Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #91
K.P.

Default Re: New BP fuels additive announced

You were a cheapskate indeed! :P In warmer weather it's only about 40 seconds (2-3 mins. cold) and driven daily would have kept your petrol system going (nowhere near peak) but all the Ford I6 engines except the dedicated LPG EcoGas and EcoLpi seem to enjoy their petrol drives immensely. That's what they were designed for.

I didn't worry too much putting through the Liqui-Moly Total Fuel System and using first the Mobil Special 91 and Supreme 98+ and it being thirsty, but it shook me the first week when somehow the battery terminal connection that powers the fuel-mapped ECU for the SVI system (think after a service before sale) came off unbeknownst to me. That was annoying part but it wowed me in it's performance on I think Shell V-Power but it did shock me how much it drank during the 4 days before the problem was found!

Oh, in answer to sulphation Liqui-Moly Total Fuel System Cleaner not only cleans the injectors, tank and wherever petrol comes in contact with ie decarbonates the engine and removes deposits in both the tank and engine too. Not only does it desulphate the fuel system and fuel but usually reduces fuel consumption through the life of the fluid. It's enviro-friendly - I checked with Motor-Active the Australian distributor as to desulphation breakdown products in the emissions. It leaves a thin film that lasts for up to 10,000k whilst desulphating and protecting plus increased performance still.

Not bad for $30.

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 10:38 PM.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #92
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
Mick...what people can afford is a massive point. "People whinging about the price of 95" as you put it in a dismissive, elitist car buff way does not transfer well to the general automotive public or the petroleum market when to many drivers their car is an a-b device, they may like their car but it's just transport to them. I too am a car buff but we are enthusiasts, so the social aspect of petrol pricing has to be taken into context. For many struggling families and people fuel is just another expense.

If you weren't trying to be political why blame one politician (wrongly) for something you perceive to be wrong with a very refutable argument - ragging on a female PM (Julia Gillard) seemingly because she is a woman using emotive language insisting she is/was responsible for human and animal deaths just isn't on, especially when as you finally admit after four posts, it was no specific politician nor party?

Anyway, pax Mick. I truly appreciate your knowledge. I entered into your thread intending on writing "A 1979 Aston Martin Lagonda". I saw a superbly droolworthy example in my mid-teens through the window of a Richmond (Melbourne) automotive auction house. It was blue, stunningly wedge-shaped and unforgettable, $76,000 mid-80's dollars. I pressed my face to the glass many a time - lucky owner who bought it!

I too love my ICE vehicle Ryeman, interesting reports from motoring experts in the USA where Tesla cars are on the increase opine that as yet, electric vehicles do not have the passion or driving excitement. One assumes that would apply to BYD cars (BYD are the largest EV manufacturer in the world) and other EV manufacturers. I guess that passion will come in time!

I still feel weird in hybrid or stop-start vehicles! The odd sensation seems foreign, and no engine noise whatsoever at the lights feels weird as a passenger. I've never driven one to be honest.
The point was not about the price of fuel, it was about the engine.
The price is another subject alone.

As for your comment on PM Dilard yes it was that the price of fuel that was the point why 91 stayed as it did, or 91 would of been history for a fact, you can sleep in peace that her minders backed that action at the time.
PM's don't run the Nation or their own Government you know and the point of being a woman is just dribble on your part but I know such a type is easy lead by trendy media hype and just love to run with such dribbling nonsense.

Just remember this was about the Barra engine we were taking about if you can keep on the same page for once, it showed the difference of the power ratings on 91 and 95 and 98 remember and it's not the fuel that makes the more power it's just that the spark timing mapping is being used the way that the engine was designed for. not to mention that if they only wanted it to run on 91 they would of dropped the compression down and not to mention that if they did that then you would see that using 95 of 98 would not make any more power regardless and that is the whole point of this subject about this engine.

You are better off using a lower octane than a higher one if it does not truly need the higher one you know.

