashed once and it was for 12kmph over, rolling down a hill in nuetral... but i do exceed the legal speed limit most days at 3am on the way to work.... sneaky buggers have started setting cameras at that hour..

Check your bible; it say’s - if thou is to fit forced induction via supercharging to a performance car, then it is right and good that this supercharger be heard.
TOM-CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you get popped at the bottom of a hill cause you don't have cruise control and the speed creeps up on you come see me tomcat

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Generally they are not that clever here. Although I do agree nothing will save you from Laser.
Don't be so sure... after your post they will be !
Being public forum I find it hard to believe that a Mole doesn't exist.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah iv got the latest Bell STI-XR, Got done by a car mounted Laser as he came round a bend few weeks ago 125 in a 110 zone, With these you basically need to be on the brakes as the detector goes off, i wasn't!!.

On the plus side i new i was done. by the time he had tuned around. I had stopped had my license out the window, was sipping on my choc chill. said morning officer ya pinged me at 125 right LOL.

Thou it did save me about 2 hours latter as i was overtakeing a truck and caravan and there was a Radar hidden in the trees up ahead that would have been bout 145 in a 110 zone.

The Myth spread by the Road safety groups and government that a Radar detector let's you get away with speeding is just that a myth.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
mcnews
Trev

The Safety Wanring System also built into the detectors also works, alerts you to ambulance on road etc. I remember once in the hills north of perth the emergency vehicle warning went off and made me back right off and lo and behold round the next corner was an ambulance blocking half the road.... Probably more valuable than any speeding fine the detector ever saved me from.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Safety Wanring System also built into the detectors also works, alerts you to ambulance on road etc. I remember once in the hills north of perth the emergency vehicle warning went off and made me back right off and lo and behold round the next corner was an ambulance blocking half the road.... Probably more valuable than any speeding fine the detector ever saved me from.

Yeah true that, That system is very valuable!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
IAM58L

Quote:

In NSW they are this is how police radar is operated, only released when a target vehicle is selected. Which means unless you have some traffic for them to shoot radar at some distance in front of you your detector won't go off until they shoot it at you. Then you can bet if you hit the brakes when the radar hits you chances are your going to get stopped for a search. Another trick the highway patrol do is set the radar off as they approach the crest of a hill as it picks up traffic that can't be seen.

In saying that I think radar detectors just even things up considering how police hide on the roadside. Another plus as has been said is the warning systems built into modern radars for roadworks and ambulances.

With Laser they have your speed almost instantly so your pretty much stuffed.

I remember reading somewhere about using the radar units off auto doors to jam police radar as they run the same frequency, probably a load of b/s I know they set a detector off.

So worth $900 ? well it depends on how much you want to speed by as you gotta be able to slow down to the speed limit when it goes, off in saying that it won't take long for it to pay for itself in saved tickets. I'd go with a Bel STI for its undectability which is nice in a country where they are illegal to have in a car plugged in or not.
IAM58L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

best radar/lidar/speed camera van/ambulance detector looks like this:
Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Is this the 'CAUTION' notification on the Bel STI XR? Whats the point of ambulances emitting this signal if all of us *law-abiding* road users don't have detectors?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #21
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
when you get popped at the bottom of a hill cause you don't have cruise control and the speed creeps up on you come see me tomcat
sorry, i don't quite understand what you mean?

Check your bible; it say’s - if thou is to fit forced induction via supercharging to a performance car, then it is right and good that this supercharger be heard.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM-CAT
sorry, i don't quite understand what you mean?
ok mate I have been hit with speeding fines of maybe 4-5 km over the limit at the base of a big hill on the highway, as the speed creeps up as your car rolls down the hill, if you crest the hill at the limit to maintain the limit you have to brake, taking your foot off the accel is not enough to keep you below the posted speed limit, so pow speed fine issued by a hidden vehicle, that stretch of road is getting so bad for fines lately that driving down there has become dangerous with cars lightly braking as they drive down said hill, throw a truck or two into this mix and things get scary - real scary

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #23
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was driving on the 101 in California, doing 70MPH in the 65 zone. Was passed by a cop car. Scared the bejesus out of me as I didn't see it coming and thought I would be picked up. I was just keeping up with traffic at that speed.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I was passed by a RV towing a 4wd while doing 70mph on th 101 in California !!

My $900.00 Bell detector has probably paid for itself now, and I do not speed everywhere. Just the 2-3kmh thing that costs you dollars.

Brilliant for KA Band - Mutinovas and with all the other noises it makes you seem to check your speed more often.

Useless for laser alert, and I do not quite understand POP alert.
And the pre warning for emergency vehicles and roadworks is ok too. This alert system should be picked up by som GPS and maybe digital radio when they make there way into cars I reckon.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #25
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
ok mate I have been hit with speeding fines of maybe 4-5 km over the limit at the base of a big hill on the highway, as the speed creeps up as your car rolls down the hill, if you crest the hill at the limit to maintain the limit you have to brake, taking your foot off the accel is not enough to keep you below the posted speed limit, so pow speed fine issued by a hidden vehicle, that stretch of road is getting so bad for fines lately that driving down there has become dangerous with cars lightly braking as they drive down said hill, throw a truck or two into this mix and things get scary - real scary
heh i see what you mean, that is essentially exactly what happened... anyone who has driven down Greenmount hill (gt eastern highway) will know what i mean.