Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #31
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5000th RAM

Would a lot of it have to do with it being a tax deductible item if used for 'work'.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason I bring up the Aussies utes is they always had enough to throw **** in the back and you could tow a box trailer to go with it but not the towing capacity of these trucks. Now you don't have that option.

It makes me understand why these have proven to be more popular than I originally thought.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #33
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bet is the Rivian will be the 1st manufacturer to enter our market with Factory RHD.

This is why you will want one over the others.
It might take road rage to whole new level.
Imagine turning around like that if someone gave you the bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkxjHkOvYY

In our market it will be interesting to see how close it will be in price to the RAM ect, as they have the handicap of the added cost of the conversion, verses the added cost of being electric.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Would a lot of it have to do with it being a tax deductible item if used for 'work'.
Federal Government subsidised Thailand's manufacturing industry - good work lmfao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
My bet is the Rivian will be the 1st manufacturer to enter our market with Factory RHD.

This is why you will want one over the others.
It might take road rage to whole new level.
Imagine turning around like that if someone gave you the bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkxjHkOvYY

In our market it will be interesting to see how close it will be in price to the RAM ect, as they have the handicap of the added cost of the conversion, verses the added cost of being electric.
Agree - especially if priced in that $70K-$100K AUD mark.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #35
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The Rivian is going to start at $69000US. That is basically $100k Aussie without factoring in getting it here plus taxes etc.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The Rivian is going to start at $69000US. That is basically $100k Aussie without factoring in getting it here plus taxes etc.
That doesn't fill me with confidence because it'll be based of market pricing - if they can get $70K USD for it in the USA where the big three are half the price for the povvo and mid specs then it'll be priced against the converted big three here at that $150K mark I reckon.

Then they'll wonder why they'll only sell 3 of them
Old 28-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

given the RAM will now be made by the Frogs, god knows what will happen.

The prices for Landcruisers etc are ridiculous now, so its hardly surprising that an overpriced penis replacement like the RAM is popular.

Lets be honest, if somebody thinks dropping $3~400k on a combo, and then spending 50c/km, is a cheap way to see Australia, then Sound Financial Judgement is clearly not their forte.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

The prices for Landcruisers etc are ridiculous now, so its hardly surprising that an overpriced penis replacement like the RAM is popular.

Lets be honest, if somebody thinks dropping $3~400k on a combo, and then spending 50c/km, is a cheap way to see Australia, then Sound Financial Judgement is clearly not their forte.
Buys a lot of flights and hotels
5 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

You do realise they are used for other towing duties beside caravans !

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Totally, but if you plough your super into the rig, is it not true that you can 'double dip' and then claim the pension as you go? Ah, boomers. Back in early 2000s going around Oz on work contract with HJ60 annd 16ft van...

(HJ60: 10L/100km, 13L/100km towing, puts the new V8 diesels to shame. The maths of it was for every $ in fuel, put aside a $ for maintenance/insurance/depreciation. 14 yo car at the time meant not too much depreciation, happily. Work contract paid all this and more, so it was travel oz for a decent profit)

...we would meet them in caravan parks with huge rig of new 100 series and 28ft van dual axle etc, and they'd inform us over the campfire that we would be paying for their pension after the double dip. I truly hope the rules no longer permit this.

Lastly, French bits in 4wds... hmm the 4cyl French turbo diesel Patrol comes to mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I think maybe instead of having a Commodore or Falcon ute and perhaps also a Cruiser or something else that is probably why these things are taking off, replacing two for one.

It's the only thing that really makes sense to me. Because if they can make it work now then why not before?
Good point, hadn't considered that. After the HJ60 and ED Falcon, we "combined" them and got a Territory, the driving panache of one, and a bit of the AWDness and kid-wagon of the other. It was a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
When we had the Brazilian manufactured F250/F350 here it was before the whole Government subsidised FBT scams that incentivised all these Thailand specials.

People realised that you could claim on tax and have this do everything vehicle the kids fit into, tow things, put some crap in the back.

Time for this subsidy to end.
Old 28-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Talking to the elderly couple last week and it was pretty clear that they didn't choose the RAM because it could fit much in the tray, in fact they didn't have anything in the tray at all, they bought it because they could get the 4.5t towing capacity with a petrol engine.
Not everyone needs a big roof top basket, recovery tracks, a bulbar, winch, room for a couple of trail bikes etc. etc. if all you want is a vehicle for a couple of nomads and a comfortable touring van, the RAM is the perfect solution.
That it looks and sounds way sexier than a Thai special is an added bonus.
Big petrol motor and its simplicity in a new 4wd - I can see the appeal.
Fuel figures aren't too far off the modern diesels in the real world, if the Cruiser and Patrol forums are true.
And an auto petrol 4x4 on sand - fun!