The best performance I can get out of my 2015 car is by using 95 and 98 is not and I know this for a fact, but the book says I can run 91 and the manufacturer peddle to use 91 to get you to buy the car but it looses a lot of power down low and if air-con is on it's a pain to drive but I use 94 octane E10 and it's all good I am happy with that as I just like you don't want to be stung forking out for 95 but just remember that back in 1999 with my Sequential 5.0L that the price difference was 4c a litre between 91 and 94 and that I and my mates dad worked out that it was of no benefit to run 91 at that price for a fact. now we both travel around 50.000km a year and we keep track of such things because we are astute in such things and running a business and not just some yobbo who could not be bothered with such things.

But you know what if the price was the same with 91 and 95 would you use the 91 in that 4.0L ?

I had one idiot builder that had a turbo FG ute and I asked what octane he used and he said he had only ever used 91 in it, what a moron, yes you can run it but why 91 with a turbo. I would like to see the performance figures with 91 and 95 and 98 with a FG turbo. better still on a graph will show up just what I am on about.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #93
K.P.

We all know the Barra 195 stock tune deliberately produces three outputs for 91,95,98... it is unique that way. We DON'T know it was Julia Gillard as Prime Minister who supposedly stopped Australian Design Rules from eliminating 91, you've offered no proof and for the fifth time - announced that Julia Gillard as PM jumped in a TARDIS to change ADR on petrol in the Howard years re: the Barra 195 - when she had no power to do so.

Nobody, I repeat NOBODY is stopping you from buying 95 or 98. Enough ranting! I buy 91 and 98. And the choice to buy 91 RON is available for those whose cars run on it, which you would take away from them as the Grand Poo Bah of performance and damn their wallets and purses. E10 is 91 blended with ethanol.

I don't see enough performance gains on 98 when the petrol cycle is high so buy 91 if needed.

Enough politics.

I said PAX. It means peace.

Give up already.

Last edited by K.P.; 02-09-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #94
K.P.

Mick, on topic - (and yes I understand about fuel mapping and spark retardation, compression), whose E10 do you use? I personally haven't noticed much low-down grunt missing on Mobil Special 91 as such or on any fuel (including LPG except BP on takeoff) really...more the other way around. I find most fuel inc. LPG I have to be careful at the lights not to smash the foot down!

Maybe I've turned into one of those big 6 drivers that I never understood. "Why when you've got all that torque are you just meandering away from the lights?" ;-).

Now I get it, every time you mash the pedal down at the lights (like I used to) you drink down a big gulp of fuel. I figure I'll catch up and overtake a bit further down the road, plus not bang out my transmission. I guess I'm a safer driver now. And Melbourne congestion is getting to the point where you jet ahead only to arrive behind a slower driver or lights so I don't hoof it off the line anymore. I don't care these days if a less-powerful, cheaper car zaps off anymore. Maybe it doesn't bother me at all these days. To be frank, the power on tap is there aplenty, almost too much insofar as you usually have to control the power rather than reach for more...

Last edited by K.P.; 02-09-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #95
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Vitara is showing 21km/litre average over the first 8k on the cheapest available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #96
K.P.

I'm sitting on 15.5l/100k down from 17.5 since I've used the Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner. Impressive, and it's stayed that way on LPG too, must have decarbonated a lot.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #97
K.P.

Err yeah that's 6.5 kilometres per litre! However better than another FG XR6 driver I spoke to recently who uses 24l/100k or...well that's a litre per 2.5 kilometres roughly. That's normally FPV territory.

Last edited by K.P.; 02-09-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #98
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We all know the Barra 195 stock tune deliberately produces three outputs for 91,95,98... it is unique that way. We DON'T know it was Julia Gillard as Prime Minister who supposedly stopped Australian Design Rules from eliminating 91, you've offered no proof and for the fifth time - announced that Julia Gillard as PM jumped in a TARDIS to change ADR on petrol in the Howard years re: the Barra 195 - when she had no power to do so.

