Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Eggy
Starter Motor

Default WS Manual GBox Fluid Change

Long day, what I was expecting to be 3 to 4 hours became 8 or more. Have recently purchased a 2009 3dr zetec manual. Decided I would do an engine and gearbox fluid change. It's at 97500km, I plan to change the oil every 7.5k, so this is the half way point between the 90 and 105 service. And I assumed the gbox fluid had never been touched.

Started with the engine, sump plug not to flash, ended up rounding it even worse, first trip to the shops, ended up buying a set of Kincrome Lok On sockets, very impressed. the hex part was round, but it got it off like it was undamaged. Awesome, problem solved and a new set of flash sockets. ( he who dies with the most tools wins).
Not much space from the top to get to the oil filter.
Luckily I just happened to have spare sump plug for my BT50 which is identical.

Now to the gearbox. Already jacked up, watched utube, couldn't find the drain plug they showed,it was for a later model, more internet research, there is no drain plug, sealed for life, more research, go in through the reverse lights switch plug. Unplug electrical lead, long socket, done. Found some clear plastic hose ( 11mm) laying around ( knew it would come in useful someday ) and a measuring jug, suck carefully. Ended up removing 2.2L, very happy, knowing capacity is 2.3L. FYI, 290mm of tube was inside the gearbox

Reinstall reverse switch plug, tighter, tighter, loose. Bugger, it's aluminium and not that strong. Another trip to the shops, ordered a newie, expect it 3-4 days, buy just a plug for the interim until it arrives, (reverse plug and gbox filler plug are the same size).

Fit plug and start to fill, small funnel and clear tube. Took about 15 to 20 mins due to the tube diameter and oil viscosity but so much easier to do than on RWD vehicles.

Car seems a bit smoother and the 2nd to 3rd gear change a littles less clunky.

In the photos, the left hole is the reverse and the right the filler ( it is behind plastic cover shielding the gear change linkages.

Regards

IMG_6484b.jpg

IMG_6481c.jpg
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
zabatron

Smile Re: WS Manual GBox Fluid Change

You did it the hard way..you could have just removed the selector interlock to drain fluid(the silver bolt below the filler plug)...but you got the job done anyway...well done!
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Eggy
Starter Motor

Default Re: WS Manual GBox Fluid Change

Thank-you, good to know.
I did look at that thing a few times and wondered whether it was suitable for draining or did it hold the rod behind it in place and if the rod moved could I get it back to where it needed to be.
For future reference, what is behind it? What is it's function?

Regards

Last edited by Eggy; 01-04-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 30-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
zabatron

The silver bolt is the selector interlock.It has a detent ball and spring attached on the inner side of the bolt.This is what holds the gear selector locked in whatever gear you select with the gear lever.Always select neutral before removing or re-inserting this silver selector interlock bolt.
Old 30-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Eggy
Starter Motor

Thank-you
Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
zabatron

No worries