Last edited by Sprintey; 28-12-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: naughty apostrophe in 'it's' in that context
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #42
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And just watching the Test cricket, what do you know, a RAM ad:

"Eats utes for breakfast" (gets me thinking of Turbo Terry ad)

An ad that is quick, simple, shows the product, gives facts about it (4.5T towing), advertises to the actual buying demographic, and as a bonus overlays the intoxicating, emotion inducing V8 engine sound - a Unique Selling Point. No walking fingers to be seen anywhere! Great stuff. It looks like the fellow that did the BA Falcon ads ('Can't get enough of this')is still working out there somewhere. Also looks like he doesn't work for Holden lol
Old 28-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Lol, a decent combo would cost less than half of what you're suggesting and so too is the cost per km and whilst its true what Franco says about flights and hotel rooms...you cant sell them back and reclaim some of your investment when your done.

If we're being honest, you're sounding a little salty.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #44
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hearing some great economy figures out of these on the Facebook groups with highway unloaded economy in the 9Ls per 100km

Towing economy similar to 4 cylinder diesels too. I’m betting around town they like a drink though, but should be dead reliable

Interesting to see how the optional next gen e-torque Hemi goes when it gets here
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #45
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

How does the licencing restrictions work with these types of vehicles?

Didn't one of the upper spec models need a LR licence to drive?

I recall that some of the lower and mid spec ones you could drive on a car licence had reduced towing and payload capacities to fit in with the car licence rules?

I wonder if they will introduce an intermediate level of drivers licence between regular car and LR once they realise there is a huge demand for something that can safely carry and tow a little more than our current full sized utes and 4x4's?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
How does the licencing restrictions work with these types of vehicles?

Didn't one of the upper spec models need a LR licence to drive?

I recall that some of the lower and mid spec ones you could drive on a car licence had reduced towing and payload capacities to fit in with the car licence rules?

I wonder if they will introduce an intermediate level of drivers licence between regular car and LR once they realise there is a huge demand for something that can safely carry and tow a little more than our current full sized utes and 4x4's?
In many states, such as SA, You can drive a vehicle with a GVM up to 4.5t on a car license and then add a trailer up to the vehicles GCM on the same license.
The RAM 1500 Laramie has a kerb weight of 2650kg and a GCM of 7237kg with the 3.9 ratio.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...icence-classes

There are restrictions on the 2500 when using a pintle hitch but then you're capable of a GCM of 11.4t so fair enough, you can still do 8990kg GCM on the car licence.

Last edited by BENT_8; 29-12-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 29-12-2019, 01:43 AM   #47
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Ram 2500 has a gvm of 4490kg which can be driven on a car licence. Ram 3500 has a gvm of more than 4500kg so you need a light rigid licence. However, the 3500 doesn't appear on the Ram trucks Australia website so maybe they aren't bringing them in any more.

RAM 1500, which accounts for the vast majority of Ram sales can be driven with an ordinary car licence.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #48
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
Totally, but if you plough your super into the rig, is it not true that you can 'double dip' and then claim the pension as you go?
I think it’s like property now, there is a “wait period” of some years between divestment and not factoring it in to calculations of eligibility for benefits.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
In many states, such as SA, You can drive a vehicle with a GVM up to 4.5t on a car license and then add a trailer up to the vehicles GCM on the same license.
The RAM 1500 Laramie has a kerb weight of 2650kg and a GCM of 7237kg with the 3.9 ratio.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...icence-classes

There are restrictions on the 2500 when using a pintle hitch but then you're capable of a GCM of 11.4t so fair enough, you can still do 8990kg GCM on the car licence.
I still don't get the stupidity of these towing laws, car licence drivers getting around at 8-9 tons GCM, there should be another mid class licence covering this size combinations as Yellow_Festiva points out.

Personally I would love a 3500 duallie but by the time you added all the conversion costs, paperwork etc (if allowed) I reckon I could buy a nice mid sized diesel single drive prime mover.

2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #50
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How practical would it be to enforce more licence classes, though?

Can you imagine the whining when every vehicle with something on a hitch was mandated to pass through the heavy vehicle checking stations and subjected to Safe-T-Cam monitoring?

It would go the way of the P-plater car restrictions on power/weight where they’re not enforced with any credible level of consistency.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #51
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I still don't get the stupidity of these towing laws, car licence drivers getting around at 8-9 tons GCM, there should be another mid class licence covering this size combinations as Yellow_Festiva points out.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and go further to say that towing a trailer of any kind should require a separate licence examination which covers towing safety and manoeuvring.
You only have to sit by a boat ramp or in a caravan park to see that many drivers have no idea about towing a trailer.

