Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Sheesh the groceries are getting pretty crazy

Quote:
another good reason to not support Woolworth's.
But that would just help allow Cav to waste money on another fugly AU.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:31 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
You do know I'm joking, I eat chicken salad nearly every day for lunch, and a proper cooked meal each night, junk food is a sometimes meal, but it just goes to show that you can live off a smaller amount, if they can make your meal for $7, you should be able to as well, but be able to eat well too, my chicken salad would only be $5 tops.
I took your post as tongue & cheek, but honestly, I have come across some people doing what you stated, and they don't see the wrong in it.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 07:08 AM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Just wondering if it's the pets causing your high prices? pet food & associated gear can be expensive at times.
After this remark I costed the cat’s diet and scaled up to my own weight. He’d eat $42/day if he weighed the same as I do.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 08:30 AM   #34
HIPO
Al

........lol
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #35
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Just wondering if it's the pets causing your high prices? pet food & associated gear can be expensive at times.
Is it any surprise? People call their pets their fur babies, and will throw ridiculous amounts of money at them, both to buy, then to maintain them.

If you had asked someone 30 years ago if they thought they could make a living towing stupid fibreglass portaloos from house to house for washing dogs in, they'd have laughed. Now they're everywhere.

Things cost as much as people are willing to waste.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 05:39 PM   #36
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife and I do two to three big shops a year- excluding breads, fresh fruit and veg and dairy. We work out a bunch of stuff we like to eat and buy enough stuff to make it a few times, 5 fays a week. One night is take out night and one night is free for all. I’m into low and slow bbq so we also cook a bunch up and vac seal it

So we buy in bulk. Costco, Campbells Cash and Carry, IGA, Coles, Woolies, Aldi, we compare prices between all of them and buy from where we need to. Costco is pretty great for meat, and Amazon can be pretty decent too for groceries.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2024, 07:05 PM   #37
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me and the wife went down to the local for a couple of beef schnittys last night.
I went parmi, so prob an extra couple of dollars there and she had a pepper sauce. But we both wanted veg instead of salad and that cost us an extra $4 ea (carrot undercooked too). Never had to pay for veg option before.

2 schnittys, pint of beer and a cider for her, $86!!

Wow.
And we werent in the nice bistro area either, we sat out the back in the sportsbar with all the TABpeeps. I was more disapppinted than mad, thats ridiculous (and thank god the boy decided to stay home )
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 08:11 PM   #38
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Me and the wife went down to the local for a couple of beef schnittys last night.
I went parmi, so prob an extra couple of dollars there and she had a pepper sauce. But we both wanted veg instead of salad and that cost us an extra $4 ea (carrot undercooked too). Never had to pay for veg option before.

Wow.
And we werent in the nice bistro area either, we sat out the back in the sportsbar with all the TABpeeps. I was more disapppinted than mad, thats ridiculous (and thank god the boy decided to stay home )
And now we have owners coming out and telling us we need to accept spending $50 per main. Good job I learned how to cook!

We used to be able to do dinner and a movie for $60. That costs us over $100 now.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 08:31 PM   #39
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
And now we have owners coming out and telling us we need to accept spending $50 per main. Good job I learned how to cook!

We used to be able to do dinner and a movie for $60. That costs us over $100 now.
I would rather spend the whole $100 on a good feed than give those criminals in Hollyweird another cent.

How big is your deep freezer if you're doing three big shops a year???
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2024, 08:41 PM   #40
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
I would rather spend the whole $100 on a good feed than give those criminals in Hollyweird another cent.

