Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 5000th RAM

Good news story for Aussie industry

https://www.caradvice.com.au/816297/...00-production/

Going flat tack at 24 hour shifts with strong demand.

And they went from 1500 units made in mid 2019 to 5000 now - excellent!

Edit: diesels to be in greater volumes by next year, Silverado 1500s join this line next year, and Nissan Titan conversions to begin in Epping if the comments in the article are true. We're going to make Australia America Again with massive utes!

Last edited by Sprintey; 24-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: 5000th RAM

And who said there was no demand for big US style pick ups here.

Would love to see the bigger 2500 and 3500 dualies getting around.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Base model RAM is good value at $80K when you take into consideration how much the upper spec Thailand specials cost with their wheezing diesel engines.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Base model RAM is good value at $80K when you take into consideration how much the upper spec Thailand specials cost with their wheezing diesel engines.
Yep, & cheaper than a Dual cab Landcruiser. For the Big Boat/Horse Float brigade More room, More Comfort & No DFP..

Bit of a Nobrainer really..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I was talking to a bloke at Robe last week with a 1500 Laramie with the 4.5t ratio and 350ci V8, said it gives him better mileage towing his 20+ft van than anything he's owned before, I mentioned the diesel and his response was why would you when the petrol 8 gives acceptable mileage without the additional costs associated with the diesel.
Happy as a pig in **** and it easily got all the attention amongst the dualcab brigade.
A sexy beast with a sweet note on idle, certainly better than the rattling diesels that surrounded it
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

and some pointed & laughed when they began the conversion program for these & laughed harder at the 24 line...

I agree with franco, If I was in the market for a duel cab, for the $$$ i'd rather have one of these than the Hilux, Rangers etc....
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just completed a 7500klm return across Oz trip and the amount of Rams I saw on the road towing vans and parked at the various stops was astounding. They easily outnumbered all other makes including Toyota.

Ford gave us the Mustang and needs to look at its trucks as there is obviously a huge market for them by aging baby boomers.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
I've just completed a 7500klm return across Oz trip and the amount of Rams I saw on the road towing vans and parked at the various stops was astounding. They easily outnumbered all other makes including Toyota.

Ford gave us the Mustang and needs to look at its trucks as there is obviously a huge market for them by aging baby boomers.
There is VDC doing the conversions here in VIC but they're not as keenly priced as the RAM.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
Lugh

Considering how popular it is to chop Patrol\Landcruiser wagons to get a large and well equipped dual cab, I'm surprised the big yank trucks aren't more in demand.
There must be a worthwhile market for, say, Toyota to make a rhd Tundra when folks are lining up around the block to pay top dollar for a Cruiser ute with an 80's interior, or even more for a 200series just to cut it in half.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
Considering how popular it is to chop Patrol\Landcruiser wagons to get a large and well equipped dual cab, I'm surprised the big yank trucks aren't more in demand.
There must be a worthwhile market for, say, Toyota to make a rhd Tundra when folks are lining up around the block to pay top dollar for a Cruiser ute with an 80's interior, or even more for a 200series just to cut it in half.
If the dual cab Tundra was available in RHD from Toyota at a reasonable price the sales for Landcruisers(utes and wagon) and Hilux would drop off considerably. Although overall their sales for vehicles probly increase, Toyota doesn't want another company(Ford) to say they have the no1 selling vehicle in Australia. The Ranger is the no1 selling 4wd vehicle in Australia, so Ford will not bring in a F 150 as they don't won't the Ranger's sales to be affected. The perception of what is number 1 to the public is why Toyota (or Ford) will not directly bring in the American dual cabs.
Old 27-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
If the dual cab Tundra was available in RHD from Toyota at a reasonable price the sales for Landcruisers(utes and wagon) and Hilux would drop off considerably. Although overall their sales for vehicles probly increase, Toyota doesn't want another company(Ford) to say they have the no1 selling vehicle in Australia. The Ranger is the no1 selling 4wd vehicle in Australia, so Ford will not bring in a F 150 as they don't won't the Ranger's sales to be affected. The perception of what is number 1 to the public is why Toyota (or Ford) will not directly bring in the American dual cabs.
Or simply because the economics just don’t stack up?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Or simply because the economics just don’t stack up?
Probably not worth re-engineering a platform to be RHD friendly when they have a market the size of the USA/Canada/Mexico to service on their doorstop.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Toyota Tundra and things like Honda Ridgeline are designed and built by their US subsidiaries right? Rather than ex Japan?