Nobody, I repeat NOBODY is stopping you from buying 95 or 98. Enough ranting! I buy 91 and 98. And the choice to buy 91 RON is available for those whose cars run on it, which you would take away from them as the Grand Poo Bah of performance and damn their wallets and purses. E10 is 91 blended with ethanol.

I don't see enough performance gains on 98 when the petrol cycle is high so buy 91 if needed.

Enough politics.

I said PAX. It means peace.

Give up already.
Look She was PM when it happened ok and it's a fact as I remember seeing her doing it on TV. and it's got nothing to do with her being a woman at all.

I could not give a freckle that it was her as I was happy and stunned that she did so in going against the hard left and Greens.

Remember the VW emissions hysteria can you, the sky was falling then remember.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #99
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mick, on topic - (and yes I understand about fuel mapping and spark retardation, compression), whose E10 do you use? I personally haven't noticed much low-down grunt missing on Mobil Special 91 as such or on any fuel (including LPG except BP on takeoff) really...more the other way around. I find most fuel inc. LPG I have to be careful at the lights not to smash the foot down!

Maybe I've turned into one of those big 6 drivers that I never understood. "Why when you've got all that torque are you just meandering away from the lights?" ;-).

Now I get it, every time you mash the pedal down at the lights (like I used to) you drink down a big gulp of fuel. I figure I'll catch up and overtake a bit further down the road, plus not bang out my transmission. I guess I'm a safer driver now. And Melbourne congestion is getting to the point where you jet ahead only to arrive behind a slower driver or lights so I don't hoof it off the line anymore. I don't care these days if a less-powerful, cheaper car zaps off anymore. Maybe it doesn't bother me at all these days. To be frank, the power on tap is there aplenty, almost too much insofar as you usually have to control the power rather than reach for more...
Good point and I will get back to you on it as I have to go to a political meeting now.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #100
K.P.

Hey I'm just pleased that I've stumbled onto a) Mobil fuel seems to be A1 stable and grunty (a happy mischance after only going to the one servo for months, they always have good petrol) that Mobil is consistently better across most sites - and to find their Supreme 98+ is top-tier 98. In the current line-up (as stated not used Vortex 98 in this car or for some years)...it has a lighter more sprited and peppy feel yet (so far) seems to be around the same economy as BP Ultimate, a formidable opponent. Mobil's additives seem to be very high class (haven't tried the Extra 95), their fuel used to be unadditised. Theo at Blue Power didn't mention Supreme 98+ as a fuel not to use when I spoke to him.

b) discovering the Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner. I've urged all my friends to buy some - it really is the goods. 36/38 positive reviews on the Supercheap Auto website, far more than any other additive. Looks like it's unfouled the fuel sender to a decent degree, something Motor-Active don't claim for it. I've spoken a lot about the drivetrain, performance, fuel system and fuel economy improvements, dramatic on a well-looked after car.

Have decided to either use Mobil's LPG in a mix with Supagas (like the last tank) or just alone. Supagas in this car seems to be not very economical in this car compared to my last although a blast. Mixing Mobil's in seems to keep a good wad of - ah who am I kidding, Supagas is the bee's kness being pure propane but adding some Mobil keeps some of the properties. This car just uses Supagas a bit too fast - two tanks now. Pity. Adding the Mobil restores the economy. I think I'll only buy the Supagas when I want a "fun" tank, been using Mobil and another distributor's (stable and good, forget the name will post it, Mobil's is perhaps a touch better) LPG only for some years.

