Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 26-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #31
F6T
Has V8 envy

With this latest outage, I actually got some work done, spent more time with my wife and little girl and practiced the piano.

Thanks ALOT to all involved....seriously.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #32
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Thanks a lot for all the hard work admin team etc, very appreciated by me and all other FF members.

60 hours felt like 60 days.

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #33
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Thanks for all the efforts guys. I can now have some sanity back...

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #34
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Great work guy's, and such a huge effort to get the site back up deserves an huge applause.

I was having withdrawal symptoms for a while there.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Thank Christ (and the team) for that. I was actually forced to do some work at work the past couple of days.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #36
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Thanks as usual to the Admin Team & Mods, much appreciated, much.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #37
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

As a windows server admin I am positively apopletic that your techs (hosting company?) should have ever let such a cluster of failures occur.

Good job AFF Admin team, as I know from first hand experience how frustratingly difficult it is to try and recover a server from a mish-mash of failed assurances by people entrusted to the aspects of correct server maintenance.
Old 26-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #38
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I actually had to pay attention at work, toilet breaks where boring and less frequent...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #39
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Thanks very much to all involved in the return of this great forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Life has been sadly boring without AFF, which really means i have bigger issues i guess
Sadly, I was thinking exactly the same thing lol
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #40
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Ok call me an idiot, but is this a maintenance thing that is out of our hands or a situation we can actually grab by the scruff of the neck?

We have 49,455 members yeah?
And on average we get 800 odd viewing /posting of a night??

So what if all those that could actually contribute, chucked in $1000 instead of DM token membership?

Hear me out... those that according to recent posts couldn't actually live without their AFF fix , put their money where their fingers are..

I,m not rich by any means , but if it helps avoid what we just went through- lets stand up and be counted as a team !

Ooorah!!

I for one would appreciate your thoughts Russ ....
Daz....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #41
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was a little frustrating not being able to get on lol. but not as frustrating as the time u guys had fix this mess all up... looks like a good effet now crack a beer and relax lol and thx for geting things back up and running
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #42
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Ok call me an idiot, but is this a maintenance thing that is out of our hands or a situation we can actually grab by the scruff of the neck?

We have 49,455 members yeah?
And on average we get 800 odd viewing /posting of a night??

So what if all those that could actually contribute, chucked in $1000 instead of DM token membership?

Hear me out... those that according to recent posts couldn't actually live without their AFF fix , put their money where their fingers are..

I,m not rich by any means , but if it helps avoid what we just went through- lets stand up and be counted as a team !

Ooorah!!

I for one would appreciate your thoughts Russ ....
Daz....
That's a mortgage payment or two for some, half a months wage for me and a lot of money for those who are well off, regardless of financial status now.
I appreciate your passion for aff(I love it like I love beer) but I donate money that I can afford, 1000$ is a fortune for me and I don't think that it would be necessary for the site, even though I'm sure the money would be appreciated!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #43
Mad Maxine

I'd be asking some questions about the professionalism of your server provider (sure you already have done that, though, and possibly taught them a few Aussie swear words at the same time). Anyway, it has prompted me to donate, if nothing else, it might help if everyone chipped in their preferred amount now so the Admins can actually see how much we all appreciate their work.

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #44
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol iggypoppin im the same i cant see y any one pay $1000 for a fourm lol u can buy your own server tower and run it ya self for that kind of $$$ pluss this fourm has adds and sponcers so i cant see them being too much out of pocket. hard drives fail, nothing u can do about it. i think the guys did a good job salvaging every thing like they did.
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #45
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Russell has given you all the technical lowdown on what has occurred this week but there is a huge personal story too.

There is no special admin team that sorts this side of things but one man who tirelessly spends hours/days in front of a computer screen calmly (yes, he rarely loses his rag) trying to make it a great place for you all to visit. We were very lucky to have already hooked up with Chris who stepped up to the plate the moment Russ contacted him and these two men have performed what we thought yesterday was going to be impossible. This was no simple fix and it has been quite a distressing week.

Russell has had about 3 hours sleep since the outage was discovered and has worked around the clock sacrificing everything else in his life. You could not find a 'leader' as dedicated and self sacrificing with a love for this Forum, that some may find hard to imagine.

I am full of admiration and pride sweetheart.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #46
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Ah yes Murphy.... nasty bloke - I call for him to be banned from the site from now on.

Russ, any one of those issues could be seen as unlucky - having 3 issues plus the stupidity of a couple of yanks... that in my book equates to a large amount of swearing, late nights, early mornings, sore eyes and an aching head.

Some will struggle to understand the depths of hell you guys will have gone through - Thank you does not seem to cover it, but it's all that I can think of.

