Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
Late braker

Default No more Aussie cars- starting to really notice it

So I’m sitting in a bunch of traffic at the lights and just looking blankly around in the zombiefied way you do waiting to go and it is gradually becoming more apparent to me- I’m completely surrounded by Japanese, Korean and Chinese vehicles. I’m the only one in a group of 10-20 cars in either direction in an Aussie-made car. And it’s only increasing (obviously…) I’m kind of proud about it actually. I even got a compliment recently from the console operator at a servo. Made me feel quite good.
Anyone else “feeling it”? (lol Toyota…)
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2022, 11:51 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: No more Aussie cars- starting to really notice it

How good is it when you see the mighty 'Victorian Taxi Yellow' Falcon getting around Melbourne suburbia without its taxi stickering, you just know its on its 9th owner and its been around the clock three times already.

Reminds you of the good ol' days when cars were reasonably priced, trayback utes did 0-100 faster than 20 seconds and even though they had leaf springs on the rear they didn't make you feel like you need new kidneys every time you drove it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #3
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
How good is it when you see the mighty 'Victorian Taxi Yellow' Falcon getting around Melbourne suburbia without its taxi stickering, you just know its on its 9th owner and its been around the clock three times already.

Reminds you of the good ol' days when cars were reasonably priced, trayback utes did 0-100 faster than 20 seconds and even though they had leaf springs on the rear they didn't make you feel like you need new kidneys every time you drove it.
We have an Indian guy at my work in S.A , just moved down from Melbourne in his yellow ex taxi G6E 900+ kms on the clock. Runs like a dream.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 12:38 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Still plenty of B-Series on DCOA.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This Falcon @2.21mins. comes to mind. (but FG)

I see a skinny Franco making an appearance down at the mall.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The age of b series means their owners are at peak meth.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Still plenty of Aussie built cars up here in Brisbane/Ipswich. Not nearly as many, but yes there are less and less. I really love seeing the Falcons/commodores/Territorys that are in really good condition getting around as they look as good as their newer and more modern counterparts when looked after.

I'm really grateful to have 2 turbo charged Aussie icons in the fleet!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It hit home to me when looking to replace the present car because I concluded that there wasn't anything else that held any appeal to me in the sub $100k price bracket and frankly, the FGII XR6 EcoLPi is a hard act to follow anyway given the combination of performance and economy and it makes me sad to realise we got all that for under $40k drive-away.

It is now the oldest daily driver I've had since I was a teenager and the new car I've put the most mileage on at 165k. It's running costs are impressive.

Across the 8 years of ownership it's averaged a fuel cost of 7.9 cents / km and even with the current LPG prices it's still 12.7 c/km this year so far;
Dealer servicing has added 2.613 c/km;
Other servicing has added 0.781 c/km (wheel alignment, battery, rotors/pads etc);
Tyres have added 1.76 c/km which includes 2 that were destroyed and 2 that were out of round;
Other repairs have added 3.42 c/km but that includes replacing 1 new alloy rim after a pothole destroyed it and a tyre, rolling another rim after a similar incident and twice replacing the ICC screen after battery failures killed it. Excluding those it's 1.67 c/km to (1) replace control blade bushes (2) replace diff bushes (3) replace centre bearing and (4) replace the A/C supply pipes after they were worn through by a hose rubbing on them.

So, excluding the 'abnormal' items and the preventative maintenance (replacement of the trans cooler), it's been a fraction over 7 cents a kilometre in non fuel running costs which added to the fuel costs is 15 cents a kilometre.

It makes an interesting comparison with the other daily in the garage which is a 3.0L V6 Turbo-diesel van bought in the same year. It's done ~20k less but the fuel cost has averaged 13.01 cents per km (and it's just over 20 cents this year), servicing and repairs 3.68 c/km and tyres 2.06 c/km although one set were destroyed after a bad wheel alignment. so the total is 18.75 cents / km. Thus despite the almost double fuel cost and much higher dealer service hourly rates, the lack of non scheduled repairs (it's only needed a DPF sensor replaced) and 30k km service intervals have pretty much balanced it out.