Last edited by K.P.; 03-09-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #101
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey I'm just pleased that I've stumbled onto a) Mobil fuel seems to be A1 stable and grunty (a happy mischance after only going to the one servo for months, they always have good petrol) that Mobil is consistently better across most sites - and to find their Supreme 98+ is top-tier 98. In the current line-up (as stated not used Vortex 98 in this car or for some years)...it has a lighter more sprited and peppy feel yet (so far) seems to be around the same economy as BP Ultimate, a formidable opponent. Mobil's additives seem to be very high class (haven't tried the Extra 95), their fuel used to be unadditised. Theo at Blue Power didn't mention Supreme 98+ as a fuel not to use when I spoke to him.

b) discovering the Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner. I've urged all my friends to buy some - it really is the goods. 36/38 positive reviews on the Supercheap Auto website, far more than any other additive. Looks like it's unfouled the fuel sender to a decent degree, something Motor-Active don't claim for it. I've spoken a lot about the drivetrain, performance, fuel system and fuel economy improvements, dramatic on a well-looked after car.

Have decided to either use Mobil's LPG in a mix with Supagas (like the last tank) or just alone. Supagas in this car seems to be not very economical in this car compared to my last although a blast. Mixing Mobil's in seems to keep a good wad of - ah who am I kidding, Supagas is the bee's kness being pure propane but adding some Mobil keeps some of the properties. This car just uses Supagas a bit too fast - two tanks now. Pity. Adding the Mobil restores the economy. I think I'll only buy the Supagas when I want a "fun" tank, been using Mobil and another distributor's (stable and good, forget the name will post it, Mobil's is perhaps a touch better) LPG only for some years.
Well in SE QLD I have always been disappointed in Caltex and it's related that use it from about 1995 was when I took note of this as my wife had a VS V6 auto and it would ping from 5000rpm to 5500 on Caltex 91 and when I over take on the highway and she dropped back to 2ed she would always ping directly and then go away, but this VS was a real good performing V6 as I had driven many that were gutless or not bad but hers really went well, I suspect that it had the spark timing more advanced than most and some are retarded where they pick up from, they are not all spot on I would assume and one I know that pinged got another chip fix from the dealer when new.
But that aside using fuel in my VS V6 from new could do 218KM/H flat out but on Caltex only 205KM/H and they never ran clean I found out later as the engine would make a burbling noise when flat out, now it takes a good ear to pick this up. and remember we are only talking about 91 here.
And I had a new 1993 XG ute and it liked Caltex the best so go figure.

But I think that the Caltex fuel had changed of this year, now I do not know for a fact as I am retired and don't drive much now, but I use mainly United E10 94 octane and it is good, 7 11 has 94 E10 as well but Woolies is only 91 E10 hear but some have E10 94 or did have and with BP it was that you could get 91 E10 and 94 E10 but I have not gone near a BP for some time of late or Shell because the price is way to high.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #102
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: New BP fuels additive announced

Quote:
PS enjoy your buzzbox Fiesta. I've got a ex-Taxi.
Yes, I have a XR4.
But then, I'm entirely confident in both my masculinity and and the length of my phallus.

BTW: My XR4 would eat your taxi for breakfast. Not even going to start on my TTG.

NB: I have added you to the ignore list, but feel free to keep showing off for your little friends.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 08-09-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #103
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Once again, people wanting to have a go at what others drive and/or own.

I'm getting sick of reading off-topic posts that are simply having a go at each other. Obviously posts from the moderation team warning members to calm down are not working.

The next person I find having a go at someone about what they drive no matter whether you started it or not may very well find themselves having a little break from AFF.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #104
K.P.

Off-topic (briefly) *sigh* God has endowed me handsomely, to suit a large car under 100,000ks old no ex-taxi. Mildly modified but I digress.

I'll report on Mobil Supreme 98+ longevity soon, been laid up with flu haven't been well enough to drive 'cept maybe in an emergency say vets. Have to use up the tank too, it's not pure Supreme 98+ for a full report. Have driven this car on straight new formula BP Ultimate 98 so for me this question can be answered and generically for other FG drivers on stock tune.

YMMV in your vehicle literally!