As for Daz's thoughts. I understand where you are coming from, but restricting the site to paid members only could see a massive drop in new members coming on.
I'm sure the Admin team would not turn away a donation of any kind or amount, but in the same breath they would not want to see the growth slow (or even stop) by implementing a payment system.

Anyway - I raise my glass to you Russ.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #47
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

i didnt realize how much i miss the AFF until i couldnt have it. it went down when i really needed ford advice the week before too. was quite agonising.

This is a mammoth sponge of information, and all members are truely grateful for the enormous salvage work you have just about completed.

thanks
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #48
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The hosted sites (aufalcon/b-series/ozecruisers) should all be up and working now. Haven't tested them thoroughly so if there are any issues then let me know.

We already had plans in place after the relocation to install a new server of our own and we will be doing this but even though that server is configured with a high degree of redundancy, there is no escaping the risks associated with a situation like this one where the whole thing turns pear shaped.

The cost of running a forum of this nature is high, we use extensive quantities of high speed bandwidth and one of the things that will be reviewed as part of this process is the financial structure.

We are supported by a loyal sponsor base and our 190 Donating Members and this has been sufficient to meet our hosting costs, licensing costs as well as support our events.

We had saved enough over the last couple of years to spend the almost $20,000 to buy and build the new server and one of the things we will be doing is looking at options for external back-up on top of the RAID array, hot spare disks and tape drive that box is configured with. These things all incur a cost and (as always) it will be a balancing act between what we'd really like and what is financially viable.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yes the myth that IT is based on logic is again dispelled. Putting HDD's in the freezer will sometimes restore them long enough to pull data from, not that this info really helps right now.

thanks to all anyway, i did go slightly (more) mad in the site's absence
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #50
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, I had to say more than the cursory "hello" to the missus for 2 whole days. Anyhoo I'm not one for bigger avatars or space etc but I would like to thank the boys so i theres an address I can have a couple of cartons sent to then PM me and it will be done. Thanks again guys.
Old 27-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #51
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Russ and Chris (cs123) thank-you very much, hope you both get a good sleep in..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #52
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

well, it's been an interesting few days.

Those members that have worked in IT production support would have some idea of how fickle the IT gods can be sometimes. What happened was back luck x 3.

In the end I think Russell willed it back into existence.

There has been some positives too. We now know what is required to further improve recoverability of the site.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #53
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Well done Russ, I'd give you a rep point, but you have to many already ya greedy bugger !!
Old 27-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #54
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done guys. Stellar effort by all involved. Not only Russ and cs123, but their family supporting them in the background as well. Great effort all.
Cheers,
Sam.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #55
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Russell has had about 3 hours sleep since the outage was discovered and has worked around the clock sacrificing everything else in his life. You could not find a 'leader' as dedicated and self sacrificing with a love for this Forum, that some may find hard to imagine.
That's dedication and it is awesome to know that the people running the show are as dedicated as the users, and sacrifice like this to get us all back up and running again. Thanks Russell, and Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The hosted sites (aufalcon/b-series/ozecruisers) should all be up and working now. Haven't tested them thoroughly so if there are any issues then let me know.
aufalcon.com domain still hasn't been returned to us, we still need to go to aufalcon.com.au to get there. I think it was Casper in the aufalcon.com section was working on this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
Putting HDD's in the freezer will sometimes restore them long enough to pull data from, not that this info really helps right now.
I don't think I've ever heard that one, but if you're serious, that 500gigger that doesn't want to work any more is going straight in there, see if I can recover some lost downloads!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #56
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
yes the myth that IT is based on logic is again dispelled. Putting HDD's in the freezer will sometimes restore them long enough to pull data from, not that this info really helps right now.
Hard disks are like pot plants. You must speak to them in a soothing voice, and never yell.

http://videosift.com/video/Why-not-t...our-disk-array
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #57
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't pretend to understand 99% of that but do understand the trmendous efforts by all concerned especially Russell & Chris , a heartfelt and sincere thanks to you all . Evidently some time in the past I had become a father again , see there is some advantage in this outage .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #58
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. There must be times with this forum when Russell thinks he has had his path crossed by a black cat on Friday the 13th as he stepped under a ladder and yet he bounces back better than ever. Congrats to the IT team. MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #59
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think in apreciation for the work that cs123 has done over the last few days he should have a contributing member tag under his name not just the donating member

Thoughts on this one ?

Jason

p.s thanks guys and i am still thinking of something that the member base here can do as a thankyou thing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #60
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I am so glad that you posted in here cs123. Thank you for all your hard efforts and the time you have put in helping Russellw get the site back up and running.

Some well deserved and earned rep points have come your way

Cheers
Coll