Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Petrol Price crisis......

Well.............I'm sure we've all discussed this before in drips over several different threads and topics..........but recently it was announced that the new carbon tax could add anything up to an additional 30C per litre.............and in the foreseeable future.

As it stands......we're all staring down the barrel ( pardon the pun ) at approx $2.00 per litre by the end of the year.

As the owner of a gas guzzling BFGT290........It's really biting into my enjoyment of the beast and has seriously curbed my cruise time.

what the hell are we all gonna do when it costs us $120+ to fill up our average large cars and $90.00+ to fill up your average small car.

I used to drive home from work at least times a week to get out of the office, have a good home cooked lunch and get a real break from the office moronics..............now I find I can save around $100 a month by just staying at work and eating in the lunch room............friggin hell.............I never thought I'd see the day where our lives are being so incrementally impacted in such a short period of time. It costs me approx $24.00 more to fill the car than it did around the same time last year.

I also see that companies like BPR are now offering ECONOMY tunes for the BOSS powered cars as well !!!!!!!!! Sign of the times I guess.

I won't be selling up............yet...........but I know heaps that are seriously considering hybrids and even using VESPAS to do the rounds that they normally would have done in their large car.....

LPG fitters are booked 3 - 4 months in advance and even LPG is approaching ridiculous prices in many fringe suburban areas.

Are we fast approaching the point where running a car on a daily basis is becoming the bastion and privilege of the wealthy whilst the rest of us penny pinch to cope.........????

I've definitely noticed an obvious decline in the number of cars on the road in both peak and off peak hours..........I wonder what all those extra people are doing to get around now..........

Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate i tell ya right now, if they slap another 30cpl TAX on fuel that we the public already pay TAX on twice, I suspect all hell will brake loose.

Don't even get me started on the Carbon trading Bull, Just another way of making money.
Old 28-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Hi ESP, you arent the only one feeling the pinch, the F6 isnt as economical as people make it out to be!
I think it will come to the point where future generations will consider whether they really need a car or not.. Its much like the housing crisis for first home buyers, I believe people will adapt and begin to live in apartments etc in Australia and even in Adelaide. Luckily I have just bought my house and on a nice healthy block size, but it doesnt leave me with much room for running my car and I really need to think about those long distance trips and cruises now. Not considering moving onto something more economical for now, but the right foot is beginning to show some economy control..
Old 28-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Agreed here, my TE gets drivin to work and back thats it. So going for a cruise on the w/e is out of the question most of the time. Which is sad becasue i dont get a chance to enjoy the car for what i bought it for, driving.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
boss-290

Its already costing me $65 for a full tank to fill up my Pulsar. I get around 580kms to a tank.

Its gonna be tough filling up for $90. Especially on my Apprentice Mechanic wage.
Old 28-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Mate i tell ya right now, if they slap another 30cpl TAX on fuel that we the public already pay TAX on twice, I suspect all hell will brake loose.

Don't even get me started on the Carbon trading Bull, Just another way of making money.
completly agree...this carbon tax is just another money making machine for Governments and large organisations.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Would it be out of line to say buy some economical used car to go to the shops and work and use the pride and joy for fun driving?? At least if the economobile gets scratched at the shops you wont care.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
completly agree...this carbon tax is just another money making machine for Governments and large organisations.

Probably ???????...................But its gonna happen...........a bi product of the KYOTO protocol.

Either way............we're all gonna be paying HEAPS more than what we're paying now. I'm starting to struggle now so I can only imagine what it'll be like in 12 months time..................and especially for the poor underprivileged............the unemployed............the low paid...........students and others in the NON BILLIONAIRE club.

I see car pooling and alternative transport ( bike riding to work etc )as the key for short term relief for those that can hack that sort of thing. LPG fitters are doing a roaring trade............
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Would it be out of line to say buy some economical used car to go to the shops and work and use the pride and joy for fun driving?? At least if the economobile gets scratched at the shops you wont care.
Problem is, the little cash you save on petrol probably wont make up for the extra insurance, registration and maintenance costs of another car. plus their is the problem of having room for it.

If we had a half decent public transport system we could have a viable alternative, but the joke our system is now, for for many people public transport simply is not an option.
Houses are going up faster then infrastructures, which is going to be a big problem, the government is getting too greedy.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Guys, sorry to say, but it's just something you are going to have to deal with.

Start with what you already have. You can increase your km per tank by changing your driving style to a more sedate one, removing all extra weight and kepping things like alingment and a slightly higher than factory specified tyre pressure in check. Got roof racks that get used once in a blue moon? remove them. Buy petrol Tue evening or Wed morning before the weekly price hike of 10c/L.

This alone can get you an extra 15-20% distance for $ spent.

Having a second economical car is not an option to be honest. Running costs are far more than just petrol in the tank. A cheap scooter will still end up costing you around $50 a week, so a cheapish yet reliable second hand car would be around $100-120 a week at least. So unless you do 1000km a week it's not worth getting a second car.

Public transport is shite house, but for me it's actually cheaper to drive the car to work than catch the train. Driving also saves around 40 minutes a day travel time. Our decision makers should see how some other countries implement and use mass rapid transport... what we have on offer is shameful to say the least.

Just take the extra money needed from somewhere else? 2 less drinks at the pub a week, 1 less night out on the town a month, 1 extra family meal cooked at home every week?