Last edited by K.P.; 09-09-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 20-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #105
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Catch cans are good too -

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ns-really-work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #106
K.P.

Hi Ryeman. So there is a way out of grotty (as in gets) direct injection? Cool, was reading it was a problem.

Been meaning to update on the Mobil Supreme 98+ on longevity. What's it been, 3 nearly 4 weeks since I added another 1/4 of a tank? Well, it seems to have legs. Not a huge dropoff, all petrol is at its peak weeks 1-2. Still has ultra-maneuverability and tight road-hugging, low down power accentuated. This sounds weird but my car "dances" on it. Soberly at 4 weeks-ish, after the (normal) loss of some top-end aromatics, it feels like a hybrid of both Mobil Supreme 98+ and BP Ultimate - ie. a bit less peppy than when fresh but keeping the extra maneuverability and "dance" (sprightliness?) and low-down power at the rear wheels.

I'm preferring it to BP Ultimate so far, the "alive dancing" feeling from Mobil Supreme 98+ is great which I've never gotten from BP Ultimate.

Last edited by K.P.; 22-09-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 23-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #107
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi Ryeman. So there is a way out of grotty (as in gets) direct injection? Cool, was reading it was a problem.

Been meaning to update on the Mobil Supreme 98+ on longevity. What's it been, 3 nearly 4 weeks since I added another 1/4 of a tank? Well, it seems to have legs. Not a huge dropoff, all petrol is at its peak weeks 1-2. Still has ultra-maneuverability and tight road-hugging, low down power accentuated. This sounds weird but my car "dances" on it. Soberly at 4 weeks-ish, after the (normal) loss of some top-end aromatics, it feels like a hybrid of both Mobil Supreme 98+ and BP Ultimate - ie. a bit less peppy than when fresh but keeping the extra maneuverability and "dance" (sprightliness?) and low-down power at the rear wheels.

I'm preferring it to BP Ultimate so far, the "alive dancing" feeling from Mobil Supreme 98+ is great which I've never gotten from BP Ultimate.
You know what as for fuel keeping I have found that by adding a touch of 2 stroke oil this looks to helps stop the evaporation of the fuel some what I think, still doing the test as summer will be a real test. but as for my mower I add a bit of 2 stroke oil maybe 200 to 1 as I am using E10 only now, I found it a bastard to start with old fuel in the tank and as for my dirt bike that just sits in the shed for weeks on end without starting it, now what I do is add new fuel to what is in the tank and tip the bike on it's side so as to drain out the old fuel and then she starts directly with the 1st stroke every time, even sitting for 3 months it's instant.
Now with old fuel what I have seen is that the bike takes a lot to start and when it does go it's struggling to keep running with the fuel that is in the bowl, not only my bike but a mate has 6 and I seen he had the same deal.

Now with the mower she has no fuel tap and needs to be primed pumped 3 times to start but the bowl will evaporate and that's why I use the 2 stroke oil to help it a bit so she does not corrode the carby as much as the E10 she is harder on such.
But with the bike she has the carby full al the time because I leave the tap on.

As for fuel stored in a Gerry can she should be fine as she can not evaporate and keep it in a cool place off the concrete floor. but over time I think she still goes off a bit maybe in a year or so.

The bike I have had him full and give it some weeks and the fuel level she drops much more with E10 than unleaded, I think that it's the E10 part that evaporates off faster ? so she may become E5 ect ?
Old 23-09-2019, 11:58 PM   #108
K.P.

There's a product called Sta-Bil that you can add to petrol to stabilise it and it won't go off for a year but it isn't cheap, about $28. I'm not sure the alcohol evapourates...it attracts water which then separates from the petrol. You'd think some of the alcohol would evapourate too, but maybe not.