Nissan Australia is in talks with their US subsidiary about a RHD variant of the Titan, if not they're discussing with Premcar for the conversion ala HSV type second stage manufacturing.
Old 27-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #13
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

You'd have to factor in a GVM upgrade for the RAM 1500.
The max axle weights are pretty skinny for a truck.

2008 FG GT-E - Lightning Strike
2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia - Seduce
2007 BFII Falcon ES - Ego
GXA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXA View Post
You'd have to factor in a GVM upgrade for the RAM 1500.
The max axle weights are pretty skinny for a truck.
It's not a 'truck' it's a glorified ute - hence '1500'

What's the GVM and axle weights on the RAM 2500/3500?
Old 27-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done, took and a punt and it is paying off so far . Great news for jobs but we will see how it works out in the longer term.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #16
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's not a 'truck' it's a glorified ute - hence '1500'
Skinny for a glorified ute, too.
They quote 4.5t towing. Betting in practice it won't be able to get anywhere near it legally. The rear axle will be maxxed-out well before that....unless no load, fuel, driver or passengers....

Quote:
What's the GVM and axle weights on the RAM 2500/3500?
Axle weights:
1500 = 1770kg/1770kg
2500 = 2609kg/3176kg
3500 = can't find spec for AU

STD GU Patrol wagon has 1800kg max rear axle load.
My Patrol has 2000kg max rear axle load (GVM upgrade).
With 2 passengers, fuel, rear drawers and 200kg towball down load it's barely enough....

Last edited by GXA; 27-12-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 27-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Is the Nissan TITAN going to be a “Factory” backed conversion?

I parked next to a Ram 1500 the other day, absolutely loved it, yeah they are expensive but compared to a Ranger Raptor or Ultimate level Amarok, I see more value in one of these.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Is the Nissan TITAN going to be a “Factory” backed conversion?
Nissan Australia is in discussions with Nissan USA, I'd say its unlikely the USA subsidiary would be interested in putting in the work to make it RHD out the factory.

They're also considering using Premcar for the conversion - ala HSV:

Quote:
Nissan Australia is currently exploring two options: it still has not given up on a factory-built right-hand drive model but is also studying a local conversion by Premcar, the company that previously engineered and built Ford Performance Vehicles and which will soon release a top-end version of the Nissan Navara.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/798667/...tan-australia/

So yes, I'd say its 'factory backed' by Nissan Australia if they decide to go ahead.

We're talking sub 5000 units per year at this stage, its a huge inconvenience to Nissan USA - the only way I'd see this on the cards is if Premcar do the conversion for Nissan Australia.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Nissan Australia is in discussions with Nissan USA, I'd say its unlikely the USA subsidiary would be interested in putting in the work to make it RHD out the factory.

So yes, I'd say its 'factory backed' by Nissan Australia if they decide to go ahead.

We're talking sub 5000 units per year at this stage, its a huge inconvenience to Nissan USA.
The Nissan will have to be cheaper being a Japanese branded American Truck, but if they hit a 70-80K price point they will also start stealing a lot of top level duel cab customers from the other brands.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #20
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I would think the only one that might become available as a factory RHD is the next generation Tundra.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Skinny for a glorified ute, too.
They quote 4.5t towing. Betting in practice it won't be able to get anywhere near it legally. The rear axle will be maxxed-out well before that....unless no load, fuel, driver or passengers....

Axle weights:
1500 = 1770kg/1770kg
2500 = 2609kg/3176kg
3500 = can't find spec for AU

STD GU Patrol wagon has 1800kg max rear axle load.
My Patrol has 2000kg max rear axle load (GVM upgrade).
With 2 passengers, fuel, rear drawers and 200kg towball down load it's barely enough....
Right, so the RAM 1500 is about on par with the axle load of a GU Patrol which means its a viable competitor to the Landcruiser and Patrol, its in the same price range, whats a base model current model V8 Patrol and 200 series Landcruiser worth new off the showroom floor?