If selling your big 6 is on the cards, do it now, not when prices are $2 a litre and every man and his dog are trying to offload their large cars.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
what the hell are we all gonna do when it costs us $120+ to fill up our average large cars
Dude that already NOW, not the future. My last two fill on the Territory have been at $120, but that's with 98 ULP as thats what my tune is set for.

I also live out of town, so not choice to use public transport or other method of getting to work or town.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

We'll live. Stop buying so much and you'll be right. At least we still have cars and live in a decent country.
Old 28-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Saudi Arabia increases production by 200,000 barrels a day, Nigeria decrease production by 300,000. And your telling me its not about the coin.

There is a simple saying. What goes up must come down. Maybe not this year or the year after, but a credit crunch is coming bigtime. Economies are going to go bust and we will all be left to sit and wonder how the f***n hell it happened.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only crisis I can see is when we actually run out of oil and they can't produce any more petrol to put in my ute.

Until that time I'l keep on enjoying the noise of the BOSS every time I drive it;.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

How would you like the Tax to be implemented?
Would you like the Carbon Tax on fuel say 30c or would you like a Tax implemented on your car renewal based on weight/ fuel consumption and CO2 emissions?
I guess we're still lucky, only having fuel at $1.70. I remeber being in Holand 5yrs ago, they were paying $2.50 then.
I'll probably get shot but ....... Whether this global warming crap is real, nobody knows, but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Cruise

I'm sure we won't be paying $2 a litre soon
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!
Bulldust!
Old 28-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Bulldust!

Come ON!!! Do you worry wether this Global thing is real? Do you have Kids? Do you think how all this could affect them down the track?
If this decision adds lots of coin to there warchest, so be it, they'll have to give it back in some way, ie/better public transport etc.
Would you be happy if elma phud said they'd donate the Carbon tax to CSIRO for R&D into Organic production of fuel so we don't have reliance on the the new wave of Terror? Probably not, Your probably only looking 4yrs down the road.............
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
what the hell are we all gonna do when it costs us $120+ to fill up our average large cars and $90.00+ to fill up your average small car.
Well I average about $115 as we speak and have been for the last month or two cause I use Ultimate 98 which is on average 13 cents more than regular unleaded. So its already hitting hard.
Old 28-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Skotty
Banned

Lucky my new job is as a gas fitter ...

And I want to turbo my EF at these prices.
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
Lucky my new job is as a gas fitter ...

And I want to turbo my EF at these prices.
and then what happens to you from 1st July 2011?
Old 28-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is fords new GP ( Grand Pushy ) in rapid, all you need do is slap a kenne bell on this puppy and your away.

DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #23
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

i think everyone agrees...
basically all my money i earn goes towards petrol because i still go to school if i want to go for a drive down to the shops or go for a cruise.
I new someone would screw up the economy its effecting basically everything.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #24
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

does someone know the exact break up of the cost of fuel as we pump it from the servo., ie operator, tax, fuel companies???
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
azaxr8

to true doc, what she running down the qtr?
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #26
MONSOON

The big issue is not that it is costing me more to run my car, the big issue is the price of fuel puts the price of everything up, tractors & trucks run on fuel(the more expensive diesel variety), so the price of food will go up, the price of anything that needs to be transported will go up, all the while the fat cats in canberra wack 50c a litre tax on fuel. It's about time this country's leadership came up with a tax system that was fairer, the way it is now those who can least afford it get hit the most, fuel, food, rent... Anybody who thinks ol' mate Rudd is our saviour, just remember how much better things have gotten since he has been in power.
Old 28-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #27
omn1potent

Exclamation Additional Discussions at: -

Additional Discussions at: - The rising price (and associated costs) of Oil / Petrol Discussion Thread.
omn1potent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #28
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone who thinks the government of a tiny country like ours can affect oil prices - a price determined by the global market - has rocks in their head
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #29
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
anyone who thinks the government of a tiny country like ours can affect oil prices - a price determined by the global market - has rocks in their head
I must have then , fact is we are able to be sefl sufficient in oil with some expenditures on alternatives but our oil is exported and heavy imported to make certain things including heavy grease , hence we pay massive mark ups on product which can be manufactured without importation . The govco does nothing because every step is taxed , now if we used other reserves and all made an effort the very large saving which has happened since fuel went so high would certainly make us self sufficient apart from a few items mentioned , now ask your self will it happen ?
I don't know but my main transport now is a bio fuelled turbo stinker
I worked out with the amount of bio material the average family produces and some algi it would almost power the family car thus removing the govco's power and destabilising its daily theft and rape of the public.... chooks and a poo digester anyone ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

its amazing how one thing can affect so much ! as i keep saying our wages has to go up ! or their will be more strikes more people will leave the work force bacause no one would be able to afford to go to work, why should we sell our cars that we enjoy to drive and why should we sell our houses to live closer to work with world it run by a whole heap of you know what ! while we are working out butts off to earn every cent we can and here are the big nobs doing nothing making our lives hell while they sit on their you know what and make all these crazy decisions ! and they earn you know what and yet we have to pay for them to live and while we are scraping to get by ! they dont care about the little guys they all care about the big guys ! we pay for them to survive we pay taxes to make them to decide to raise up the taxes would like them to see if they could survive on what us little guys are earning ! about time they get a life and stop making us suffer from what we enjoy the most which is family and cars
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post