How big is your deep freezer if you're doing three big shops a year???
It’s a 200lt chest freezer, plus the house freezer, which is surpringly big. We vac seal what we can, it’s amazing how much space that saves. It’s pretty much all meat in the freezers, as everything else is in the pantry and fresh.
Old 15-04-2024, 09:12 PM   #41
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

How are you finding the defrosted chicken and mince? Steak freezes and defrosts well, chicken is a bit how you doin and mince... I'll defrost week old mince and it's brown. Oh and fish freezes and defrosts okay too.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2024, 09:33 PM   #42
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Cant just be us. Groceries for the week just cost $511.
Me and the mrs, 2 dogs and a cat. Granted this was one of the weeks that included toiletries and windex etc..
No takeaways, home cooked healthy meals, mainly meat based as we are on keto. We couldve trimmed about 50 bucks off for dog treats and a slab of coke zero. Everything is home brand or the cheapest of its kind on special. No smokes, booze etc in it either.
We have tried going to butchers and grocers seperately in the past but it wasnt any cheaper, and surprisingly the meat wasnt as good.
How high can this go?
Us with a small mortgage, no kids and both on pretty good coin with work cars are now starting to feel it a bit.
I really dont know how young families are doing it with new houses and 2 new cars on finance.
I guess my observation is that prices never come down, but wages cant go up either because most of our industries are already struggling.
Whats the end game here?
if WW3 starts these prices will look cheap.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2024, 12:03 AM   #43
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8
Look at the positives. You both know each other well; there’s no spending to pander or impress. Can you imagine the wallet burn for some young buck who’s invited a prospective companion out to dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome
if WW3 starts these prices will look cheap.
And people on AFF will be moaning about the price of ammo.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2024, 10:06 AM   #44
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Three of us $250 to $270 a week.

My special dietary requirements add significantly to my bill; no chicken (allergy) no gluten and especially no, potatoes or other nightshade vegies (otherwise my psoriasis flares up and not just on my skin but in my gastrointestinal system - seems it is virtually an extension of the skin so it bleeds). But yes it has increased by about $100.00 on what it used to be a couple of years ago.

Jack being in a regional location like Ballarat rather than a capital city with less competing stores and likely higher transport costs won't help. Perth and WA suffer a bit too with a lot of goods (probably needlessly) shipped here from the EAST but places like spudshed and Aldi help by providing competition to Coles and Woolies.
Off topic for a sec.

Tremfya - from 70% psoriasis coverage for 20yrs to none in weeks. I eat clean 95% of the time, only drink time to time, exercise 4-5x per week, and get plenty of sun. Tremfya was the only thing that helped after years on poorly managed heavy meds and steroid based oitments and fobbed off by private practices.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2024, 10:22 AM   #45
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s amazing; really pleasing to read. I hope it sustains the results.
Old 16-04-2024, 11:20 AM   #46
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That’s amazing; really pleasing to read. I hope it sustains the results.
3-4yrs in no dramas.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2024, 01:53 PM   #47
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

hope no side effects in the future r b m, immune system as well keep functioning well.
I suspect your having qrtly blood tests.

Re gorcery shopping, damn buggered if I know how people bulk buy.
My wife being a foodi wipes up something different near on every single night, kids liked this didn't like that so some nights made 3 different meals.
Yer I know make eat whats ont he plate but thats how she ticks and got to say luv the variety.
We tried bulk buying, or go to the Syd markets, you end up having too much we found.
Maybe she just doesn't like to work that way.
Some cook in bulk and freeze many meals, again we just can't work this way.
She like fresh fresh all the way, no complaints from me thats for sure..
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2024, 04:49 PM   #48
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
How are you finding the defrosted chicken and mince? Steak freezes and defrosts well, chicken is a bit how you doin and mince... I'll defrost week old mince and it's brown. Oh and fish freezes and defrosts okay too.
The meat is fine defrosted, because it’s vac sealed there’s no air in there to make it go funny. I found the best way to thaw meat is for a few days in the fridge, especially steaks. Wouldn’t know it was frozen doing it that way. Only downside is it requires a bit of planning ahead meal wise.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2024, 05:33 PM   #49
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
The meat is fine defrosted, because it’s vac sealed there’s no air in there to make it go funny. I found the best way to thaw meat is for a few days in the fridge, especially steaks. Wouldn’t know it was frozen doing it that way. Only downside is it requires a bit of planning ahead meal wise.
Exactly, we always thaw our meat in the fridge, best way to keep the quality.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post