Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #961
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Any more performance builds of this car? 0-100 must be quick once they wring some more horseypowarrr from that little na

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Are you taking notice, Ford Australia...?
I thought they died years ago (According to the media )

Last edited by flappist; 22-07-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: do not circumvent the swear filter, it will bite you
Old 22-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #962
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
A lot of people keep mentioning that it is hard to drive fast these days or it's not a good idea to drive fast.

But what I don't understand is why that isn't a reason why the 86 is not appealing.

Isn't that where the consensus is between those who love and hate it? -

that you need to wring it's neck to keep it reving and to drive it quickly around corners is what it is about. That's hard to do on the street unless you don't give a toss about doing the righty

If you don't want to speed wouldn't a tuff boat like my car be the go?

a shedload of nm's just off idle so you can give it a squirt at any time in any gear and then go back to being a good little citizen (don't need handling cause you're not going to go fast anyway)
Wy would you even bother comparing a muscle car to a sports car. Totally different animal. I know which one puts a bigger smile on my face.
Old 22-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #963
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't comparing the cars.

I was just responding to comments like this one (the suggestion has come up a number of times, so not just isolating yours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
After you've lost your licence a few times it becomes less about how fast it goes and more about how much fun you have driving it
I am just trying to understand why a desire to not drive quickly would be best suited to a car that is meant to be driven on the edge (light weight, 50/50 weight split, peak power made high in the rev range)

To me a car with a lot of torque is fun to drive slowly too. A high reving car with very little torque is a total yawn unless it is being driven at 10 tenths.

I get the guys who say it would be fun at a track.....

but I don't get the guys who think it would be fun on the street (unless you are going to treat them like a track)

And for the record I am the LAST person who would be trying to judge people who give it a squirt on the street. I am just saying if you are trying to be a good boy on the road for the most part the 86 sounds like a boring choice
Old 22-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #964
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was just responding to comments like this one (the suggestion has come up a number of times, so not just isolating yours)

I am just trying to understand why a desire to not drive quickly would be best suited to a car that is meant to be driven on the edge (light weight, 50/50 weight split, peak power made high in the rev range)

To me a car with a lot of torque is fun to drive slowly too. A high reving car with very little torque is a total yawn unless it is being driven at 10 tenths.

but I don't get the guys who think it would be fun on the street (unless you are going to treat them like a track)

And for the record I am the LAST person who would be trying to judge people who give it a squirt on the street. I am just saying if you are trying to be a good boy on the road for the most part the 86 sounds like a boring choice
Depends on the road, on my favourite stretch of road I can't exceed the 100kp/h speed limit no matter what car I'm in.

I know the 86 would be an absolute hoot to tackle it with.
Old 22-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #965
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Depends on the road, on my favourite stretch of road I can't exceed the 100kp/h speed limit no matter what car I'm in.

I know the 86 would be an absolute hoot to tackle it with.
The roads through kaikoura cheviot etc are awesome in a small tight well set up car...
Old 22-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #966
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Hm I have a couple of RA WRX motors in back shed..
I;m sure some go fast parts can swap over ..

Yes high compression !! But it has direct injection
which helps big time preventing detonation..

I would for go SOME torque for a vehicle that can be driven
through tight corners though.. Swings and roundabouts...

Both companies know there is time span these sports cars have
being popular. Going by past statistics...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 22-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #967
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree with this. Last car I owned weighed 1000KG, had a rear transaxle with inboard brakes, great weight distribution. Left my current barge for dead in terms of driver enjoyment if you drove it like a manic. As an A-B car, I have more fun in the XR8. With over 2-3 times the power and torque of my last ride, I don't have to wring its neck to get satisfaction from it.

I'd own an 86 in a heartbeat, it has its strong and weak points as any car does. It's not like you are confined to one car for your entire life...
Old 22-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #968
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was a subu motor surely swapping another 4flat turbo would work?
Old 22-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #969
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
If it was a subu motor surely swapping another 4flat turbo would work?
Greddy has already swapped int a EJ25...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 23-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #970
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Greddy has already swapped int a EJ25...
Should have had this engine from the get go....
Old 23-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #971
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

What about the FA20 DIT? Twin scroll turbo?

-221 kW 296 hp @ 5,600 RPM
-400 N·m 295 lb·ft @ 2,000-4,800 RPM

My guess is, Toyota wanted a fresh engine, to meet current and future emmisons regs etc...the FA is also lighter then the FJ series. Given that the FA20 replaced the FJ in the Liberty/legacy, i wouldn't be surprised if the Impreza gets the same...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 23-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #972
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

100 Horsepower per litre is impressive!

Remember, the F6 needs a fairly large turbo to match that!!

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 23-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #973
bingoTE50
Steve

Saw one on the road tonight in the Blue ,looked very nice . It sort of threw me a bit ,I thought for a second it was a Celica until I looked properly.
Old 24-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #974
atmoxr6

the motor uses toyota's DI-4, port injection as well as direct injection
Old 25-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #975
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was talking to a mate who's a manager at a big Subaru dealer and apparently it will be easier to get hold of a BRZ than an 86 as they are making roughly 5 BRZ's to every 1 86.

Current wait is out to 6-7 mths on the Subaru.

Had a look at a white one today while i was there, very impressed with the interior layout, everythings positioned perfectly and they def look the business.

Not sure why they bothered with a backseat though the rear of the front seat was hard up against it for me which renders it absolutely useless.

Bring on the STI version.
Old 25-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #976
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Man has he got it wrong, Subaru are building one BRZ to every 8 Toyotas.
Old 25-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #977
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Seen a red one tonight...

Low down, sleek and sporty.

I want.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #978
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Seen a red one tonight...

Low down, sleek and sporty.

I want.
I want...

Old 26-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #979
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually drove one of these on the weekend and haven't had that much fun in a standard car for a long time . Then the salesman drops the clanger order now and pay deposit and you may get your car in July 2014 . I would not wait that long for a Ferrari I am certainly not going to wait that long for a Toyota no matter how good it is . Also by that stage there will most likely be a few low k used ones on the market .
Old 26-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #980
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Actually drove one of these on the weekend and haven't had that much fun in a standard car for a long time . Then the salesman drops the clanger order now and pay deposit and you may get your car in July 2014 . I would not wait that long for a Ferrari I am certainly not going to wait that long for a Toyota no matter how good it is . Also by that stage there will most likely be a few low k used ones on the market .
I suspect they will improve the availability as others are watching and the FT86 is not the only RWD coupe available in the world. Hyundai have a T4 V6 and V8 ready to go.....
Old 26-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #981
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read this on the Private Fleet Website:
http://blog.privatefleet.com.au/home...e-dealer-dead/

Subaru have dropped a bombshell on their dealers with the launch of their new sports car-the BRZ.

They’ve told their dealers that they can’t sell it, as it’s only available over the internet.

They call it a ‘World First’. The BRZ will be the only car not to be sold through a dealership, as the potential customer is ‘able to complete the entire purchase on-line’ said Nick Senior, MD of Subaru Australia. About half the established dealers will be allocated a demonstrator, and a delivery fee will be paid to the suppling dealer, but customers still have to book their test drives on-line. And what happens if they aren’t on the internet? Subaru says they will have to borrow a connection or go into a dealership and use theirs. But what if they have a trade-in? Well, says Subaru, the on-line purchasing process will allow buyers to arrange a trade-in valuation if required.

In fact the whole process will be completed on-line by the customer, including choosing a colour, specifications, and choice of preferred dealer to arrange collection or delivery.

This is a very brave initiative by Subaru, and is clearly taken from a position of strength, in that there is very limited supply of the new and fashionable BRZ sports car.

But there is a very close competitor in the wings. The Subaru BRZ is virtually identical to the new Toyota 86 GT. They are made in the same factory in Japan by Subaru and are only distinguishable by cosmetic differences and varying specifications.

But the Toyota is sold in the normal way through nationwide dealerships (but still in very limited stocks for the short to medium term).

Other manufacturers, franchise holders, dealerships and importers will be looking on very keenly to see if this game changing step by Subaru works. Initial reaction has been incredibly successful, and the Subaru marketing team will be basking in their own success, having seen the whole of this year’s allocation of BRZ’s selling out to an eager public in 3 hours, even though buyers had to overcome website glitches that occurred due to very high traffic.

If it does continue to work (and this is an ominous start), will that mean that discounts, deals and car brokers are a thing of the past?
Old 26-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #982
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by something wrong

Subaru have dropped a bombshell on their dealers with the launch of their new sports car-the BRZ.

They’ve told their dealers that they can’t sell it, as it’s only available over the internet.

They call it a ‘World First’. The BRZ will be the only car not to be sold through a dealership, as the potential customer is ‘able to complete the entire purchase on-line’ said Nick Senior, MD of Subaru Australia. About half the established dealers will be allocated a demonstrator, and a delivery fee will be paid to the suppling dealer, but customers still have to book their test drives on-line. And what happens if they aren’t on the internet? Subaru says they will have to borrow a connection or go into a dealership and use theirs. But what if they have a trade-in? Well, says Subaru, the on-line purchasing process will allow buyers to arrange a trade-in valuation if required.

In fact the whole process will be completed on-line by the customer, including choosing a colour, specifications, and choice of preferred dealer to arrange collection or delivery.

This is a very brave initiative by Subaru, and is clearly taken from a position of strength, in that there is very limited supply of the new and fashionable BRZ sports car.

But there is a very close competitor in the wings. The Subaru BRZ is virtually identical to the new Toyota 86 GT. They are made in the same factory in Japan by Subaru and are only distinguishable by cosmetic differences and varying specifications.

But the Toyota is sold in the normal way through nationwide dealerships (but still in very limited stocks for the short to medium term).

Other manufacturers, franchise holders, dealerships and importers will be looking on very keenly to see if this game changing step by Subaru works. Initial reaction has been incredibly successful, and the Subaru marketing team will be basking in their own success, having seen the whole of this year’s allocation of BRZ’s selling out to an eager public in 3 hours, even though buyers had to overcome website glitches that occurred due to very high traffic.

If it does continue to work (and this is an ominous start), will that mean that discounts, deals and car brokers are a thing of the past?
Subaru must really want to cripple their sales figures for the BRZ .
Old 26-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #983
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Makes sense if its limited availablity, havent they already sold thier quota for the year
GT160, even car dealers tell lies to thier mates..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 26-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #984
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I imagine the company would save money on having to transport hundreds of cars around the country to sit in dealerships hoping they might be sold. One demonstrator model for each dealer, and then let the customer order thier own car online.

Look at any Ford or Holden dealer and the masses of unsold Falcons and Commodores sitting there for months taking up space and getting cheaper in value. We bought our 50th anniversary G6E in February last year. It had been on the lot for something like four months. They also had a GT that had been there for at least six or eight months at the time, and it was still there late last year.

Makes more sense I suppose to have one demo model with all the fruit, and then sell people the car they want with the details they want over the net and deliver them as they are sold.
Old 26-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #985
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Then the salesman drops the clanger order now and pay deposit and you may get your car in July 2014.
Its out to 2014 now? :(

@Flappist, I seem to remember the Factory its built in has a capacity of 60,000. With only a single factory making them......

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 26-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #986
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I imagine the company would save money on having to transport hundreds of cars around the country to sit in dealerships hoping they might be sold. One demonstrator model for each dealer, and then let the customer order thier own car online.
yeah makes sense. kind of also builds demand and makes you sign on the dotted line because you're thinking if i don't buy it today it will be even longer before i ever get one.
Old 26-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #987
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crymoarpls
yeah makes sense. kind of also builds demand and makes you sign on the dotted line because you're thinking if i don't buy it today it will be even longer before i ever get one.
Which is pretty much the case, given they only have X amount to sell in the first place.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 26-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #988
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
Which is pretty much the case, given they only have X amount to sell in the first place.
there are usually x amount to sell of every car.
Old 26-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #989
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Won't be long before the posers fashion statement is no longer cool and they will move onto something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I suspect they will improve the availability as others are watching and the FT86 is not the only RWD coupe available in the world. Hyundai have a T4 V6 and V8 ready to go.....
The Genesis coupe doesn't have a V8, its only the sedan that does, Equus?

And they aren't available in RHD in this generation.
Old 27-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #990
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

so clever

they have a limited supply anyway so they are using the opportunity to conduct market research on buyer preferences and online behavour

and creating an enormous amount of interest in the brand via the radical strategy

if the number of units they are permitted to sell is actually that low there is no risk by having some fun with the sale of them
Closed Thread