I've heard of the oil in the petrol trick but would a car appreciate it?
Old 24-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #109
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's a product called Sta-Bil that you can add to petrol to stabilise it and it won't go off for a year but it isn't cheap, about $28. I'm not sure the alcohol evapourates...it attracts water which then separates from the petrol. You'd think some of the alcohol would evapourate too, but maybe not.

I've heard of the oil in the petrol trick but would a car appreciate it?
Adding oil to your fuel in a car not good for the cat converter or oxygen sensor, but then again many a V6 alloy tec use 3L of oil to 10.000km and I have seen many of them with 3mm thick carbon at the tail pipes, so they must be hammering the oxygen sensor.

I seen an idiot mate would run out of fuel in his VS SS ute when we went out riding dirt bikes, he had a CR500 and he used the fuel for the bike in his car that was new at the time and I said don't use that fuel or you will bugger the oxygen sensor, but he rejected this and the next day he had problems and had to replace this and then he ran out of fuel again and did the same trick and ended up with the same problem with the car running rich ect but refused to believe me, as he claims such were faulty. must of been what the people behind the counter claimed but the moron never said that he was using 2 stroke fuel in the car to them. idiot !
So that's 45 to 1 oil in a car that ran out of fuel and added say 10L to get home and that was enough to destroy the sensor.
Old 24-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #110
K.P.

Yes, I natively wouldn't add petrol that had oil in it simply because well...one doesn't! Fouling up the catalytic converter makes perfect sense.
Old 29-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #111
K.P.

An assessment thus far, some months back: Supreme 98 is a lovely fuel. Low down rear-end grunt and skilful roadholding assertiveness is still apparent after 4-5 weeks, it has legs. In a direct shootout, actually more low-down grunt than the current BP Ultimate.

In combination with Liqui-Moly's Total Fuel System cleaner and using at first Special 91 but a good amount of Supreme 98 (last few months) and Supagas LPG the fuel economy is up 0.6l/100km over 7 months.

Supreme 98 yes makes your car dance and roadholding capabilities and authority with a peppy prance (feels great!) are highly, highly noticeable! The peppy, dancing feel does disappear after 3-4 weeks but still feels like BP Ultimate fresh at that point - which is interesting.

Special 91 I re-assert is the best 91 RON fuel. I added $15 worth (some 11-odd litres) yesterday when my FG XR6 reached a few k's above "empty" (as we know there's usually 40 minutes more unless really hoofing it hard) and it has the exact same strong, reliable feel that has me a sworn convert to Special 91 as the 91 RON fuel of choice - a noticeable extra grunt and again strength and authority which I have cottoned on to over the last 4 years.

Supreme 98 creams new formula BP Ultimate in my opinion, happy to be largely using it. Lovely, lovely fuel.

When I get some more LPG, it will be Mobil's. Supagas is beautiful and whilst certainly economical enough to use consistently and performance is def. the best, as a dual-fuel car owner we tend to use LPG to lower fuel costs, and the next tank will be Mobil, again as long-reported going back years and years reports being the most reliable, stable LPG win-win compromise economy/performance. I'm running on all-petrol for a short time prior to a tank look-over.

Liking both their petrol fuels (95 for me I've never troubled for) was pleasing to find that same rock-solid Special 91 performance

Last edited by K.P.; 29-01-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 29-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #112
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
An assessment thus far, some months back: Supreme 98 is a lovely fuel. Low down rear-end grunt and skilful roadholding assertiveness is still apparent after 4-5 weeks,

Supreme 98 yes makes your car dance and roadholding capabilities and authority with a peppy prance (feels great!) are highly, highly noticeable! The peppy, dancing feel does disappear after 3-4 weeks but still feels like BP Ultimate fresh at that point - which is interesting.
Well that's different! I never knew that petrol could effect a cars handling characteristics.
Old 29-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #113
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Well that's different! I never knew that petrol could effect a cars handling characteristics.
Good to know anyway as I was looking to renew my old worn out suspension but I'll just fill up with 98 now and it should be like driving a new car again.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #114
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Yeeeesss, must try that in mine, some 91 from the mower tank, then some 95 outta the outboard, followed by some outta the 98 pump down the road.....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #115
K.P.

It's just engine responsiveness resulting in improved drivetrain harmonics.

They (Mobil) claim it, (engine responsiveness for Supreme 98) it seems to be true.

The Liqui-Moly Total Fuel System Cleaner seems to add into it. Check the additive reviews on Supercheap Auto, most reviewed of the lot by a factor of 3,4 times, only two negatives.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. And if your rear bushes are stuffed - no fuel or additive's going to fix that! Read back through this thread, I'm not the only person to switch to it (Supreme 98)

An earlier poster said Ford Australia factory tuned for Mobil fuel for decades. My tune is stock. Synergy 8000 used to be the best petrol in Australia, Ford are American as is ExxonMobil; their top "gas" there is called hmmm, Synergy. The additising is the most recent here, for years after the decision to distribute largely through 7-11's Mobil fuel had no especial additives.

My fuel tank had been totally drained and filled with BP Ultimate after a layup. I still like BP Ultimate too, just like Mobil better.

Have a good day.

Last edited by K.P.; 29-01-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 29-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #116
K.P.

I mainly was adding this as a wrap-up because of the 0.6l/100km improved fuel efficiency, in these times that's a good thing for emissions.
Old 29-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #117
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"It's just engine responsiveness resulting in improved drivetrain harmonics."

Obviously you have evidence to support the above statement & it's not merely a string of words resulting in 100% bullsh*t.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #118
K.P.

Try it or not. YMMV, and frankly my friend just retired who was one of Australia's best bodywork/smash repairers, his shop when he was young and working there his father owned it, well that Melbourne shop was the first repairer in Australia to adopt Mercedes and BMW's paint system (the newspaper article was on his wall) - before chiming into this thread months back, I asked HIS opinion.

His mechanic used to be the lead tech. for Mercedes-Benz Australia. The last car my friend worked on then retired was customising extensively an Audi R8 supercar straight from factory to him, his opinion was "Supreme 98? Actually it's really good".

I occasionally have spoken to Theo from BluePower over the years and he told me the petrols he would advise against. The only two NOT on that list were...my two favourites, Mobil and BP, in 98 RON and we were specifically talking 98 RON fuels.

Some politeness wouldn't go astray. Y'know my uncle, he swears by Vortex 98 in his Subaru Forester, not other vehicles.

I love Mobil fuel now, others have said so previous and YMMV, try it or not.

Last edited by K.P.; 29-01-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 29-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #119
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At Mobil, it’s all about the details and bringing quality fuels to every driver, all across Australia.
That’s why we’re committed to getting performance enhancing additives* into every pump across Australia.

*At selected sites only

Supreme+ 98 (98 Octane) is a premium grade petrol enhanced with a high quality multifunctional additive package

The additive is designed to improve engine performance by helping vehicle engines run more smoothly.

We use higher levels of detergent in Supreme+ 98 for even greater performance.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #120
K.P.

It's good fuel, peppy and spirited. The last fuel as good (IMHO) was V-Power prior to sometime in 2013. They changed the additive package, just wasn't the same - not in my AU Fairmont Ghia (sold). It's decent in my FG, never used Vortex 98 in this car.

The Melbourne stock comes from the Altona Mobil refinery, which supplies about half of the city with base stock. Spoken to the refinery. It's fresh, not shipped in.

I think if there were more Mobil stations people would be less odd about it, I too snubbed 7-11 fuel for years. Then during a spate of price cycle swings, I noticed a few times in a row 7-11's were putting theirs up last, was surprised the 91 was really stable...4-5 swings in a row I bought if, and kept buying 91 (when I bought 91) there.

My local 7-11 has one of the biggest bays and rows locally, no biggy.

Last edited by K.P.; 29-01-2020 at 06:41 PM.