Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #31
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
You want to hope your speedo is accurate.
its about 10% out lol

was just being a tool. everyone is guilty of speeding. its too easy to do.
Old 23-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #32
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Also, im sure the camera cannot take a picture of the front of the car? (illegal, under 'PRIVACY' laws...) so if it was on the opposite side of the rd than it would have been taking pics of the rear of the cars driving towards you.

But be careful... cameras hunt in pairs... so while you were looking as the camera on the right hand side you may have well passed a camera on your side anyway...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #33
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Also, im sure the camera cannot take a picture of the front of the car? (illegal, under 'PRIVACY' laws...) so if it was on the opposite side of the rd than it would have been taking pics of the rear of the cars driving towards you.
I don't know, I was a passenger in a company car when we passed the speed camera in Kurrajong Heights and it snapped us going towards it.

So I'm a bit sceptical right about now.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Well if that was the case Ozfords and they followed up with the fine than I stand corrected!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #35
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Play it safe. Shadow someone going faster than you. That way they get busted and you don't :P Worked for me ever since I got my licence :

I think it's about only a few hundred metres. 500m seems a bit far away but I could be wrong.
Yep worked for me too on the Hume.

Got passed by 3 NSW plate cars doing 130-140 and then kept them in sight about 500 m ahead matching their speed.

Was doing this for about 30 minutes until a TOG in a fully marked SS shot out from the centre median (scared the crap out of me) speed up to some warp speed to catch and pass them, stopped jumped out and waved over all 3 NSW cars in front of me and let me go through.

I thought of how close I came to kissing my license goodbye and swore never again...pushed my luck once and got away with it.

Disclaimer - i was younger and more stupid then and I don't condone speeding except where safe and legal.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #36
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
IIRC - Redrum said it can get you as far as 1.5km away..
sounds about right
bjr22n's father is a cop. He said they can pick you up a little over a km away

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #37
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I have a photo of my car that disagrees with you.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #38
naxh96

same here. lovely pic of my front bar of my ute. good thing my old man was driving and me in the passengers. was at night too. old man copped a good ribbing for the next fortnight over it, and the fortnight after he got the fine.
naxh96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
sounds about right
bjr22n's father is a cop. He said they can pick you up a little over a km away

OK .... this thread is about speed cameras.
Tell me how a speed camera gets you from a kilometre away???

Even the highway Safe-T-Cams (which are far more advanced) can't get that distance.

Radar and Laser ... yeah they might be able to get that distance ... but no camera will.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #40
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But be careful... cameras hunt in pairs... so while you were looking as the camera on the right hand side you may have well passed a camera on your side anyway...
like hell it is,
// you cant blame others or get a mate with heaps of points to take blame, when ticket and photo turn up clearly showing your face behind the wheel.
hahaha go on ask me how i know .
god its hard staying out of any trouble for a year with 1 point option ,especially since 1 point effectively means no points first offence and your gone.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #41
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Do the cops use LIDAR over here?

In the Uk they are using them alot now, and they can ping you from a long distance...around a kilometer or more...
Old 24-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #42
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Yeah they do over here ... and i know they can ping you from a distance ... but the topic was in regards to speed cameras ... which have a very limited range ... probably 50 metres maximum.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post