How are these weights effected when you go to something like a goose neck/5th wheel type caravan or trailer?
Old 27-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I would think the only one that might become available as a factory RHD is the next generation Tundra.
I think Toyota would likely be the only manufacturer to even consider doing this. It would be make things interesting.
Old 27-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #23
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Right, so the RAM 1500 is about on par with the axle load of a GU Patrol which means its a viable competitor to the Landcruiser and Patrol, its in the same price range, whats a base model current model V8 Patrol and 200 series Landcruiser worth new off the showroom floor?
Yes, the RAM 1500 is about on par with std Patrol and Cruiser, both of which are inadequate for towing duties....which takes us back to my original point about factoring in a GVM upgrade for the RAM 1500.

As far as floor pricing goes, Google is your friend...

Quote:
How are these weights effected when you go to something like a goose neck/5th wheel type caravan or trailer?
Don't know, but you'd have to think it would help....4.5t seems a stretch, though.

Old 27-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yes, the RAM 1500 is about on par with std Patrol and Cruiser, both of which are inadequate for towing duties....which takes us back to my original point about factoring in a GVM upgrade for the RAM 1500.

As far as floor pricing goes, Google is your friend...

Don't know, but you'd have to think it would help....4.5t seems a stretch, though.
I'm pretty sure its the same situation as the Thailand special 4x4s, they all claim they can tow 3500KG but they have payload issues and struggle to climb a hill with anywhere close to that weight on the back, they struggle as it is with nothing in the back

Does everything need a GVM upgrade or does marketing department need a call from the ACCC for everyone?

I have a feeling the reason why its rated so low is so you can still drive it on a car license.
Old 27-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #25
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm pretty sure its the same situation as the Thailand special 4x4s, they all claim they can tow 3500KG but they have payload issues....
....and you would be correct.....

Quote:
Does everything need a GVM upgrade....
RAM 2500 should be OK for most....

Quote:
....or does marketing department need a call from the ACCC for everyone?
Yes please....

Old 27-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #26
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We're talking sub 5000 units per year at this stage, its a huge inconvenience to Nissan USA - the only way I'd see this on the cards is if Premcar do the conversion for Nissan Australia.
Nissan sell bugger-all Titans when compared to the others. Like 2000 a month.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Nissan sell bugger-all Titans when compared to the others. Like 2000 a month.
Interestingly they've also recently discontinued Cummins ISV variant due to poor sales:

https://www.cummins.com/engines/cumm...8-turbo-diesel

Engine for reference.
Old 27-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Talking to the elderly couple last week and it was pretty clear that they didn't choose the RAM because it could fit much in the tray, in fact they didn't have anything in the tray at all, they bought it because they could get the 4.5t towing capacity with a petrol engine.
Not everyone needs a big roof top basket, recovery tracks, a bulbar, winch, room for a couple of trail bikes etc. etc. if all you want is a vehicle for a couple of nomads and a comfortable touring van, the RAM is the perfect solution.
That it looks and sounds way sexier than a Thai special is an added bonus.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think maybe instead of having a Commodore or Falcon ute and perhaps also a Cruiser or something else that is probably why these things are taking off, replacing two for one.

It's the only thing that really makes sense to me. Because if they can make it work now then why not before?
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I think maybe instead of having a Commodore or Falcon ute and perhaps also a Cruiser or something else that is probably why these things are taking off, replacing two for one.

It's the only thing that really makes sense to me. Because if they can make it work now then why not before?
When we had the Brazilian manufactured F250/F350 here it was before the whole Government subsidised FBT scams that incentivised all these Thailand specials.

People realised that you could claim on tax and have this do everything vehicle the kids fit into, tow things, put some crap in the back.

Like anything it takes lots of time for huge organisations like corporations to react to the market and trends we can all identify, smaller independent groups are much quicker to react to changes, they just don't have that huge level of beaucratic **** to navigate that exists in a large corporate structure.

Notice that Nissan Australia has taken note of HSVs relative success with the RAM and wants to follow suit? They've sat back while HSV went all in and have waited to see the results.
4 users like this post: