Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default !Gn|T|0n now on 2 wheels.

Well I’m finally on my open motor cycle licence. I’m looking to clock up a few hours on hired and borrowed bikes before buying my own. I was just wondering whether there are many Brisbane riders on here and where they enjoy riding. Are there any decent bike clubs or forums around?

Thanks.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
MotherNature
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You be careful matey ........... I know you may be able to ride ... its the other ****ers on the road ............

But congrats on the full licence though ;)
MotherNature is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

hahaha temp citizen!

lol kidding mate :P Congrats.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's one thing you're really aware of on a bike. The stupidity of some others! I'm not interested in using it as a primary form of transport; I've got the car for that. I'm more interested in weekend or early morning rides. No suggestions then? I'm a bit hesitant to hit Mount Glorious etc as you hear some shocking stories about other bikes there. Some less abused mountains perhaps?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
XAHardtop
Champion Goose

The cops love Mt Glorious and one of my mates came to grief there a few years back (he's okay now). Mt Mee and the Glasshouse Mountains aren't too bad if you want to get out of the way of the crowds.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

A friend of mine gave me the link Brisbane Bikers
I haven't gone for a ride with them, but my friend seems to enjoy their rides.

Mount Glorious is good, Mt Mee also good, Mt Tamborine would be ok, I guess... don't be stupid and you don't become a statistic! :
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
AUGhiaV8

Mt Tamborine has always appealed to me as does anywhere up around the Glasshouse Mtn... not as much traffic too. Can't help myself but to offer some advice though - make sure you devep a riding habit of making drivers aware you are there at all time. I could do nothing but watch a rider lose his life in the middle of an everyday road this morning (not driver's fault) - not the first time I've had to do this. Enjoy your two wheels mate (there's nothin' better), stay alert and take your time... there's no rush.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Brisbane Bikers looks like fun. I didn't know that M&W have rides; I'll look into that too. That's very humbling AGV, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm certainly not intending to be involved in any preventable incidents - on my behalf anyway. What times of day are best to hit the mountains – with regards to avoiding those who use both lanes to weave their way up and down at speed?

I'm not really sure on the bike I'm looking for yet. I really like the current model BMW R850R (or R1150R for that matter). A less than conventional choice for a first bike, being shaft drive and horizontally opposed but in the end I will probably decide to get on something a little cheaper to start with. I want something big enough to satisfy me for a few years. I've heard from a number of people who chose 250's (first hand from a mate with a 250 bandit) that you rapidly become accustomed to the bike and find the size and top speed characteristics a little boring.

I'm hiring either a bandit, a good old CBR250 or a Yamaha XV250 on the weekend to get a feel for some different bikes. Should be good if the weather holds. If not, good experience I guess.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

My CT-110 is for sale... It's a fkn beast!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
AUGhiaV8

My personal recommendation... http://http://www.triumphmotorcycles...a600_2004.html
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #11
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGhiaV8
Yeah that's a real piece of kit. At first glance of the URL I thought you were going to recommend the Rocket III

110bhp at 12,750rpm, 6 speed and the stopping hardware to boot! Quite an advanced sounding machine going by the specs.

GreenMachine, AGV... do you ride much?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

When I get back from the USA in a month I'll be re-registering my RG500 and getting back on the road.... gotta learn the roads arround here though.... Know the adelaide hills fairly well though... lol

Ben
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I had a big off on the riverside expressway a coupla of years ago and never replaced the bike. May eventually get back in to it, if funds permit.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work, I am still on my L's. Im hanging to get off my CBR 250 though. My car is faster. But it is still fun to thrash I dont know how I have kept my licence so long with it already. I can just imagine a big bike. You fang the first 2 gears and your double the limit.