Last edited by BENT_8; 29-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How practical would it be to enforce more licence classes, though?

Can you imagine the whining when every vehicle with something on a hitch was mandated to pass through the heavy vehicle checking stations and subjected to Safe-T-Cam monitoring?

It would go the way of the P-plater car restrictions on power/weight where they’re not enforced with any credible level of consistency.
The P plate thing is interesting, I've seen them getting around in banned cars like XR6Ts and other various V8 cars, I thought that ANPR would flag a P plater in a banned car but obviously not.
Old 29-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #53
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The P plate thing is interesting, I've seen them getting around in banned cars like XR6Ts and other various V8 cars, I thought that ANPR would flag a P plater in a banned car but obviously not.

Anpr will flag a p plater driving an excluded car if that car is registered to them.
Same as they woukd flag a lams motorbike rider on a cbr1000rr if registered in their name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice powerful Engine - Check
Coil rear suspension - Check
Opening window between cab and tray - Check

These are 3 things I would want on a ute and no other ute in Australia ticks all these boxes.

I'm going to have a serious look at one of these when I want a new car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Nice powerful Engine - Check
Coil rear suspension - Check
Opening window between cab and tray - Check

These are 3 things I would want on a ute and no other ute in Australia ticks all these boxes.

I'm going to have a serious look at one of these when I want a new car.
Ranger could have all 3 if they combined spec. US Ranger has rear window to cab, raptor has coils, and US is rumoured to be getting more powerful petrols.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #56
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ranger could have all 3 if they combined spec. US Ranger has rear window to cab, raptor has coils, and US is rumoured to be getting more powerful petrols.
That would make the Ranger more appealing, but it and the others will still fall short in regards to interior room & tray size, and the Laramie is kitted out like a luxury car. The Thai specials in comparison are more basic than a Corolla or Mazda 3 on the inside despite having a price tag of twice of them.

I towed 3.2 tonne with a Ranger the other week, first time with one towing that amount of weight, usually 800-1000kg less. It was fine on the straights but not a lot of confidence to carry speed through corners like I would with say 2000kg behind it. I drive loaded B doubles & semis at higher speed through the same stretches of roads.
This is where the Ram would shine and be a more competent tow rig with its larger dimensions, heavier weight and stronger engine.

So I'm not suprised that the grey nomads hold up triple and quad road trains when they throw these big vans behind the Thai specials and load them to or beyond GCM then **** themselves when they try to go faster than 90kmh on the straight and flat.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ranger 4x2 dual cab with a 2.3L Ecoboost would appeal to me, the main reason I dislike Thailand specials is how god damn slow they are.

The concept is good but the lack of balls under the hood isn't.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

As soon as you put coils under a Ranger it's towing capacity falls considerably as with Raptor, why would you bother when there is a vehicle for the same coin on the market right now.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #59
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol, a decent combo would cost less than half of what you're suggesting

I didn't say it wouldn't.
I'm referring to those that drop $180k on a new Lexus (or even $130k on a LC) then spend another $200k+ on their van plus kit.

Obviously you can do it for a fraction of that cost. That's my point.
I still reckon that a well-maintained Falcon wagon, with extra LPG tank, is the best (bang-for buck) tow-car around.

And I just don't see the point in "luxury" vans. If you want "luxury" you're far better off staying in resorts.

The problem is that all these Boomers hark back to their childhood in the 50s, when staying in a van "by the sea" was a cheap family holiday. And now they try to replicate that in their retirement.

Quote:
so too is the cost per km
You'd be surprised.
Again, me, depending on range and availability I'd want either LPG, or a decent diesel. But there are Boomers out there towing with their Lexus. Plus if you opt for the petrol version of the RAM I can't imagine they are too frugal with a heavy load on.
and in the far north prices during the tourist season regularly top $2
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
That would make the Ranger more appealing, but it and the others will still fall short in regards to interior room & tray size, and the Laramie is kitted out like a luxury car. The Thai specials in comparison are more basic than a Corolla or Mazda 3 on the inside despite having a price tag of twice of them.

I towed 3.2 tonne with a Ranger the other week, first time with one towing that amount of weight, usually 800-1000kg less. It was fine on the straights but not a lot of confidence to carry speed through corners like I would with say 2000kg behind it. I drive loaded B doubles & semis at higher speed through the same stretches of roads.
This is where the Ram would shine and be a more competent tow rig with its larger dimensions, heavier weight and stronger engine.

So I'm not suprised that the grey nomads hold up triple and quad road trains when they throw these big vans behind the Thai specials and load them to or beyond GCM then **** themselves when they try to go faster than 90kmh on the straight and flat.
Reminds me of this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqpPpaOe-bg Note dash cam speed at the time.