I'm going to keep looking for a low mileage FG-X EcoLPi and pay whatever it costs.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

My parts of regular travel to work and back like today, the daily is in for service so its jump in the Sprint, I'm like the only Falcon I see each time I'm in it and so proud of it !
Always notice some people trying to figure out what it is or a thumbs up from those in the know.
Yes russellw what bang for buck our Falcons were.
I'm having to shift the daily "23 at that 100k figure and I struggle to decide what to jump into next, IF there was a new Falc FGX11 like a GT I wouldn't even blink an eye put my money down whereas its a euro that really doesn't suit my needs even though they drive great or a thai special more so a new Amarok.
Both just don't jizz me like a new model Falc.

Roads full of Jap/Korean/Euro SUV's its all become same same and EV's just don't bring my calling.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
My parts of regular travel to work and back like today, the daily is in for service so its jump in the Sprint, I'm like the only Falcon I see each time I'm in it and so proud of it !
Always notice some people trying to figure out what it is or a thumbs up from those in the know.
Yes russellw what bang for buck our Falcons were.
I'm having to shift the daily "23 at that 100k figure and I struggle to decide what to jump into next, IF there was a new Falc FGX11 like a GT I wouldn't even blink an eye put my money down whereas its a euro that really doesn't suit my needs even though they drive great or a thai special more so a new Amarok.
Both just don't jizz me like a new model Falc.

Roads full of Jap/Korean/Euro SUV's its all become same same and EV's just don't bring my calling.
Whilst i only have an XR6T, i sometimes think about selling it. 1 because its unused 2 it'd be a good chunk off the mortgage if i sold it.
Would i regret it? Probably.
But every time i jump in it, it brings a smile to my dial, what ever i replaced it with just wouldnt (It'd be a cheap run about)
Missus has a new Tuscon, whilst i love the ease of driving it and we use that mostly, its good to get the yoot out from time to time. Although i can hardly hear her at highway speeds if she is in it to

I too also appreciate seeing a nice falcon when i see one, and i can almost extend that to a nice late model commodore too.
They are only going to become even fewer on the roads as the years go on
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #11
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today is the 13th anniversary of our Territory. It still looks good amongst the convoluted curves and weird shapes of the latest model cars from places that are not Australia.
I am happy that I do not need a new car, as the days of walking into a Ford or Holden showroom and seeing something that I just had to buy are gone.
There is nothing that gets me envious. If I see something that does look interesting, the interest wanes when I find out it has a tiny engine, DCT, and a bewildering connectivity with annoying 'safety' driving aids, that take the pleasure out of driving.

Only have to visit the local supermarket, or Bunnings, car park to notice that Australian built cars are in the minority, completely outnumbered by SUVs and dual cabs.
And the worst aspect is that the majority of younger drivers don't care.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 11:02 AM   #12
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday I visited local sand and metal place, and guy jumped out the dozer and ran over to me yelling something about blocks.
?
As he got closer "You should have that in a shed on blocks".
Was surprised Im driving it around. A BA ute (xr8).
Really?, as I load the back with rubble and sand.
He has one too, gets to use it 25 days a year with his rego/insure conditions
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #13
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who reckons locally manufactured Holdens will make a comeback one day ? GM has zero presence in Australia apart from gmsv. surely they cant stay away forever

I can see locally manufactered small car/small medium suvs/ and evs under the Holden badge thriving in this market if done correctly
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #14
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late braker View Post
So I’m sitting in a bunch of traffic at the lights and just looking blankly around in the zombiefied way you do waiting to go and it is gradually becoming more apparent to me- I’m completely surrounded by Japanese, Korean and Chinese vehicles. I’m the only one in a group of 10-20 cars in either direction in an Aussie-made car. And it’s only increasing (obviously…) I’m kind of proud about it actually. I even got a compliment recently from the console operator at a servo. Made me feel quite good.
Anyone else “feeling it”? (lol Toyota…)
I spose since new models are not being made the natural cycle of cars is occurring, either written off, not driven, first cars, etc etc making less of them on the road

Falcon ended 6 years ago
real Commodore ended 5 years ago
Magna 17 years ago
Aurion 17 years ago
Old 30-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Who reckons locally manufactured Holdens will make a comeback one day ? GM has zero presence in Australia apart from gmsv. surely they cant stay away forever

