Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Thumbs up AUII XR key supplied,cut and coded - CHEAP !!!

Good news guys , a bloke at the Dandenong Market cuts keys for the xr's and codes the key to for $70 !!! , thats key - key cut - and coded !!! - complete for $70 . He has a white van and is there on tuesdays and fridays only. I think it's the cheapest i have found so far by a mile . :evilsasmo

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Good news guys , a bloke at the Dandenong Market cuts keys for the xr's and codes the key to for $70 !!! , thats key - key cut - and coded !!! - complete for $70 . He has a white van and is there on tuesdays and fridays only. I think it's the cheapest i have found so far by a mile . :evilsasmo
Sooooo.............I go to the Dandenong Market & look for a white van????
Seriously though, is this person inside (in an undercover isle), outside (undercover), or does he operate a stand (ie:keycutting etc), sounds like a good price but you don't say whether you have had this done. I don't mean to sound condescending but some of the people who operate within the market enviornment are pretty dodgy, especially at Dandenong!!! :
Old 17-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah im aware of dodgys , and no he aint dodgy , he is there each week and has been for a while , i only just realised how cheap he was though when i enquired him about a key a few days ago , for $70 i couldn't resist , i got 1 cut , works no problems . I did note thay are not genuine ford keys though , where the ford label is usually stamped into the plastic at the top of the key - there is just N153 stamped into it ( i gather its just a part/key number ). He works from inside his van , he is outside right next to entrance to the undercover part / dandenong library side / actually inside the market / not parked in a carpark or nothing like that, there is another old couple there that cut keys too (near the veggie market outside), they didn't do the Au keys and they actually told me to go see him for it , nice of them .
But as said he is only there on tuesdays and fridays.

Old 17-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. BTW, did you ask a Ford dealer to do it, if so what was their price? I remember asking a locksmith for a price (was having some spare housekeys cut) & he looked at my key & said "only Ford can do it" & stated he'd heard @$150 was their price?? :jab:
Old 17-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did he need your car to code the key? How long did it take? How did he do it? Did you watch?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
peterban
AULTD

Also interested, as Ford want the car if you only have 1 key.
I thought you need 2 original keys to program the 3rd into the system.
Did you need to do anything else with the key after he programmed it or did it just start the car.
City Ford want $90 just for programming it if you already have the key cut, but want the car as well for an hour
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds a bit fishy to me.... Considering you need the other keys to be able to code it to your car.... how do you know he isn't creating dupes to use later....

Definately not a good move in my books
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Also interested, as Ford want the car if you only have 1 key.
I thought you need 2 original keys to program the 3rd into the system.

City Ford want $90 just for programming it if you already have the key cut, but want the car as well for an hour
Ford had my car for an hour.

Correct, having 2 coded keys allows you to add more yourself. The procedure's in the manual.

I only paid $50, $90 is getting stitched I reckon! Ring other dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Sounds a bit fishy to me.... Considering you need the other keys to be able to code it to your car.... how do you know he isn't creating dupes to use later....
Is that fish I can smell?

I hope he's above board, but that smell of fish is pretty strong.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Ok , to clear things up a bit , he is a propper registered locksmith , no more of a risk than any other locksmith doing it for ya ! . Besides my car is insured for $20,000 so if someone wants to take it for good then go ahead ..lol , but honestlly i think your as safe with that locksmith as any other. He was absolutelly flatout cutting keys and he disappeared into his van to code the new key - i only had to give him my 1 key ( its all i had anyway ) - i didn't have to give him anything else or any details.
I recon it was a great price as the cheapest i had found before this bloke was around $150 all up (for a propper coded '2nd' key ! ).
The 1 thing that was pointed out to me though is that the key is an IDENTICLE DUPLICATE of the key i give him , and that no other keys can be coded from my 2 keys ( my original 1 and the 1 he cut ) using the method described in the ford handbook for coding extra keys ! .... which didn't bother me anyway. So it sounds like it isn't like the keys ford code for you , they code it as another key so you can code 3rd or 4th keys yourself etc etc, the key he cut for me is like i now have 2x number 1 keys ... so i still have no differently coded 2nd key to be able to code my own keys. I haven't tried coding my own third key as i don't have a blank 3rd key , but i don't think i'll bother either , i believe what he told me is true and that it is an identicle duplicate , or personally i don't see how he could of done it myself either . All up I'm happy with what i got for $70, probably explains why its cheaper too - but hey - its a working second key cheap.

Old 18-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

How can someone code a key out of a van, did you start the car and let it run with the new key for a while? You do know that an uncoding key will start the car for a while but eventually shut down?

You need the Ford computer to retrain the new key for up to 20 minutes, how this dude can do that out of a van suprises me....
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
How can someone code a key out of a van, did you start the car and let it run with the new key for a while? You do know that an uncoding key will start the car for a while but eventually shut down?

You need the Ford computer to retrain the new key for up to 20 minutes, how this dude can do that out of a van suprises me....
they can. I had it done with my AU2. They diplicate the same code thats on the key you supply to them. I drove mine to noosa from sydney and it didnt cut out with that key. :
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Unless it's a generic backdoor code that he uses, hence why you can't re-code another key.... I wonder if it will start any other cars (more for 20 mins)....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Unless it's a generic backdoor code that he uses, hence why you can't re-code another key.... I wonder if it will start any other cars (more for 20 mins)....
I doubt if its a generic key , as he did need my key not only to cut another 1 but to code the new key aswell. From what i gather whatever device he was using inside his van is somehow just reading the original code and somehow programing it into the new key - hence - why its an identicle duplicate - and they reason why the ignition won't see it as 2 different keys if you try to reprogram your own 3rd or 4th key etc .

Old 18-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
........ and they reason why the ignition won't see it as 2 different keys if you try to reprogram your own 3rd or 4th key etc .
spot on.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
they can. I had it done with my AU2. They diplicate the same code thats on the key you supply to them. I drove mine to noosa from sydney and it didnt cut out with that key. :
No problems with mine either ;) .

Old 20-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
SIKXR8220

God looking at the drama and prices involved i'm glad i got 3 coded keys and remotes when i bought my car.
SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post