I can see locally manufactered small car/small medium suvs/ and evs under the Holden badge thriving in this market if done correctly
GM?
sorry zero chance to all of the above.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Yesterday I visited local sand and metal place, and guy jumped out the dozer and ran over to me yelling something about blocks.
?
As he got closer "You should have that in a shed on blocks".
Was surprised Im driving it around. A BA ute (xr8).
Really?, as I load the back with rubble and sand.
He has one too, gets to use it 25 days a year with his rego/insure conditions
How dare you use an older car for its intended purpose. Yeah, I get the "its to good to drive into the quarry."

and proudly flying our flag.

Old 30-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi

Beyond zero. GM have pulled all resources except for North America and China. They have next to zero presence anywhere else, nor do they care to.

Living in geelong there are falcons and territories everywhere. Might be a few more years before their presence drops to a noticeable degree.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8 View Post
living in geelong there are stolen falcons and territories everywhere. Might be a few more years before the police presence drops to a noticeable degree.
efa..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #19
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife has a Aurion so it's Aussie built.

I have a Full Japan built import.

But yes I feel sorry to see the rubbish like China made cars around here it's like a wild fire.

Nothing that inspires me to be a mechanic nowadays.

In fact I was thinking what would I buy new nowadays, and I can not think of one car truly that I would desire, for me. other than being stupid and thinking I won a million Dollars.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #20
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post

Only way that will happen is if GM 'Merica sell the name to a Chinese company which will then import them into Oz.
An electric Chinese Holden should sell here as good as a 3 day old chicken sanger.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 01:36 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Only way that will happen is if GM 'Merica sell the name to a Chinese company which will then import them into Oz.
An electric Chinese Holden should sell here as good as a 3 day old chicken sanger.
Couldn't possibly be worse than the Chevy Volt
Old 30-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #22
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pipe dreams. No manufacturer is going to set up in Australia in the foreseeable future.

High wages, Govt oncosts (at 3 levels) & now insane Green energy costs. It's not going to happen in our lifetime.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Beyond zero. GM have pulled all resources except for North America and China. They have next to zero presence anywhere else, nor do they care to.

I see they ditched the Korean Daewoo's if they couldn't get the success that Hyundai & Kia have had over there then their future must be bleak.
Old 30-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #24
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

roKwiz, I expect you sweep it out/vacuum before putting the matress back in for Saturday nights use !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
roKwiz, I expect you sweep it out/vacuum before putting the matress back in for Saturday nights use !
Vacuum, whats that.
Nah, I have a zero gravity button, "Similar to an Astronaut in space".

3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #26
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pulled up at a servo in the G6e T recently and had an elderly gentleman come over and asked me what sort of Ford this was.. When I informed him it was one of the last Australian built Falcons built he couldn’t believe it. He thought it was European.
In saying that they have aged so gracefully imo..
Old 30-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #27
.:4:.
Kicking back

Interistingly sort of. 2015 or so, christmas eve i was at the servo in a mk2 fg ecoboost, done with fuel but bonnet up to do the washer bottle. A bloke rocked up in a 79 LTD. So a us import one. So 2 door, left hook. I was geeking out on his car. 460 big block, mini tubbed real sweet. He was way more interested in the 4 cylinder falcon.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #28
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No more Aussie cars- starting to really notice it

It’s funny, I’ve been daily driving my ssv redline since I bought it new in 2017 and you can certainly see them disappear little by little… I get comments on my car all the time, and there is a bloke in my estate with an FGX XR8 who I’ve never spoken to, but we give each other a wave when we pass each other in the road, I think there is a certain kinship between those of us who love our Aussie performance sedans and keep them on the road…. whether they are blue oval or the lion….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #29
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My kiwi mate who drives an FG in Nz was over at our place on the Gold Coast recently.
He really noticed the lack of Ford Aus and GMH locally built cars on the Gold Coast.
I still think there is a lot in the outer suburbs of greater Brisbane but they are thin on the ground on the GC.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #30
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Gm have nothing in australia to sell. The Chinese don’t need to buy anything off of them to succeed.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz